• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
is funny how player trading and voice chat would either solve or diminish virtually every problem with this game not related to balance or its story

When you activate the Dinklebot door hack, run straight back from where you came from, across the bridge and up in order to be out of the range of most of the firepower coming your way. If you have a sniper rifle with a long-range scope you can carefully and easily take out everything and never get hit.

On my first character doing the Nightfall, I actually bolted to the Ketch ship and sniped from there. Both are good options but I think I prefer the cliffs from where you enter the caves.
I tried this, but doesn't the second wave spawn enemies up there?

We may need 2 more people for normal mode raid at 9:30 EDT (~20 mins from now).

Xbox One

Message me on xbox if you're available. Gamertag is same as GAF name (Zoso Achilles)

Tokubetsu

Finally decided to give my Red Death a try after using nothing but suros for a few days in PvE. I like it! My first purple weapon was the POX VOLO though so I came to appreciate and love pulse rifles. Might level it up alongside my suros for pve.

ZangBa

Eh, I've played MMO's, WoW in particular for several years. The loot system in this game pre-engram buff was pretty terrible, consistently slapping unlucky players in the face for getting their hopes up when they finally found a legendary engram. Loot drops are mostly tied to RNG, rather than dropping off bosses or specific enemies or encounters. You can't reasonably work towards a specific item other than through reputation vendors. At least in something like WoW, I could just run the same dungeon over and over until the one boss gave me the blue I needed so I could do something else, and it would take a reasonable amount of time. Destiny doesn't really give you that option.

Anyone have advice for the dinklebot section of the nightfall? I feel like I can do it with my strategy (in fact I have but now I'm trying with my alt) but I keep making one false slip and I die.

Most difficult part to solo for sure. First, know where the hobs spawn and keep out of their sight while still prioritizing them (1st wave: Center, 2nd wave: Large boulder next to metal pathway and the nearest portion of center area, 3rd wave: can't remember if any spawn here). Being on the top of the Pride Rocks might be a bit too hazardous, but do avoid going too far down the metal grated path where Minotaurs and shielded Harpys can ruin your day (latter I suggest an upgraded Raid rocket launcher for dmg+blast radius; bonus points if you have the mini-explosive bomblet upgrade).

Otherwise....good luck.

Edit: Ketch ship is a good choice too, though you'll be a bit more open to fire when the enemies spawn as you make your way there.

Frenden

Banned
I was about to let off the gas a bit until DLC hit, but Iron Banner is my cup of tea (aside from some questionable disincentive of the losing team getting zip).

The RNG can be merciless, sure, but the core shooting mechanics are solid enough that I want to keep headshotting things.

Kaji

Now I'm "one of those guys" had my worst pvp game all day (1.0kd) and walked away with this

87m5QoN.jpg

Every exotic auto rifle collected [tick]

rdrr gnr

What I've found most often is that the people who have the most problem with the RNG either haven't played a game with MMO style RNG or have a misunderstanding of how the RNG works (i.e. The don't see the similarities to MMO RNG or they're expecting Isometric Loot Game style RNG). Of course there's going to be people of every type that are exceptions all along the spectrum of types of players but being that this is a Bungie Shooter first and foremost, I wouldn't assume that most of the player base are MMO veterans in the slightest.

And I've played plenty of MMO's and have no issue with the way loot is distributed in this game. I've run Raids for months in typical MMO's looking for that one drop from that one boss and never, ever, gotten it. It happens all the time to lots of people. They're just used to it.
I don't care if you've played every MMO since the beginning of time. "They're just used to it" is absolutely right. I'm not exactly going to acquiesce. Because I don't view myself as anything other than Bungie's/Acti's target demographic, I won't accept arguments that require a certain type of player or a certain type of mentality going in. I'm taking and evaluating the game for what it is and as long as my issues maintain what the game intends to be rather than having it totally shift genres, those criticisms are valid.

ZangBa

Now I'm "one of those guys" had my worst pvp game all day (1.0kd) and walked away with this

87m5QoN.jpg

Every exotic auto rifle collected [tick]

Nothing wrong with that. Top 3 player, so you made a respectable effort. Have fun with your new weapon.

ocean

Banned
Got Raid boots! I had a feeling I'd get those first (no clue why), so I never used any shards on my old legendary. I'm at the Gorgon maze and even if I don't get anything else this run will still have been worth it :)

That said..... elemental primary would make my day. I also got an electric blue towel for my Titan to rock.

WOO got my first Nightall win thanks to fellow gaffers, raizel76 and PhD_In_Owning_.
thanks alot guys almost gave up until i decided to try and see how far i could go solo lol.

Looking for one for Nightfall and Weekly Heroic.

So far:

Level 29 Warlock Sunsinger (Me)
Level 28 Hunter

Need one more on PS4 ASAP

My PSN is: ShinigamiFrost

We can also join you if you are solo.

Kaji

Interested in what everyone's combat ratings are mines sitting at 155.43, you can check via your profile on bungie.net under your crucible stats.

Are there any more reliable systems that have been tried? And, by reliable, I guess I mean more predictable and controllable.

Not typically for Endgame because the nature of MMO design is typically treadmill. They need the playerbase progress in general to be slow enough so they have the time to create future content. When the playerbase progresses too quickly, they run out of things to do and move on. Which is what some people who've already hit 30 on Destiny have done.

Really? Something tells me you don't play many MMOs if you think that EVERY MMO uses this kind of RNG. The only time I've ever been this frustrated by an RNG system in an MMO was with shitty KMMOs.

The problem with Light dicating level is that level in this game is HUGE. The difference from 29 to 30 is astronomical in hard mode VoG, and it's based purely off of luck.

I assure you I've played quite a few. Mostly Western made as well. I honestly think that you're just not recognizing the intricacy's that make the perception different between Destiny and most MMO's.

I'd also point out that the difference between Legendary and Raid Legendary is basically this game's version of Tier. So Legendary is T1 and Raid is T2. This is pretty much confirmed by the design that you can not get to T2 level (30) without beating Hardmode at least once. In a standard MMO, you couldn't be fully top Tier geared without many more runs than most people have run for Destiny's HM.

gatti-man

That doesn't exactly extol the tendencies of the types of people who play MMOs. If you consider an average player who is willing to dedicate a reasonable amount of time across all the content complain about the loot structure the solution isn't to suggest they sink in another 100 hours and hope they get the loot they are asking for. There are two groups at the extreme: those who have no issue sinking in months of play time and those who want everything immediately in a week. This is game is absolutely not appealing to the audience who has been playing hotkey WoW or WoW-clone garbage for the last 8 years, the same way it isn't appealing to the linear, scripted corridor-shooter players.

My point is if you dont want to play then dont. Rng shouldnt cause someone to put a game down if its fun to play. Getting all the gear you want doesnt make the game fun its only exciting if you work for it. Complaining about rng to the point it makes you quit just says to me you dont enjoy the core game anymore or are burnt out.

I got shit on by rng my first 50 or so hours of play time but the game is good so i kept playing. I pkay the game to play the game. The rng tables are just that rng.

I don't care if you've played every MMO since the beginning of time. "They're just used to it" is absolutely right. I'm not exactly going to acquiesce. Because I don't view myself as anything other than Bungie's/Acti's target demographic, I won't accept arguments that require a certain type of player or a certain type of mentality going in. I'm taking and evaluating the game for what it is and as long as my issues maintain what the game intends to be rather than having it totally shift genres, those criticisms are valid.

My statement about having played MMO's was in response to this aspect of your post.

This is game is absolutely not appealing to the audience who has been playing hotkey WoW or WoW-clone garbage for the last 8 years, the same way it isn't appealing to the linear, scripted corridor-shooter players.

I'm in that category is all I was saying there. And you're right in that your response is your response coming from your perspective as Bungie's target demo. However that doesn't mean that your response is accurate if you claim that it's broken. It's not broken. You just don't like it. It's fine not to like it. It's inaccurate to say it's broken.

hydruxo

Tried the heroic raid earlier at level 28....lol not doing that again. 3 of us were 29, other 3 were 28. We kept wiping at the Templar confluxes. I need to upgrade these raid gloves and get to 29 so I can try it again.

Am_I_Evil

if anyone needs one for normal raid, any point in the raid, i'm available to jump in...been through a few times but the last time i beat it the group was great and we ran through really quickly...

PS4 - Am_I_Evil

hydruxo

Oh and I got a pretty awesome reward for getting to Vanguard Rank 4. Guess what it was guys...just guess

one fucking Ascendent Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom