• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Do you like The Division TM Ruthless? Genuinely asking. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

If you're going to play with friends, it will be fun. There are things I like and things I don't, but I would recommend getting it if you want to try something other than Destiny.

Don't have it. Avoiding it as I can't afford the time for another time sink. I'm sure it's really good though. Crucible?

You didn't get it. Destiny = Dark Zone 'cause no one is playing it :p

What's the Division PvP feel like? Is it worth playing just PvP or is that mainly something you do to mess with folks or steal their stuff?

It's hard to call it pvp because it's a hybrid of pve and pvp.

You'll find the best loot in the Dark Zone and it's fun messing around with other players as a team, but there is no dedicated pvp mode like crucible.

What's the Division PvP feel like? Is it worth playing just PvP or is that mainly something you do to mess with folks or steal their stuff?

Yea it's not really PvP.

Dark Zone, you can do the following:
1) Fight against AI (All loot originates from AI), get loot.
2) Fight other players to take their loot

The goal is to call in a chopper (1.5 minutes of waiting, notifies everyone in that zone) and extract all your loot. You can carry max 6 items to start, with perks giving you more.

Sometimes I've seen no Blueberries and only got loot from AI, other times I've gotten killed by Blueberries who first act friendly then turn their back on you, steal loot and extract. And a couple of times, Blueberries help you all the way through so they can extract as well without any confrontation.

There's a lot of shooting and healing when battling each other.

Then you repeat. Loot until full, call in chopper and protect each other for 1.5 minutes, extract. If you die, your whole bag of loot gets dropped and can get picked up by anyone, unless you have no loot (either haven't gotten any yet or you extracted your bag already).

Here's me dying in the Dark Zone and losing all of my good loot:

My best haul that got owned. Could have used the holster especially, and performance mod.
1h138am.jpg

Rerolled my facemask to go from Electronics to Stamina so I can take advantage of both of my weapons' perks. A nice even 120 across the board. It cost me 1000 Credits for the 1 reroll, but I was able to pick between a list of options (it had 28 electronics. When I hit reroll, it did the RNG and I can pick which one I want: 30 Electronic, 32 Stamina or 29 Firearms, so rerolling is super cool here since it'll calculate 3 options/rolls you can choose from).

That's how you char looks for all the stuff you can equip. Firearms/Stamina/Electronics is similar to int/disc/str.

Inb4 we lose Drizzay to The Division

It's hard to call it pvp because it's a hybrid of pve and pvp.

You'll find the best loot in the Dark Zone and it's fun messing around with other players as a team, but there is no dedicated pvp mode like crucible.

lol yeah that ain't gonna happen @neo I'm glad some people are liking it but just not for me. I don't have the patience or time to learn a new MMO-lite shoot&loot kinda game. I'd buy WoW before Division tbh.

Too many Steam games right now. I'll keep an eye on Division and see if the end game stuff they add in updates is interesting.

Ji66a-Man

lol yeah that ain't gonna happen @neo I'm glad some people are liking it but just not for me. I don't have the patience or time to learn a new MMO-lite shoot&loot kinda game. I'd buy WoW before Division tbh.

Too many Steam games right now. I'll keep an eye on Division and see if the end game stuff they add in updates is interesting.

Such a lust for PC Master Race.

I'd love for Destiny 2 to be on PC. I don't think it'll happen though. Games can easily outperform consoles with a medium of the line gaming rig. Plus 1440p looks so beautiful. I can't imagine 4k.

Consoles is like Apple and PC is like an Android, barely any customization versus super crazy customization (phones)

Drizzay has already transcended his role as mere Guardian and has become the new Speaker.

lol pretty much this Also, I'm secretly evil. Maybe. I don't know anything about Destiny story.

Blame Stabie, he gave me family sharing access to his ~250 games. Hence the MGS5, Rise of TombR, etc etc. PC's like Pandora's Box, I can't go back now. Think of the beast machine you could've built with like 10 pairs of shoes Kappa

the_id

All good. I'll post here next time first see if anyone is keen going against the Crucible Radio community. My friend's list only has 6 people playing destiny anyway.

All good. I'll post here next time first see if anyone is keen going against the Crucible Radio community. My friend's list only has 6 people playing destiny anyway.

Who're these Crucible Radio folks? They're trying to set up sweaties and looking for teams to play?

the_id

Who're these Crucible Radio folks? They're trying to set up sweaties and looking for teams to play?
Yup. They've got a community of PVP people who do Scrims for fun. Been in one, I'm so scrubby but its good fun. Use sweaty rules. Its fun with friends but I've been trying to get some DGAF to join and then THAT game had to come out.

the_id

This weekend i'll be all over it, whats the link for it?

A challenge has peeked Drizzays interest
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1RU...F7oiV955qa6c4xas/viewform?edit_requested=true
Sign up on this form and also, just to chase SwainBot up, email them at crucibleradioslack@gmail.com and tell them that you want to join. They want to know if you are either going to be a PVP teacher of a PVP student.

Then they'll invite you to their Slack chat where its pretty much mostly like GAF except using a fancier app.

I'll send you a PM and post here as well and see if we can get a group together to play with.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong, please: getting to 295 light is no big deal, plenty of drop everywhere and between 295-300 is kinda hard and boring without raids. Then you can only achieve 300+ light with normal raids, hard mode raids (for 310+) and Trials of Osiris/Iron Banner. Am I right?

Because I'm stuck at 297/298 light since forever and I'm worried that every activity is useless except the raid.

PS Oh, I also know about the chance of getting a 310 exotic with an exotic engram if you're above 300.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong, please: getting to 295 light is no big deal, plenty of drop everywhere and between 295-300 is kinda hard and boring without raids. Then you can only achieve 300+ light with normal raids, hard mode raids (for 310+) and Trials of Osiris/Iron Banner. Am I right?

Because I'm stuck at 297/298 light since forever and I'm worried that every activity is useless except the raid.

PS Oh, I also know about the chance of getting a 310 exotic with an exotic engram if you're above 300.

Pretty much, end game progression is a huge mess and even then you're not guaranteed gear to progress outside of challenge modes. Exotic engrams decrypt at 310 when you're 310+

Edit Normal Kings fall will drop gear between 300-310. Hard mode 310-320. Trials 300-310 (from bounties and 5/7 wins) and a weapon at 310+ from the lighthouse and iron banner will be anything from 280-310

You're best bet is to raid normal mode to get a feel for it, then do the challenge modes

I could be wrong but I think the only 300+ light gear is from Raids, Trials and Iron Banner. I can't think of anything else.... I know some people have gotten to 300+ without raiding, only through PvP. Definitely get into a raid group sometime if you're interested, more for the experience than the light level. Or at least jump aboard an Iron Banner train or something.

edit: exotic engrams have a chance to be 310 once you're 300+, it's guaranteed to be 310 once you're 311+

Pretty much, end game progression is a huge mess and even then you're not guaranteed gear to progress outside of challenge modes. Exotic engrams decrypt at 310 when you're 310+

Edit Normal Kings fall will drop gear between 300-310. Hard mode 310-320. Trials 300-310 (from bounties and 5/7 wins) and a weapon at 310+ from the lighthouse and iron banner will be anything from 280-310

You're best bet is to raid normal mode to get a feel for it, then do the challenge modes

I could be wrong but I think the only 300+ light gear is from Raids, Trials and Iron Banner. I can't think of anything else.... I know some people have gotten to 300+ without raiding, only through PvP. Definitely get into a raid group sometime if you're interested, more for the experience than the light level. Or at least jump aboard an Iron Banner train or something.

edit: exotic engrams have a chance to be 310 once you're 300+, it's guaranteed to be 310 once you're 311+

Thanks, I guess I'll just raid and play those events then. It really is a mess, with this process they deleted 80% of the game.

Speaking of raiding - what sort of light should you be for the Heroic version of Kings Fall? I'm 309 right now and cleared the place 4 times, but don't want to jump in prematurely and hold a group back.

NeOak

Speaking of raiding - what sort of light should you be for the Heroic version of Kings Fall? I'm 309 right now and cleared the place 4 times, but don't want to jump in prematurely and hold a group back.

309 is fine. Just make sure you use the weapons you have with the highest light.

Auctopus

I'm gonna grind my Hunter up to Level 40 this weekend, I think. But matching for Normal-tier Vanguard Strikes is so bad.

I always end up spawning in to a fireteam that promptly disappear as soon as I step in to the Strikes.

WeTeHa

I'm gonna grind my Hunter up to Level 40 this weekend, I think. But matching for Normal-tier Vanguard Strikes is so bad.

I always end up spawning in to a fireteam that promptly disappear as soon as I step in to the Strikes.

Just do all the story missions or play pvp. That should be way faster than grinding strikes.

The fact you're even worrying about it and asking puts you ahead of some people on LFG :)

If you have a competent group of 5 they can carry a low light pretty far.

I got up to Oryx on a 298 hunter (people willingly volunteered me to do this)

I've given in and bought the division. It is currently downloading and my hope is that both destiny and division will keep me going. As long as content keeps coming for both games I shouldn't really have a lul.

Destiny will always be the main though. Unless the division can pull out some amazing stops in the end game

I have to admit, I've been watching Goth stream the daily challenge mode and the Division finally looks interesting to me. Seems challenging and fun.

May have to take the plunge! O_O

E92 M3

I have to admit, I've been watching Goth stream the daily challenge mode and the Division finally looks interesting to me. Seems challenging and fun.

May have to take the plunge! O_O

I've been watching some streams, and it looks like it's always just fighting waves of bullet sponges. Loot doesn't seem interesting either =/

phen0m24

I've been watching some streams, and it looks like it's always just fighting waves of bullet sponges. Loot doesn't seem interesting either =/

So like shielded captains ;) And Valus.

I'm enjoying it, but will still play both.

Loot I haven't messed with apart from mods so far. Trying to figure out fun loadouts.

E92 M3

So like shielded captains ;) And Valus.

I'm enjoying it, but will still play both.

Loot I haven't messed with apart from mods so far. Trying to figure out fun loadouts.

Destiny has varied enemies and interesting weapons - the core gameplay has always been there :p

(I can only devote myself to one investment-based game at a time).

WeTeHa

Oh is it? Ok then, I just thought the drops were more consistent running strikes.

Yeah, the drops are probably better from strikes, but the xp you get from pvp (2200 per match completion?) and story missions (huge amounts for the first story completion + quest rewards) should get you to 40 much quicker. After you hit 40, you should already have high light weapons from your other characters and then just do some court of oryx to get to 290+ quickly.

aarcane

Picked up my First Curse yesterday, still not sure if I like it. It's powerful, for sure, but it's so damn slow. Or maybe I'm not choosing my battles wisely enough.

I wasn't completely sold on The Division, so I'll probably still be on Destiny. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone on Xbox want to knock out the Trials bounties at the weekend?

Auctopus

Yeah, the drops are probably better from strikes, but the xp you get from pvp (2200 per match completion?) and story missions (huge amounts for the first story completion + quest rewards) should get you to 40 much quicker. After you hit 40, you should already have high light weapons from your other characters and then just do some court of oryx to get to 290+ quickly.

Ah nice, yeah it actually makes more sense to just level the characters and not worry about loot seeing as the majority of it while levelling is replaced anyway.

Picked up my First Curse yesterday, still not sure if I like it. It's powerful, for sure, but it's so damn slow. Or maybe I'm not choosing my battles wisely enough.

I wasn't completely sold on The Division, so I'll probably still be on Destiny. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone on Xbox want to knock out the Trials bounties at the weekend?

JohnOfMars had a post a few pages back about it being viable in PvP. It hits like a truck and can be a two shot kill. It rewards a VERY precise hand. It's not for everyone.

And yes, I have been killed by it a few times, in a competitive Trials match.

My big dramatic "Done with Destiny*" post is still true. Even if I was online last night. Ape even called me out on it, messaging me "I see you."

I came back last night to do Challenge Mode Oryx one last time. I hadn't missed a single week since it began 3 months ago. I remember just how frustrating most bosses were at the start, but especially Oryx, but recently we were Team First Try. I've never raided with the same folks for so long, but it felt really good to get know them all better and know these fights better. I felt Oryx was certainly a "solved" encounter when we started in December, but we have that fight truly "on farm" now. Improving as an individual is one thing, but improving as a team is really something else.

King's Fall is entirely a bust and in my eyes is below Crota's End. Crota's End was short, brutal and poorly tuned, but it has one virtue over King's Fall: I actually want to re-visit it. The only non-tedious part of King's Fall for me is baiting Oryx's shade in the Shadow Realm. I love challenging the Shade Mano a Mano with Razelighter. After I block his slam and give him a Phoenix uppercut, it feels so good! I don't have my Nightstalker fully leveled, but I finally got Graviton Forfeit last night. That means I can finally Shadestep! Sometimes it worked poorly, like rolling off the platform trying to dodge an Acolyte Eye, but I also had a lot of fun baiting the Shade's slam and rolling away to victory. I think I was 5 for 6? Not bad, even if LT was getting salty.

So yes, while that was the last King's Fall for me, I hope it's not the last time I get to raid with LT, T-44, Kreepmode, Dorrsom, Hawkian and the new guy, WipedOut.

That's the raid, but I realized, I've already been "done with Destiny" for a lot of the game a while now. I don't do Nightfalls anymore. I don't do Iron Banners. I don't do most of this game. And since on Tuesday when I tried regular Crucible and got spawn killed, Thorned and Y1 Power weaponed, and HMGed all match, yeah, I'm done with that too. The only things left are DGAF and Trials (in that order.)

But I do enjoy DGAF, so you probably will see me on in Destiny (especially for the Vault & Trials).

But if I could re-phrase my early post, I think I'd say "I'm done believing in Destiny."

After a year and a half of the Live game feeling abandoned, I'm done believe in Destiny. Despite being a social shooter, with weekly resets and monthly events, the game really is put on auto-pilot after launch. I had really hoped that having a Microtransaction supported Live Team would mean we'd get a better live game this year, but it's not been the case. It's been worse in a lot of ways.

The Light System is so bad now. Activities are so limited. Drops are so bad now. Rewards are so bad now. You can't buy Armor Materials! Yet, Bungie don't care. I get it, big over-hauls should be saved til Fall, but little fixes could make your players lives so much better. At this point, I've seen nothing to make me believe that Bungie isn't happy with the current system, even if the current system is unacceptable.

I used to believe in Destiny, even during the dark days of the Loot Cave, ReXurbishing and Crota's End Hard Mode. Now, I believe Bungie really only cares about shippable products, not after launch support. The live game only gets the minimum amount. The community team only reacts with the minimum needed, even when giving more would cost them nothing.

With an investment based game, why should I invest in the (live) game if Bungie doesn't (beyond more MTX events & half-assed special ammo changes)? That's what's left me defeated.

The Spring update is still probably 2 months away, but what I'll be paying attention to is Quality of Life updates. This is the last update til September, so it's gotta last a *long* time. If there aren't dramatic improvements in player quality of life, it really will confirm my worst fears. Make me believe that Bungie doesn't hate fun. Make me believe that Bungie doesn't hate player progress.

Tl;dr: Can I write a Dear John letter, if I am myself John?

Top Bottom