• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: How did the Alpha affect your opinion of the game? Vote inside.

Krakn3Dfx

1. Before, interested.

2. After, definitely more interested, looking forward to seeing more actual story based missions as opposed to randomly created stuff. The underground stuff where you're forced to use a flashlight is cool, reminds me of Metro 2033, hopefully there's a ton of that in the full game.

Boss★Moogle;116767667 said:
I'm probably in the minority here but my impressions are as follows:

When I first heard of Destiny 10/10

After the E3 2013 stage demo 8/10

After hearing Bungie talk about it and seeing more footage 6/10

After playing the Alpha 4/10

Man, that was the most boring and repetitive game I've every played and the competitive multiplayer was almost unplayable due to the horrid frame rate and the fact than opponents can be much higher level and you have no chance of killing them, plus that map design was so basic and uninspired, I expected more from Bungie. The whole thing feels like on of those generic Korean MMOs but with a FPS combat mechanic. I don't even think I want to waste any time on the beta,. Not to sound like a NeoGAF cliche, but needless to say: "preorder cancelled".
Horrid framerate? It's 30FPS, Bungie games have never not been 30FPS since the original Halo.

Arklite

People keep mentioning PSO and it makes me laugh picturing Destiny with a ridiculous 'Engrish' announcer directing spontaneous group events like PSO2.

Walkinboss

Neo Member
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was quiet enthusiasm. I thought it might be fun but I had some reservations. My interest level was: 5/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny increased significantly. I expect to put many hours into the game this fall. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Kiyo

Before E3/Alpha: Wasn't really interested as I generally dislike playing FPS games on consoles. Figured I'd wait until it eventually hit PC to get it. Interest level: 3/10

After Alpha: Played the game and it's the first FPS game since Halo 2 that I wouldn't mind playing with a controller. The game itself is really fun and I spent about 8 hours in total playing. Game is now pre-ordered on PS4. Interest level now: 9/10

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it was Bungie's stab at an MMO. I had high hopes. My interest level was: 7/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that I was right, and it's even better than I hoped. The gameplay is tight and fun, the art direction and tone is superb and the open world is a joy to explore. I expect this game will dominate my free time for the latter half of the year. My interest level is now: 9/10.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was meh. I had no interest at all. I felt sleep every single time the game even was mentioned. I just hated everything I saw from it. It looked uninspired, way too much like a me-too Halo clone from a cheap company and also like a way-too-serious Borderlands. My interest level was: 2/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that while the competitive multiplayer is a complete mess, there's a lot of potential on the campaign. Yes, is not an MMO and yet it might end having some of the annoying things from them (fetch quests on the same place like 10 times) yet, the art, scale, visuals and sense of exploration and adventure I got playing with friends gave me a really, really good impression of the game. I loved the Citadel like part of the game where you buy stuff (can't remember the name) My interest level is now: 8.5/10. (an actual 8 but I will give it a free +0.5 point because of that fucking UI. Damn is sexy)

njd_online

Banned
Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was positive. My interest level was: 8/10.

After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny remains that way and it confirmed for me that the game will be worth buying and investing time in. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Marceles

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it was boring after seeing the E3 demo. My interest level was: 3/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is it's turning out to be an amazing game. My interest level is now: 10/10. Preordered it Saturday

GReeeeN

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny, looked great!, open massive world, would feel like halo but more MMOey, with an awesome PvP to keep me busy when I get bored of quests, etc.

My interest level was: 8.5/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny… needs some work, controller sensitivity and/ auto aim needs fixing, bosses really need to be balanced and not be a massive bullet sponge that kills you in one shot, and PvP needs some work on the server side, very laggy, controls dont feel as tight as i would like it, recoil is a little weird making it feel a little more spammy than halo (didn't expect it to allow you to carry over guns, etc from the actual game). Although mentioning negatives here, world is amazing, graphics are great, and co-op seems super fun!

My interest level is now: 8.0/10.

T.O.P

Banned
Before 5/10
After 5/10

Co.op can be fun, going solo is the most boring shit ever
MP seems pretty solid so far, maps weren't the best though

I'll wait for the beta before the final decision

1. Before the Alpha I was hoverin around a 6/10. I knew it was Bungie, so I knew it would be good, but honestly the game's marketing didn't really do much for me.

2. After the Alpha I shot up to a 9/10, and after having two of my friends over to play it with me it convinced them both to go out and get PS4's. Also, once you really get hands on with the game you start to understand why they had such a hard time explaining whether this was an mmo or not. Regardless everything works together just so well that it's impossible not to have a good time while playing.

would be 10/10 if not for the most phoned in voice acting in recent memory

Sintoid

Before 4/10 - moderate interest because of fascinating setting
After 8/10 - solid product with a gorgeous setting

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny from the reveal was looking good and preordered afterwards. My interest level was: 8/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is higher, I loved the Alpha and now looking forward to the Beta. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Wonko_C

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was "As a fan of sci-fi, why am I meh towards this game? Why can't I seem to get hyped like my friends? I'll keep an eye on it." My interest level was: 4/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny was "Ok but very by-the-numbers. Nothing stands out. Won't buy." My interest level is now: 1/10.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny to be cautiously optimistic . My interest level was: 8/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that it certainly seems quite interesting, but i didn't get enough of a feel to really cement my opinion, i am however very excited to see and play more. . My interest level is now: 8/10.

Played both Hunter and Warlock to level 8 and dicked around with the titan, had surprisingly more fun with the Hunter, though that may have been me being more familiar with the game, as it was the second character. Dug the crucible! was much more fun than i had thought.

Flipyap

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it was going to be an unremarkable shooter set in an unpredictable, dynamic world that would keep me entertained for years. My interest level was: 10/10 (assuming that means purchase intent)

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that it's a poorly designed shooter set in a repetitive, static world. Still holding out hope that the final game won't be an open world game where every enemy spawns (and absurdly quickly respawns) and stays in the exact same spot. That would be the most perplexing design decision in the history of bewilderment. My interest level is now: desperatelyneedtoplaythebeta/10 (I'm still buying it, but it might get old much faster than I ever expected)

whitehawk

Banned
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny…[finish this sentence]. My interest level was: 8/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny…[finish this sentence]. My interest level is now: 7/10.

The multiplayer was fun, but how can it not be. It's basically Halo multiplayer with some tweaks. The single player co-op missions however weren't very fun. I was pit with 2 others against a couple really big enemies that took like 10 minutes of endless bullets to kill. Not fun. I have no idea why they put that in.

ban25

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was one of only mild interest. My interest level was: 3/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has improved significantly. My interest level is now: 9/10. It's a lot of fun to play, both the single-player MMO-style zones and the team deathmatch/control points modes. The visuals still don't wow me, and similarities to Halo abound, but the gameplay is top notch. Can't wait to play the beta!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Before Alpha: Cautiously hyped. Love Bugie, love Halo, Destiny seemed like it could be amazing, or just good. 8-10

After Alpha: Beyond hyped. Alpha completly sold me on the fun and appeal of the game. Loved the world, the weapons, gunplay, powers, UI, Armors, missions, enemies, environments, etc. 9.5/10

Bungie is really on to something here. Can't wait to spend time in this world. Excited to see it break free of cross gen restraints for the sequels as well.

kmag

Before: 7/10 I was intrigued but worried about some of the stuff leaking out
After: 3/10 the core mechanics are good but I was horribly bored by the end. The full game needs to have far more content, far more mission types and needs to do a better job narratively to hide the grindy nature of it.

Kambing

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was of a generic shooter with the addition of coop. Was still going to purchase as my friends were all going to buy, but not really that excited for the game. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is holy shit... i need to play this MOAR. Really loving this game, hell i even tried not to plat it too much so as not to get attached haha. Definitely pumped now and am REALLY looking forward to the purchase. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that the game had high aspirations. I hoped that all of the puzzle pieces would fall in place during production. My interest level was: 7/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that Bungie delivered. My pre-order is locked seeing as a three-day Alpha is not enough and I wish to participate in the Beta in order to help the developer and by extension the community. most anticipated title of 2014 personally. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Before the alpha, my interest was pretty high. I like some MMOs, LOVED Borderlands 2, and I really like Halo CE back in the day.

After playing the alpha, my interest went to 10/10. I got a little bored with the very little bit that was in the alpha and I'd have like to ride out the story more as that was the most interesting 'quest' and I liked getting the reward from the various Guardian leaders. I was interested in ship mods, speeder upgrades, etc. I was disappointed at the relative lack of loot, though. I also wish there was a way to keep the waypoints up without constantly having to call up the ghost. The lack of any overhead map was unnecessarily limiting as well.

The actual shooting was a blast even though the enemies were often bullet sponges. Upgrading my secondary weapon to a sniper rifle helped a lot and once I got the throwing knives for my hunter, I felt like a legitimate bad ass in some of those battles. Multiplayer humbled me a bit though, as the opposing team had better speeders with powerful weapons. There needs to be better defensive tools available like shields or a quick dodge to help alleviate the overpowering nature of PvP. There was no way to feel legitimately skillful against an attacker and the map design limited opportunities for ambush or ambush defense.

If this game gets regular updates with new story quests, increased level caps, new classes with new supers and new locomotion modes or speeds, I can see it becoming the main game on my PS4 for quite some time.

ZehDon

Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was muddled, due to Bungie's inability to accurately describe the game. It looked like MMO Borderlands, but I didn't know what to expect. My interest level was: 2/10.

After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has improved to cautious optimism. The story and lore in Destiny is horrendously unoriginal, the game is unplayable outside of a group, and the balancing is all over the shop with never ending waves of bullet sponge enemies making up virtually the entire experience. The voice acting in particular is just plain bad. However, when it works, and enemies aren't just bullet sponges, its actually fun to play and pretty enjoyable. My interest level is now: 6/10.

Things that would improve my interest level:
  • Filter Dinklage's voice to achieve the correct "AI" styling.
  • Replace the PVP announcer entirely. Completly wrong for the game..
  • Ensure enemies drop ammo more often.
  • Tweak the enemies so they feel less like bullet sponges.
  • Add quests in the "Explore" mode that aren't started from beacons. Finding items in the world that set you off on a quest is a good start.
  • Better texture filtering.
  • Slightly increased base movement speed.
  • Being able to move ships around on the loading screen. Simple, but cool.
  • Add Heavy Ammo to PVP maps from the start. Vehicles are just too powerful.

With all of that in tow, my interest would be about 8/10. The MMO nature of the game and the uninteresting lore prevent it from getting much higher at this point.

GeNoMe

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny, was that it would be another generic space shooter. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny, has greatly increased. The gameplay is very addictive, and the graphics were drop dead gorgeous. . My interest level is now: 10/10.

I do hope that the explore missions get some variations tough, I tought that they were pretty tedious.

Before the alpha, I was cautiously optimistic. Honestly, I was quite confused about the game's identity. And the released footage looked kind of boring. My interest level was: 6/10.

After having played the alpha, waiting for the beta is going to be agonizing. I LOVE the game. Easily my favorite game on PS4. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Edit: Woah, me and GeNoMe just posted the exact same scores at the same time :p

Alpende

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was sceptical. The trailers didn't tell me all that much and it just looked like another Halo like FPS but igger My interest level was: 4/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny remains the same. I'm expecting some sort of huge grind fest as the game feels like an MMO. The game looks great already but the missions I played were essentially glorified fetch quests. My interest level is now: 5/10.

Rojo

Before my interest was about a 4 out of 10 and after the alpha its still a 4 out of 10 it just reminds me too much of borderlands without the things that i liked about it. It doesn't help that even that style in 2 had me burned out a bit.

Alebelly

I watched The Escapist play it and that was the first time I had seen it played with 4 people. Up until then I'd just seen some people playing it solo. Solo in this game looks like it will get boring really fast, but multiplayer looked pretty good. I'm interested in it, I plan om getting it, just not sure if its a day 1 for me.

Pyccko

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was cautiously optimistic. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is "Hey, pretty good!" My interest level is now: 8/10.

Toki767

Before Destiny Alpha my thought was: Bungie wanted to stop making Halo to make a game that looks like Halo? - 2/10

After Destiny Alpha my thought was: Microsoft sure was stupid to not let Bungie make a game that wasn't Halo. - 9/10

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it was another Bungie shooter and that I definitely wanted to play it. I'm a FPS fan after all :) My interest level was 7/10.

After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that my reactions started off a bit lukewarm and then I started to love it more and more the more I played. Now I can't wait for release day. My interest level is now: 9/10

glaurung

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was slightly above average. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has improved significantly. My interest level is now: 9/10.

RexNovis

Banned
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was "Hmm a Bungie game. Might be worth checking out but the trailers and marketing really cease to amaze." : 3/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny "My God this is fun. Why is this so fun? I have to go to work in 4 hours why cant I go to sleep? Wow look at the sky! It's so purdy! Woohoo take that you god damn spider tank! What do you mean I can't play any more? Give it to me NOW!!!!! :'( " :10/10

Seriously I have never had a game blow me away as much in recent memory. I went in with such low expectations and it effectively shattered all of them. It's not perfect but MY GOD IS IT EVER FUN!!!! The Strike in particular was a blast to play through with friends. Especially going back through and cleaning house on legend difficulty. I just wish they didnt cock tease so much with the lvl 9< drops T_T so many awesome weps I cant use. I cannot wait to play more. I preordered it immediately after the Alpha despite having no plans to buy it beforehand.

Before 3/10 Had very little interest in it, knew my mates were getting it and really hyped for it so tried the Alpha.

After 9/10 Glad I tried the Alpha, really looking forward to it. So much potential. I even enjoyed the PvP stuff

panda-zebra

Banned
Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was of a game that was primarily an FPS, probably geared to PvP but with a campaign and some additional content/modes tacked on to flesh it out a little and convince more people to buy in. Never having played online multiplayer FPS and having no intention to do so, I was going to purchase but my interest level was a lowly 6/10 wizards from the moon.

After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is somewhat different. It appears Bungie have been making several games at once and look likely to be able to pull off merging them somewhat seamlessly into a whole (the potential is there). After what alpha.bungie.net reports as 21 games played with 2057 kills in just under 18 hours (with the majority of that split evenly between story and explore) I am still not even slightly tempted to visit the cruciblef, but I'm completely sold on the exploration, character and gear RPG aspects and, surprisingly, even the strikes with randoms. My interest level is now: hyped/10 Hive Ogres.

ref

Before the alpha: Not really interested, the world designs looked fantastic, but aside from that I thought it would the Halo gun mechanics/feel with Borderlands-esque RPG elements.

4/10

After the alpha: I still feel it's the same thing. However, I was surprised by just the amount of RPG features, it feels more like an MMORPG opposed to Borderlands. Visuals are pretty and the atmosphere is pretty strong. Not a fan of the PvP multiplayer, but the strikes are really fun.

7/10

I didn't think it would be so coop multiplayer oriented, I'm aware it's optional, but the time I played with friends really boosted my impression of the game.

Top Bottom