• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Ice Breaker is the best snipe in the game... no mistake here.

+- 1 ammo each 2 or 3 seconds.

That's crazy. The image above just says it can return ammo if you miss. Do people just purposely miss every so often then to get ammo back or how does it work exactly?

1. It dropped in my lap after.... two weeks. I didn't play the shit out of the game looking for it, because it wasn't possible to do so. There was no concrete way to pursue it. I had two Primary weapon engrams saved up (which I wasn't doing for any reasons related remotely to getting Hawkmoon). One became motes of light, one became Hawkmoon. I got the luckiest I have ever... ever been in a videogame by far and got the exact gun I wanted on a whim. That's it. Luck. I don't feel remotely like I accomplished anything special by obtaining it, despite my exuberant joy at having it. I thought I would be playing for many months before seeing a whiff of it, because that's how RNG usually treats me.
  2. Xur presumably cannot stock Hawkmoon because it's PS4 exclusive.
  3. As a primary weapon, it would cost 23 coins rather than 17
  4. Yes, I would, fact, merely be happy that people with the coins saved up could obtain the gun they had yearned for. It would affect my experience exactly not at all, just as it has not upset me that other people have obtained Hawkmoon (or even multiple copies) from PvP, in the raid, from Nightfalls, etc. It did upset me when one dude told me he dismantled his though -_-
We just have very different approaches to what makes the game enjoyable. That's fine, but Xur isn't going to stop selling big ticket items, so this isn't going to stop upsetting you unless you adapt.

I understand.

Listen, I'm not heartbroken. But just upset.

Exotics are not exotic in this game. But there were a few reserved that were still "hard to get."

Thats what makes the game fun for me. Playing Nightfalls and Raids and Weekly/Tiger Strikes to try and get some of those rarest of the rare exotics.

And then here Xur just goes and sells all of them. So it just feels like it takes some of their luster away.

At the end of the day this game will be all about Raid weapons/gear, so it shouldn't bother me that much about all this Exotic hooplah. I will probably have Gjallarhorn equipped more often than the Icebreaker anyways.

hydruxo

I bought the Ice Breaker. It feels good to own. I know I have said a lot about The Last Word but I miss it when the Ice Breaker is equipped.

Also, I wonder why they lowerd the price of the weapon this week from 23 to 17 for one of the best weapons in the game.

Secondaries and heavy weapons are 17. Primary are 23.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Re: Complaints about people being "gifted" the Ice Breaker (and other exotics) instead of earning it.

I think the main aspect of the argument you guys are presenting that confuses me is; why does bettering someone else's enjoyment of the game lessen it for you? The argument could be made for the Suros as it would affect PvP a lot more than the Ice Breaker will, yet, you still had/have the same opportunity to get it as everyone else.

The fact that some people bought these exotics does not, in any way, cheapen the weapon for anyone. I've passed on every single exotic weapon Xur was selling just so I could buy this. I wanted the suros. I wanted the gjallarhorn. I wanted the red death. I wanted other exotic armors. Yet I passed time and time again for this.

People say "well you didn't earn it, you just bought it." Ok, how did you earn it? Did you kill a level 6 dreg on the moon and get a lucky drop? Maybe. Did you afk a PvP match and got a lucky reward afterwards as a result? Possibly. Did you beat something very challenging like a nightfall strike or a raid? Also a possibility. Ok. What about the other guys who have done the exact same thing as you 100x over? Guys who have spent 100+ hours, run 75+ strikes, played countless PvP matches, completed every nightfall strike, finished the raid multiple times... run heroic strikes and created alts to run more so they could save up enough coins for this weapon. Is that not in any way the same or better than some of the ways you "earned" your weapon?

Let's be real. This is a loot game. Some people get lucky, others don't. Just because you got lucky doesn't mean everyone else should have to "suffer" through the slog of grinding until, they too, get lucky. I can somewhat understand your point if you consider someone who's just picked up the game and after a week has the coins to buy this when you had to wait a month to get a lucky drop. But at the end of the day, how does it affect you really? I got the raid AR and scout after my first raid run... so at first, I can see why to some it may make those weapons feel "cheaper" to me if they were for sale all the sudden. But, they're still not gifted to you, and I also have NO IDEA what the people buying those weapons have gone through just to hope they get a lucky drop like you or I did. In this case, I'm the one who got lucky with my raid gear. The other guy may have worked a hell of a lot harder than I did to get the raid weapons I already have.

In terms of exclusivity; you still have the raid weapons and armor you can get nowhere else but the raid. My guess is this trend will continue in future raids. So, what you're looking for is present in the game. I just don't see how you getting a lucky drop a week after the game launched, possibly from afk'ing a pvp match, seems to be a more justifiable method than someone who's played the game for countless hours grinding, hoping for that same luck who then has to result to buying it with coins they've saved since day 1 because they never found it.

I spent all morning running around with the ice breaker and am loving every second of it. It won't make me play less. It won't make me enjoy the game less. It won't ruin the loot drop anticipation or anything else for me. It's making me enjoy a game I already enjoy even more. I don't have to slog through a bunch of grind-y scenarios hoping I one day get lucky like you did. Turning in 100's of blues and 50+ purples and never getting what I'm looking for sucks. I've earned this. Same as you.

I'm sorry, although I have used Xur like everyone else, I will readily admit that he is actually hurting the game more than helping. It's not about anyone earning it. It's about making top of the line loot so easy to get. If you give everyone the best primary, special and heavy weapons, then what's the point of being a loot game? Out of all the things Bungie did wrong with Destiny, I think this is one that will have the longest impact on the player base. If you want to make a loot game, and have such limited loot, then Xur can't exist.

CRA5H

So that's some overwhelming support for receiving 12 asc shards. My buddy was like "oh damn that's all you got?" Kinda felt crappy at the time but the destiny-gaf has made me smile again.

LiK

Not gonna lie, I get major glee whenever I Hulk Smash a Bladedancer or Gold gunner coming after me.

You wanted to kill me? BOOM, denied. Haha

Futaba

I'm sorry, although I have used Xur like everyone else, I will readily admit that he is actually hurting the game more than helping. It's not about anyone earning it. It's about making top of the line loot so easy to get. If you give everyone the best primary, special and heavy weapons, then what's the point of being a loot game? Out of all the things Bungie did wrong with Destiny, I think this is one that will have the longest impact on the player base. If you want to make a loot game, and have such limited loot, then Xur can't exist.

This works on the assumption that they will remain the best, or that in future better weapons will not appear

Sykane

Anyone looking to do the Nightfall or Level 28 weekly strike? Let me know, I need a few more coins! I play on PS4 (27 Warlock) and my PSN name is Wmc342, go ahead and add me. Thanks

Homeboyd

That's crazy. The image above just says it can return ammo if you miss. Do people just purposely miss every so often then to get ammo back or how does it work exactly?
No that perk is in addition to regen ammo. It is ALWAYS regenerating ammo (assuming you've fired at least one shot), back up to 6 rounds. If you miss a shot, it has the chance of IMMEDIATELY returning that show back in the mag rather than waiting a couple of seconds like you normally would.

Ok, but you do understand they're not giving anyone anything right?

tmac456

i'll be honest, i'm a bit salty that Xur is selling the Ice Breaker. the one time RNG has blessed me was with the Ice Breaker from a legendary engram.

now pretty much everyone is going to have one. sigh.

moving on, what else is Xur selling? any primary weapon(s)?

Yaari

Well, I for one am happy that I can get some cool shit aswell while the rest of the playerbase seems to be glitching the shit out of Atheon.

I've found a good 20 Legendary Engrams and only one of them turned Exotic. The odds of ever finding that weapon you want, without an option to trade, are ridiculously low.

Not to mention that the hunt for these items is pretty much all there is to do at high level, I am very happy that they included Xur.

Fitts

I was thinking about buying another helmet engram from Xur. However, I've purchased 3 so far and every one has been the same helmet that he was selling outright for the weekend.

Has anyone gotten a piece of gear from his engrams that he wasn't selling?

Re: Complaints about people being "gifted" the Ice Breaker (and other exotics) instead of earning it.

I think the main aspect of the argument you guys are presenting that confuses me is; why does bettering someone else's enjoyment of the game lessen it for you? The argument could be made for the Suros as it would affect PvP a lot more than the Ice Breaker will, yet, you still had/have the same opportunity to get it as everyone else.

The fact that some people bought these exotics does not, in any way, cheapen the weapon for anyone. I've passed on every single exotic weapon Xur was selling just so I could buy this. I wanted the suros. I wanted the gjallarhorn. I wanted the red death. I wanted other exotic armors. Yet I passed time and time again for this.

People say "well you didn't earn it, you just bought it." Ok, how did you earn it? Did you kill a level 6 dreg on the moon and get a lucky drop? Maybe. Did you afk a PvP match and got a lucky reward afterwards as a result? Possibly. Did you beat something very challenging like a nightfall strike or a raid? Also a possibility. Ok. What about the other guys who have done the exact same thing as you 100x over? Guys who have spent 100+ hours, run 75+ strikes, played countless PvP matches, completed every nightfall strike, finished the raid multiple times... run heroic strikes and created alts to run more so they could save up enough coins for this weapon. Is that not in any way the same or better than some of the ways you "earned" your weapon?

Let's be real. This is a loot game. Some people get lucky, others don't. Just because you got lucky doesn't mean everyone else should have to "suffer" through the slog of grinding until, they too, get lucky. I can somewhat understand your point if you consider someone who's just picked up the game and after a week has the coins to buy this when you had to wait a month to get a lucky drop. But at the end of the day, how does it affect you really? I got the raid AR and scout after my first raid run... so at first, I can see why to some it may make those weapons feel "cheaper" to me if they were for sale all the sudden. But, they're still not gifted to you, and I also have NO IDEA what the people buying those weapons have gone through just to hope they get a lucky drop like you or I did. In this case, I'm the one who got lucky with my raid gear. The other guy may have worked a hell of a lot harder than I did to get the raid weapons I already have.

In terms of exclusivity; you still have the raid weapons and armor you can get nowhere else but the raid. My guess is this trend will continue in future raids. So, what you're looking for is present in the game. I just don't see how you getting a lucky drop a week after the game launched, possibly from afk'ing a pvp match, seems to be a more justifiable method than someone who's played the game for countless hours grinding, hoping for that same luck who then has to result to buying it with coins they've saved since day 1 because they never found it.

I spent all morning running around with the ice breaker and am loving every second of it. It won't make me play less. It won't make me enjoy the game less. It won't ruin the loot drop anticipation or anything else for me. It's making me enjoy a game I already enjoy even more. I don't have to slog through a bunch of grind-y scenarios hoping I one day get lucky like you did. Turning in 100's of blues and 50+ purples and never getting what I'm looking for sucks. I've earned this. Same as you.

Yup, agreed. Those 17 strange coins didn't magically appear. One has to go out and take down harder content multiple times to get there.

E92 M3

So that's some overwhelming support for receiving 12 asc shards. My buddy was like "oh damn that's all you got?" Kinda felt crappy at the time but the destiny-gaf has made me smile again.

Smile angel - keep smiling.

Btw guys, a fully upgraded G-horn is so much fun to use. I stopped being cheap and upgraded it. Thing is a beast; I'd want a refund if Bungie nerfed it lol.

LiK

I was thinking about buying another helmet engram from Xur. However, I've purchased 3 so far and every one has been the same helmet that he was selling outright for the weekend.

Has anyone gotten a piece of gear from his engrams that he wasn't selling?

I got Skullfort from his Engram. Love it.

People are always impressed when they see the helm when I'm holding the banner in PVP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
not everyone considers strange coins easy to get. they're not giving people anything.

Xur is necessary to give the average player even a remote chance of obtaining an exotic they specifically want without relying 100% on random luck of the draw. they idea that mere randomness is, in this case, superior when it's all anyone rails on about sunday-thursday is making my head spin. Furthermore, it's not like his inventory ensures access in any significant way. Just look at all the people getting fucking pissed about Sunbreakers, or more anecdotally the fact that he didn't really have anything I personally want either last weekend or this one.

exotics are not merely the best weapons in every category because you can only equip one at a time. getting exotic weaponry is important to endgame and being able to work on builds. the fact that one concrete source of them in a non-random fashion exists is not hurting the game and is actually a pretty crucial aspect of it.

ethomaz

Banned
It have both abilities...

- Chance to return ammo if you miss
- Regenerate ammo each 2-3 seconds

The sad part it have only ~8 shots before needs to take a few seconds break... 15 seconds is enough to fulfill it again :D

It is the most close to infinite ammo you have in the game.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This works on the assumption that they will remain the best, or that in future better weapons will not appear

Who knows what the future will bring? Or when? I'm sure better guns will eventually come but that doesn't change the fact that, right now, Bungie is basically giving away the best weapons which makes no sense when you are trying to make a loot game.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
No way, wish I got that instead of another purple scout rifle.

I got that too :(

Does anyone actually use purple scout rifles or pulse rifles? I have a purple pulse rifle I use sometimes, but I feel like I do at least as well if not better with my blue level 20 Silvered Hushwind auto rifle (it's basically a shingen-e)

Maledict

I again ah - I got The Last Word for killing a level 4 Fallen Vandal on earth.

How on earth does that count as 'earning it' whilst farming 17+ coins from level 20+ activities doesn't?

Deku Tree

Ok. I got a Hex Caster ARC legendary AR this week.

HexCasterARCnew.jpg

http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Hex_Caster_ARC

What does the SUROS have that my Hex Caster doesn't?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Essentially until you get the vex. Though, we'll see how the next weapon balance changes everything.

Wishlist: buff pulse/scout rifle crits. Increase PvE shotgun range and damage. ~fin

YESSS. Got what I was hoping for from the exotic helm engram: An Insurmountable Skullfort! It's like a rave on my face! ily Rahool <3
definitely feeling the too-common/easy-exotic burnout now

And, huh, it's affected by shaders? I didn't know exotics could be. None of my other exotics are.

I feel so blessed... This is what I got from Xur's engram

BzlE0qHIYAAt0Je.jpg:large

I also got the Ice Breaker so I wanted to switch from Sunsinger to Voidwalker anyway, so I needed an exotic to replace my Sunbreakers... This works out perfectly.
I want this so badly.

Noooooo! Now everyone will have an ice breaker. Mine isn't so special anymore.
But you'll still have that special story of how it randomly dropped for you!!

Who knows what the future will bring? Or when? I'm sure better guns will eventually come but that doesn't change the fact that, right now, Bungie is basically giving away the best weapons which makes no sense when you are trying to make a loot game.

How are they giving it away? I understand that most people on this thread play the game enough to where 17 strange coins doesn't sound like much.

However, hopefully you realize that we are not the norm when it comes to Destiny. Most people probably don't have more than 2 or 3 strange coins and are saying "how the hell will I ever afford anything from Xur?" I know that was me for a few weeks before "the addiction."

More than that, a majority of those that play this game don't even know who Xur is.

So, I appreciate that you think Bungie is making it "too easy," but that's just not the reality for an overwhelming majority of Destiny players.

Fitts

I got Skullfort from his Engram. Love it.

People are always impressed when they see the helm when I'm holding the banner in PVP.

Awesome! That's exactly what I want -- even if I'll rarely use it. I would just like to collect em all. :)

ethomaz

Banned
Just got my first exotic weapon bounty. Question: If I have the suros are all other exotic primaries dead to me?
I would prefer to use a Legendary Auto Scout Rifle instead Suros (do the same) and have the Ice Breaker or the Exotic Rocket Launcher for PVE.

Are they really "giving" it away? I've been playing since launch, and I barely had enough coins today, and I haven't bought any exotics from Xur previously. I don't think the majority of players will have one now, and even if they did, it can only help everyone for PvE and strikes. If it ruined the crucible or something I could understand people being upset, but I think it's cool that there's ways to acquire these exotics outside of raids, nightfalls, and random drops.

hydruxo

I think I'm gonna buy a Shadow Price when I hit 150 marks. I'll still use my Suros but Ice Breaker will be getting a ton of use so I need a purple AR.

On another note, fully upgraded Devil You Know is sooo good. Dat crowd control perk.

Good morning! Picked up Ice Breaker and it is very nice and easy to use - the daily mission is a great place to test out it's range. I picked up the exotic Warlock chest piece and got the Light Beyond Nemesis helm from the engram. And I levelled Rahool and got Hawkmoon from the postmaster!

Now it is time to really start levelling all this gear. I don't know how good the helm will be, but it is nice that I don't have to worry about beating Atheon on hard in order to potentially reach level 30 (though I still want to give this a shot). The only downside is that changing up my gear means that I am once again level 28. I am also hopeful that once Bungie introduces higher levels they will allow us to start wearing and/or equipping multiple exotics.

Is Xur selling an exotic primary this week? If not, looks like my 34 strange coins won't be put to use :/

No - it is the sniper rifle - Ice Breaker

Daemul

For any new weapons to be better than than the current top of line exotics they would have to be more powerful than the Vex Mythoclast, Ice Breaker and GH......

Unless Bungie want us to be one shotting level 30 bosses it ain't happening.

Deku Tree

This crazy stat called impact

Wow. That's a lot of impact.

Don't know about your hex caster. But suros is boring.
My primary now is shadow price with ice breaker as the exotic slot.

Your shadow price has good impact too. But it has a small magazine.

My Hex Caster can hold over 700 rounds and it has 66 in each clip.

I wonder if there is any way to compare the stats if all these AR's after they are fully upgraded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom