• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

EL CUCO

"Casual" checking in!
8KfbaV1.jpg

Shito

I think this is an important point. Grinding crucible/vanguard/whatever rep high enough to buy legendary weapons is an hours game. Play the RNG (strange coin acquisition) game for far less hours and you have a shot at weapons that are leagues better.
You have to be really lucky to score that many coins in so little time.
Or play for A LOT of time.
Proof is: people answering that it's not possible to fetch 15+ coins until Sunday if you have already done your weekly.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Been lurking in these OTs from the jump, but just getting around to posting. Thanks to everyone (esp. Hawkian) for the various info, it's helped a lot since I don't get to play much.

Question about Xur's wares this week:

I'm 1 light away from level 26, and a Titan. I have 15 strange coins. The helm seems like it'd benefit my game the more than the Ice Breaker, but i recognize the Ice Breaker is exceedingly rare. Am I better off getting the Helm of Inmost Light, or working at 2 more coins and getting the Ice Breaker? Why?

Without question, get the ice breaker. If you dont' get it now, it could be months before you see it again. Or it could be next week :p You'll be able to get a piece of exotic gear for your titan next week guaranteed.

Been lurking in these OTs from the jump, but just getting around to posting. Thanks to everyone (esp. Hawkian) for the various info, it's helped a lot since I don't get to play much.

I'm 1 light away from level 26, and a Titan. I have 15 strange coins. The helm seems like it'd benefit my game the more than the Ice Breaker, but i recognize the Ice Breaker is exceedingly rare. Am I better off getting the Helm of Inmost Light, or working at 2 more coins and getting the Ice Breaker? Why?

Thats completely up to you. The Icebreaker is a great gun, do you already have a good sniper that you like?

Xur has repeated items. So the icebreaker and the helmet will probably both be back at some point in the next few weeks.

No Praxic Fire: 'Cries'

Helmet Engram for third fing week in a row: 'Rages'

Icebreaker:......sprouts boner

It's not the fappening I was hoping for today but a stranger will do. I'm buying the shiz out of this when I get home! I've coveted this ever since a RL friend got it as a drop within the first week or two of playing. Snipers are my favorite secondary, woooooooooo! Still pretty bummed that I couldn't get my chest but at least I won't have any issues killing anything betweed Confluence, PI, and Icebreaker :D Now I just need to get Gajallahorn and I'll be set on weapons though I'll obviously hope for Mythoclast when I start doing Hard Raids.

Deku Tree

You have to be really lucky to score that many coins in so little time.
Or play for A LOT of time.
Proof is: people answering that it's not possible to fetch 15+ coins until Sunday if you have already done your weekly.

You can get that many coins in one day if you and outrageous number of tiger strikes over and over again... Unless you get extremely unlucky. And it might get boring...

I would get the Icebreaker. The helm seems much more common. And even though Xur has had a titan helm for two weeks in a row, I am sure it will come back soon. IB? probably not

You could always roll the dice on the engram and get both :)

Will definitely snag the Ice Breaker then given the constant ammo regen.. that's wild. I only have two purple weapons and one is a Hand Cannon and the other is a sniper I got from the Queen's missions. Sad to read all the people hating on the Bad Juju since I am working towards that from my Exotic Bounty.

That SUROS is insane. I have a level 19 Ningen-E that has very high stability and it's fantastic. I got a lvl 20 with higher base damage but the stability is so low (maybe 30%) that it's almost unusable IMO. Can't imagine all that damage with that high of stability!
You bastard! What is it?

Flambe

Alright so I got Ice Breaker of course, but are either of those 2 chests amazing for their respective classes? Am Titan but was thinking for my alts down the road.

Also 28 Titan lfg raid, psn MrThou =]

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sure, you need strange coins, but those are not hard to get, especially since all the NFs have been exploitable. And yes I readily realize that many people probably don't have 17 strange coins and don't even complete nightfall. I will also say that those folks won't be part of the group who plays the game 4 months from now.
Nightfalls don't even guarantee you strange coins :-/ I assume you mean the heroic weeklies... the one that gets you 9 is level 28. Yes, I have gotten many 26s and even 3 level 25s through them. You are welcome to tell me that this was meaninglessly easy but that was not my experience.

It's also a horrible idea to make assumptions like the one you did in that last sentence. There are many types of gamers.
I don't understand how Xur is crucial to anything end-game wise. Exotics aren't needed to finish any content.
It's okay that you don't understand, just accept that all that means is that you don't understand.

I should have been more specific, the ability to "finish all the content" is certainly not what I was referring to. To use an extreme analogy, it's possible to complete Dark Souls without any armor and only a club. Does this indicate that armor and weapons are not crucial to end-game in Dark Souls?

Without raid gear an Exotic armor piece absolutely is necessary to get to level 29. Possibly 28, I don't know off the top of my head. Either way, I wasn't referring to the mere ability to complete content but your ultimate effectiveness as a character. Creating builds themed around your choice of exotics absolutely is a big part of endgame in Destiny and in fact the most compelling aspect of its endgame for me at the moment, even though I haven't yet completed the Hard mode raid.
Many of the complaints about Xur are the same I heard about the stupid auction house in Diablo 3. And many of the defenses to Xur are the same I heard about the defenses to the auction house. "It removes RNG", "It helps the average player gear up", "Don't use it if you dont' want to", "How does it hurt your enjoyment of the game if I buy my weapon from the AH?", "Items aren't free, you still need to farm the gold!" etc etc. Blizzard was wise enough to realize that making it so easy to get top gear destroys the purpose of a loot game. Here, Xur isn't as bad as D3's AH, but it is effectively doing the same thing by offering up the top weapons.
PLEASE. Holy shit. The auction house in D3 at launch, upon my testing out how it worked, immediately replaced every single fucking piece of gear in my equipped inventory with outright superior versions, some more than twice as good in the slots they replaced. I walked into a room I had died in moments earlier with the new gear and obliterated everything in seconds. I did not go out of my way to obtain any gold; I simply used what I had acquired without thinking about it- wasn't really spending it on anything else- and still had about a third of my cash when I was done making the purchase. Not only that, but this analogy would only come close to being viable if only one weapon and armor piece purchased from the auction house could be equipped at a time.

Despite many aspects I did like, Diablo III's auction house at launch removed the entire gameplay hook from it for me and I quit before even beating it on normal. You know how I feel about Destiny in comparison.

I've played so many loot games over the years, and I've seen systems that work and those that don't work. There are many aspects of Destiny's that don't work, or at least are counter productive to the long term viability of the game for many folks. Again, for some folks, it's great, and I've bought a Suros from Xur (only to have it drop for me 2 days later), so I understand the appeal, but I secretly hope Xur goes away.
He won't. And there's not all that much comparable about Destiny's systems to many other games. I really mean it. It's deceptive but pretty damn different than almost anything I've ever played.

Or, at least, Bungie introduces new weapons. I'd be okay with Xur if he didn't sell the top tier weapons (too late now, so new weapons are needed). Let's say there are 3 levels of exotics - good, great, and extremely fucking good. It's okay to sell the Good/great but leave the extremely fucking good to chance. Interestingly, I think Bungie may have tried to do this, as I believe Xur isn't capable of selling all exotics (e.g., he'll never sell the Last Word). But what he does sell, though, tends to be the best stuff anyway.
Totally unnecessary and backwards to have exotic tiers when only one can be equipped at a time (which also won't go away).

What's the difference between this and Diablo 3 then?

If there is a game where you complete the same content, every day, every week, over and over, just for the chance at getting better loot in order to do the same content, every day, every week, more effectively, then I consider that a loot game. What else is driving the player? Certainly not the story.
I tried very explicitly to explain this in my final guide post. The idea of the "chance at better loot" is completely twisted if you try to apply it in the same way as it applies to Diablo. You don't get frequent, incremental upgrades that slightly improve your character vertically throughout the play experience in Destiny's endgame. If you're looking for that you're going to absolutely be frustrated. And I sympathize with people who are, because Bungie really did not communicate it explicitly. What else is driving the player?

For me, creating multiple badass builds centered around certain exotic combinations. My mind is bursting with ideas for these and out of them only about 25% are actually in my grasp and you better believe I'm hoping for Xur to help me out with them.

Currently I guess I have the "best" loot that I need. While I want to reach level 30, which requires raid gear, I'm not interested in doing the hard mode raid just yet. So for everything in the game I want to do right now, I have roughly "best-in-slot" gear. Exotics and legendaries. Guess what? There are still multiple exotics I want to be able to flesh out my builds. They won't be "better items," necessarily at all, but they'll make my character better.

Please. No one's butthurt and no one is calling people who didn't obtain great gear naturally peasants.

A. It's just a perplexing design choice to make the consensus best weapons in the game so easily attainable when inferior weapons(stuff from Vanguard & Crucible vendors, exotic bounties, etc..) take so much more effort to get.
(my emphasis added)

This is the exact assumption everyone keeps basing their argument on and it simply is not true. For high level GAF players, yes it is probably easy to get 17 SC. But you can't base your argument on how easy it is to get something when the numbers show otherwise. I wish there was a trophy for just talking to Xur once. I bet it would be staggeringly low. That would put this nonsense to bed.

Edit: Are we in the same thread? There are clearly people upset about Xur selling Icebreaker and how it lessens their enjoyment.

TP-DK

People have dissed the cryptarch so many times, but the real bitch is actually the gunsmith. If he doesnt start selling the rare fusion rifles soon, I'm gonna shove My exotic bounty up his arse.

Always exceptions to everything :) But in other similar games, there's a large population who stop playing completely after a certain point. I expect Destiny to be similar. If not, then more power to Bungie!

Btw, there's a spot on the last boss in the nightfall where you can kill the boss easily without dying. There are vids on youtube. Also, if you are on PS4, I'd be happy to run the Nightfall with you.

Care to run through it with me and a friend right now?

Add krelac22 and GODSFAVORITE

jett

D-Member
Alright so I got Ice Breaker of course, but are either of those 2 chests amazing for their respective classes? Am Titan but was thinking for my alts down the road.

Also 28 Titan lfg raid, psn MrThou =]

Voidfang Vestments increases the range of axion bolt grenades (which nobody cares about), but what it also makes you spawn with a grenade ready (any grenade type). Combine it with the Sunsinger's ability to carry two grenades and you will always re-spawn with two grenades.

It's interesting.

Navy Bean

People have dissed the cryptarch so many times, but the real bitch is actually the gunsmith. If he doesnt start selling the rare fusion rifles soon, I'm gonna shove My exotic bounty up his arse.

He's lucky he sells those synth packs or he would have gone out of business years ago.

Homeboyd

According to reddit:

"The gunsmith sells rare fusion rifles every three days at 11pm UTC"

Not sure when the last time he sold them was though.

E92 M3

For some reason, I habitually stuffed my vault with fusion rifles I have found, even though I have pocket infinity already lol.

Currently I guess I have the "best" loot that I need. While I want to reach level 30, which requires raid gear, I'm not interested in doing the hard mode raid just yet. So for everything in the game I want to do right now, I have roughly "best-in-slot" gear. Exotics and legendaries. Guess what? There are still multiple exotics I want to be able to flesh out my builds. They won't be "better items," necessarily at all, but they'll make my character better.

While I fear the idea of BiS gear going to the masses, this hits home for me.

All I can reflect back on is accumulating DKP, running MC/BWL/Ony week after week hoping to get a chance at alt spec gear, only to accumulate full BiS main/alt gear a few weeks before Naxx/expacks. I don't reflect fondly back on that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
(my emphasis added)

This is the exact assumption everyone keeps basing their argument on and it simply is not true. For high level GAF players, yes it is probably easy to get 17 SC. But you can't base your argument on how easy it is to get something when the numbers show otherwise. I wish there was a trophy for just talking to Xur once. I bet it would be staggeringly low. That would put this nonsense to bed.
If I was a lurker enjoying Destiny who wanted Ice Breaker and didn't have enough Strange Coins and/or the time or ability to obtain the rest I needed before 5:00AM EST Sunday, I think I'd be a little resentful of GAF these last few pages. Like, let's remember we're not all in the same position here, right?

I got the lord high fixer the other day and have only shot a few rounds with it, but it is a monster. Going to have to start leveling it soon.

Which one are you looking for?
Hawkmoon of course, but anything better than the rare I have would most likely be my go-to Primary.

niftybiscuitqoxxk.png

stb

Without question, get the ice breaker. If you dont' get it now, it could be months before you see it again. Or it could be next week :p You'll be able to get a piece of exotic gear for your titan next week guaranteed.

Thats completely up to you. The Icebreaker is a great gun, do you already have a good sniper that you like?

Xur has repeated items. So the icebreaker and the helmet will probably both be back at some point in the next few weeks.

I would get the Icebreaker. The helm seems much more common. And even though Xur has had a titan helm for two weeks in a row, I am sure it will come back soon. IB? probably not

You could always roll the dice on the engram and get both :)

I was leaning Ice Breaker anyway, and this seems like 3 votes reinforcing that. It makes sense that even if that specific helmet isn't available next week, SOME exotic titan armor will be (and I don't have any exotic armors). The IB seems like a bird in the hand, and will continue to be beneficial while I'm running late-game stuff.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom