• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: How did the Alpha affect your opinion of the game? Vote inside.

Initially I had very little interest in the game, but after playing the alpha I am definitely excited to check out more of the game. Unfortunately I won't be playing it at launch since I'll be busy with college, but hopefully the community doesn't die by the time I get the game.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it would be a slog. I feared would be an extremely boring grindfest. I doubted the gunplay would be engaging.My interest level was: 5/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that it's fun. The shooting mechanics are solid and the different weapons allow for multiple play styles. My interest level is now: 9/10.

I had fun with it. I only played enough to get one class to level 8 and played a few domination (or whatever they called it) rounds. The gameplay felt good, though the variety of weapons in the alpha, at least from what I found, was somewhat lacking. I'm definitely going to buy the game.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Before 7/10
After 11/10

Not subbing again for FFXIV (6 month resub cycle), this game will be taking it's place

Alpha affected my opinion negatively. The Alpha is a sloppy mess and they let us play this 2 months before release?

- Some of the Boss encounters lack enough ammo drops forcing you to use rotating deaths as an actual strategy. This made an already long fight ridiculously long.

- The spawn system is so bad. Enemies always spawn at the same location, which is often right on top of your head while fighting other enemies.

- Loot was rarely found. Even when it was there was a 50/50 chance its level requirement was above the level max in the alpha.

- The bounty missions are all bad go here and kill x missions.

- PVP is beyond unbalanced since everyone uses their gear they collect in co-op. You can't compete unless you use the same two weapon types everyone else uses. shotguns galore!

- The FOV in the game is simply horrible. Especially in tight corridors and other areas. Feels like I'm playing a fps with binoculars on. Games never make me sick, but at a few points playing Destiny I actually felt dizzy.

- Characters customization also seemed very limited, but will hopefully bet much better for release.

- Player/Player collision is also wonky and bad. Especially when on the jet bike thing. It lead to a couple hilarious moments where we pushed other people over the edge of the map, and messed with them while they were trying to fight AI, but I could see this getting very annoying in release.

Everything just feels so sloppy, It's totally possible that this is an old build etc... but then I question why anyone with any sanity would choose to show this build off two months before release... At this point the beta better be amazing compared to this or I'm going to bail and just stick it out until Forza Horizons on the 30th.

Oh yeah, the UI is super slick and nice. That's the best part of the alpha.

If I was still 12 - 17 with lots of free time, yeah I would probably have loved the beta. But now in my 30s I don't think this is the type of game for me anymore. Just too much grind; it reminds me of Borderlands -- Diablo with guns.

Darksol

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it was pretty, but that I would never play it. Until now, the only FPS I've ever liked were Perfect Dark, GoldenEye 007, Bioshock Infinite, and Borderlands 2. My interest level was: 2/10

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that it is pretty, and fun. I will now buy this game. My interest level is now: 8.5/10.

fernoca

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny…that at least would be a fun/occasional FPS made by Bungie to play online, with some touches of Halo. Will get it anyway. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny…I can't wait! It mixes Halo and Mas Effect, with some touches of MMOs with you seeing other people playing around and doing missions (etc.)!. My interest level is now: 10/10.

MavFan619

Banned
Before the alpha my interest was at 3/10.
After it's 9/10. I see myself getting it day 1 and sinking a lot of time into it I had a good time.

Pimpwerx

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny…[finish this sentence]. My interest level was: 3/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny…[finish this sentence]. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Not hyperbole. I think my posts in the alpha thread told how excited I was to get this game. I wasn't paying it much mind before. I watched maybe 2 or 3 videos, and thought the graphics were underwhelming and the concept too bland. I guess I really had no idea of the scope and vision of the project. I applied for the alpha code just because. I did the same for Battlefield and got into that too. It just seemed like a thing to do. Boy, was I surprised at how much I enjoyed this game. No real tutorial involved on my first boot up, and about 5 minutes into my first mission, a friend invites me to a party, and we spend the next couple of hours learning the game and leveling up together. He was a GAF friend too, so not someone I know personally, but it was just so cool geeking out together. Like when we had our first public event right after hitting like level 4 or 5, and this huge walker comes out. Both of our reactions were hilarious.

It just reminded me of how much fun can still be had in an fps, that doesn't involve shooting each other or cover mechanics. PEACE.

Cday

Banned
error code: mongoose/10

I was never able to connect to anyone else and therefore was locked out of all of the alpha aside from free roam (alone) and that one mission with moon wizard. Even so the gameplay is extremely fun so I ended up pre ordering because of it.

Ark

1.Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny were pretty level-headed. I knew the game had fantastic potential but Bungie/Activision still haven't shown us anything outside of Old Russia, which is a shame. My interest level was: 4/10.

2.After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has improved dramatically. The presentation on this game is mindblowing, the soundtrack is beautiful, and the vistas are gorgeous. I absolutely cannot wait to play the beta in July. I'm even hoping Activision announce some crazy statue for a collectors edition because I'll totally jump on that haha. My interest level is now: 8/10.

Alchemist

I can empathize here. I solo'd about 80% of Borderlands 2 because I had very few friends who played it. I usually play single player games as well, so the majority of my gaming I do alone. But I was still interested in Destiny because I wanted to explore all the areas the game has to offer, and I really enjoyed just riding my Sparrow around Old Russia. Playing with GAFfers does make the game much more enjoyable, though. If you want to try out the beta, I'd be happy to team up with you :)

Yeah I'm definitely going to check out the beta. Hopefully it gains my interest again because right now the full release is an easy pass for me.

Before: 5/10
After: 9/10

Honestly, this game has waaaay too many detractors, most of whom probably just haven't played it.

It's the real deal.

A true "Consolized" MMO. ;)

It doesn't feel very MMO-ey to me. Other than the Tower (hub with shops), it's all pretty lonely. They should also allow you to chat with text. I hope there's a server browser in the final game too.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny… was that it is a game developed by the studio who made Halo, which I thoroughly enjoy, but with MMO-like trappings (loot, leveling, epic gear, etc.) which I don't particularly care for. I was somewhat worried that the gameplay was going to be lukewarm at best with such an emphasis on time sink 'hooks'. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny… is that it's actually a very fun game to play and has good game feel, which is most important to me. While the gear and stuff is okay I suppose and will be good to get the people who are into that kind of thing to play the game, the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is fun. My interest level is now: 9/10.

As someone who thoroughly enjoys Halo multiplayer and was hesitant on this games competitive aspect, after playing quite a few matches during this alpha I'm pretty interested to see more. I can definitely tell that Halo: Reach was somewhat of a dry run for this game, as several facets of it can be seen in this game but refined/expanded upon.

I enjoyed exploring the world too, and am curious to see more overall, but especially in regards to the competitive component. Honestly, I had more fun with it than I thought I would.

I think competitive would be much better if the amount of special weapon ammo players could carry was maybe reduced by half, that way people aren't running around with shotguns/snipers all match long but they would still have their purpose. I like that grenade spam isn't common due to their lengthy cooldown, and the supers aren't as ridiculous as I'd thought they would be, though this could change in the future.

Overall, I'm excited to see more and I will get around to preordering soon before the beta launches.

Nyx

It sealed the deal for me, together with the 7 minute trailer.

Won't be joining the beta as I want to discover the rest with my friends.

hydruxo

Before the Alpha, my interest in Destiny was completely fading. I was probably still going to get the game but from watching gameplay and stuff Bungie has shown, I still wasn't sold on the game and it didn't do much for me. Interest level - 6/10

After playing it and maxing out a couple characters, I can safely say that I loved it and I will be buying it day one. Knowing that the alpha was a tiny fraction of the final game just gets me even more pumped, I can't wait to explore all the planets. This is one of those games you just have to play and see for yourself. Watching videos of it don't really do it complete justice IMO. Interest level - 10/10

Drac84

Didn't play the Alpha, but have been watching streams and reading impressions here on gaf all weekend.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was confused. I wasn't sure what the game was at its core, but what I had seen in trailers and dev diaries interested me, and I loved the art design. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having watched/read about the alpha, my impression of Destinyis that I will be buying a PS4 (hopefully white, c'mon Sony Europe!) the day this game comes out. Character customisation looks great, the Tower reminds me of the best parts of walking around Ogrimmar/Ironforge, the world looks great, the story seems interesting, even the menus look amazing. I was always going to get a PS4, but was hoping to clear my backlog first. Now that backlog has a ticking clock. My interest level is now 10/10.

_woLf

Before, it was about 6.5/10. Impressions and trailers weren't looking good.

After, 10/10. The alpha, combined with Jason Jone's 7 min video a few days ago, restored all hype for me. Can't wait until it's released.

I do wish people would stop calling it an MMO though. To me, the game feels exactly like Guild Wars 1 only in FPS form. Has a main hub, but then it's rather limited while you're in the open world. I like it that way.

Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was "If Bungie made Borderlands, this is what the result would be.

My interest level was: 1/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny my opinion has not changed in the slightest. I like Peter Dinklage as the game's sort of Claptrap/Hansom Jack(?) replacement.But other than that, nothing about the game play or setting interested me at all. I think I'm just going to get the Pre-Sequel instead.

My interest level is now: 0/10.

Bradach

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was very good. My interest level was: 8/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny dropped a little initially but recovered the more time I put in it. After the strike mission I was day one. My interest level is now: 9/10.

It doesn't feel very MMO-ey to me. Other than the Tower (hub with shops), it's all pretty lonely. They should also allow you to chat with text. I hope there's a server browser in the final game too.

Yeah, outside of the Tower it feels so devoid of players. Once in a while I'll see a single other player running around besides our group. That is it. So MMO like.

Fbh

Before the alpha I was looking forward to it mostly because of it being made by bungie, but the gameplay videos and trailers didn't look that great 6/10

After the alpha my impression of Destiny was is that it's simply awesome. It looks great, has good weapon variety and is just overall a blast to play, specially with other. 9/10

chinto20

Banned
Before: 8/10
Now: 6/10

Surprisingly, the alpha was fine but fell short of my expectations, then again we're talking about alpha.
I felt it was far too short and too focused on multiplayer, which is fine but I would've liked a couple more main quests.

Spoilers for safety:

Shooting mechanics are fine and I like how the shotgun packs a good kick, player movement feels quite similar to halo, which is fine by me.

I also felt Peter Dinklage voice was dull, he has a good voice but I don't think he puts enough feeling into it.

Still on my radar though...

Jabba

Banned
Before: I thought Destiny was just another shooter. As I'm not a shooter fan. Maybe I'm not a pvp shooter fan is probably more accurate. I think adventuring hits a chord with me. Even, after getting better in BF4 pvp, there's no desire to play it.

After: After playing the Alpha, I've decided to give the game a shot for the adventuring side of the game. The mix of different types of games on the market Bungie has put together blend really well for my taste. For myself, when playing, although it has more in common with Borderlands, I get a feeling of the drive to play it like I had on Phantasy Star Online. Borderlands doesn't do that for me, even though I know Borderlands 2 is a great game imo.

Trouble

Banned
Before 9/10

After 8/10

I'm still onboard day 1. The Alpha just brought me back to earth with my expectations and what this game is meant to be.

Justinsimonin

Neo Member
Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was expecting great things even if very little of how it actually worked/ played had been shown. My interest level was: 9/10.

After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that it's more beautiful (art and tech) than I expected, exploring the world and strike mission are amazing and better than I could have hoped for, but pvp multiplayer has been unexpectedly unfun. These balance out and my interest level remains : 9/10.

Enordash

Before: 2/10 - complete convinced that I was not going to buy it
After: 8/10 - will definitely buy it if a couple friends jump on board

ethomaz

Banned
Before I really don't know.

9/10 after the Alpha.

Preordered because I was impressed... it is my first preorder on PS4 (my first digital preorder too).

cripterion

Alpha affected my opinion negatively. The Alpha is a sloppy mess and they let us play this 2 months before release?

- Some of the Boss encounters lack enough ammo drops forcing you to use rotating deaths as an actual strategy. This made an already long fight ridiculously long.

- The spawn system is so bad. Enemies always spawn at the same location, which is often right on top of your head while fighting other enemies.

- Loot was rarely found. Even when it was there was a 50/50 chance its level requirement was above the level max in the alpha.

- The bounty missions are all bad go here and kill x missions.

- PVP is beyond unbalanced since everyone uses their gear they collect in co-op. You can't compete unless you use the same two weapon types everyone else uses. shotguns galore!

- The FOV in the game is simply horrible. Especially in tight corridors and other areas. Feels like I'm playing a fps with binoculars on. Games never make me sick, but at a few points playing Destiny I actually felt dizzy.

- Characters customization also seemed very limited, but will hopefully bet much better for release.

- Player/Player collision is also wonky and bad. Especially when on the jet bike thing. It lead to a couple hilarious moments where we pushed other people over the edge of the map, and messed with them while they were trying to fight AI, but I could see this getting very annoying in release.

Everything just feels so sloppy, It's totally possible that this is an old build etc... but then I question why anyone with any sanity would choose to show this build off two months before release... At this point the beta better be amazing compared to this or I'm going to bail and just stick it out until Forza Horizons on the 30th.

Oh yeah, the UI is super slick and nice. That's the best part of the alpha.

Yes! All valid criticism that I also share. Bolded annoys me to no end too, and it forces me to play this in little spurts.
UI is nice but could even be made better if they would let us navigate though it with the trackpad, I mean it's there for a reason and almost unused throughout all games...

Probably will buy the game but it's a 5/10 for me just cause it could be decent time waster playing with people you know.

Ace001

I wasn't very interested before the alpha but I was going to get destiny anyway because I want the white ps4... After watching the videos(I'm not in the alpha) I'm happy to say I'm quite excited by the game and really looking forward to it.

1. Before the Alpha:

- Pre-ordered on hype and dearth of prospective titles alone; Tone of trailers and marketing were completely lost on me. Pre-order not withstanding, 3/10.

2. Post Alpha.

- Holy shit do I want to crawl through this game and find all its dirty little secrets. Pre-order saved, 9/10.

Arklite

Wont elaborate much on mobile but 7/10 when all I knew was videos, 8/10 after having spent time in its gorgeous environments. WTF is up with that auto aim, though? Obnoxiously strong.

The positive alpha impressions are encouraging, but what would make this thread far more informative and useful to someone like me would be if every person who commented also stated their level of experience with and appreciation for Halo, and the same thing for Borderlands.

Boss Mog

I'm probably in the minority here but my impressions are as follows:

When I first heard of Destiny 10/10

After the E3 2013 stage demo 8/10

After hearing Bungie talk about it and seeing more footage 6/10

After playing the Alpha 4/10

Man, that was the most boring and repetitive game I've every played and the competitive multiplayer was almost unplayable due to the horrid frame rate and the fact than opponents can be much higher level and you have no chance of killing them, plus that map design was so basic and uninspired, I expected more from Bungie. The whole thing feels like on of those generic Korean MMOs but with a FPS combat mechanic. I don't even think I want to waste any time on the beta,. Not to sound like a NeoGAF cliche, but needless to say: "preorder cancelled".

I was always super interested and the game seemed like a dream come true. Always did.

Negative impressions made me sad but I was still excited.

After Alpha?

Hook it to my veins. Hide yo kids! etc.

This is the next BIG thing.

Dysun

I always thought it looked great and didn't get the negativity. Playing the demo confirmed that. 9/10 before, 9/10 after

TheJLC

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was doubt and skepticism of whether the game would be any good. My interest level was: 4/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is amazement and I can't wait for the game to come out. My interest level is now: 8/10.

unbias

Before after I figured out it was only 3 people? around a 2/10

After I realized this feels like FPS PSO to me? 9/10

The game really hit a spot for my gaming habits I was not expecting.

Artorias

Banned
Before Alpha, probably 6/10. I figured I'd buy it but not at launch. Probably $30 range. Looked very slick but I'm not a big shooter fan.

After Alpha, more like 9/10. I'm a sucker for MMOs, and actually enjoy grinding to some extent. I hope they plan bigger content for more than 6 but I think its a good start. The one big bummer is that obnoxious auto aim. I know all Bungie games have had over the top auto aim but I really hope it can be turned down a bit.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Couldn't get into the alpha but I've been watching Twitch streams heaps.

Pre alpha I was at 3/10

Post I'm still there.

Something about the game looks off. The gunplay seems to lack the punch Bungie nailed in Halo.

That's just my impression from watching the streams.

genbatzu

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was, that it is Warframe in first person. My interest level was: 4/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is, that it is Warframe in first person, without melee. My interest level is now: 5/10.

I enjoyed it, but it was too less content and the level restriction too low to really judge it (typically in MMOs, low-levels are kind of boring)

blamite

I'd say I went from... hesitant optimism, to... let's say, restrained jubilation.

I likes a lot of what I was hearing about Destiny, individual aspects sounded cool, and I like the world, but I didn't really know what the game was. Seeing it pieced together in the alpha, even with such a small chunk of the game, it really makes sense what it's supposed to be.

And I like it.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that Bungie wasn't properly communicating to us what the game was like with the videos it showed and I had no idea what to think of it, yet I had an overall feeling of indifference towards it. My interest level was: 6.5/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that it feels almost like Phantasy Star Online, but with FPS controls, something I never knew that I wanted but it's fun as hell. The cooperative exploration mode in a relatively open world seems like it'll be completely amazing in the full game. It's like GTA how you can do a bunch of shit in the game without ever advancing in the story. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Top Bottom