• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: "Itagaki is done? Gamestop only has 420 copies of Devil Third for NA."

SalvaPot

Destructoid talks about how Itagaki's carrer might be over in AAA development.

Also another fun fact is that Gamestop only got 420 copies of Devil's Third in the whole region of the United States. Only 420, let that number sink for a minute.

His latest game, Devil's Third, is probably the greatest example of that combination to date. It starts with a hugely muscular shirtless Caucasian man, covered in Sanskrit tattoos, performing a virtuoso rock drum solo in the basement of Guantanamo Bay. It's a scene that would be right at home on WWE Smackdown or one of Canon's schlock-classic American Ninja films. Ten years ago, the video games industry was littered this kind of fun. These days, not so much.

I went to one Best Buy and three GameStop locations before I found a retail copy of Devil's Third for sale. Best Buy had none in stock for the entire district, and only three GameStop stores in the state had copies of Devil's Third available for customers who hand't placed a pre-order. GameStop also let me know that, as far as they could tell, their online store only had 420 copies of the game available for sale for the entire country. Unless demand picks up and Nintendo of America issues a reprint, Devil's Third may end up being one of the more rare games the publisher has ever released.

Also the game is sold out in Amazon and Best Buy and its really hard to find in stores, something I myself saw when trying to track down a copy on release day. It all points that this game is going to become a collectors item soon enough.

What does this mean for Itagaki? Is he going to get another chance? For now it seems he is only working on the Multiplayer-only version of the game to release on PC free-to-play.

For now I am happy I got my copy on the way from Amazon before it sold out, there is one more item for my collection I don't have to worry about.

Update: Now all mayor retailers have sold out on the game online. Check the stores or just go digital if you want to experience it.

Takao

Banned
Based on his Facebook posts, I sometimes wonder if Itagaki smokes weed everyday. This might be the confirmation I was looking for.

cj_iwakura

Of all the numbers, it had to be 420?

7EDlifI.gif

This is how Devil's Third will make it's money: Being an extreme example of Nintendo Artifical Scarcity. It's brilliant, brilliant I say!

That or it will just become the modern day Earthbound in terms of rarity.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Gonna be one of the rarest officially released games of all time, plus it's got a crazy history.

This thing is gonna go for like 500 bucks in a few years.

braves01

Banned
It weights 15 GB, no way I am getting it digital.

Also, so is Pikmin 3 and that game keeps on getting more expensive...

Yeah, but it's nice for people who want to just play the game somehow. It's the worst when something you want to play is a collector's item you can't experience without dropping hundreds.

Incidentally, Amazon, Best Buy, and EBGames all have DT in stock here in Canada so if you genuinely want the game or banking on it becoming a rare gem in a few years, that's a possibility.

What does this mean for Itagaki? Is he going to get another chance? For now it seems he is only working on the Multiplayer-only version of the game to release on PC free-to-play.

He's previously said that he's going to make mobile games. As far as future console games go, it'll probably just depend on how much publishers feel the development timeline affected the end product. It was going to be funded by THQ, then they went under which meant Valhalla was left searching for a new publisher. Plus they had to switch engines during that period as well. It was originally running on a THQ engine but switched to UE3 after they went under. So it certainly wasn't the smoothest development period. But does that explain all of the problems the game has?

Boke1879

Yup caught Warios twitter and how he was saying Nintendo was barely doing marketing for this. Glad I jumped in and bought on GameStop.com before they sold out.

Unless they do another print this game is going to be one of those that becomes super rare complete in box.

PaulBizkit

It weights 15 GB, no way I am getting it digital.

Also, so is Pikmin 3 and that game keeps on getting more expensive.

Why would anybody want to buy it digitally? The only reason there is to buy this game is because of how rare the physical version is.

It's not like Earthbound, which is rare and good. DT is only rare.

I'd buy as many copies as I can and leave them factory sealed.

420 copies in the entire US??

I have no interest in this game but I'm going to buy it just because I get the feeling it'll be valuable in a few years. Holy shit, I knew the print would be limited, but that is an entirely other level.

Persona7

Banned
wow, if that number is true then I am surprised that I managed to get one. My friend who ordered a copy from amazon got a email about it shipping next week due to a delay.

Kinyou

Hey, how many devs can say their game is sold out?

I do hope Itagaki finds his groove again. Devil's Third might have done better if it didn't basically come a console generation too late

Clearly a smart marketing tactic. Best way to sell a game nobody wants? Make it rare so the collectors rush out to get it. Then just print some more if demand is really there

Top Bottom