• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny and Microsoft = Destinyfragrance .. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles X

Perhaps they receive a fine and figured this outweighs the consequences. I think it is pretty cool ad.

In which case they should just go the whole fucking hog and put a primetime tv ad up with $399 + Madden + Destiny.

I'd love to see Sony's/Actis reaction to that.

(I like the idea of Sony doing a TR fragrance as well)

Trying to think of what a good one for Watch Dogs would have been

You do know even though we can assume it will come out on PS4, SQ haven't exactly said which platform it will be coming out later. It could be only PC too. You can't run a marketing without knowing first.

You really think Sony hasn't talked to Square about a PS4 version?

Kayant

Sony has name dropped Call of Duty a couple of times on their conferences in E3/Gamescom. This is the first time I have ever heard of a platform holder not allowed to talk about a game on their platform.

This site does mention that Destiny is a first person shooter on Xbox One, so it looks like it would break any silly rules anyway.

Did you read the ad? They don't have rights to advertise it in the same way you don't see ads in mainstream media actively advertising the PS/PC versions of Cod.

They have and can talk about the game on their platform.

A fragrance? really? this is official? this hasn't originated from /b/ as a hoax?

5897F4EF-334E-43F9-8B3B-907818621E10_zps3wjv3kdy.gif

Who at Microsoft thought a good product to market this game, to gamers was a cheap fragrance like you'd get in a market packaged up in a slightly fancy bottle with an xbox logo on?
I say this a lot but with this i honestly mean it, what drugs were they on when they thought that made sense?

Stealth edit: so this is to get round advertising restrictions for the game? some sense appears, but really why a fragrance? the situation stinks? sounds like a load of Salty Salty tears, Ms have done this themselves before and gained advertising rights to many a multiplatform game

jem0208

Maybe they thought this would be a more effective ad than a tv spot for the X1 which mentions Destiny. I doubt MS can use footage of Destiny in their ads.

This is the sort of thing which could go quite viral.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think this is pretty clever.
Also, the hidden meaning - implying that the Destiny exclusive advertising deal stinks.

Miles X

A fragrance? really? this is official? this hasn't originated from /b/ as a hoax?

Who at Microsoft thought a good product to market this game, to gamers was a cheap fragrance like you'd get in a market packaged up in a slightly fancy bottle with an xbox logo on?
I say this a lot but with this i honestly mean it, what drugs were they on when they thought that made sense?

It's a viral marketing campaign, nothing more.

Madness

Don't get all the desperation comments. This is really clever from an advertising and marketing perspective. Microsoft still benefits if Destiny and Bungie do well because Microsoft still owns a sizeable minority share in Bungie. This is most likely because of Bungie's history with Halo, and the fact they were a a wholly owned MS studio until a few years ago.

Alx

Exclusive marketing is silly anyway. The game has been officially announced on several platforms, will have simultaneous releases and even had different betas running on them, but ads are supposed to ignore/hide that fact.
Having exclusive content and joint marketing is one thing, but that is becoming borderline deceptive.

stay gold

The fragrance is not real

jem0208

I genuinely can't tell if this post if serious of not.

They aren't actually making a fragrance.

Look, this guy over here has no sense of humor. Come on friend they're not serious, that's the funny part about it.

frontieruk

Pretty funny, but thats a well polished glasshouse to be throwing such stones in with the Tomb Raider bullshit.

you mean where they financed the game to be exclusive first, whereas this launches at the same time, they've put engineers in place to improve performance on their platform to be equal to their competitor, but they can't promote on their platform?

Yeah it's Just like THAT... FFS SMH

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Funny but also sad. Microsoft already have exclusive advertising rights for madden, call of duty and battlefield I think.
Sony could have set up www.maddenjockstraps.com or something :D .

This is pretty funny, hats off to the relevant MS team.
It's pretty clever. I really don't see this as desperate. And yeah, of course Destiny is perceived as a PS exclusive and MS wants to make sure people know you can play it on Xbox too.
Agreed, this just seems like a smart business move.

domlolz

Banned
thank you microsoft for more advertisement for this game that already has adverts every-fucking-where, this is a brilliant move! well done!

It's funny. Although I would have thought they wouldn't be allowed to mention that Destiny is a game available on Xbox, since that's advertising it. But I'm probably wrong.

MS is in straight-up disruption mode.

They're beginning to specifically target PS strengths (Uncharted 4, exclusive Destiny marketing) and strike.

It might seem underhanded, but I see it like a rap battle and ms finally stopped fumbling and is coming with the "personals" like what Sony did at last year's E3.

It's not quite the level of SNES /Genesis or Crash appearing outside Nintendo headquarters, but this generation is finally starting to get interesting now that MS isn't just battling themselves and have turned towards Sony.

T.O.P

Banned
Stealth edit: so this is to get round advertising restrictions for the game? some sense appears, but really why a fragrance? the situation stinks? sounds like a load of Salty Salty tears, Ms have done this themselves before and gained advertising rights to many a multiplatform game

a.aaa-No-fun-allowed..jpg

Percy

Banned
Ha, very good. I'd love to see what Sony do for a game MS has exclusive promotion on.

They've never bothered doing anything in the past, and they have less reason than ever to do anything these days so I doubt we'll see any hitting back on this one. I could end up being wrong of course, but we'll see I guess.

I hope this triggers an ad war.

Would be pretty sweet to see them going back and forth on games the other has exclusive marketing rights to.

Daemul

IySPC.gif

The fragrance isn't real, the page just links to Destiny XBO bundles which are being sold by various retailers.

gelf

Sony should absolutely do the same in responce and then we can watch as these marketing deals become more and more worthless and die.

Gorillaz

MS kind of kicked off this whole exclusive marketing rights war last gen

I would actually laugh if Sony did it back on CoD or mention the tomb raider deal

Carl

Exclusive marketing is silly anyway. The game has been officially announced on several platforms, will have simultaneous releases and even had different betas running on them, but ads are supposed to ignore/hide that fact.
Having exclusive content and joint marketing is one thing, but that is becoming borderline deceptive.

I agree comarketing is stupid. But ragging on the other for doing it when they do it too is also stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom