• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is honestly the worst argument someone can make, yet it keeps getting repeated as if it were a good point. So what if other MMOs have done this? Does that somehow make it okay or enjoyable or fun? "Keep playing and it sorts itself out" -- yes, invoke the law of large numbers when someone posts about their interest waning.

It's actually a perfectly reasonable response when someone is claiming the RNG is broken. Interest waning is a personal thing that can't be argued against but claims of "broken" most definitely can be argued.

If many MMO's work with the exact same style of RNG without people complaining about it, then claims of "broken" don't make sense.

Izayoi

Banned
Just stop playing. If the RNG is making you this salty it will probably only get worse. I was close to quitting, too, but once I got lucky and hit level 30, there was literally nothing to do or hope for anyway. If you have Diablo, 2.1 just hit consoles, you could play that in the meantime. I'm dying for Bloodborne, too.
We carried a 26 through the raid for her first time and she got all three pieces in one go.

Meanwhile, we've been running on multiple characters week after week, and get nothing.

Bungie punishes people for playing their game on a regular basis. That's not how you retain playerbase.

Izayoi

Banned
It's actually a perfectly reasonable response when someone is claiming the RNG is broken. Interest waning is a personal thing that can't be argued against but claims of "broken" most definitely can be argued.

If many MMO's work with the exact same style of RNG without people complaining about it, then claims of "broken" don't make sense.
List the MMOs with an RNG system like this, that give you absolutely no alternative to gearing to cap.

Tying levels to gear is a huge mistake. What's wrong with item level? Getting to level cap is 100% random in this game. That's stupid, and straight-up bad game design.

The game rewards pure, dumb luck. Doing well or being dedicated gets you nowhere. What is the logic behind this?

ZangBa

The loot system is so bad because there is essentially no reason to use anything but the first legendary armor you come across to fill in your 4 armor slots. There is no real significance in stats or variation, there is no build defining gear pieces despite what some may say about exotics. Once you find 4 legendary armor pieces you are pretty much set until the raid hands you 3 more. The loot pool in this game is too small and insignificant.

Of course, it's just my speculation why the loot system is against us so much. I was surprised they changed engrams considering how much easier it gets people to the point where there really isn't anything to do.

Edit: Also, this isn't even an effective way to keep people playing. Lucky players will get geared out quick and stop playing, unlucky players will get pissed off and quit, too.

FIVE FUCKING GJALLARHORNS, three of them from THIS WEEK, one every single fucking time I did the Nightfall.

Absolutely ridiculous. Bungie has no fucking clue what they're doing with this game.

I don't even have one horn

And the Nightfall has only ever given me strange coins...

neoism

makin a sunlock :p what the fuck WHY is EVERY one of the hair styles fucking terrible... I had to go bald again :/ I mean damn they look terrible....

We carried a 26 through the raid for her first time and she got all three pieces in one go.

Meanwhile, we've been running on multiple characters week after week, and get nothing.

Bungie punishes people for playing their game on a regular basis. That's not how you retain playerbase.

Yeah, that's not a great system.

UPGRADE UNLOCKED!!!!

OH, YOU'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A BATTLE? DID YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR RADAR? YOUR HEALTH? OOPS, SORRY! I JUST HAD TO TELL YOU THAT YOUR BOOTS ARE READY TO GO FASTER!!!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Just starting the level 28 daily heroic if anyone wants to hop in. Open fire team, psn Bicep_Curls. I don't have a mic on fyi

Geneijin

List the MMOs with an RNG system like this, that give you absolutely no alternative to gearing to cap.

Tying levels to gear is a huge mistake. What's wrong with item level? Getting to level cap is 100% random in this game. That's stupid, and straight-up bad game design.

The game rewards pure, dumb luck. Doing well or being dedicated gets you nowhere. What is the logic behind this?
Pretty much why afk in Crucible matches is just as efficient :lol

Izayoi

Banned
I don't even have one horn

And the Nightfall has only ever given me strange coins...
Which can be used to buy a whole host of useful items.

Having five duplicate Exotics is completely useless. 10 Energy? Great.

Pretty much why afk in Crucible matches is just as efficient :lol
Yup. Same for AFKing through the Strike playlist (which happens to me all the time, yet another glaring issue with this game).

Ganhyun

So, did Bungie nerf the public events? My friend and I have been using the public events to try and do them, and so far 3-4 of them have completely not shown up, including the one on the divide on earth with others besides us there....

edit: nm there it is... 10 minutes late.

nothing pissed me off more than everybody I know getting the chest I wanted from one reason or the other, and I didn't. So I moved on. Refuse to get that chest now

Izuna

Banned
Been looking to find a group for the Hard Raid on Xbone for 6 hours now. Fucking no matchmaking, are you kidding me?

rdrr gnr

That doesn't exactly extol the tendencies of the types of people who play MMOs. If you consider an average player who is willing to dedicate a reasonable amount of time across all the content complain about the loot structure the solution isn't to suggest they sink in another 100 hours and hope they get the loot they are asking for. There are two groups at the extreme: those who have no issue sinking in months of play time and those who want everything immediately in a week. This is game is absolutely not appealing to the audience who has been playing hotkey WoW or WoW-clone garbage for the last 8 years, the same way it isn't appealing to the linear, scripted corridor-shooter players.

Bizazedo

Looking two people to hit Vault of Glass Normal. I am running some real life friends through..well trying to :). I've done this, but they are new.

Message me on PSN, Bizazedo.

Every MMO uses the same type of RNG. There's just typically more tiers and more items slots so you have more incremental progress.

Also, Light level is the exact same thing as Item Level, just named differently. Each bit of light that you get makes you slightly more effective, even within the same Light Level. Just like what you would see with iLevel. The different is Destiny only uses Light as a power determination while MMO's uses multiple stats.

You can also have pure dumb luck in any MMO Raid as well. WoW and some others have the ability to Master Loot so you can spread the loot among your players but other games that use personal loot (GW2, Warhammer Online, etc..) can all have the chance of a single player making out with quite a haul, while others get dupes or side grades like materials or whatever.

zlatko

Banned
Looking to get the final boss raid on hard check point from anyone on PS4.

I want to do the solo bug while it's there.

Please invite me so I may grab the checkpoint with my Warlock.

PSN ID: OutlawOcelot

X-Frame

The "bottom half of the magazine does additional damage" perk on the Suros Regime doesn't seem as significant as I originally thought.

It has a 33-round magazine and yet it seems like only the last 80% of the clip starts to increase in damage, but it does it only gradually until the final 3-4 shots which seems to get exponentially more damaging.

I assumed that the damage increase would start at 16-17-rounds into the magazine and be consistently damaging. The last 20% doesn't seem much like "bottom half".

Angry Guy

I've done the raid twice since Monday and I already want to run it again before my group of regulars is even ready. The thirst is real.

So I got a 77 Wizard and Atheon's Epilogue, are these worth dumping energy into?

Izayoi

Banned
That doesn't exactly extol the tendencies of the types of people who play MMOs. If you consider an average player who is willing to dedicate a reasonable amount of time across all the content complain about the loot structure the solution isn't to suggest they sink in another 100 hours and hope they get the loot they are asking for. There are two groups at the extreme: those who have no issue sinking in months of play time and those who want everything immediately in a week. This is game is absolutely not appealing to the audience who has been playing hotkey WoW or WoW-clone garbage for the last 8 years, the same way it isn't appealing to the linear, scripted corridor-shooter players.
185 hours into the game. I'm completely burned out by the RNG. I put up with it for as long as I could.

I love the gameplay, but I'm growing to resent pretty much every single other aspect of the game.

ZangBa

If they were to fix loot distribution in raids, it would probably boil down to collecting "marks" per encounter/boss kill, and maybe reputation, with some of the more cosmetic things being random, like the sparrow and ship. That Mythoclast or whatever should have been a quest chain or something. Players should be rewarded for their effort and dedication.

Anyone have advice for the dinklebot section of the nightfall? I feel like I can do it with my strategy (in fact I have but now I'm trying with my alt) but I keep making one false slip and I die.

Homeboyd

Anyone on Xbone need the nightfall/weekly? Have beaten them both before but running on alts. Only need one.

GT: Homeboyd903

Edit: Mango, Xbone or PS?

jett

D-Member
Well, my reward for leveling up to Crucible Level 4 is a random class item, which turns out to be boots for a Titan. Obviously not changing factions was a waste of time, although changing factions is a waste of time since the weapons/armor they sell is garbage.

At least today I got 10 rare fusion rifles if the game ever randomly decides to give me a pocket infinity quest, thanks for the tip.

I don't understand how can you design a game with so much RNG bullshit.

What I've found most often is that the people who have the most problem with the RNG either haven't played a game with MMO style RNG or have a misunderstanding of how the RNG works (i.e. The don't see the similarities to MMO RNG or they're expecting Isometric Loot Game style RNG). Of course there's going to be people of every type that are exceptions all along the spectrum of types of players but being that this is a Bungie Shooter first and foremost, I wouldn't assume that most of the player base are MMO veterans in the slightest.

And I've played plenty of MMO's and have no issue with the way loot is distributed in this game. I've run Raids for months in typical MMO's looking for that one drop from that one boss and never, ever, gotten it. It happens all the time to lots of people. They're just used to it.

What I've found most often is that the people who have the most problem with the RNG either haven't played a game with MMO style RNG or have a misunderstanding of how the RNG works (i.e. The don't see the similarities to MMO RNG or they're expecting Isometric Loot Game style RNG). Of course there's going to be people of every type that are exceptions all along the spectrum of types of players but being that this is a Bungie Shooter first and foremost, I wouldn't assume that most of the player base are MMO veterans in the slightest.

And I've played plenty of MMO's and have no issue with the way loot is distributed in this game. I've run Raids for months in typical MMO's looking for that one drop from that one boss and never, ever, gotten it. It happens all the time to lots of people. They're just used to it.

Are there any more reliable systems that have been tried? And, by reliable, I guess I mean more predictable and controllable.

X-Frame

Anyone have advice for the dinklebot section of the nightfall? I feel like I can do it with my strategy (in fact I have but now I'm trying with my alt) but I keep making one false slip and I die.

When you activate the Dinklebot door hack, run straight back from where you came from, across the bridge and up in order to be out of the range of most of the firepower coming your way. If you have a sniper rifle with a long-range scope you can carefully and easily take out everything and never get hit.

On my first character doing the Nightfall, I actually bolted to the Ketch ship and sniped from there. Both are good options but I think I prefer the cliffs from where you enter the caves.

Anyone have luck using the Titan Striker death from above ability? If there are a group of enemies, it falls short most of the time for me by landing on the perimeter rather than center of the group where it would get more kills.

Also, the pillar (or spike?) grenades aren't that useful for me. They need to be placed precisely, don't do that much damage, don't last that long and seem very situational.

Death from above always shoots down at the same angle. You aim with the height of your jump, not where your cursor is pointed. Once u get a feel for the angle of descent (seems a little steeper that 45 degrees), you can aim it pretty accurately. Also, make sure u have inertia moving forward. If I try to jump straight up and o it, half the time I leap straight down.

Izayoi

Banned
Every MMO uses the same type of RNG. There's just typically more tiers and more items slots so you have more incremental progress.

Also, Light level is the exact same thing as Item Level, just named differently. Each bit of light that you get makes you slightly more effective, even within the same Light Level. Just like what you would see with iLevel. The different is Destiny only uses Light as a power determination while MMO's uses multiple stats.

You can also have pure dumb luck in any MMO Raid as well. WoW and some others have the ability to Master Loot so you can spread the loot among your players but other games that use personal loot (GW2, Warhammer Online, etc..) can all have the chance of a single player making out with quite a haul, while others get dupes or side grades like materials or whatever.
Really? Something tells me you don't play many MMOs if you think that EVERY MMO uses this kind of RNG. The only time I've ever been this frustrated by an RNG system in an MMO was with shitty KMMOs.

The problem with Light dicating level is that level in this game is HUGE. The difference from 29 to 30 is astronomical in hard mode VoG, and it's based purely off of luck.

rdrr gnr

185 hours into the game. I'm completely burned out by the RNG. I put up with it for as long as I could.

I love the gameplay, but I'm growing to resent pretty much every single other aspect of the game.
Me, too. 7 days, 17 hours. I've completed the raid every week except for the first week, same for the Nightfall. I've maxed crucible and vanguard marks every week since launch. I'm level 3+ faction rep for all factions including crucible and vanguard. I have never gotten a legendary or better drop in crucible. If you don't count Xur or exotic bounties, over the course of my 8 days of play time, I have a grand total of 2 exotic items, both Thunderlords from purple engrams. That's it. My haul from the last few Nightfalls as been this: 9 strange coins, 7 ascendant energy, and warlock gloves (I'm a Titan).

This is literally the feeling I have when thinking about what the designers had in mind or when arguing against apologists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom