• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: "Itagaki is done? Gamestop only has 420 copies of Devil Third for NA."

213372bu

Banned
General Oates himself probably declared over a drunken voicemail to NoA that each retailer should only get 420 copies tbh.

T.E.D

Banned
Some people with no clue shit on Devil's Third's gameplay. More news at 11.

The game looks like it was thrown together in an hour by a 10 year old and put up on Steam Greenlight to be fair. I'm literally convinced Itagaki shat it out.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
It weights 15 GB, no way I am getting it digital.

Also, so is Pikmin 3 and that game keeps on getting more expensive.

Oddly enough, those are two games I've purchased day one digitally. (/internet speed brag)

Seriously, NOA is being pretty blatant about this one. Wish Itagaki/Valhalla Studios the best as the game is fun and stupid. I know I overpaid right now, but I can afford it.

Domaje

What is the secret hidden depth of Devil's Third then?
The multiplayer is awesome and pretty unique, thanks to the solid gameplay mechanics. Ask anyone that played more than 5-10 hours online.
Most reviewers played less than 10 hours online, and with very few people around, at least here in Italy.
T.E.D said:
The game looks like it was thrown together in an hour by a 10 year old and put up on Steam Greenlight to be fair
I repeat, people with no clue shit on Devil's Third's gameplay. More news at 11.

The multiplayer is awesome and pretty unique, thanks to the solid gameplay mechanics. Ask anyone that played more than 5-10 hours online.
Most reviewers played less than 10 hours online, and with very few people around, at least here in Italy.

you didn't answer what makes the gameplay solid or unique

tav7623

Was gonna pass on this game given it's poor reviews (not to mention I was kinda pissed it got a physical release when a better game, Fatal Frame 5, was relegated to a digital only release) and maybe pick up a physical copy down the road for like $5 (in case I hated it it wouldn't cost me too much and I could get rid of it quickly), but seeing as how they (Nintendo) apparently decided to only print less than 5000 or so copies for NA I guess I'll pick up a new copy before they become crazy expensive/hard to find.

mcrommert

Banned

Is this one of those "if you haven't played over 20 hours, you haven't seen destiny" things

Menome

Some people with no clue shit on Devil's Third's gameplay. More news at 11.

I've played and completed Deadly Premonition.

I've played and completed Dark Void.

I got the full 1000 Achievement points on X-Men: Destiny.

I've played and completed Chasm: The Rift, an FPS so blandly poor that nobody has heard of, that despite shipping with a level editor, there's no fan community to have even built a single level for it.

None of them were anywhere near as atrocious as I found Devil's Third when I played it when it came out over here in Europe.

I gave it a chance. Did the first two chapters, spent around two and a half hours on it (I think) but this is a shitpiece of a game. It's not "cult classic" bad, it's just bad.

Still not as bad as Fusion Frenzy 2, but I doubt anything ever will be.

TheMoon

He doesn't really need to because what makes it unique is self-evident and what makes it "solid" is implied in his answer being that the multiplayer is fun where the mechanics are given more breathing room.

That's fine and all but when you use the "People are just playing it wrong" argument, you have to actually back it up by say how to play it 'right'.

Take for example another divisive game- The Evil Within. Outside of it's jank there are some hidden depths to the game that you can approach a situation in many ways than just 'shoot the gun', hell the crossbow alone could be it's own game.

So how exactly are people playing the game wrong?

He doesn't really need to because what makes it unique is self-evident and what makes it "solid" is implied in his answer being that the multiplayer is fun where the mechanics are given more breathing room.

Humor us then- what makes the game unique and what are the hidden depths that people are playing wrong?

I don't particularly care for Itagaki as a game designer, but he's still earned a lifetime pass for this moment at Microsoft's now infamous original Kinect showcase alone:

cOiKX.jpg

Oxirane

I think the multiplayer is great.

If all NOA was going to do was send it out to die, I think they should have at least explored releasing the multiplayer component on the eShop for free or at a greatly reduced price.

I think the focus on Ivan and the singleplayer was detrimental to the game, as analysis of the multiplayer in many reviews was minimal.

Nah nah nah, people get ravaged for drive by shit posting all the time, the opposite should be true as well. If you state something explain your reasons.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's 420 for their online stock, not their store inventory.
Regardless, it's very limited.

Still in stock online btw.

T.E.D

Banned
The multiplayer is awesome and pretty unique, thanks to the solid gameplay mechanics. Ask anyone that played more than 5-10 hours online. Most reviewers played less than 10 hours online, and with very few people around, at least here in Italy.

I think the reason people aren't willing to put 10 hours into this is pretty self explanatory.

There's no way they only printed 420~ copies, that'd be such a waste of money to manufacture, and a waste if Gamestop only ordered 420~ copies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Highly doubt that, unless that's only in-store numbers. They only sent out 1 copy to most of their stores.

There's no way they only printed 420~ copies, that'd be such a waste of money to manufacture, and a waste if Gamestop only ordered 420~ copies.

It's online only.

Most retail stores did not get any copies at all, from what i've read.

Most got 1 copy.
You could see it quickly disappearing from the online stock locater.

Still a lot scattered around DFW as of a few hours ago.

NolbertoS

I'm interestd in this rare gem now. Might buy iy full price for shits and giggles and to support Itagaki's rockstar status. Itagaki should just stick with action games and make the next Ninja Gaiden 4 or Demon's Souls 2. His career is far from over even in AAA development.

Thoraxes

It's online only.
Most got 1 copy.

The 200 stores in my local area (Chicagoland area and all surrounding suburbs) did not get any copies at all, and I checked a lot. I even called about 20 of the stores before launch to ask about it too, and none of them mentioned getting any copies.

Even some of the closer stores in Indiana didn't get any.

Edit: Oh shit, shipments came in.

Domaje

Well, DT gamplay is really fast, you are rewarded if you slide and sprint around to dodge bullets, similar to Vanquish (but without cheap tricks like slow motion). Mobility is great, you can climb really high a la Assassins Creed to gain strategic advantages. The shooting mechanics are ok. The melee combat while simple at a first sight compared to something like Ninja Gaiden, is really skill based and functional (online lot's of moves that you could do in a single player game a la Devil May Cry just aren't useful). And most important the game blends seamlessly shooting mechanics, melee and parkour mechanics. No game has ever done this before.

I've played and completed Deadly Premonition.

I've played and completed Dark Void.

I got the full 1000 Achievement points on X-Men: Destiny.

I've played and completed Chasm: The Rift, an FPS so blandly poor that nobody has heard of, that despite shipping with a level editor, there's no fan community to have even built a single level for it.

None of them were anywhere near as atrocious as I found Devil's Third when I played it when it came out over here in Europe.

I gave it a chance. Did the first two chapters, spent around two and a half hours on it (I think) but this is a shitpiece of a game. It's not "cult classic" bad, it's just bad.

Still not as bad as Fusion Frenzy 2, but I doubt anything ever will be.
I'm talking about the multiplayer. I agree with you, Devil's Third single player is kinda bad.

Since when is GameStop ever reliable for anything other than the new CoD / Assassin's Creed / Madden? It's a niche violent Wii U only title. Even when Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge was new fairly soon after the Wii U launched, it was like the game didn't exist. I worked at Game then (equivalent of GameStop in the UK) and we got about 2 copies in in our store, and it was priced at £54.99. Insane.

The game is insanely fun, by the way. It's a mess, but there's nothing like it.

The story title is misleading. 420 copies on WiS does not indicate the total number the company ordered. Not to mention the display will only show +99 if its 100 or more so idk how that employee would know.

Kusagari

Since when is GameStop ever reliable for anything other than the new CoD / Assassin's Creed / Madden? It's a niche violent Wii U only title. Even when Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge was new fairly soon after the Wii U launched, it was like the game didn't exist. I worked at Game then (equivalent of GameStop in the UK) and we got about 2 copies in in our store, and it was priced at £54.99. Insane.

The game is insanely fun, by the way. It's a mess, but there's nothing like it.

Gamnestop in America is by far the most reliable place to find niche games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Ōkami;189085553 said:
Are you actually comparing Panzer Dragoon Saga to Devil's Third?

Come on man.

I mean there are Saturn games that are terrible and sold poorly.

And that means they are comparable under no terms? ok

SalvaPot

The story title is misleading. 420 copies on WiS does not indicate the total number the company ordered. Not to mention the display will only show +99 if its 100 or more so idk how that employee would know.

It did not fit on the title, the post on the OP mentions is for the online servers.

It's online only.

Most got 1 copy.

Still a lot scattered around DFW as of a few hours ago.

I think there were a lot of stores that did not get a copy outside of pre-orders. On Launch day I checked because my Amazon copy hadn't shipped and only 3 stores around me had a copy.

Haunted

To those saying it's going to be a collector's item, is it because of the developer's past pedigree?

Because there are plenty of shit games that never get a lot of retail copies, just going by the amount of units in circulation, they'd be considered as rare or more - but no one gives a shit because they're, well, shit shovelware.

Is it going to be a collector's item because of the developer's past pedigree?

There are plenty of shit games that never get a lot of retail copies, so just going by the amount of units in circulation, they'd be considered as rare or more - but no one gives a shit because they're, well, shit shovelware.

Sealed copies of Hello Kitty Kruizers go for upwards of $70. Scarcity creates demand.

b3b0p

If this is true, they are going to hoard them, take off the wrap, and sell them as used for noticeably more.

Top Bottom