• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - 1 Year On, Looking back at cut content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carn82

Don't forget this art was released before the game came out:

Showing the Taken...

v2jjwwi6zf1f0kbf0npn.jpg

And Oryx's fleet....

Destiny-1.jpg

To be honest, 'tons' of concept art doesnt end up in a game during game development. Actually, one could turn it around for Destiny and marvel that a lot of the art has actually ended up in the game.

But yeah, I also do believe a lot was scrapped. I hope I hope they can fix things, since I still like playing the game with friends. And that's pretty much the whole deal, the game doesnt interested me for solo playing.

nOoblet16

Just because there were concept art for the Taken before the game's release or that there was an area in the game world doesn't mean it was ready to be included in the game as a shipped product. The HoW last mission area for example could be accessed before HoW came out but it was 10 times smaller than what you see in the actual mission and had no working platforms or whatsoever.

What I am getting at is that it's very rarely do you find post release content that is entirely created from scratch and had development on it started only after the game's release. They couldn't possibly have made everything for The Taken King from scratch in one year and shipped it as well within this year.

The game had a troubled development but the notion that they actively went out of the way to remove most of the content so that they can release it as DLC is just mad.

I had a lot of fun playing PVP, but the campaign was boring as hell and the story was non-existent. The gameplay is really solid, it's just everything else about the game that's the problem.

It's easy to tell the difference between Destiny critics who play regularly and critics who haven't even played the game (or gave up after a few hours). The former have many of the same legitimate complaints -- like "why are there still no POE checkpoints?" and "how has Bungie still not figured out a solution for lag switching?" -- while the latter go on and on about voice acting and grinding as if it's still September.
This post is really stupid and the thread would be better off without it. I hope you regret making it after rereading it.

I wouldn't expect someone who didn't like the game to invest hundreds of hours into it, so I just find it funny to see a poster dismissing others opinions on the game as illegitimate for that very reason.

I'm a pretty casual Destiny player in comparison to some of you, I've got about 25 hours in the game spent mostly in PVP. I don't think my opinion on the game's terrible campaign and story is any less relevant than someone who's completed it 100 times.

There's some content I'll never experience, but that's by their design, for example, I'll probably never experience the Raids because there's no ingame matchmaking and the social features within the game are so poor that it's unlikely I'll find people to play with ingame.
I've also never read the Grimoire Cards, because I haven't bothered to go to their website to read them, but again, that is by their design. I suppose I'm missing a huge chunk of story, but I'll never know because it wasn't in the game. I don't understand why the Grimoire Cards couldn't have been included in a menu ingame.

This game is the disappointment of a lifetime for me.

How this studio has fallen - an obsession with mmo gameplay design ruining everything. I find the mmo grind, obscure strategy and rare drop focused design to be a total bore. I don't get any excitement over repeating content to get another pill at the slot machine.

I enjoy a game that gives me a vast skillset and a challenging opponent or environment to use it in

kiguel182

I've recently got back into Destiny and as much as I like to play it currently (and the chances and additions they make really improved the game) it really is a shame that so many stuff got cut. It could've been so much more and while still great is hard not to wonder how things could've been.

Kyoufu

I love Destiny. It was disappointing at launch since they clearly cut or held content back for whatever reason but today they have a solid game that I've spent hundreds of hours on.

Now that they have a second studio helping them with content creation then I have big expectations going forward. The Taken King looks like a meaty offering which means I'm surely spending even more time with the game. Bring it on.

down 2 orth

Because the alternative is sitting through way more cutscenes that all centered around a muddled and frankly stupid story. Allegedly.

I'm not saying that releasing Destiny the way they did gave it a good story; it obviously didn't. There almost is no story (and yeah, a ton of it is hidden behind little playing cards... that you can't even read in the fucking game).

But no story can be better than convoluted awful story.

I think the OG story sounded awesome. And bold.

My personal theory, and it's just that, is that given all the patriotic bullshit that Activision loves to push down our throats in the CoD franchise, they just didn't like a story that forces the player to question the authority of his supposed leader. It doesn't take much for that kind move in the workplace either, nor to have a Bungie exec take credit for the call so that nobody else sees the boat being rocked.

tuxfool

Banned
Just because there were concept art for the Taken before the game's release or that there was an area in the game world doesn't mean it was ready to be included in the game as a shipped product. The HoW last mission area for example could be accessed before HoW came out but it was 10 times smaller than what you see in the actual mission and had no working platforms or whatsoever.

What I am getting at is that it's very rarely do you find post release content that is entirely created from scratch and had development on it started only after the game's release. They couldn't possibly have made everything for The Taken King from scratch in one year and shipped it as well within this year.

The game had a troubled development but the notion that they actively went out of the way to remove most of the content so that they can release it as DLC is just mad.

For sure, but as others have said this game did show a lot of snippets of content pre-release that ended up being appropriated as DLC in one form or another. Maybe it is reflective of the lack of content overall or their original optimism for the game, but I've yet to see a similar situation in any other game. This media seemingly predates the time when they started slashing and burning through their design.

Z3M0G

They would not show off content and characters long before release who were intended for DLC that was to come 6 months after release... that makes no sense at all. Everything shown to us before launch was intended to be in the initial release. We should not even be disputing that.

your answer is already wrong, the video is okay at best but it really has some poor points. I also think your assumption that they cut all the content to sell it back to us like they have been sitting on it complete for a year is wrong and pretty crazy.

Now I do agree with you about development having problems and Activision coming in and forcing them to release with the content they had finished.

Destiny has its issues but it still is an great experience.

Read his post again. I dont think you got it.

BokehKing

Banned
I find the mmo grind, obscure strategy and rare drop focused design to be a total bore. I don't get any excitement over repeating content to get another pill at the slot machine.
Then do not play any sort of MMO'S, you're not built for the grind, some people are, and have 'repeated content' numerous times in past games and knew what they were getting themselves use to by betas end.

I think the OG story sounded awesome. And bold.

My personal theory, and it's just that, is that given all the patriotic bullshit that Activision loves to push down our throats in the CoD franchise, they just didn't like a story that forces the player to question the authority of his supposed leader. It doesn't take much for that kind move in the workplace either, nor to have a Bungie exec take credit for the call so that nobody else sees the boat being rocked.
A lot of things sound awesome and bold when you distill them to one line concepts.

Your theory doesn't however. It just sounds kinda dumb. Sorry.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I just wanted to say this is patently absurd. "Haters" dislike the games because the games have real problems, not just because they're popular.

True, but the amount of vitriol this game gets from gamers is quite sad and embarrassing. Now, I'm not saying that Bungie/Activision haven't tried to get over on people because they have and still are trying to, however it speaks to the validity of these vocalizations when someone can post a bingo board jokingly and a majority of the board actually happens in every thread about the game.

down 2 orth

A lot of things sound awesome and bold when you distill them to one line concepts.

Your theory doesn't however. It just sounds kinda dumb. Sorry.

No worries, we all have opinions right?

And as for a great concept, you only need one or two simple ideas to formulate one. The idea of the human race being evil and their alien enemies fighting on the side of light is original and intriguing... you could go a hundred directions from that alone, and when I first heard that, it had my imagination spinning out the different possibilities. Good science fiction in any medium is pretty much required to be bold and thought provoking, which kind of explains why the Destiny story fell flat on its face.

KageMaru

"We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars; we've already seen they do that with Halo. We were extremely proud of what we achieved with Halo... I'm pretty convinced we are going to do it again with Destiny in a way that maybe even Halo never achieved before."

Hahahaha oh wow. Totally forgot about quotes like this. There isn't anything to the story but nonsensical, broken bullshit. It's no wonder Destiny turned out the way it was, between this and other material that appeared leading up to the launch, it's clear the team had their heads shoved up their asses.

"We sat back, long before we even came to our partnership with Activision, thinking about, ‘We wanted to tell a story over ten years.’ We wanted each one of these things to have its own beginning, middle, and an end, but we really wanted to step back and we can do it. We’ve done it before; we did it with Halo but we didn’t plan it out."

"...but after getting in bed with the devil, we figured screwing our customers and making money was more important than a great story...or our integrity."

It's so frustrating and disappointing to look at how far Bungie has fallen. Gamers have done some awesome things over the last few years by starting campaigns or making a push to have our voices heard. I know it won't happen but I wish the gaming community would rally together and boycott TTK and these bullshit development practices.

glaurung

Great thread OP, I'd give you a gold star for it if I could.

Destiny is an odd beast. I grabbed the limited edition box for PS4 as soon as the game was originally released. The alpha and beta versions really impressed me. And the space opera thing that was teased really piqued my interest. However, it then turned out that the final product did not expand on the story at all. Instead of focusing on the Speaker, the player gets ferreted away to secondary and tertiary, boring characters. Even the queen in the reef looks like an asshole. So I played through the main campaign and left the game.

I returned to the game a couple of weeks ago. Some of my local friends had finally bought PS4s and the game and we have since had many fun adventures, including frustrating attempts at VoG and knuckle-whitening, amazing recovery PoE 32 runs. The game is better with friends.

Bungie is not like other modern game development studios. Nowadays we see a lot of transparent game planning and development. Most fans need constant updates and Bungie really is not up to this task. They keep things closer to their chest, in secrecy. At times, this works to their advantage, but mostly not. Looking at all those roadmap graphs and scrapped content pieces, I would have to say that Destiny's original planning was rewritten at least twice. And the game suffers from it.

TLDR: TTK will be good, but not great. Destiny 2 has the chance to be amazing.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It really hurts every time I read of the nebulous Destiny development. The game had so much potential. It could have been something grand. Imagine it being this grand epic it was supposed to be and then have that amazing gameplay on top of it?

I loved this game for about 3 months until the first DLC hit and it was quite clear that this game is a mess beyond repair. I may hop back on with Destiny 2 if they manage to fix all it's problems. What a shame though.

I don't know who was responsible, Bungie or Activision (or both), but whoever it was: FUCK YOU!

Kyoufu

It really hurts every time I read of the nebulous Destiny development. The game had so much potential. It could have been something grand. Imagine it being this grand epic it was supposed to be and then have that amazing gameplay on top of it?

I loved this game for about 3 months until the first DLC hit and it was quite clear that this game is a mess beyond repair. I may hop back on with Destiny 2 if they manage to fix all it's problems. What a shame though.

I don't know who was responsible, Bungie or Activision (or both), but whoever it was: FUCK YOU!

"mess beyond repair"

I can't agree with that since House of Wolves was a great expansion.

Destiny pre release promised so much and delivered so little.

I won't be buying Destiny 2. The die has been cast. Bungie and Activision have already made the contempt that they have for their userbase crystal clear.

Things will get worse, not better. Expect to pay more for less content in the future. No thanks.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
"mess beyond repair"

I can't agree with that since House of Wolves was a great expansion.
Great expansion? I didn't add a new planet or a new raid. LMAO @ great expansion.

And kudos for continuing to play this game after the mess that the first expansion was.

Z3M0G

Great thread. It's a shame that Bungie scrapped the original story.

It's not a shame that they scrapped it, it's a shame that it was terrible and they had to scrap it... with no time to put together something meaningful before launch, and had to trim down the scope of the initial release.

It's not worse value than Diablo 3. RoS in particular cost quite a chunk but gave one short chapter.

That one chapter was over half the length of the base game. Not to mention a valuable end-game: Adventure Mode.

"...but after getting in bed with the devil, we figured screwing our customers and making money was more important than a great story...or our integrity."

I'm still willing to give both Bungie and Activision the benefit of the doubt... Everyone hated the game during early play testing. What would you do? They did what they could...

- they used what they had developed (quite a lot) and with very little time reshuffled elements into a new story (needing to remove bits that no longer fit into the new narrative, and to save time)
- this was always intended to be a loot game... so no need to accuse them of adding that in after the fact
- left with so little remaining for initial release, they scrambled to get it out on time
- this left everything in a very messy state... an initial release they were very likely not too happy with, major minds behind the project gone, and a large amount of incomplete assets left on the chopping floor... stuff that even made it onto the disk because it was so far along.
- So naturally you look to addressing those pieces first before starting to develop new stuff
- gamer reactions are mixed, but it's too late to make major changes to DLC1 which would have been 99% locked down by the time the game initially launched
- they realized they had a game which they expect people to be able to play for months yet people were frustrated after a couple weeks
- they scrambled to make DLC1 something that would stretch out playtime but had little wiggle room, since the DLC1 content was likely 99% locked in by initial game launch
- DLC2 was when they first and finally had a chance to execute major change based on user feedback and some time to come up with some good ideas
- gameplay has always been "fun" and polished because it's the one thing that never had to change... (unless you bring things up like balance tweaking, but you don't need to)

Tomeru

Let us remember all the content that was lost. On this day, the day of the dead horse, we all stand together, heads bowed down, remember the lost content. Never forget.

Who's up for some skirmish?

It's not worse value than Diablo 3. RoS in particular cost quite a chunk but gave one short chapter.

That's a good one. The amount of story in that one chapter and the gameplay therein took longer than one chapter in the base game (maybe 2 chapters?). Not to mention a brand new class and new skills for all classes (plus gear drops etc). Ooo, also bounties. And then post release support has been great: rifts, seasons, hell a new chunk of content is coming with 2.3.0 taking player back to the barbarian homeland post the D2 expansion. Oh and that post launch support has been free. Hell that expansion probably has more content that TDB and HoW combined. But yes, bullet points of one chapter compared to 4-5 story missions surely puts RoS as a poor value.

I don't even have that big of an issue with the lack of story. It sucks but I could have lived without it.

I just hate that the actual gameplay is so repetitive on a meta level. When they were talking about how the online would work, I imagined something like PSO2. There is a lot of repetition, yes, but they also do a few different schemes to add randomness to the game.

I really thought that Destiny would have something on the level of the Emergency Code quests that pop up randomly mid-quest. There are quite a few variations and you can have multiple ones spawn at the same time. It gets incredibly hectic when you have two different bosses spawn in a tiny area area that they are not meant for!

In comparison, the daily world quests or whatever they are called in Destiny are just boring trash. It really wouldn't have taken that much to make the actual levels a little bit more interesting.

Maybe I should blame SEGA for not releasing PSO2 in the west. lol

LiK

Destiny is a game I still play even tho it's still one of the most disappointing games I ever played. So much potential was apparently lost during development. Bungie is talented and we know they could do better from their Halo days. I blame Activision for the shitty business decisions and awful pricing. I have hope for Destiny 2 to solve a lot of the problems in the first game but I don't expect people will stay for long if they decide to just keep doing the same shit for the next couple of years.

Shito

There's some content I'll never experience, but that's by their design, for example, I'll probably never experience the Raids because there's no ingame matchmaking and the social features within the game are so poor that it's unlikely I'll find people to play with ingame.
Come to the OT, you'll find plenty of awesome people willing to run you through the raids for your first time. :)
Sure Bungie could have made it so you didn't need an external website to find some people to play with, but here on GAF you have access to one of the best videogame community ever; if you really want to experience the raids, it would be a mistake not to take advantage of it! :)

LifEndz

Great thread OP.

As far as the mangled mess of a story, I really would like to know whether things just fell apart when Joe left and did he leave because Activision wanted to scoop out major portions of the game to sell as DLC (as was sorta theorized by Danny O'Dwyer in a gamespot vid). Guess we'll never know. Have over 30 days of playtime with just my Titan so it's obvious I enjoyed the hell out of the game, thanks in large part to the crucible, but what was promised versus what was delivered is going to be an all-time great "what happened" moments in gaming.

I'm not moving goalposts.

I'm guessing Bungie pulled a Halo 1 to Halo 2 issue.

If you're not familiar they came off of Halo 1 as a massive hit, were given a massive budget and made Halo 2 too ambitious and big and pretty and in the last year of development they had to start over from scratch and rebuild the whole game. Ending levels were cut and they had to farm out the multiplayer component.

So around comes Activision, Bungie hot off of finishing off the Halo series in their own fashion, a massive hit. They are then given a massive budget for Destiny but build the game too ambitious and huge and pretty. And they're over budget and need more time to finish the game but Activision won't let them.

So they step in and carve out large swathes of the game and transform the Destiny that was (a game that people played and can attest was very different from what we got) into the Destiny that we know now.

I'm not saying all the raids or the Taken King content was 100% complete, it was likely pretty far along. I am most certainly stating that all the content of DLC 1, 2, and TTK was supposed to be in the base game. There is a shitton of evidence that it was supposed to be. Mainly because Bungie employees explicitly stated as much "multiple raids" "go to Saturn" "go to Venus" "go to Mercury" showing off the Reef HUB, showing off fucking OSIRIS, etc.

Why showcase all of that AND showcase prominently art of the Taken and Oryx's fleet and the INSIDE of Oryx's ship if it wasn't intended to be in the base game? Why suddenly remove all of those pictures from their website less than a year before release?

Why would Joe Staten, the man who crafted most of the story and cinematics just up and leave the project right around the time those pictures vanished? Right in the middle of production on a project he talked about super passionately?

Because the game got carved up and he couldn't be part of it after everything he worked on got fucked.

So then the burning Question: What do you do when you release a game with so little content left after carving out ~70% of what was supposed to be?

Answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79dWuqXe5o (Mandatory viewing for everyone in thread).

I think this seems completely reasonable.

Kinsella

Banned
Destiny is a game I still play even tho it's still one of the most disappointing games I ever played. So much potential was apparently lost during development. Bungie is talented and we know they could do better from their Halo days. I blame Activision for the shitty business decisions and awful pricing. I have hope for Destiny 2 to solve a lot of the problems in the first game but I don't expect people will stay for long if they decide to just keep doing the same shit for the next couple of years.

I'm pretty much the same. As much as I dislike a lot about the game, the worst part about it are the blind Bungie defenders. Bungie doesn't need you to blindly defend their shitty tactics and game design. They need constructive criticism. They need to hear about how moronic it is to build a social FPS with next to no social capabilities.

LifEndz

So then the burning Question: What do you do when you release a game with so little content left after carving out ~70% of what was supposed to be?

Answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79dWuqXe5o (Mandatory viewing for everyone in thread).

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Danny's argument in that video is that Destiny was designed from the start to take advantage of certain psychological traits and get the player addicted. But I think you're saying that after Joe left and Activision stepped in (possibly because of budget problems) the game was released anyway because their fallback plan was to take advantage of human psychology? That's a hell of a gamble.

Roussow

This might just be my falsely placed optimism, but given that the game is working more as a platform rather than a standalone product, and that they'll be supporting the game for quite a while (ten year plan promises and all), there's hope that Destiny will evolve into a better and better game -- I haven't played the expansions, but from what I've heard, Bungie continuing to work on the game and improve it every day, House of Wolves reception was very positive, and Taken King is likely to do even more good. The biggest issue is the questionable pricing model (which relates to content, too)-- I don't want to take a cheap dig at $20 emotes, but it's undoubtedly bad value. The lack of story is another issue unto itself, but not a problem that can't be remedied.

The thing is, Destiny has great mechanics at it's core, some of the best console shooter gameplay to ever grace any system for my money, and given how successful the game is, I just hope the money they have pouring into this game can really do some good.

XAL

I don't know if the content was cut simply so that Activivision could sell it back to us later as DLC, but it's clear that content that had been cut is now being sold to us in DLC...

It isn't often that so much prerelease footage and commentary contains content that players don't see until DLC drops...

No one knows if it was Activision's plan all along, or if it was deemed a logical use of material that was cut for other reasons.

Pretty sure it was because the project needed another 6mo to a year and Activision wouldn't let it miss the fiscal quarter after sinking 500mil into it.

your answer is already wrong, the video is okay at best but it really has some poor points. I also think your assumption that they cut all the content to sell it back to us like they have been sitting on it complete for a year is wrong and pretty crazy.

Now I do agree with you about development having problems and Activision coming in and forcing them to release with the content they had finished.

Destiny has its issues but it still is an great experience.
Is it not somewhere in the middle? Of course they didn't cut FINISHED content (he's definitely off base there) - but they did cut content, some probably further along than others.

I specifically said they weren't sitting on 100% complete content. Just that stuff was far along, and naturally you could assume somethings were further along than others.

I'm not saying all the raids or the Taken King content was 100% complete, it was likely pretty far along. I am most certainly stating that all the content of DLC 1, 2, and TTK was supposed to be in the base game.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Danny's argument in that video is that Destiny was designed from the start to take advantage of certain psychological traits and get the player addicted. But I think you're saying that after Joe left and Activision stepped in (possibly because of budget problems) the game was released anyway because their fallback plan was to take advantage of human psychology? That's a hell of a gamble.

Destiny went through a lot of changes during development, people that played the game a year before release before the major changes happened noted that the game was very very different and "not the Destiny that came out".

It was either delay the game or release the game with a foolproof strategy to maximize the lifespan of very little content by abusing proven psychological tricks to keep players addicted. It wasn't standing completely on nothing, Destiny has amazing art, music, and gameplay. It just didn't have the amount of content it was supposed to so they made the best they could with it to release on time.

Whompa02

I feel the stories in the Halo games are pretty barebones but people seem happy to fill it out with the books. I'm not one of those.

I only played the multiplayer for Halo 1 when I was a kid, and most of Destiny as an adult and I know more about Halo than Destiny, today.

I think people who want further reading will go to the Halo books, but there's enough story and characters in that franchise. Destiny has characters...but I couldn't tell you their names because of how unremarkable everything all feels. It just feels stale and non interactive.

I think Halo actually has a story to tell while Destiny strived to hit a balance of ambiguity and actual narrative and just couldn't do either...shame because I really believed Bungie could knock this out of the ballpark...

Someone just reassure me that my character and gear will carry over to Destiny 2. Even if it's 2 years away it somehow still seems pointless to grind for loot now if it means nothing in the sequel.

It would also be a dick move on Bungies part. This isn't like normal games. By the time TTK releases many people will have spent $140 on Destiny.

With presumably more expansions, gear, and weapons to come afterwards. There's no way character and gear wouldn't carry over after such a huge investment made by the players.

Right?

RIGHT?!

gatti-man

Hahahaha oh wow. Totally forgot about quotes like this. There isn't anything to the story but nonsensical, broken bullshit. It's no wonder Destiny turned out the way it was, between this and other material that appeared leading up to the launch, it's clear the team had their heads shoved up their asses.

It's so frustrating and disappointing to look at how far Bungie has fallen. Gamers have done some awesome things over the last few years by starting campaigns or making a push to have our voices heard. I know it won't happen but I wish the gaming community would rally together and boycott TTK and these bullshit development practices.

I like destiny more than halo. Not everyone shares your opinion. For me the value of destiny has been huge. Haven't bought nearly as many games as I normally do. It's saved me probably $200 or more.

Great expansion? I didn't add a new planet or a new raid. LMAO @ great expansion.

And kudos for continuing to play this game after the mess that the first expansion was.

How is a great expansion. Better story better missions, etheric light, less grind, trials of Osiris, it's just better in all ways to the dark below and definitely ads to the base game.

The post which is now deleted http://gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Destiny-Early-Story-Details.jpg

The AMA in which someone who claimed he worked for bungie gave some infomation on it's development. Bungie as a I mentioned in the original post did comment on this calling it fake. Like I said I'm not decided either way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2hrpzx/ama_request_someone_from_bungie_or_activision_who/

Why are we even talking about this?

In your own source for the material in the OP (which you didn't even put in the OP) you have this lovely gem:

Deej claims they're a troll.

Deej, as in the community manager for the game, flat out tells you/us that this info isn't legit. It's not like Bungie did that thing where they don't acknowledge it, and delete it in a poor (and telling) effort to hide something.

They flat out said this isn't legit.

Edit: Also from your own source:
Hey everyone, I just want to let you know that the user who claims they have inside information about Destiny is a throwaway account that has not been verified by our team.

We have sent them a message asking for proof of their relationship to the development of Destiny, and until then I highly suggest you take what they have to say with a grain of salt.

The above info has been confirmed false by Bungie, but we will let you know if the user ever replied to us with their evidence.

Trojan

It's easy to tell the difference between Destiny critics who play regularly and critics who haven't even played the game (or gave up after a few hours). The former have many of the same legitimate complaints -- like "why are there still no POE checkpoints?" and "how has Bungie still not figured out a solution for lag switching?" -- while the latter go on and on about voice acting and grinding as if it's still September.

Jason...are you any closer to cracking the "Behind the Music" on Destiny? That's probably the #1 mystery in gaming right now, maybe tied with HL3. Would love a feature on this.

PooBone

Fact of the matter is this:
Whether the OP is 100% correct or 100% incorrect, there is absolutely no denying that Destiny changed a lot during development and had a lot of things cut.

In my opinion, they failed to deliver on what they promised. The final product was not something that appealed to me, but it clearly did for some (a lot) people. I just wish the game being advertised for years was the game they'd developed.

GhaleonEB

Someone just reassure me that my character and gear will carry over to Destiny 2. Even if it's 2 years away it somehow still seems pointless to grind for loot now if it means nothing in the sequel.

It would also be a dick move on Bungies part. This isn't like normal games. By the time TTK releases many people will have spent $140 on Destiny.

With presumably more expansions, gear, and weapons to come afterwards. There's no way character and gear wouldn't carry over after such a huge investment made by the players.

Right?

RIGHT?!
I would not worry about this particular issue, at all.

Lothars

Destiny pre release promised so much and delivered so little.

I won't be buying Destiny 2. The die has been cast. Bungie and Activision have already made the contempt that they have for their userbase crystal clear.

Things will get worse, not better. Expect to pay more for less content in the future. No thanks.
Where's your proof? Posters like you love to say that but than have no proof and more bull.

Is it not somewhere in the middle? Of course they didn't cut FINISHED content (he's definitely off base there) - but they did cut content, some probably further along than others.
Yes absolutely they cut content, There's no doubt about that but my issue with the statement was finished content. it's proven they had cut content from things posted including previous v-docs to bungies own statements.

glaurung

That slot machine video is great, but I think there's a piece missing in the logic.

If the game was built from the ground up to be a sort of Halo Slot Machine Simulator - and it has all those hooks in it - then where's the monetization aspect? Destiny does not have those horrible microtransactions like anything else nowadays (hell, even GTAV has microtransactions for multiplayer money). So what are Activision and Bungie banking on here? If the game was built from ground up to be addictive, when are they going to cash in on that? In terms of this Destiny, they've already missed their window. There is no random engram slot machine in the tower, there are no strange coins being sold for real money. Are all the players just being conditioned for the future?

I can see this becoming a reality once Destiny 2 is released as a full price title that also has all the modern F2P tropes. Purchase game currency for real money, get bonus loot rolls. Get shaders and sparrows and ships for real money. Or, even better, Destiny 2 will be with a monthly subscription. Those people who are hooked on it by then, will pay up like nobody's business.

Maybe I'm a horribly stupid person, but with all the addictive features, it feels like they have not capitalized on it at all.

As long as this addiction does not veer over to the realm of constant microtransactions, my friends will keep playing this. Since all it is costing them is time, not money.

Edit: come to think of it, their prominent code redemption feature on bungie.net almost fits this. But so far all we've seen are a bunch of freely available shaders and emblems and that disastrously stupid Red Bull campaign. Which backfired a lot.

Grief.exe

I had a lot of fun playing PVP, but the campaign was boring as hell and the story was non-existent. The gameplay is really solid, it's just everything else about the game that's the problem.

Can you level up and be competitive solely through PVP matches?

Are there weapons or attachments that do not require ADS? Considering the movement options the player has, I'd like to play the game as an arena shooter if possible.

Fact of the matter is this:
Whether the OP is 100% correct or 100% incorrect, there is absolutely no denying that Destiny changed a lot during development and had a lot of things cut.

In my opinion, they failed to deliver on what they promised. The final product was not something that appealed to me, but it clearly did for some (a lot) people. I just wish the game being advertised for years was the game they'd developed.

Personally I remember becoming very suspicious that something had gone wrong with the story when, for 3 years in a row, Destiny was shown at any convention, they showed the same cutscene of the fallen screaming on top of the car. It became very apparent that they didn't have anything else to show.

void666

Banned
I love these threads.

Destiny is a great game. Best 80 dollars i've ever spent on a game.
And it keeps getting better. Can't wait for the taken king.

Kinsella

Banned
That slot machine video is great, but I think there's a piece missing in the logic.

If the game was built from the ground up to be a sort of Halo Slot Machine Simulator - and it has all those hooks in it - then where's the monetization aspect? Destiny does not have those horrible microtransactions like anything else nowadays (hell, even GTAV has microtransactions for multiplayer money). So what are Activision and Bungie banking on here? If the game was built from ground up to be addictive, when are they going to cash in on that? In terms of this Destiny, they've already missed their window. There is no random engram slot machine in the tower, there are no strange coins being sold for real money. Are all the players just being conditioned for the future?

I can see this becoming a reality once Destiny 2 is released as a full price title that also has all the modern F2P tropes. Purchase game currency for real money, get bonus loot rolls. Get shaders and sparrows and ships for real money. Or, even better, Destiny 2 will be with a monthly subscription. Those people who are hooked on it by then, will pay up like nobody's business.

Maybe I'm a horribly stupid person, but with all the addictive features, it feels like they have not capitalized on it at all.

As long as this addiction does not veer over to the real of constant microtransactions, my friends will keep playing this. Since all it is costing them is time, not money.

Based on the awful interview with Luke Smith, it appears that Bungie are going to be doing just that from here on out. Want some dance emotes? Throw money at your screen. Seems like the one thing they learned from all of their many blunders is that they weren't milking us enough.

Can you level up and be competitive solely through PVP matches?

Are there weapons or attachments that do not require ADS? Considering the movement options the player has, I'd like to play the game as an arena shooter if possible.

No to the leveling soley via PVP. You have to get to a certain level before you can even PVP. It's not much though.

And there are numerous guns that have a perk of adding better accuracy being fired from the hip. You could easily play this game without ever using ADS (except with sniper rifles). I personally wouldn't want to though. I love ADS.

glaurung

Based on the awful interview with Luke Smith, it appears that Bungie are going to be doing just that from here on out. Want some dance emotes? Throw money at your screen. Seems like the one thing they learned from all of their many blunders is that they weren't milking us enough.
Dreadful if true. I haven't seen that interview.

But even so - isn't it a bit late for this? Or are they going to market the hell out of TTK so that it becomes a second Destiny launch? For me it feels like they've missed their opportune window for all this nickel and dime bullshit. Players who have been with the game since the beginning have superior loot and they will not be persuaded by some meager gear rolls for real money.

We'll see in a couple of weeks I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom