• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: How did the Alpha affect your opinion of the game? Vote inside.

Man

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that I love Bungie's work but they hadn't explained the full Destiny package well enough. My interest level was: 8/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that it is a great gameplay escape and that the cohesiveness of the experience is at a very high level. My interest level is now: 10/10.

The Alpha met my high expectations and slightly exceeded them thanks to the cohesiveness of the experience. I've bought every Halo game at launch since the original and I'm a fan of Bungie's work so expectations were high going in. The gameplay, dreamy music, god-tier UI and rock solid multiplayer base serves this game well. The most fun aspect is the challenging Raids. I've been wanting this since it was first hinted at in Resistance 2 and I can finally say that it's here.

stressboy

Before the alpha, I was probably an 8/10. I was pretty hyped for it and had already planned on getting it.

After, definitely a 10/10. I had a ton of fun with it. Day 1.

Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was extremely meh. I had literally no interest in this game before the beta. I found out I had beta access Wednesday, and I didn't even bother downloading it until Friday night. My interest level was: 2/10.

After having played the alpha, the only thing I'm mad about is not downloading it earlier. It's hard to explain what makes this game awesome, but I do know that I will now pre-order this game. Never has a demo/alpha changed my opinion of a game that fast. My interest level is now: 9/10.

Hasney

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was Halo with loot which isn't an interesting thing to me. My interest level was: 2/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is a lot better. It was a rollercoaster, like starting in friends only mode made the game unenjoyable as it was so dead, turned that off and it was a lot better. There's still some issues like the hovertank being way OP in PVP, auto rifles needing recoil or you just have a straight choice between that and a scout rifle. Also, some of the enemies needing to be toned down from the bullet sponge madness and that 3D hit direction arrow needs to be re-done completely, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. My interest level is now: 7/10.

Unlike others, I won't be avoiding the beta. Hopefully it has different content and the final game has a 30-50 level cap with enough content to get you there. Then we might be talking a purchase.

Oh and goddamn helmets need to be able to come off at will. I didn't spend time hiding a face for it to be hidden away. Most MMOs have an option for showing headgear or not while keeping the armour rating.

Before - 4/10 (borderlands+halo=meh)
After 10/10 (hover bikes+dancing=fuck yeah!)

I enjoyed the alpha very much. Combat is good. Love the exploration and co op. Pre ordered.

bebop242

I think what he said sounds harsh and it won't flop but bookmark it cause all those people who are saying they are hyped and 11/10 will not be playing this after 1-2 months due to boredom.

Because of what you saw in an Alpha? C'mon really? Its not going to be all hookers and blow over at Bungie till release day.

Before the alpha :
I thought it was pretty generic, run of the mill sci-fi shooter with copy-pasted mechanics from GW2 and Borderlands. 3/10

After the alpha :
Turns out that there are some pretty novel mechanics too - encryption trader leveling is really something new. Other than that - the game is still the same generic sci-fi shooter with a lot of copy-pasted mechanics.

BUT IT'S A BLAST TO PLAY. 8/10

Brashnir

Before: I hope Bungie hasn't traded in making games for making insipid, soul-sucking addiction simulators.

After: Bungie has traded in making games for making insipid, soul-sucking addiction simulators.

Hanmik

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was not good. My interest level was: 3/10. Looked like a boring shooter.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has changed alot. My interest level is now: 9/10. I really liked the 3 hours I played it..

I have never played a Bungie game before.. But Destiny has a really nice atmosphere and setting.

Mik2121

Before the Alpha.... 8/10. I really wanted to play it but was a bit worried about the game not feeling good enough...

After the Alpha... 10/10. I don't think the game is perfect, but still it's my most hyped game right now.

However, it has a few things that I would love to see changed...

- Loading takes FOREVER. Alright, maybe not, but it feels incredibly long. Sometimes I don't feel like going back to the Tower just because of the loading. In the final game I expect to go to the Tower a lot to sell stuff, or deposit stuff on my storage or check what some of the items I got are. Hopefully they do something about the loading.

- Dropped items. I have been quite worried all the time thinking maybe I left some of the drops somewhere and left the area without noticing. I know they're quite bright, but it would be nice if there was some sort of notification (even if it's not text, just some visual clue) when an enemy drops an item. Or maybe being able to see all items dropped around when you press the touch pad and the grey line goes through the map. It could highlight things dropped behind walls and all that.

- Chat options. I guess this is not happening, but it would have been nice to have a deeper gesture system, with maybe some presets for people who can't turn on the microphone at that time. This is not a must at all, it just would be nice... (something maybe a bit less cluttered than PSO's system).

There are probably other things but I forgot now. Anyway, really pumped for this game! I will actually skip the beta to prevent spoiling the game anymore, and just jump straight onto the full game.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that the game lacked proper direction and focus, some things looked great, music, art direction, but the gameplay seemed like a boring Borderlands clone. I was thinking of buying it eventually anyway because Bungie. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that the game fucking rocks, i´ts amazing. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Before: 6/10
After: 6/10

Seriously I have no idea where the money is going, Bungie should be audited.

Wut. Even if you didn't like the game, the sheer amount of content is indicative of where the money is going.

As for me. I was an 8 - I have loved all of the Halo games until 4, and have enjoyed the trailers, artwork and concept up until this point.

Played the alpha (admittedly not as much as I was hoping to) and now I'm a 10. This will be my GOTY without a doubt. Loved the visuals, music and guns. Loved the exploration and cool enemies. And really enjoyed the PVP, though it definitely needs some polish.

My only criticisms at this point are:
1. Needs more shit to find. In all my exploration I found some materials, a little cash and a handful of chests
2. Adjust enemy respawn time.
3. Better hit feedback for shields. Feels very muted.
4. Tower is lifeless. Needs to be bigger and have more stuff to do to kill time while waiting for friends etc

1. Before playing I had high hopes seeing as it was a new game from Bungie.

2. I really enjoyed exploring the world, running into high-level enemies that I had no hopes of beating early on and running into random people (making the world feel alive) kept me entertained. None of my friends were ever on while I played but that didn't detract from the enjoyment I had. The only things I disliked were the deathmatch and specifically the moon map. I was hoping for the second coming of Halo 2 (ok, maybe my expectations were a little TOO high) and the multiplayer let me down.

cripterion

Because of what you saw in an Alpha? C'mon really? Its not going to be all hookers and blow over at Bungie till release day.

I guess we will see.
I'd like this game to be good. Throughout all it's marketing, it's really been sounding like an ambitious project. I just don't think it translates into the game from what I've played so far.
Hopefully Beta opens up things a bit.

Also on a technical level, while I find the game beautiful, it doesn't feel fluid and again I gotta stress about that narrow FOV that makes me dizzy if I play for too long.

Spinluck

My interest before 7/10.
My interest after 7/10.

Thought it was pretty fun, and it was about what I thought it'd be.

I can't wait for the beta.

Alfebit

Banned
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it looked like a fun romp to play with my friends. My interest level was: 7/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that I will 100% be picking this up day one. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Stimpack

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was pretty much nonexistent. I knew hardly anything about what the game would be.
My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has exceeded my expectations. I think there are some minor flaws, but I'm now very excited to see more. I think it has a lot of potential.
My interest level is now: 8/10.

XanaviF30

Before alpha, my impression was open world Halo! Must have! 11/10.

After having played the alpha, I'm still digging the game. It's a 9/10. Day one for me.

Wut. Even if you didn't like the game, the sheer amount of content is indicative of where the money is going.

but there really isnt much content in the alpha. Only a few hours of gameplay and that was only extended by the horrible spider tank encounter where we had to rotate deaths for a half hour to beat it. Outside of the main quest available you have bounty quests. All mind numbing go here and kill x quests.

i understand the majority of content is held back for release, but i don't get how you can make that assumption based on the alpha. Neither of us know what will or won't be there. I know whats in the alpha though. Its not a lot.

As someone who never really liked how halo played, would that mean I wouldn't like how this played. I genuinely can't tell if I want this game or not.

WITHE1982

1.Before the alpha, my interest level was: 6/10. I had pre-ordered before hand.

2.I was very impressed with the Alpha had a lot of fun with it and now my interest is around 8/10.

My biggest problem now is the BETA. I'm torn between just ignoring it to avoid spoiling the final game or hammering it to see the new additions.

THREAD UPDATE:

I've updated the original post with Statistics based on how you guys and gals are voting. They're at the bottom of the (first) post.

I'll continue to update it as more opinions come in.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Genuine question, not trolling: What is it that makes everyone so giddy about Destiny? :) Could someone maybe explain it? I've read a lot of previews and seen videos, but just can't quite wrap my head around the hype. I want to be excited, but am having trouble doing so.

but there really isnt much content in the alpha. Only a few hours of gameplay and that was only extended by the horrible spider tank encounter where we had to rotate deaths for a half hour to beat it. Outside of the main quest available you have bounty quests. All mind numbing go here and kill x quests.

i understand the majority of content is held back for release, but i don't get how you can make that assumption based on the alpha. Neither of us know what will or won't be there. I know whats in the alpha though. Its not a lot.

You had some really really poor groups if it was taking you half an hour to kill the spider tank. With me, a friend and a random dude the game queued us with we were doing the entire mission on Legend within a roughly 30 minute span.

There is no circumstance where your team both playing well and properly geared for the instance would need half an hour for any of the bosses alone.

You had some really really poor groups if it was taking you half an hour to kill the spider tank. With me, a friend and a random dude the game queued us with we were doing the entire mission on Legend within a roughly 30 minute span.

There is no circumstance where your team both playing well and properly geared for the instance would need half an hour for any of the bosses alone.

We were playing fine. We got there easily with low level and our starting gear. There was no damn ammo the entire fight hardly. Only way to replenish was take turns rotating deaths. Nothing to do with poor groups or skill level lol Just a bad encounter overall. Besides the lack of ammo the fight was amazingly easy.

Before the Alpha my interest level was at 7/10 It looked good and I was quite excited, but I wasn't really blown away by it.

After the Alpha it is definitely 10/10, haven't had that much fun with a game in a while. Really looking forward to the Beta and finally playing it with some friends.

Before: I loved the art style and world but wasn't too impressed by the videos they had shown. 5/10

After: Awesome game so far. Will pre-order to get into the beta

9/10

Arklite

As someone who never really liked how halo played, would that mean I wouldn't like how this played. I genuinely can't tell if I want this game or not.

Depends. It does have a Halo vibe, but the weapon selection and actions are more traditional than Halo's alien plasma stuff and dual-wielding, the classes have a bit of nuance to them, and generally I feel like it's not as floaty of a game as Halo. Too bad you missed the Alpha, great chance to get a feel for the basics.

mcz117chief

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that is going to be a true masterpiece, another Halo-tier game made by Bungie. My interest level was: 9/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that it is a solid game but pretty darn repetitive and boring after a couple of hours, I hope the full game will have a lot more fun gameplay and a great story with epic moments we all know from Halo . My interest level is now: 7/10.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that is looked a bit generic and a bit Borderlandsy (real word, honest). For all we knew about the game - we seemed to know very little about the game. My interest level was: 5/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is much more positive. It felt like a proper shooter with nice tight controls. It did seem to have the rhythm of Borderlands but bolted onto a much better underlying game. I became a little intrigued by the background and story elements and there is a lot more depth than I appreciated from my initial impressions. I am not a huge fan of on-line shooters, but love the loose co-op aspect of Destiny. The one environment shown was beautiful, vast and interesting and the story beats worked well. It was also nice to have the opportunity to explore at your own pace by yourself or with a posse (like Red Dead). If I can get a couple of my friends to play online on a semi-casual basis then this is a no-brainer. Spotted a couple of bugs and annoyances but nothing to detract too heavily from the game. My interest level is now: 8/10.

We were playing fine. We got there easily with low level and our starting gear. There was no damn ammo the entire fight hardly. Only way to replenish was take turns rotating deaths. Nothing to do with poor groups or skill level lol Just a bad encounter overall. Besides the lack of ammo the fight was amazingly easy.

There is your problem, you were underleveled. A single level I gained during my first time in the instance added about 40 damage per bullet with my auto rifle. Level makes a HUGE difference in how fast things die. Not only from your character naturally doing more damage per level but also because when you start the instance it gives you modifiers on stuff like each type of gun and armor.

When I did Legend at level 6 my modifiers for the instance were like -36% damage with each gun and armor. When I did it at level 8 the modifiers were +30% damage with each gun and like +36% armor or something along those lines.

Lucifon

What's interesting is how poorly the game was explained before the alpha, but after the alpha I really don't see what was so hard to explain. It seems like they wanted people to think it was an MMO (due to some early comparisons) and were scared of saying otherwise - it's just a load of coop missions with a hub world for 'quests' etc and matchmaking for standard shooter pvp modes.

My hype has increased certainly from playing it though, I just don't understand why it was so hard to explain the game.

There is your problem, you were underleveled. A single level I gained during my first time in the instance added about 40 damage per bullet with my auto rifle. Level makes a HUGE difference in how fast things die. Not only from your character naturally doing more damage per level but also because when you start the instance it gives you modifiers on stuff like each type of gun and armor.

When I did Legend at level 6 my modifiers for the instance were like -36% damage with each gun and armor. When I did it at level 8 the modifiers were +30% damage with each gun and like +36% armor or something along those lines.

If you can get to a boss battle of that difficulty so easily and end up so under leveled that you have to resort to those tactics. it's bad design. sorry.

Marvel

could never
Before:
iNBLuhzsoqL3h.gif

After:
ibw4F8KS9Zzwi5.gif

Hype levels stable, pre-order kept.

Hasney

You need to have some consumables bought to replenish the ammo. Never start a fight without them.

If you can get to a boss battle of that difficulty so easily and end up so under leveled that you have to resort to those tactics. it's bad design. sorry.

I agree with that. Had a level 4 come into my legendary strike team and we just had to stop reviving him he died so often. The final version better have some minimum level/equipment ratings to lock away content like most MMOs do.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Before the alpha: 7/10, because I knew I wanted to play it cooperatively with a friend but I am not a huge shooter fanatic

After the alpha 10/10, because its controls incredibly well and was super fun. Cant wait to get my hands on the full version.

If you can get to a boss battle under leveled that easily it's bad quest design. sorry.

This is something that happens a lot in the MMO genre. Being able to reach a instance boss under leveled and then run into a wall on a boss is super common and not really bad design, just not a design you care for.

Even in PSO this kind of thing happened, you could muck your way up through to De Rol Le or Dark Falz and then hit a wall because you didn't have enough damage or HP to do the fight properly.

The normal mode of the instance even says before you enter that it is meant for level 6 on the lower difficulty, with Legend being even higher then that. Stuff not dieing quick enough because you are under leveled isn't really a development problem.

before alpha: borderlands online, not interested
after allpha: its the swtor of mmofps'es. gonna play the story. bonus points for dinklage

TheMink

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was very positive. My interest level was: 8/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny was reaffirmed. My interest level is now: 9/10.

JawzPause

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that I was not that interested. My interest level was: 2/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has completely changed. I couldn't stop playing it and I'm looking forward to its release. My interest level is now: 9/10.

Vire

This is something that happens a lot in the MMO genre. Being able to reach a instance boss under leveled and then run into a wall on a boss is super common and not really bad design, just not a design you care for.

Even in PSO this kind of thing happened, you could muck your way up through to De Rol Le or Dark Falz and then hit a wall because you didn't have enough damage or HP to do the fight properly.

The normal mode of the instance even says before you enter that it is meant for level 6 on the lower difficulty, with Legend being even higher then that. Stuff not dieing quick enough because you are under leveled isn't really a development problem.

It gives you a sense of progression, the feeling that leveling is actually doing something and your character is improving.

It's incredibly satisfying to make quick work of something that was previously giving you lot's of trouble. So yeah, I hope Bungie doesn't nerf the health because of whiners like him.

Top Bottom