• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - 1 Year On, Looking back at cut content

Status
Not open for further replies.

PooBone

I'm of the belief that the story wasn't cut, but rather rearranged. It's worth reminding everyone that the story isn't over. We still have 2 full games, 2 Mega-Expansions, and roughly 10 DLC-Expansions to traverse the story with.

I'm of the opinion that most of the stuff that was "scraped" was just re-purposed for later, much like the Gravemind in Halo 2. Of course, I can't really prove that for years, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time Bungie held some ideas back for future material.

Uh, of course the story isn't over. Has it even really begun? Destiny 1.0 didn't have a story at all, just a premise. The DLC so far has assured me we won't see anything really meaningful until Destiny 2, which is only a year and a couple of months away according to all the leaked documentation.

Caja 117

Honestly I'm surprised Destiny sold so much.

Im not, there isnt something similar in his gen, the game is good in its core, and most of the people don't stop to care or go into over the what if, the conspiracies, the "skinner Box", etc etc, the fact that you can go with 1 or more friends an socialize while shooting stuff is a very basic in this game and is fun.

Uh, of course the story isn't over. Has it even really begun? Destiny 1.0 didn't have a story at all, just a premise. The DLC so far has assured me we won't see anything really meaningful until Destiny 2, which is only a year and a couple of months away according to all the leaked documentation.

That "documentation" also had Destiny releasing in 2013. Safe to assume that the dates you are talking about are no longer relevant.

PooBone

Destiny is one of my favorite games of all time. You can't deny that stuff was cut. Something happened before release. pretty sad. I think it has more to do with CEO's and studio heads then a nefarious plot to sell us content as DLC.

Is there a difference?

That "documentation" also had Destiny releasing in 2013. Safe to assume that the dates you are talking about are no longer relevant.

Did it? Need to see that space chart again.

EDIT: Just checked. I'm right.

Falcker

Specific dates are not relevant anymore but the time table still is. Destiny 2 will release 2 years after Destiny 1 does just as all the other leaked DLC has coincided with the 3-5 month release time tables and Comet matching the year 1 anniversary time table.

Z3M0G

That video was depressingly helpful by doing nothing more than stepping you through the events of the main missions... his delivery adds some contextual importance to certain events that I, as the player engaged in these events, didn't even realize where happening due to the game's poor poor presentation of said events...

If each key moment in the story had a small cutscene that played out, it would go a long way to attach contextual importance to the events as they occur... instead of being completely forgettable mere moments after they happen...

Edit: Seriously, though... this video makes the game's plot seem quite awesome I must admit. It just never feels anywhere near this awesome while playing it... major objects you collect in the story are nothing more than little item pickup blips in the corner of your screen, completely negating their importance to the story. A cutscene of you picking up the item would have been soooo gooood compared to that.

Is there a difference?

Specific dates are not relevant anymore but the time table still is. Destiny 2 will release 2 years after Destiny 1 does just as all the other leaked DLC has coincided with the 3-5 month release time tables and Comet matching the year 1 anniversary time table.

Sorry, you both are right. I'm confusing documents.

That video was depressingly helpful by doing nothing more than stepping you through the events of the main missions... his delivery adds some contextual importance to certain events that I, as the player engaged in these events, didn't even realize where happening due to the game's poor poor presentation of said events...

If each key moment in the story had a small cutscene that played out, it would go a long way to attach contextual importance to the events as they occur... instead of being completely forgettable mere moments after they happen...

I think one of the biggest flaws with Vanilla Destiny's mission structure was the "side missions" that didn't contribute to the story. Every destination had 5 missions. Of those 3 were mandatory, and 2 were side missions that didn't have anything to do with anything. He even mentions at the start of the video that he wont be discussing those.

However, the way the game and player progress, you are going to pick the side missions every time because they are more appropriate for your level, but all they do is fog up what little plot actually exist.

Both of you are right.

You're talking about the leaked power point slide. Kor is talking about the contracts that leaked before Destiny launched.

You guys just got your documents mixed up.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm happy that there are people that like this game.
I will probably buy this game when they come to that point it feels like a finished game

DNAbro

I'm happy that there are people that like this game.
I will probably buy this game when they come to that point it feels like a finished game

It feels like a real good game now with the DLC. The new expansion bundle will have tons of content in comparison compared to when the game first came out.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It feels like a real good game now with the DLC. The new expansion bundle will have tons of content in comparison compared to when the game first came out.

TK does look pretty cool, but I won't be buying it until I can get it for at least half off (assuming it is good.) The whole TK announcement and pricing structure left such a bad taste in my mouth I haven't played Destiny at all since then, even though I had been enjoying HoW stuff.

Tovarisc

The destiny hate train keeps on moving. By now if you don't like the game move on to something you do like.

I have played a lots of Destiny and still enjoy it quite a lot when I think about it, but it still makes me sad when reading about all cut content, rewrites of script that made story shait, pathetic lore.. I mean Grimoire cards etc. Game has good in it, but it also has plenty of bad.

I'm of the belief that the story wasn't cut, but rather rearranged. It's worth reminding everyone that the story isn't over. We still have 2 full games, 2 Mega-Expansions, and roughly 10 DLC-Expansions to traverse the story with.

I'm of the opinion that most of the stuff that was "scraped" was just re-purposed for later, much like the Gravemind in Halo 2. Of course, I can't really prove that for years, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time Bungie held some ideas back for future material.

If this were the case of a couple of plot devices or cutscenes being rearranged that would make sense, but this is much more than that. If your aim is to stretch your story out over multiple paid installments you need to actually have a story with characters etc in the first installment for people to get hooked on. Destiny doesn't have that. They didn't just rearrange the existing story or cannibalize parts of it for later installments, they wiped it out entirely. Such story as there is in Destiny is just there to mitigate the awkwardness that would result from literally not having a story at all, it's not there to suck people in and make them keep coming back for more.

The destiny hate train keeps on moving. By now if you don't like the game move on to something you do like.

It's not so much hate as it is fascination with one of the strangest sets of last-minute cuts the industry has ever seen. When was the last time a AAA game had its story eliminated a year before release and replaced with nothing? When was the last time a top-tier studio went into development intending to create a story-focused game and then changed their minds?

Kinsella

Banned

There's a huge slew of us that love playing the game that still hate the way it's being handled. We're not moving on. And thankfully there are a lot of us not willing to give Bungie a pass on their bullshit despite loving the basic mechanics of the game.

Imru’ al-Qays;173128912 said:
If this were the case of a couple of plot devices or cutscenes being rearranged that would make sense, but this is much more than that. If your aim is to stretch your story out over multiple paid installments you need to actually have a story with characters etc in the first installment for people to get hooked on. Destiny doesn't have that. They didn't just rearrange the existing story or cannibalize parts of it for later installments, they wiped it out entirely. Such story as there is in Destiny is just there to mitigate the awkwardness that would result from literally not having a story at all, it's not there to suck people in and make them keep coming back for more.

Whats your point/What are you trying to say?

Imru’ al-Qays;173129596 said:
It's not so much hate as it is fascination with one of the strangest sets of last-minute cuts the industry has ever seen. When was the last time a AAA game had its story eliminated a year before release and replaced with nothing? When was the last time a top-tier studio went into development intending to create a story-focused game and then changed their minds?
This is literally the story of every Bungie title.

There's a huge slew of us that love playing the game that still hate the way it's being handled. We're not moving on. And thankfully there are a lot of us not willing to give Bungie a pass on their bullshit despite loving the basic mechanics of the game.

This. I would almost bet my life that I've spent more time playing Destiny than anyone here yet I criticize the game all the time. I do so because I do care a lot about the game and its future. We can love something without being apologist when it comes to that thing's flaws.

Whats your point/What are you trying to say?

That your explanation that the story was just rearranged/stretched out doesn't make sense to me either. Rearranging parts of a story makes sense as a business strategy: hook people with the first installment, end on a cliffhanger, move some stuff to DLC or a sequel, etc. What doesn't make sense is what Bungie did with Destiny: eliminate any semblance of a coherent story altogether while reusing some discrete parts of the original story only as connective tissue between missions.

The first is a cynical but effective way to get people to shell out more money to experience your entire story. The second accomplishes nothing besides eliminating the story as a reason to buy your game (and its sequels).

This is literally the story of every Bungie title.

No, it isn't. Halo's stories are obviously aimed at a not-very-sophisticated audience, and they're not particularly good, and they end sort of in the middle of nowhere sometimes, etc etc. But they are recognizably stories. They have protagonists and antagonists, recurring characters, plot twists, a beginning middle end structure, etc. That was a core part of the series's appeal. Destiny is fundamentally different.

They tried to lure me back with an email saying i have a gift at the postmaster. It showed in the email that strange coins were waiting for me. Though, it didnt tell me how many.

Idk guys ... i feel like i went to a baskin robbins icecream shop that advertised all of their flavors would be available on their grand opening. Get to the shop as soon as it opens and tubs are missing, tubs are re-named. tubs are half-missing. tubs are on the back shelf that im not allowed to eat yet. they said that i can only have the waffle cone when i purchase the season pass and then to wait 3 months until i can actually use it. Until then i can have 3 sprinkles ontop of the icecream i choose today.

nah that was a bad analogy, but now im hungry for icecream. mmmm

gatti-man

This. I would almost bet my life that I've spent more time playing Destiny than anyone here yet I criticize the game all the time. I do so because I do care a lot about the game and its future. We can love something without being apologist when it comes to that thing's flaws.

Not that this is something to be proud of but I'm at 700 hours. And I'm not playing more than 30 minutes a day currently.

DNAbro

Imru’ al-Qays;173130466 said:
That your explanation that the story was just rearranged/stretched out doesn't make sense to me either. Rearranging parts of a story makes sense as a business strategy: hook people with the first installment, end on a cliffhanger, move some stuff to DLC or a sequel, etc. What doesn't make sense is what Bungie did with Destiny: eliminate any semblance of a coherent story altogether while reusing some discrete parts of the original story only as connective tissue between missions.

The first is a cynical but effective way to get people to shell out more money to experience your entire story. The second accomplishes nothing besides eliminating the story as a reason to buy your game (and its sequels).

No, it isn't. Halo's stories are obviously aimed at a not-very-sophisticated audience, and they're not particularly good, and they end sort of in the middle of nowhere sometimes, etc etc. But they are recognizably stories. They have protagonists and antagonists, recurring characters, plot twists, a beginning middle end structure, etc. That was a core part of the series's appeal. Destiny is fundamentally different.

i think you misunderstood that second post. Pretty sure he meant that basically Bungie is known to cut out massive parts of their game late in development,(halo 2)

But Bungie hasn't ever tried to hook people with story. They've always hooked people in with Gameplay and brought the story around later.

A game with a great/fun story but crappy gameplay will get people interested, but they won't stick around (See: Brutal Legend).

A game with great/fun gamplay but a crappy story won't have as much initial interest, but the word of mouth of those that try it out is a powerful force that gets more and more people interested. Look at like almost every CoD/Battlefield game. No one plays those for the story, they play them for the PvP because the gameplay is the part that matters.

There is a story, barebones as it is... and it is setup to cliffhanger. The reason it seems so confusing is that the execution of story progress wasn't clear to many people as they didn't pay particular attention to the difference d in the icons indicating which missions were the main storyline and which we're essentially side missions.

It's supposed to play out in such a manor as to feel like you're being assigned missions to complete in the between time while the higher ups at The Tower parse information from the previous story segment you completed. It was just poor execution on delivering that feel.

Slurmp

Banned
I remember when this game was coming out, I was really excited.

The thing that got me most excited was the Halo: ODST "reveal"(?) that there was a in-game poster advertisement that said "Destiny Awaits" with a big earth and a little white cricle above it (most thought it was the moon, or some kind of in-game UNSC military propaganda, or whatever); but it turned out to be a Destiny hint, years before it was even announced, I think.

After I learned that, I decided to not look up any info about the game so I could get as much of a new, fresh, experience as I could once I played the game.

Then when the game came out, I was happy, but it certainly didn't live up to my hype, and the first rumors of cut content/etc came out and then all my expectations plummeted and I was sorely disappointed in everything in the game.

To be honest, I want to put all the blame on Activision, because they seem like just the kind of company to cut swaths of things out of the game "just because" or for slim-to-no reasons. But perhaps we'll never know the whole truth.

hydruxo

There's some of both though. There's flat out hate from people who haven't played the game since October and seen it change, and there's criticism from regular players who want the game to continue to grow and become what we know it has the potential to be. Even the most ardent Destiny players know there's some major issues with the game.

I've put 500+ hours into the game since launch and I've had a lot of fun with it. That said, there's alot of problems that need to continue to be talked about with this game until Bungie addresses it otherwise it'll never change. If we end up getting a better game out of all the criticism then I say it's well worth it.

Caja 117

There is a story, barebones as it is... and it is setup to cliffhanger. The reason it seems so confusing is that the execution of story progress wasn't clear to many people as they didn't pay particular attention to the difference d in the icons indicating which missions were the main storyline and which we're essentially side missions.

It's supposed to play out in such a manor as to feel like you're being assigned missions to complete in the between time while the higher ups at The Tower parse information from the previous story segment you completed. It was just poor execution on delivering that feel.

I think some people would had tought different of Destiny story if you had an option to do the campaign without the Interruption of going to the tower, and made as a linear progression campaign.

The thing that got me most excited was the Halo: ODST "reveal"(?) that there was a in-game poster advertisement that said "Destiny Awaits" with a big earth and a little white cricle above it (most thought it was the moon, or some kind of in-game UNSC military propaganda, or whatever); but it turned out to be a Destiny hint, years before it was even announced, I think.

After I learned that, I decided to not look up any info about the game so I could get as much of a new, fresh, experience as I could once I played the game.

Then when the game came out, I was happy, but it certainly didn't live up to my hype, and the first rumors of cut content/etc came out and then all my expectations plummeted and I was sorely disappointed in everything in the game.

To be honest, I want to put all the blame on Activision, because they seem like just the kind of company to cut swaths of things out of the game "just because" or for slim-to-no reasons. But perhaps we'll never know the whole truth.

Bungie left MS to have more control. I refuse to believe that this is all on Activision.

Bungie left MS to have more control. I refuse to believe that this is all on Activision.

More control doesn't necessarily mean autonomy. Had Bungie stayed at MS, do you really think they would be allowed to make Destiny? Given that 323 was slowly integrated into becoming the main dev for Halo... I think we'd still be getting Halo with the standard Halo conventions (because that's what Halo fans would want from Halo).

This is very interesting to me. You say you were happy with the game until someone pointed out to you things that you didn't even know exists weren't there. Do you realize how silly that sounds?

Judge a game by what it is, not what it isn't.

Loxley

Granted I don't play or pay much attention to Destiny at all, but I must have been living under a big rock the last two years because I had no idea Joe Staten left Bungie o_O

I knew about Marty, but Staten is news to me. What a bummer.

More control doesn't necessarily mean autonomy. Had Bungie stayed at MS, do you really think they would be allowed to make Destiny? Given that 323 was slowly integrated into becoming the main dev for Halo... I think we'd still be getting Halo with the standard Halo conventions (because that's what Halo fans would want from Halo).

I think so, it just would have been Halo licensed instead. I really dont see why they left in retrospect. Other than maybe owning the license which i suppose is huge for them $ wise.

Not that this is something to be proud of but I'm at 700 hours. And I'm not playing more than 30 minutes a day currently.

Yeah according to the Destiny app I have played a total of 1536 hours. Sheesh! This is really the first time I've checked the numbers and done the actual math and I'm kinda disgusted with myself. As I said in an earlier post work has been slow but MY GOD what have I become. In the first six months of Destiny's release I gained 20 pounds (I've since burned it off plus some due to upcoming wedding) from sitting on my ass playing, and anyone that knows me knows that I'm a fitness nut. Yeah I probably should definitely skip TTK lol.

Slurmp

Banned
This is very interesting to me. You say you were happy with the game until someone pointed out to you things that you didn't even know exists weren't there. Do you realize how silly that sounds?

Judge a game by what it is, not what it isn't.

I mean happy as in "this game is alright", not, "damn this game is so good" like I wanted it to be. I probably could have clarified that a bit better.

Like, the game came out, I played it, beat it, played lots of MP, etc. And I was pretty good with it, I think it was fun, but not great, and it didn't live up to my own hype and I was slightly disappointed. Then when I learned of (and even saw with my own eyes because I was able to get into the "off limits" areas) I became kind of angry at much how was just.. left out and how much better the game could have been.

If they got more control, that's great, but in the end, I feel it was entirely their fault for what the game ended up being (unfinished in many ways). It was probably because the game was being made, then there was all the development trouble, and then they just wanted to get it out ASAP so there could be no more, or atleast, development hell. Thus it ended up not being as great as it could have been; because honestly, if the game came out in it's completely finished (or as finished as they wanted it to be before all the DLC/etc came) I think it would have been just as good as anyone wanted it to be and there would be significantly less hate for the game.

Hopefully I don't sound like a Destiny fanboy.. I'm really not. I only have maybe.. 50-100hrs in the game? And I've never even bought the DLC or done any of the raids. I'm just disappointed.

They described their game almost like a dream come true. Real MMO with perfect shooting and able to dethrone WOW. instead we got *this* uhg

Nabbis

The thing that annoys me is not that the game shipped gutted but the deceptive marketing, shitty community management and that after a year they still have nothing but the same crap in greater quantities.

Given how they have handled the game so far, i have a hard time believing the original vision was anything good either aside from the initial concept.

I think so, it just would have been Halo licensed instead. I really dont see why they left in retrospect. Other than maybe owning the license which i suppose is huge for them $ wise.

Bungie butted heads with MS on a regular basis.

Bungie's goal with Halo DLC was that the 2nd more recent pack should be free when the newest DLC pack is released. Bungie got away with this for the Heroic map pack in Halo 3, but MS wouldn't let them do it for any other map packs.

Similarly, Halo 3:ODST was designed to be DLC for Halo 3 originally, but MS wanted something else, so ODST was fleshed out more, given a full campaign and charged full retail price.

Suffice to say, Bungie had a history of trying to do right by the player, and MS getting in the way.

They described their game almost like a dream come true. Real MMO with perfect shooting and able to dethrone WOW. instead we got *this* uhg

Please provide (nonexistant) source for where Bungie said Destiny would be able to dethrone WoW...

The thing that annoys me is not that the game shipped gutted but the deceptive marketing, shitty community management and that after a year they still have nothing but the same crap in greater quantities.

Given how they have handled the game so far, i have a hard time believing the original vision was anything good either aside from the initial concept.

If you think the two DLC packs were more of the same Vanilla Destiny, then you either aren't a Destiny player, or haven't been paying attention. You could make an argument for Dark Below, maybe... But House of Wolves changed everything.

License is huge but look at Halo fans reactions to things like running and loadouts. A spin-off could've worked but not a mainline title and MS did not want Bungie, the creator of the IP doing spinoffs.

Bungie butted heads with MS on a regular basis.

Bungie's goal with Halo DLC was that the 2nd more recent pack should be free when the newest DLC pack is released. Bungie got away with this for the Heroic map pack in Halo 3, but MS wouldn't let them do it for any other map packs.

Similarly, Halo 3:ODST was designed to be DLC for Halo 3 originally, but MS wanted something else, so ODST was fleshed out more, given a full campaign and charged full retail price.

Suffice to say, Bungie had a history of trying to do right by the player, and MS getting in the way.

And youre telling me that now that they left, own the license and work with a company that dont own them, suddenly they cant do those things anymore? Last i checked, their DLC in Destiny wasnt free. Wheres that Bungie now?

License is huge but look at Halo fans reactions to things like running and loadouts. A spin-off could've worked but not a mainline title and MS did not want Bungie, the creator of the IP doing spinoffs.

They could have called it Halo Destiny or something so that people know its a different beast and have 343 do the halo4s and 5s.

And youre telling me that now that they left, own the license and work with a company that dont own them, suddenly they cant do those things anymore? Last i checked, their DLC in Destiny wasnt free. Wheres that Bungie now?

Right here: bungie.net

When House of Wolves came out all of the Dark Below maps became free add-ons for Vanilla Destiny players.

Nabbis

If you think the two DLC packs were more of the same Vanilla Destiny, then you either aren't a Destiny player, or haven't been paying attention. You could make an argument for Dark Below, maybe... But House of Wolves changed everything.

Oh, it changed everything. Good Lord. It added matchmaking, more pvp modes, voice chat and varied mission structure as opposed to shooting enemies while Dinklebot spews some crap? No? Oh...

Zones still the same empty crap and enemy variety is made from the same models but with different skins. Wow.

It costs money to release updates on console. Bungie as a first party doesn't pay for updates on 360. Bungie as a third party pays for updates on both consoles.

They could have called it Halo Destiny or something so that people know its a different beast and have 343 do the halo4s and 5s.

That would be a spin-off. Why would MS put the starting squad on a spin-off that is a risk rather than a mainline that will sell guaranteed?

Oh, it changed everything. Good Lord. It added matchmaking, more pvp modes, voice chat and varied mission structure as opposed to shooting enemies while Dinklebot spews some crap? No? Oh...

Going to go with this one...

joecanada

I do like the game but I feel forced to move on based on their pricing and DLC options, no way I'm goin to just keep shelling out for the same game over and over... I thought with the LE I would be getting all the dlc but its just a year I suppose (season pass?)... but no I just can't justify more after the 99 dollar LE........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom