• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fee

I got that too :(

Does anyone actually use purple scout rifles or pulse rifles? I have a purple pulse rifle I use sometimes, but I feel like I do at least as well if not better with my blue level 20 Silvered Hushwind auto rifle (it's basically a shingen-e)

For high end PvE scout is easily the best primary weapon for most situations. Auto has its place as well, but pulse and hand cannon need to be reworked somehow.

Can we please stop using Destiny GAF as the bench mark for how easy all this high level content is to get and how common exotics are? This is not the norm, so stop trying to use it as an excuse for why you are pissy about the Xur Icebreaker. Use the actual statistics.

(Based on PS4 Trophies)
Less than 22% own a single piece of exotic gear, so players with the Icebreaker or other high level weapons are only going to be a fraction of that.

Of that lucky 22%, less than 4% of players have ever fully leveled a single exotic item.

Less than 4% of players have ever fully leveled a legendary

And for a more general sense of the average player, less than 10% of players have finished leveling a single subclass.

GAF is Destiny Bizarro-world where people are complaining about sitting on 49 ass shards and getting the same exotic bounties over and over where most people will probably have no idea what the fuck an ascendant shard is, or ever get an exotic bounty let alone complete one.

WITHE1982

Ok. I got a Hex Caster ARC legendary AR this week.

http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Hex_Caster_ARC

What does the SUROS have that my Hex Caster doesn't?

The Hex isn't too bad fully upgraded. It kicks like a mule until you unlock the stability upgrade (which it desperately needs) and then it can be a very worthwhile primary. Mine keeps the radar active while ADS which has saved my ass a few times.

Due to lack of impact it does sometimes feel like your emptying clips into enemies with little damage but I've used it just fine for Nightfall, Level 28 strikes and level 24 playlist without needing anything better.

If you do have the SUROS already though I'd just stick with that and get the ass energy from the hex.

Wow. That's a lot of impact.

Your shadow price has good impact too. But it has a small magazine.

My Hex Caster can hold over 700 rounds and it has 66 in each clip.

I wonder if there is any way to compare the stats if all these AR's after they are fully upgraded?

Shadow Price has a perk that puts the clip capacity up to 42 and I think there's another perk that lets me hold over 500 rounds. That may be armor related though, can't remember off the top of my head. Also, the gun has a perk for fast reload when clip is empty. Shadow Price is a beast.

Homeboyd

Shadow Price has a perk that puts the clip capacity up to 42 and I think there's another perk that lets me hold over 500 rounds. That may be armor related though, can't remember off the top of my head. Also, the gun has a perk for fast reload when clip is empty. Shadow Price is a beast.
Atheon's Epilogue lets you hold 84 in the clip (or 70 with a stability perk, which is worth it) and 999 in reserve. With void damage.

It's actually TOO good. :)

Camwi

How are they giving it away? I understand that most people on this thread play the game enough to where 17 strange coins doesn't sound like much.

However, hopefully you realize that we are not the norm when it comes to Destiny. Most people probably don't have more than 2 or 3 strange coins and are saying "how the hell will I ever afford anything from Xur?" I know that was me for a few weeks before "the addiction."

More than that, a majority of those that play this game don't even know who Xur is.

So, I appreciate that you think Bungie is making it "too easy," but that's just not the reality for an overwhelming majority of Destiny players.

Even before today's Ice Breaker, I was able to solo the past few Nightfalls, and I know that has become fairly common in this thread. Yet I still have only seen maybe two people in the Tower with fire around their heads.

This thread is full of really hardcore players that are absolutely not the majority of Destiny players.

E92 M3

Thanks for all the icebreaker replies. Bought! And at 17 coins I'm feeling happy.

Couldn't have gotten a better bargain.

Can we please stop using Destiny GAF as the bench mark for how easy all this high level content is to get and how common exotics are? This is not the norm, so stop trying to use it as an excuse for why you are pissy about the Xur Icebreaker. Use the actual statistics.

(Based on PS4 Trophies)
Less than 22% own a single piece of exotic gear, so players with the Icebreaker or other high level weapons are only going to be a fraction of that.

Of that lucky 22%, less than 4% of players have ever fully leveled a single exotic item.

And for a more general sense of the average player, less than 10% of players have finished leveling a single subclass.

GAF is Destiny Bizarro-world where people are complaining about sitting on 49 ass shards and getting the same exotic bounties over and over where most people will probably have no idea what the fuck an ascendant shard is, or ever get an exotic bounty let alone complete one.

Well, I do sometimes get jaded and forget that GAF is an outlier when it comes to Destiny item acquisition.

(Based on PS4 Trophies)

People on a gaming forum are hardcore gamers and are in a minority of total game player population.

Shocking.

Sullichin

Who knows what the future will bring? Or when? I'm sure better guns will eventually come but that doesn't change the fact that, right now, Bungie is basically giving away the best weapons which makes no sense when you are trying to make a loot game.

He's not giving shit away.
I play this game a *lot*, but if you're not focusing on the hardest weekly/nightfall/tiger strikes you're not rolling in coins. I never am. Most people that play the game aren't.

Fee

(Based on PS4 Trophies)

This assumes every person who bought destiny has continued to play it, some people buy games play them for a hour and never touch them again. I have been using gamefly for a long time and I try and play every game I can, there are plenty of games where I only get a trophy or two before sending them back.

People on a gaming forum are hardcore gamers and are in a minority of total game player population.

Shocking.

Yet you continue to want to fabricate a reality where some how you are being shit on by the fact Xur is selling a great weapon this week, that will almost certainty not alter your enjoyment of this game in any meaningful way if others indulge. Shocking.

Flo_Evans

mlX9xuc.jpg

I am so sorry...

yikes!

Is that from a hard + normal clear?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
not everyone considers strange coins easy to get. they're not giving people anything.

Xur is necessary to give the average player even a remote chance of obtaining an exotic they specifically want without relying 100% on random luck of the draw. they idea that mere randomness is, in this case, superior when it's all anyone rails on about sunday-thursday is making my head spin. Furthermore, it's not like his inventory ensures access in any significant way. Just look at all the people getting fucking pissed about Sunbreakers, or more anecdotally the fact that he didn't really have anything I personally want either last weekend or this one.

exotics are not merely the best weapons in every category because you can only equip one at a time. getting exotic weaponry is important to endgame and being able to work on builds. the fact that one concrete source of them in a non-random fashion exists is not hurting the game and is actually a pretty crucial aspect of it.

Sure, you need strange coins, but those are not hard to get, especially since all the NFs have been exploitable. And yes I readily realize that many people probably don't have 17 strange coins and don't even complete nightfall. I will also say that those folks won't be part of the group who plays the game 4 months from now.

I don't understand how Xur is crucial to anything end-game wise. Exotics aren't needed to finish any content.

Many of the complaints about Xur are the same I heard about the stupid auction house in Diablo 3. And many of the defenses to Xur are the same I heard about the defenses to the auction house. "It removes RNG", "It helps the average player gear up", "Don't use it if you dont' want to", "How does it hurt your enjoyment of the game if I buy my weapon from the AH?", "Items aren't free, you still need to farm the gold!" etc etc. Blizzard was wise enough to realize that making it so easy to get top gear destroys the purpose of a loot game. Here, Xur isn't as bad as D3's AH, but it is effectively doing the same thing by offering up the top weapons.

I've played so many loot games over the years, and I've seen systems that work and those that don't work. There are many aspects of Destiny's that don't work, or at least are counter productive to the long term viability of the game for many folks. Again, for some folks, it's great, and I've bought a Suros from Xur (only to have it drop for me 2 days later), so I understand the appeal, but I secretly hope Xur goes away.

Or, at least, Bungie introduces new weapons. I'd be okay with Xur if he didn't sell the top tier weapons (too late now, so new weapons are needed). Let's say there are 3 levels of exotics - good, great, and extremely fucking good. It's okay to sell the Good/great but leave the extremely fucking good to chance. Interestingly, I think Bungie may have tried to do this, as I believe Xur isn't capable of selling all exotics (e.g., he'll never sell the Last Word). But what he does sell, though, tends to be the best stuff anyway.

hydruxo

I was kinda surprised to see that Ice Breaker regens even when you're using a primary or heavy. That makes it even better. They could have easily just made it so it only regens when you have it out.

Shito

I'm sorry, although I have used Xur like everyone else, I will readily admit that he is actually hurting the game more than helping. It's not about anyone earning it. It's about making top of the line loot so easy to get. If you give everyone the best primary, special and heavy weapons, then what's the point of being a loot game? Out of all the things Bungie did wrong with Destiny, I think this is one that will have the longest impact on the player base. If you want to make a loot game, and have such limited loot, then Xur can't exist.
Destiny is NOT a loot game. This is the biggest misconception and Bungie's mistake for not having it clear enough in the actual game. Destiny is a game with random loot in it, but once you hit 20 this loot is only complementary to the vendors.
This is not Diablo nor Borderlands. Stop expecting it to play like a loot game when it's trying to be something else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

(Based on PS4 Trophies)

well there you go. Thank you for posting the relevant statistics.

for many players, xur is not only not "giving things away," his inventory represents a bevy of treasures that "I can't wait to afford one day."

I've been trying to avoid framing it in these terms for the most part, but saying that these items that are being given away is actually a little insensitive to players I have spoken to that don't yet have a single character above level 24 :/

Atheon's Epilogue lets you hold 84 in the clip (or 70 with a stability perk, which is worth it) and 999 in reserve. With void damage.

It's actually TOO good. :)

Haha, yeah yeah, I know... it's the one of two weapons in the game I am still really pining for. The other being an exotic or legendary hand cannon.

Way to rain on my Shadow Price parade, lol

catspit

I can agree that sometimes people forget in here that the majority of people who play this game might have never been to a 28 nightfall strike.. There are tons of players who today.. Just can't afford to buy any items from xur.

Who knows what the future will bring? Or when? I'm sure better guns will eventually come but that doesn't change the fact that, right now, Bungie is basically giving away the best weapons which makes no sense when you are trying to make a loot game.
Earning loot like coins to purchase something that is unique should never be frowned upon, you're taking the wrong approach to this game. I'd rather there be more opportunities to either purchase or exchange goods for items (not necessarily exotic) that you'd normally have to rely on RNG to bequeath to you. I have a shitload of Hadronic Essence in my inventory that is mostly worthless, it would be nice if I could exchange large quantities for something else relevant to the game.

So if I grab an exotic helmet engram from Xur, is there a chance it turns into armor for a different class?
Yes. It's a gamble.

Yet you continue to want to fabricate a reality where some how you are being shit on by the fact Xur is selling a great weapon this week, that will almost certainty not alter your enjoyment of this game in any meaningful way. Shocking.

You sound angry.

You continue to post statistics on the entire player base of Destiny. I'm not concerned with those numbers. This is a gaming website for people who play the game A LOT.

Anyways, I think we are over this discussion. Different strokes for different folks. I'm done debating it.

The only problem with Atheon's Epilogue is that i had to disable vibration after 2 days of leveling it, i was getting quite painful hands from the consistant and strong vibration. TBH i don't miss the vibration.

Strider

(Based on PS4 Trophies)

This is a solid argument and I agree with youto a certain extent however... Let's not forget that the PSN trophies count every PSN user that has ever popped the game in even just one time. A lot of people gave up on the game early on and even sold their copy. Those are still factored in to the statistics you're looking at.

The active player base is what matters and I'd be willing to bet the percentages would go up a significant bit if we were only counting active players.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Destiny is NOT a loot game. This is the biggest misconception and Bungie's mistake for not having it clear enough in the actual game. Destiny is a game with random loot in it, but once you hit 20 this loot is only complementary to the vendors.
This is not Diablo nor Borderlands. Stop expecting it to play like a loot game when it's trying to be something else.

What's the difference between this and Diablo 3 then?

If there is a game where you complete the same content, every day, every week, over and over, just for the chance at getting better loot in order to do the same content, every day, every week, more effectively, then I consider that a loot game. What else is driving the player? Certainly not the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom