• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls screens

RpgN

Dragona Akehi said:
Oh hey! It's a console game I actually want! Sweetness.

From Software is so heavily underrated as a developer.

So true. We need a From Software defence force :p

jiji said:
Other King's Field games (and Shadow Tower) did the muted color palette and bleak atmosphere long before SotC did.

That might be the case. Sadly I haven't played these games you're mentioning.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
RpgN said:
So true. We need a From Software defence force :p

That might be the case. Sadly I haven't played these games you're mentioning.

kingsfieldscreen1.jpg

King's Field 1, original PSX. Old as dirt, (ignore the stupid words on the pic), but this bad boy was 20 feet from the start of the game and mocked the shit out of you protecting that cave.
How many times had I tried to tangle with him way under leveled? :lol

Open world type games with huge bosses at the beginning (i.e., you can fight them whenver you want - good luck trying to win before at least 10 hours fo leveling though) back in 1995?

Yea, King's Field has a l w a y s been underrated.

I don't think the big thing about SOTC was the big bosses... but how you fought them... What other game let you climb all the way up those big bosses like it was a huge moving platform in a platform game?

Hopefully the difficulty [not too hard?] changes as you progress through the game rather than have a fixed stat for them.

they should also have an online area to create items and trade with others or something. [:lol i'm going to pimp this out until it happens. FFXIII was first. then WKC. and now this ;P]

Durante

B!TCH said:
It's such a joke. The people making this game don't respect the people that play their games and that's why they are making a game that is an affront to the game player's better judgement.
Oh, you're a joke poster. Carry on then.

FirewalkR

B!TCH said:
Look at that garbage. What is that? A generic looking gargoyle carrying a sword? Give me a break. This is what passes for good game design these days? The developers should be ashamed of themselves.

Games like this just make gamers seem like immature idiots...

Wat
roll

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
chaostrophy said:
Because some of us have played King's Field games. You obviously have not, because if you had, you'd know that the appeal of them does not come across very well in screenshots. The series is about subtlety and atmosphere and amazing level design. Generic RPGs possess none of those qualities while King's Field has all of them in spades.

That's fair. I haven't played King's Field but since when is playing a game a requirement for judging it's appearance in a screen shot thread? Even if this game has the most amazing gameplay it doesn't change the fact that it is insipid in it's visual execution. Just because you associate the developer with a game you liked does not mean this game, Demon's Souls, will be any good. You haven't played the game either so how can you say that with any confidence? That is just as "shallow" as judging a game based on it's visual merits. Judging a game based on the branding on the box is exactly why companies like EA are able to flourish financially despite the overall mediocrity of most of their titles.

birdchili

this is going to be great.

i hope they keep the understated storytelling that really helped the atmosphere of the king's field games. leaving a lot of things merely alluded to really helped the tone.

that kraken at the beginning of kf1 was so great. king's field is one of those games where it's pretty easy to wander somewhere that's *way* over your head if you're not careful: "i should *not* be here right now"... of course, you could score some really great stuff by being daring/cocky/stupid, which is always a fine balance to have. scoping out new areas should always be a bit nerve wracking.

no one seems to asnwer my question.

is this a more dungeon crawler type of game? or will there be npc, side quests, story plot twist etc

birdchili

king's field is pretty-much a dungeon crawler. there are very few npcs, and it's way more about a sense of place than it is about any overarching plot. there's definitely story to uncover, but it's expressed as much through the environments as it is though conversations. there are no cut scenes.

of course, we're not sure what they thought the "changes" were that needed to be made to king's field, so this game may play out considerably differently.

Raistlin

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

I'm at work and can't see the pix!!11!! >_<

King's Field is one of my favorite series!!!!

So pumped!!!

Raistlin

makingmusic476 said:
Hype deflated. I like my games a bit more linear, revolving around a good story, with any side quests involving very personal NCPs (Majora's Mask, for example).

I couldn't stand Oblivion. But then I did enjoy Neverwinter Nights, so maybe my experience with WRPGs is just a bit lacking.

I guess you haven't played King's Field, have you. They were always pretty open.

Raistlin

John Harker said:
kingsfieldscreen1.jpg

King's Field 1, original PSX. Old as dirt, (ignore the stupid words on the pic), but this bad boy was 20 feet from the start of the game and mocked the shit out of you protecting that cave.
How many times had I tried to tangle with him way under leveled? :lol

You and me both brother. From just had to put him so close to the start. Even though you could simply go around him, or go in the other direction ... nope, you had to p0wn yourself 10 times in a row before letting him be :lol

Open world type games with huge bosses at the beginning (i.e., you can fight them whenver you want - good luck trying to win before at least 10 hours fo leveling though) back in 1995?

Yea, King's Field has a l w a y s been underrated.

Yep. And there's just something about the worlds From created. Even though the early games were fairly barren at times, something just grabs you and makes you want to explore every nook and cranny.

Raistlin

Callibretto said:
no one seems to asnwer my question.

is this a more dungeon crawler type of game? or will there be npc, side quests, story plot twist etc

Based on the prior ones, its kind of a sandbox crawler. Actually, the first one almost felt like an open TombRaider in some ways, at least as far as exploration went. Generally, plot is pretty light; some NPC's. As birdchili stated, its all about the world.

That said, who knows what they plan for this, since Sony is invovled in the direction.

John Harker

King's Field games always set you down in a degraded, myopic environment from some long lost civilization or some forgotten island or forest. There is lots of backstory - usually found in the booklet or the opening scenes - that set the pace and tone of the story, and then you're stranded alone. You don't speak either. But it's fine, because the music is usually haunting and symphonic with lots of dark colors and fog and never any sunlight.

You have to explore ruined areas - usually massive, and open world, with none of that "invisible barrier" shit that prevents under leveled characters from entering - and you can discover what destroyed the civilization or what ancient rituals used to take place in this area as you explore. The end result is usually very similiar - find the Moonlight Sword, and kill some dragon or god.

You'll find some old races or some other stranded citizens along the way that you can help do quests for. Usually they are depressed, lonely, lost, and missing an herb or something. Many die, but you usually get a crystal flask from their corpse. Hell, you can kill NPCs if you want for some gold :)

You get experience and level. All battles are first person real time combat. Usually you fire a windcutter, charge in for a katana slash, circle strafe to the back, and hack away at a Mantrap with a mace till it dies. Then you wander around for awhile, hoping not to end up in a zone you are waaaaaaaay too weak to be in. Maybe grab a weapon lying around and high tail your ass out of there till you are strong enough to proceed. It really is brilliant.

Oh did I mention THE SECRETS?! There are absolutely *no hints* at all where hidden walls and booby traps are. You just walk up to every wall you see and press XXXXXXX constantly and get super excited when the wall suddenly slides up to reveal a hidden chest. Usually contains a skeleton. Or a spear through your chest. Cue death scream. Ahh, good memories.

Man I miss King's Field.

Raistlin

:)

Stop ... you're killing me. I can't even see the pics for god's sake ... and we have no idea when its coming out!

nah ... keep going!!!! :p

John Harker

I could go all day. When do we EVER get a chance to talk about KF?!

Have you played Shadow Tower or Shadow Tower: Abyss?
Never got to play Abyss as it never came to NA... but this Demon's Souls artstyle reminds me a bit more of that series than KFs.

eXistor

I always wanted to play these games, but never really got the chance I never even saw them in the shops where I live...

Which one would be the best for a first-timer?

birdchili

eXistor said:
The Ancient City (ps2) is great, though I did like the maps for the ps1 games a bit more. still, TAC is as good a place to start as any, and slightly prettier (plus, i expect kf1/2 are somewhat difficult to find in stores now).

tread carefully and carry a big stick.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Laguna said:
lol It´s like some Sonyfans really believe that SotC was the first game with big enemies :lol Here a picture of another FromSoftware game on Xbox

I don't think people are referring exclusively to the big flying manta-thing when they say it looks SotC inspired, so much as they're referring to the overall scale of the game.

And while Otogi and Otogi 2 had a few large bosses, you were confined to rather small arenas while fighting them. The descriptions of this game as being open world tend more toward comparisons to SotC than to the mission-based Otogi.

Doubledex

Banned
B!TCH said:
How many times have we seen this type of art style and game before? Need I again point out that the game is called Demon's Souls? I believe that was the subtitle of a PS2 game or some variation there of. It's such a joke. The people making this game don't respect the people that play their games and that's why they are making a game that is an affront to the game player's better judgement. We've already played this game a million times before. Why can't they at least make something that is at least interesting to look at?

http://i34.tinypic.com/242dj7l.jpg[IMG]
Look at that garbage. What is that? A generic looking gargoyle carrying a sword? Give me a break. This is what passes for good game design these days? The developers should be ashamed of themselves.

Games like this just make gamers seem like immature idiots...

Oops, too late.

My opinion is the counter opinion. This game looks really bad.[/QUOTE]
:lol :lol :lol what an Id+t

Raistlin

John Harker said:
I could go all day. When do we EVER get a chance to talk about KF?!

Not enough!!!

Have you played Shadow Tower or Shadow Tower: Abyss?
Never got to play Abyss as it never came to NA... but this Demon's Souls artstyle reminds me a bit more of that series than KFs.

Those are the only ones I missed. Played the King's Field series and Eternal Ring.

Crap, I may end up replaying through Ancient City just get the juices flowing!

John Harker

eXistor said:
I always wanted to play these games, but never really got the chance I never even saw them in the shops where I live...

Get your hands on this bad boy!!

king_field_dark_side_store.jpg

B000KE7H16.09._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36326315_.jpg

This month, the company collects four games from the King's Field series and includes a few bonuses to round out the King's Field love.

- King's Field I [Playstation]
- King's Field II [Playstation]
- King's Field III [Playstation]
- King's Field IV [Playstation 2]
- Memorial Disc [DVD-Video]
- Best Soundtrack [CD-Rom]
- Premium Visual Book, Operating Manual, and Verdite World Map

Philthy

Surprising responses since Enchanted Arms seems to be universally hated. I happened to think it was pretty decent. I also loved Chromehounds. Couldn't stand the Armored Core games..

So I'm not sure where that leaves me. I guess I'd like to look at some clips and get more info. The graphics definitely look up to par (As has been the case with all their games).

B!TCH said:
That's fair. I haven't played King's Field but since when is playing a game a requirement for judging it's appearance in a screen shot thread? Even if this game has the most amazing gameplay it doesn't change the fact that it is insipid in it's visual execution.

If it ends up being a real spiritual sequel to King's Field, it will not be insipid in its visual execution. Screenshots of King's Field: The Ancient City look boring too. But the game is a visual treat if you appreciate subtlety and atmosphere. While some games (especially modern JRPGs) make an effort to constantly be showing the player something artistic and beautiful, King's Field is about creating a fantasy world that doesn't just feel like a stage. It has gorgeous sights, and it has parts that are more dull but still look and feel like actual places rather than videogame levels, and both require a great deal of visual artistry to pull off.

B!TCH said:
Just because you associate the developer with a game you liked does not mean this game, Demon's Souls, will be any good. You haven't played the game either so how can you say that with any confidence?

Of course I can't say with any confidence that the game will be good. All I can say is that I'm looking forward to investing my time in it.

Cool, this kind of came out of nowhere for me.

I like the look. I vastly prefer the theme of this type of game to the "anime style" theme you find in most JRPGs.

Those screens look pretty good. Hopefully it turns out playable.

Trevelyan

Banned
I really, REALLY love the last pic in the OP. The huge bird nest in the background with the bird flying around it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Oh God exploring this world is gonna be such a blast.

Isn't it strange that without ever having heard the name of this game before, and with no information about it whatsoever, I knew it was on PS3 just by looking at the first screenshot?

Trevelyan

Banned
FutureZombie said:
Isn't it strange that without ever having heard the name of this game before, and with no information about it whatsoever, I knew it was on PS3 just by looking at the first screenshot?
It looks that fucking awesome, huh?

Raistlin

*finally sees the pics in the OP*

*fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap*

Really hope this is 1st person though.

gbovo

FutureZombie said:
That can either mean a good thing, or a troll thing.

Raistlin

nelsonroyale said:
third person

The pics show 3rd person, but has it been confirmed you won't be able to play in 1st person?

I really don't see how it could be the 'spiritual successor' to King's Field and not play in 1st person.

Onix said:
The pics show 3rd person, but has it been confirmed you won't be able to play in 1st person?

I really don't see how it could be the 'spiritual successor' to King's Field and not play in 1st person.

Possibility is slim since the developers mentioned how they want animation and physics to be realistic.

Top Bottom