• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Exotic weapons fixed.... and then broken.

posted this in the destiny OT; maybe someone here can answer this.

i didn't have a maxed vex mythoclast so i don't know how they implemented the attack increase with that one, anyone with a maxed mytho did it just upgrade in damage after the patch without you having to do any other upgrades? if so why doesn't bungie just do that with ALL the old maxed exotics?

They want you on that threadmill without putting in any effort towards actually making new content.

GECK

You don't pay a sub so don't expect much out of Destiny's special events.

That's a silly statement considering the lack of Destiny content, especially of the pvp variety. Despite charging ~60 retail and another 20 for the DLC.

I assure you the game would have sold far worse if a sub was required.

Marcel

There are free to play games with better events.

I don't doubt it. I'm just saying the lack of a sub seems to be giving Bungie license to be miserly with what content actually makes up a special event. Going through the same map with a "new objective" is not a special event period.

E92 M3

posted this in the destiny OT; maybe someone here can answer this.

i didn't have a maxed vex mythoclast so i don't know how they implemented the attack increase with that one, anyone with a maxed mytho did it just upgrade in damage after the patch without you having to do any other upgrades? if so why doesn't bungie just do that with ALL the old maxed exotics?

I answered you 2 minutes later lol.

RSB

Banned
Replaying the Halo trilogy these past few weeks has made me realize just how good Bungie were at this. Sad to see them now, really.

What happened to you Bungie?

Sorral

I won't argue with your disheartenment*. If that's your reaction, I'll pass it along. (Although, who am I kidding? This is GAF, and people are reading this thread as I type.)

The facts I can provide are that we've tried to speed up the path to upgrading weapons by removing the need for Ascendant Materials.

*Is that a word?

Taking out shards/energies from exotics helps new players more than anyone who has been doing the raid for a while. I have so many of them in my inventory from the raid.

The exp amount is the real issue. Also, a fully upgraded exotic is as good as one that was never used right now with the reset.

Essentially Bungie has made leveling any not top tier exotic a waste because every 3 months the same bullshit will happen again.

Right after they make more exotics worth using, they make them useless again.

I... didn't look at it this way.

Man, sigh. Just cements that I should only bother with a handful of weapons.

cilonen

The facts I can provide are that we've tried to speed up the path to upgrading weapons by removing the need for Ascendant Materials.

But we'll still need them for all the new legendaries we'll have to buy, and they're harder to get now we don't get a daily package for a public event.

And needing a commendation from a level up to buy a new legendary means we can't exactly buy legendaries just to dismantle in to ascendant mats.

It's screwed up.

Korten

Banned
The only rationalization I can think of is that Bungie was really confused why everyone was happy after the December 1st patch and thought something was wrong. So to fix it they took a shit on us.

realcZk

What's this interesting tidbit about how I can make all my currently maxed out exotic gear (that I've worked hard for) viable in the expansion pass provided Xur and his notoriously cruel RNG allows me to do so, only by starting all the upgrade progression over again? Was hoping Bungie would say it ain't so...had to read that confirmation a few times to make sure it actually just happened....Resetting player progression sounds like a bad idea to me, unless its for something like the IB re-forging which it makes since (high risk/high reward), although those weapons are now worthless in the next IB since they are 300 attack, rofl. I sure hope I don't have to do this bullshit again for HoW (but if it's annoying enough I won't be playing that).

Was really excited about my Hawkmoon drop yesterday. No point in dumping ANY xp into it right now, especially not an exotic shard. Hopefully I wont have to wait until Fall 2015 when Xur allows you to upgrade PS exclusives to use it again.

It's a slap in the face to people who already time.

"Oh so you did this already? Well tough shit, do it again".
I'm used to this prestige idea when applied to gear as thats how weapons work in Warframe. But then again, getting a Warframe weapon to max level (or even getting to max level multiple times) isn't an arduous process.

I guess this is what happens when a game's grind is so nakedly laid bare, and where the time investment and repetition is skewed way too far for the amount of dynamic content to support it.

Jarmel

Banned
But there is no one forcing you to upgrade. Your weapon did not get weaker, just now has an even higher limit if you want it to.

Are you serious? The people worried about high level raids or stuff like Iron Banner are going to have to upgrade.

They're clearly going to be at a disadvantage if they don't. The only option is when you cough up the dough.

BreakJohn

I answered you 2 minutes later lol.

yea saw it, man.. i still feel the best thing they could have done is just bring up all the other exotics like they did with the vex, maybe at a later date or something so the vex can remain dominant in the new raid for a while like bungie intended.

Marcel

The only rationalization I can think of is that Bungie was really confused why everyone was happy after the December 1st patch and thought something was wrong. So to fix it they took a shit on us.

How tsundere of you, Bungie.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Which is...?
I posted it a couple pages ago.

"My solution for this would be to allow legendaries to be upgraded but reset since you can level those relatively quickly while exotics can be upgraded and retain progress. This will allow players to retain their gear and explore new content while still having to work to get the more common items up to snuff without losing progress on the rarest items. The precedent this sets for future expansions is awful."

I've posted my idea for a solution on Bungie.net and Twitter a few times. Hopefully they see it.

You're just a player. Do you think they care what you think?

It even says so in the Game Informer article. Most of the post-launch changes they've made were based on internal Bungie feedback.

You guys could have came up with another system for leveling the exotics to the new attack cap. I'm sure you're aware that exotics take a very long time to level. Most people don't appreciate having to completely discard their previous progress and start from scratch. Someone who has spent 200k+ XP on a weapon is in the same position as someone who has not spent one second leveling their weapon. That is not smart on your end and why would I spend time on non essential weapons like my Hard light when I know I will have to do it all over again once the next expansion is released? I would rather not level most of my exotic weapons.
I don't think this is exactly true. The person who spent all that time maxing an exotic will start with causing 301 damage with. I perks (have to re-grind them). The person who has a freshly minted exotic will start off at 260 with no perks. The only thing you are doing all over again is grinding perks.

Would you have preferred your 200k XP just be wasted on a gun that is basically useless or spend time playing the game and making your gun more powerful?

I still cannot believe this shit.

All weapons will reset to level zero AGAIN?

I spent weeks leveling up some of these exotics and now I have to REupgrade them?

What kind of crap is that?

Bollocks

Wait a minute, assuming my armor is all maxed, can I just take my exotic chest piece and bring it to Xûr and boom I'm level 30 since they get upgraded to DLC start amor which is higher than fully upgraded pre dlc armor? good thing I never joined the IB grind

danowat

Banned
I wonder if Bungie have actually looked, in depth, at the psychological drives behind MMO's, grinding etc, or just googled a bulletpoint list on the net and put their own spin on it.

I also see the statement "what do you expect, you aren't paying a monthly sub".

Is this a valid statement?, would the game be "better" if there was a monthly sub?

Korten

Banned

I spent weeks leveling up some of these exotics and now I have to REupgrade them?

Not only that but you need to wait to see if Xur has them in stock to upgrade...

AND it costs you 1 exotic shard and 7k glimmer.

Great design. /s

hitme

Looks like I got off the Destiny train just in time.

.. and I didn't pay a single dime. Thanks Bungie! ^_-

KMS

And the problem is that the raid will only be accessible 3 times a week max.

Yes, but the XP variable is still huge. Why punish people that max out their weapons/armor? It doesn't make sense.

They really should make the xp on the upgraded exotic carry over so no one loses out on the time put into leveling it the first time. Would make it far less of a FU to those with maxed weapons since unleveled guns upgrade just the same. Just blows my mind the level of player retention with grinding when it's not a subscription based game.

Marcel

That's a silly statement considering the lack of Destiny content, especially of the pvp variety. Despite charging ~60 retail and another 20 for the DLC.

I assure you the game would have sold far worse if a sub was required.

I agree with you. I'm kind of trying to play devil's advocate for why the content is so threadbare. There just is no good excuse so I probably shouldn't bother.

darkwing

better to upgrade DLC stuff, and just cherry picked your old exotics to upgrade

The facts I can provide are that we've tried to speed up the path to upgrading weapons by removing the need for Ascendant Materials.\

Does anyone at Bungie play this game!? You can't seriously think this is speeding up upgrading?

Most serious players have waaay more ascendant materials than weapons and (especially) armor to spend them on. I have hundreds of shards and energies lying around, what I don't have is infinite time to grind the XP and glimmer to re-level everything I've already leveled.

Navy Bean

I'm used to this prestige idea when applied to gear as thats how weapons work in Warframe. But then again, getting a Warframe weapon to max level (or even getting to max level multiple times) isn't an arduous process.

I guess this is what happens when a game's grind is so nakedly laid bare, and where the time investment and repetition is skewed way too far for the amount of dynamic content to support it.

That's the main issue for me. I wouldn't mind grinding out a few additional upgrades to get a higher level gun - seems a fair compromise. But starting over completely is just not worth the crazy amount of time it will take.

EL CUCO

Not only that but you need to wait to see if Xur has them in stock to upgrade...

AND it costs you 1 exotic shard and 7k glimmer.

Great design. /s

You know Xur is NEVER going to have an upgrade for Ice Breaker or Gjallahorn...

Korten

Banned
I agree with you. I'm kind of trying to play devil's advocate for why the content is so threadbare. There just is no good excuse so I probably shouldn't bother.

Isn't the final boss of the new Raid just a large Knight enemy? At least from the expansion cinematic it looks that way.

You know Xur is NEVER going to have an upgrade for Ice Breaker or Gjallahorn...

Also he probably won't have exotic bounty items nor the two PS4 exclusive exotics... lamo...

Dave1988

Can anyone explain to me where are you getting the "reset exotics will start with 302 ATT" thing from?

Is it from this?

destiny-4th-horseman-exotic-shotgun-stats.jpg

If it's this then I'd like to point out that this isn't a fresh exotic with no upgrades as indicated by the unique perks being highlighted in white (unique perks that aren't unlocked are grayed out). Seeing as both the perks are unlocked, the gun must have at least one damage upgrade unlocked.

Xater

WTF? I was looking forward to the expansion now not so much. Is it too late to get my money back for the season pass?

The Goat

Well, I think this might end my Destiny playing altogether. I understand, from Bungie's standpoint, why they would wipe everything, and start over, but it really shits on the effort I've put forth to get all these things upgraded.

Just not liking how they are handling the game. It should just be a whole slew of new weapons, using the new system. I'd be fine with that, as it gives me something new to go for. Grinding out all those levels again, just isn't fun.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My Stockpile is Ready!
CqAhudP.jpg

(Working on getting 5 more exotic shards by the weekend =D)

Let's fill those bubbles up again!

Marcel

Isn't the final boss of the new Raid just a large Knight enemy? At least from the expansion cinematic it looks that way.

The excuse for that was "that isn't even his final form" or some shit like that. Oh. Because advertising what the REAL boss looks like some big lore-based secret, right?

Heel

WTF? I was looking forward to the expansion now not so much. Is it too late to get my money back for the season pass?

Sony is "reviewing" my refund request for the purchase I made yesterday, though they noted that normally all sales are final. Will take 3-5 days.

Man, if they deny it I'll feel like such a maroon.

Anyone had success with refunds on preorder DLC?

Top Bottom