• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: April Update Preview

Arrrammis

TBH, im not surprised that they're moving towards more paying options. They got absolutely ripped on for their $20 and $40 DLC's, it's much better for their image to offer cosmetics for sale and then give away updates/DLC like the content coming April 12th for free. They still are only selling cosmetics in my eyes, the armor is useless until you infuse it with something better, which means you have to earn the higher level armor anyways. Plus you don't even have to buy the new armor, you can get it from challenges and gifts. Personally, I'm happy with this new content. Now, to see if they'll let me bring up my old The Devil You Know...

KingJ2002

Cool to see that the infusions now level you up to the max armor you infuses instead of some arbitrary number... and the reputation gains will hopefully get me to the other exotic pieces faster.

but.

I just wanted a confirmation of matchmaking for Nightfalls... now that the game doesn't boot you back to orbit anymore there's no good reason to leave it out.

The lack of new exotics is a bummer, there are still 7 left on the DestinyDB iirc.

As with previous updates, it seems Bungie has started showing off exotics on instagram. Though without notice. Chances are we'll get a new exotic every 30-60 minutes.

The first being the Queensbreaker bow:

https://www.instagram.com/destinythegame/

First for 330, then again in a few weeks for 335.

WTF man. I know there are other ways, but crap. That's a long time to be running through Kings Fall. At least let me supplement with VoG or CE.

A few weeks? They said King's fall will drop 335 gear the day after the April Update due to needing a hotfix to adjust the loot tables.

Bungie's goalpost has always been the same since Eververse was announced -- you will not be able to buy a competitive advantage in the game with real money.

When people in the Destiny community said that "they won't sell gear", the implication was always that Bungie wouldn't sell top-level Max Light gear. They have been selling low-light gear since the Halloween event.

Again, when the game is about collecting gear, and they let you buy gear, that is a line that is crossed. Stop moving the goalposts. If a people play Destiny to collect gear, and they offer a way to buy that gear with real money, then you are compromising the structure of the game.

Destiny as a competitive game...you and I know that the competitive aspect of Destiny is absolute trash. Absolutely unbalanced. And in Trials or Iron Banner, the most light you need to be 'competitive' is 290. You play to earn different gear. Even Bungie tries to make it a point that you shouldn't be getting max light level by introducing their previously broken infusion system.

So why do you play Destiny? To be 'competitive' when that state is broken and trash? Or to collect gear?

Let's go deeper.

People that are still playing have probably gotten close to light level. They are offering an increase of 15 light level, and that will be meaningless due to how light is calculated. So why the hell would you want to play this update? If you say 'it's to be competitive' you're wrong because being at 320 will allow you to compete against people who are 335.

So why play this update? For more things to find and more things to loot. The core of Destinys game. Not competition.

Therefore, by selling the new gear, they are crossing this line and compromising what Destiny is about. This is akin to buying Kings Fall armor(But for 3 light, even though now it can be maxed immediately thanks to 1:1 infusion) without having to do kings fall(Or wait weeks with their new system.)

Destiny isn't about the competition. It's about the loot and new things to do. If half of that is compromised, then something is fucked.

I don't like the trend of more and more things being up for purchase, but the biggest thing for me is it instantly devalues all of that gear.

Gator86

Yup.

I mentioned it was a slippery slope previously in DGAF, and people scoffed at me. They literally moved the goal posts sand said 'not until they start selling gear'. And look at it now. You can buy gear with money.

This is hilarious. Fuck off Bungie.

This was inevitable. More money > less money. This is especially true when a company doesn't have any new DLC to sell. Bungie, and Activision, of course, are here to make money more than anything else.

When people in the Destiny community said that "they won't sell gear", the implication was always that Bungie wouldn't sell top-level Max Light gear.
I must have missed the small print. All along I thought not selling gear meant not selling gear. Its not only max light gear that can offer up advantages in PvP and trivialize the core loot hunt.

Once that door is open and selling gear brings in revenue, good luck with trying to minimize its influence on the game.

Kyne

I wanted to see what if any new perks the weapons and armor had, not just the cosmetic aspects of the update, which is what they spent the entire time on. Did see some new perk icons though, so they're in the pipe.

Well it seems like that was the point of the stream. Everything else comes next week.

This selling gear stuff isn't really black and white. There's obviously a gray area where buying this stuff doesn't actually put you at end game or anywhere near it. It's (right now) cosmetic only.

Again, when the game is about collecting gear, and they let you buy gear, that is a line that is crossed. Stop moving the goalposts. If a people play Destiny to collect gear, and they offer a way to buy that gear with real money, then you are compromising the structure of the game.

Destiny as a competitive game...you and I know that the competitive aspect of Destiny is absolute trash. Absolutely unbalanced. And in Trials or Iron Banner, the most light you need to be 'competitive' is 290. You play to earn different gear. Even Bungie tries to make it a point that you shouldn't be getting max light level by introducing their previously broken infusion system.

So why do you play Destiny? To be 'competitive' when that state is broken and trash? Or to collect gear?

If your upset about the gear collection being behind money, then this goal post was moved back during SRL. When you could only access 1 full armor set with a $10 purchase.

I'm pretty into the idea of new New Monarchy gear. Aside from the Iron Banner stuff, they've always had the best look gear. They didn't show it, did they?

#NewMonarchy

They did, but I didn't take screenshots.

Honestly, all 3 sets seemed great. Though I would argue the Hunter seems have gotten the least attention.

I've put over 1500 hours into Destiny and haven't played since the end of SRL. Obviously I've "gotten my monies worth" but for this game that simply means I beat it's bad loot system by playing way too much of it.

This update seems gross in a desperate way. Yes, there are lots of neat additions and good QoL improvements for players new, current, and returning but it all seems in support of nothing of worth. The PoE was arguably the worst end-game PvE content released and the new cosmetic armour and items that can be optionally payed for feels slimy. I hope that Destiny 2 (or whatever they end up calling the next big release) blows everything released in Destiny out of the water (in scope, quantity, and breadth) because nothing they showed interests me enough to reinstall the game.

This is all just feels like spinning wheels.

Namikaze1

Someone want to sum up the stream please?
New armor lines called Desolate and Spektar
New item called Chroma that can be applied to weapons and armor
Chroma comes in four different colors
Chroma is independent of shaders
New sparrows
New emotes (Just Do It, Praise The Sun, and more)
New Ghosts
Old year one weapons will now drop from legendary engrams and can infused up to 335
MORE VAULT SPACE
New Queen weapons
A new item called Sterling Box
These boxes can give you a Chroma, ship, Desulate armor, Spektar armor, or a Vanguard/Crucible/Faction rep booster (all RNG)
You can get Sterling Boxes once a week from the Postmaster, a new Weekly Crucible thing, and PoE 41/42
You can also buy a box for 200 Silver
PoE exotics are getting the Year 2 treatment
Abandoned Quests kiosk over at the Reef
Infusion will now give 100% value
New gear for New Monarchy, FWC, and Dead Orbit
Can disable HUD
New Taken-ized sword

Well it seems like that was the point of the stream. Everything else comes next week.

This selling gear stuff isn't really black and white. There's obviously a gray area where buying this stuff doesn't actually put you at end game or anywhere near it. It's (right now) cosmetic only.

But it's not cosmetic, seeing as you can level it to max quite easily.

Calling it cosmetic is incredibly misleading. Cosmetic is akin to those crowns you can buy in World of Warcraft, which provide no stats and are used for transmogrification.

These pieces DO provide stats, and can be used in replacement of regular gear.

If your upset about the gear collection being behind money, then this goal post was moved back during SRL. When you could only access 1 full armor set with a $10 purchase.

Nope, my thing has always been slippery slope. The SRL armor was close to the line, but it couldn't be infused IIRC, it was purely for the racing.

Trace

Banned
On one hand I want to get back into Destiny. On the other hand I'm not doing the same raid again to get higher level gear since they just randomly increased the level on the same stuff, so that I can do PoE which I've already done to death so I can get more slight upgrades.

God damnit Bungie.

MrBenchmark

I must have missed the small print. All along I thought not selling gear meant not selling gear. Its not only max light gear that can offer up advantages in PvP and trivialize the core loot hunt.

Once that door is open and selling gear brings in revenue, good luck with trying to minimize its influence on the game.

so guess you guys missed the ability to buy gear during SRL. it's the same level 3 gear you still need to have high level gear to infuse to it. As a Destiny player since Alpha i just don't see the big deal.

The biggest take away is you can earn top level gear as a solo player thru strikes now!

Siege.exe

I mainly play Crucible/IB, as do many of my friends. Only time I switch gear is to compliment the guns I'm using, as there's no utility in getting gear just for the sake of having it. If you play Destiny just for gear, that honestly sounds kind of boring, but do you.

Lnkn52

On one hand I want to get back into Destiny. On the other hand I'm not doing the same raid again to get higher level gear since they just randomly increased the level on the same stuff, so that I can do PoE which I've already done to death so I can get more slight upgrades.

God damnit Bungie.

or run strikes.

Defuser

Bah gawd, I like how they brought back some of the fan favourite weapons from Y1 to Y2.....since when Two to the Morgue was a fan favourite when Felwinters were in the rage?

TDYK,Shadow Price, The Swarm were my Jam and I still have them in my vault.

HMD

They could not have made this update less appealing, their new activity is Prison of Elders... and their new gear is reskinned year 2 garbage. Just buff hand cannons and give me year 1 Crucible back.

Trace

Banned
or run strikes.

I'm at light level 308 or something, which is when I quit playing after doing the raid too many times for shitty loot.

Why would I run the same raid/strikes again just because they felt the need to increase the level another 10 so I can do slightly modified PoE content I did to death last may?

But it's not cosmetic, seeing as you can level it to max quite easily.

Calling it cosmetic is incredibly misleading. Cosmetic is akin to those crowns you can buy in World of Warcraft, which provide no stats and are used for transmogrification.

These pieces DO provide stats, and can be used in replacement of regular gear.

Nope, my thing has always been slippery slope. The SRL armor was close to the line, but it couldn't be infused IIRC, it was purely for the racing.

I don't disagree that the creep is there, and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

But SRL gear was behind a paywall, and infusable back in December for sure:

HRLjCCe.png

Since my raid group is probably done until the actual sequel, maybe they'll come back for the big DLC thing this fall but I doubt it, the 335 dropping on unique strike items gives me an avenue to mess around for a couple hours on my own while trying to grind up to 335.

Edit: Has there been any talk of dropping the RNG upon RNG in the end game? It's the biggest thing that killed my desire to play the game. With them talking about wanting to see people infusing more, now would be the time to drop that stupid longevity tactic.

I mainly play Crucible/IB, as do many of my friends. Only time I switch gear is to compliment the guns I'm using, as there's no utility in getting gear just for the sake of having it. If you play Destiny just for gear, that honestly sounds kind of boring, but do you.

Crucible is irrelevant, as all the stats are baseline. I rock Y1 gear in Crucible.

IB, there is a baseline to be 'competitive' and not die immediately, any light level after that is really pointless and superficial.

Either way, the perks aren't game changing enough to really give them value, but the fact is that being able to buy gear undermines getting different looking gear(Which is the whole point of the infusion system, to be able to level gear that you enjoy having), and undermines the grind for gear that Destiny has.

Full stop. Why keep looking for the perfect roll on a gear piece if you can simply buy some and possibly get that perfect roll right off the bat?

Raven117

Wait, so . . . Fatebringer?

I mean, really, what has Bungie really done with this update? A few more missions and a different PoE (which is fun . . . Ill do that for a week or two).

But the rest? I mean, they just re-shuffled the loot tables and everyone here is clamoring to chase the weapons and numbers again.

Infusion being 100%? Taking this long to change? Yeah jerks, you know why you didn't do it that way to begin with . . . You wanted to stretch the content.

All to have the loot tables completely re-done and everything re-hashed come the next major expansion in Sept (or so)? Nope...not me. I gear up for raids, but after that . . . eff off Bungie.

I just...sigh . . .

border

Again, when the game is about collecting gear, and they let you buy gear, that is a line that is crossed. Stop moving the goalposts.

What goalpost was originally set? I can't be expected to account for the dozen of varying opinions of people you've argued with in DGAF. Bungie has stayed in line with their original statement on microtransactions, in that it isn't a way to bypass the in-game progression system or boost your light.

The game is arguably a lot more about that progression system than it is just "collecting gear".

They did, but I didn't take screenshots.

Honestly, all 3 sets seemed great. Though I would argue the Hunter seems have gotten the least attention.

DualShockers has some screen caps. It looks largely the same, except for a few color differences.

Bottom of the Page so I'm throwing this up again:

• Hud Opacity
  • Roxbury Emote
  • abandoned quest kiosk at the reef
  • New Dead Orbit gear for each class
  • Sumo Emote
  • Shia Lebouf Emote
  • Chroma is a highlight color (unique per armor piece)
  • White, Yellow, Blue, Red chroma so far
  • New New Monarchy gear for each class
  • Elaine dance emote
  • Crane Kick emote
  • Neww FWC gear for each class
  • Chroma system is independant of Shaders
  • "Desolute" Gear (Taken looking gear)
  • Taken weapons from "new" winter's run strike
  • Taken twitch emote available if full Desolute set
  • "Spectar" armor (designed to work with Chroma)
  • Praise the Sun emote
  • Mind Blown emote

Will post more as we go.

Part 2

• Desolute and Spectar from "Sterling" Box
  • Sterling from PoE, Weekly Crucible, and Postmaster?
  • Parrallel to Legendary Marks?
  • Sterling is random, but can preivew all possible items.
  • Desolute and Spectar start at 3 Defense like SRL.
  • Rep Booster items in Sterling packages
  • Chroma faction armor availble through rank up only, not purchasable.
  • Taken ship "Waning Star"
  • Chroma is a material (Yet another upgrade material to take up space...)
  • Infusion 100% now
  • Can change what Chroma node is attached to the helmet (rerolling basically)
  • 100 glimmer to reroll chroma color. Doesn't impact actual ability nodes.
  • Vault space increased. 1 new page per.
  • Some Year 1 Legendaries brought up to Year 2 (Shadow Price example).
  • Lord High Fixer, Grim Citizen, Badger CCL, Saterienne Reaper, Devil you Know, Swarm
  • Zombie Apocolypse, LDR 5001, Longbow, Two to the Morgue, Comedian
  • Year 1 Legendaries come from Legendary engrams. Cannot purchase. (Unsure if old ones can be brought forward)
  • Can buy Sterling packages
  • Thus, can spend real world money on armor (Granted it's LL 3).

More to come.

• Deej's fucking HUD is disabled...
  • Hotfix day after update to update King's Fall loot tables.
  • Iron Banner, Trials, Unique strike weapons, exotic engrams, Court of Oryx artifacts, PoE Challenge all drop up to 335 weapons.
  • PoE weapons have chroma.
  • Sometimes Chroma adds unique textures to weapons.
  • Deej needs to enjoy every little bit of this as he kneels in front of his Titan partner's crotch...
  • New Sparrows. House of Judgement sparrow.
  • New Taken Sword seems to have nothing new to it.

Trace

Banned
So all the amazing Year 1 legendaries I kept are useless? They can't be upgraded and its back to RNG to get them?

SMH

Wait they're dropping Year 1 Legendaries again but I can't upgrade my old ones that I've kept? While the new ones you can?

Fuck right off Bungie, way to shit on Year 1 players yet again.

Gator86

Wait, so . . . Fatebringer?

I mean, really, what has Bungie really done with this update? A few more missions and a different PoE (which is fun . . . Ill do that for a week or two).

But the rest? I mean, they just re-shuffled the loot tables and everyone here is clamoring to chase the weapons and numbers again.

Infusion being 100%? Taking this long to change? Yeah jerks, you know why you didn't do it that way to begin with . . . You wanted to stretch the content.

All to have the loot tables completely re-done and everything re-hashed come the next major expansion in Sept (or so)? Nope...not me. I gear up for raids, but after that . . . eff off Bungie.

I just...sigh . . .

Basically my feelings on it. I think the biggest thing is just accepting this is what Destiny is. It's not going to be a different game just because people want it to be. It's a really pretty, great playing game with okay content supplemented by a million treadmills designed to stretch out that content. Adding more treadmills is pretty much all they can do at this point given the content development disaster Kotaku illustrated last year.

What goalpost was originally set? I can't be expected to account for the dozen of varying opinions of people you've argued with in DGAF. Bungie has stayed in line with their original statement on microtransactions, in that it isn't a way to bypass the in-game progression system or boost your light.

The game is arguably a lot more about that progression system than it is just "collecting gear".

People did aim for 320 light. But there are no bonuses for 320 light. That is, there is no in game advantage offered by being 320 light.

I saw all the content offered in the game with 310 light. To progress anymore was a fools errand seeing as there was nothing left to see. So for players it will stop being about progress, and it will be about personal goals. For some, this is getting to 320 light. For others, it's for getting different pieces of gear.

Again, if this game was only about progress, they wouldn't offer things to customize your character, nor would they allow infusion. Simple as that.

Lnkn52

UPDATED FACTION &
PRISON OF ELDERS GEAR
Faction packages will now contain select Chroma-enabled versions of their Legendary armor
sets at up to 330 Light. Updated Prison of Elders Legendary Gear is also Chroma-enabled and can
drop at up to 335 Light in Challenge of the Elders.
h7xWktH.png

border

I am so glad about the changes to Infusion. It's so frustrating to have to fill in the gaps with fodder items just to get full value out of the High-Light gear you're sacrificing......especially on exotics where every infusion consumes a shard.

UPDATED FACTION &
PRISON OF ELDERS GEAR
Faction packages will now contain select Chroma-enabled versions of their Legendary armor
sets at up to 330 Light. Updated Prison of Elders Legendary Gear is also Chroma-enabled and can
drop at up to 335 Light in Challenge of the Elders.
h7xWktH.png

For people who aren't good with thumbnails:

Hunter
Helm - Arachnid
Gloves - Kepri's Sting
Chest - Raspberry

Warlock
Gloves - Sunbreakers
Chest - Purifier

Titan
Gloves - Feedback Fence
Helm - Stupid statue face
Helm - Glasshouse

Patience and Time
Universal remote
All 3 House of Wolves exotics.

I doubt they would screw over Warlocks again. I bet they get 1 of the new exotics and are saving it for instagram later.

Siege.exe

Crucible is irrelevant, as all the stats are baseline. I rock Y1 gear in Crucible.

IB, there is a baseline to be 'competitive' and not die immediately, any light level after that is really pointless and superficial.

Either way, the perks aren't game changing enough to really give them value, but the fact is that being able to buy gear undermines getting different looking gear(Which is the whole point of the infusion system, to be able to level gear that you enjoy having), and undermines the grind for gear that Destiny has.

Full stop. Why keep looking for the perfect roll on a gear piece if you can simply buy some and possibly get that perfect roll right off the bat?

I don't agree with you on the perks. Having higher ammo capacity/quicker reloads is always nice, and having two trip mines or an extra jump both significantly changed the way I played once I got the gear with those abilities. Maybe I just have a different attitude about this because I don't go hunting for things. If I happen upon something and I like it, that's what I use. If you could buy any piece of gear you wanted with whatever perks you wanted, I could see your point about it trivializing the grind, but that doesn't appear to be the case. And if someone doesn't have the self control to not buy something they could get for free with some work, I think that should be on them.

I am so glad about the changes to Infusion. It's so frustrating to have to fill in the gaps with fodder items just to get full value out of the High-Light gear you're sacrificing......especially on exotics where every infusion consumes a shard.

So infusion is one to one now? I can now put level 315 into a level 290 and get it to 315? Man I lost out on a lot of levels. Does this work across the board with exotics included?

I don't agree with you on the perks. Having higher ammo capacity/quicker reloads is always nice, and having two trip mines or an extra jump both significantly changed the way I played once I got the gear with those abilities. Maybe I just have a different attitude about this because I don't go hunting for things. If I happen upon something and I like it, that's what I use. If you could buy any piece of gear you wanted with whatever perks you wanted, I could see your point about it trivializing the grind, but that doesn't appear to be the case. And if someone doesn't have the self control to not buy something they could get for free with some work, I think that should be on them.

Exotic perks do matter actually, because they actually change the way you play.

Legendary armor perks though? Nothing but trash.

Damn damn damn I love that new sterling box; and the rewards being more powerful/not feeling forced to find a group to do the challenge mode to get more powerful is exactly what I needed to get back in.

Destiny, I missed you so much!

Top Bottom