• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: "Itagaki is done? Gamestop only has 420 copies of Devil Third for NA."

Oppo

this game kinda reminds me of when Lair came out. people just wanted it to be so good, so badly. but it was just a gigantic trainwreck of a game. like this one.

Lair at least had a good soundtrack. I watched my nephew try to play this online for a few hours last night while surfing on my phone and I was like that Sensible Chuckle GIF the whole time. it's crazy bad. Star Wars Christmas Special bad, not redeemable on any level other than the ripples of fansanity it causes. I felt pretty bad for him, he thought it looked rad at first, but you could see the realization sink in after a few hours of exposure to the jank parade unending.

soultron

Banned
Devil's Third is squarely in this fucked up twilight zone where the main audience is hungry for a physical release but it's going to sell really poorly across digital and retail/physical, so doing a DD-only release would do more harm than good.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The 200 stores in my local area (Chicagoland area and all surrounding suburbs) did not get any copies at all, and I checked a lot. I even called about 20 of the stores before launch to ask about it too, and none of them mentioned getting any copies.

Even some of the closer stores in Indiana didn't get any.

Edit: Oh shit, shipments came in.

Yup.
It's just that they came just after release unlike most new releases which arrive before their street date.

-Horizon-

I still don't have the money to get it so I'm gonna pass on it. If its still going for retail price later and actually available later I'll get it. Otherwise I'll probably go digital.

Persona7

Banned
No way its 420. There are copies at lots gamestops near me.

I checked the SKU locator the day it came out and it said no stores had the game in stock within 100 miles but several stores I visited got a few copies later on in the day when UPS or whatever dropped off other packages. I am looking at the store locator now and it seems to be in stock at a lot of stores.

Tobor

So it's a digital game with a limited retail release. What's the big deal?

Plenty of games dont release at retail these days.

So it's a digital game with a limited retail release. What's the big deal?

Plenty of games dont release at retail these days.

Because the scarcity wasn't announced beforehand, Nintendo is the publisher, the game is infamous and it's selling its entire stock on its launch weekend with barely any demand. All of the other super limited physical release games have had their scarcity announced beforehand as a selling point and weren't sent to retailers. This is unusual at the very least, and unprecedented for a Nintendo-published game.

This is how Devil's Third will make it's money: Being an extreme example of Nintendo Artifical Scarcity. It's brilliant, brilliant I say!

That or it will just become the modern day Earthbound in terms of rarity.

It's not Nintendo being artificial. It's GameStop, Amazon, and Best Buy not ordering many copies. Nintendo and any publisher only makes about what retailers and other distributors order. Retailers will not buy too many of what they think won't sell.

fernoca

Keeping also on mind that stores ordered based on preorders. Most stores got 0, since not even 1 person preordered. Other got 1, 2 max.

It was obvious based on the bad reviews, lack of interest in general and average reception in EU and JP that there wasn't much interest. Just look in here, the threads about NoA passing on the game had more posts than the OT of the game on now 3 regions.

bought it digitally as a nice break after i finish Xenoblade chronicles X played the opening i will probably end up enjoying this game based on the opening chapter i already like Ivan as a main character

Ridley327

The weird part about all this is that NOA could have solved whatever issues that the game's publishing status had by, you know, actually announcing on XSeed's behalf that they were going to be the ones to publish the game in NA at the same time that all the other release date information for the other territories. Instead, they allowed for FUD to spread like wildfire and completely misread the entire situation by deciding to take it back for themselves.

sphinx

the piano man
I know it has no relation to the OP, but this game is readily available everywhere in Europe, I don't think it will be rare here.

I mean, Bayonetta First Print Edition, (only available in Europe!) which is actually worth a damn, is available for near retail price on european amazons.

this will be bargain bin material and even then it will have a hard time finding owners

I wouldnt bank on it being rare. Earth defense force for vita andnps4 also got a very low print run at first but second shipments showed up.

With the holidays game shipments can be weird.

I would really be surprised if they bothered with printing discs to only run a few thousand copies.

People are calling for this game to be rare way too early in my opinion. GameStop in particular is good about working with nintendo to get reprints. Just look at xenoblade Wii, fire emblem Wii, etc.

Okay, real talk.

Is this game REALLY that bad or is it just mediocre and being blown out of proportion?

Honestly the trailers make it look like a stupid but fun time, and I can't fathom the guy that helmed Ninja Gaiden screwing up this hard.

Okay, real talk.

Is this game REALLY that bad or is it just mediocre and being blown out of proportion?

Honestly the trailers make it look like a stupid but fun time, and I can't fathom the guy that helmed Ninja Gaiden screwing up this hard.

it has framerate problems, and it seems like the melee combat is pretty shallow, and some frustrating bosses.

It's mostly getting panned because it feels old. I think i would like it but I don't like the idea of the extreme framerate drops. I still might pick it up if i get some spare money.

it has framerate problems, and it seems like the melee combat is pretty shallow, and some frustrating bosses.

It's mostly getting panned because it feels old. I think i would like it but I don't like the idea of the extreme framerate drops. I still might pick it up if i get some spare money.

I've been playing Drakengard 3 which has the most hilariously bad performance I think I have ever seen so I imagine I could deal with it.

Okay, real talk.

Devil's Third looks janky without feeling janky. Some pretty satisfying violence you can inflict. Speaking of violence, it doesn't try to make you feel bad for being violent. You are not awful, you are perfect bald-man badass. I dig how unforgiving the game can be, but with some snap decisions, the winner is you!
Melee is very much like a brawler (i guess), but with the guns involved, when those damn ninjas keep blocking your attacks, dodge back and open fire on those shits. It's all an intuitive press of a button.
Shooting though, may take some time to feel natural (it did for me at least.) Don't just jump into iron-sights. Begin shooting in third person, and once you know you are hitting the target, zoom in and they are done for as fast as a beheading.

EDIT: I wouldn't say "blown out of proportion". It just became... Fun to dislike it. You know, like how turd is a funny word.
4b6cd2406ee9132bfcb97701da7b59d0.jpg

ship it

Okay, real talk.

Having just beat the SP and spent some time on MP, I will say yes it is that bad (and maybe even worse depending on how forgiving you are).

It really is a poorly designed mess of low quality things, like something that should have just been cancelled. I assume the PC version will be better since it should actually have a somewhat acceptable level of performance, but for an action game its offensive and insulting to people to try and pass this off like a legit 60$ product.

Devil's Third looks janky without feeling janky. Some pretty satisfying violence you can inflict. Speaking of violence, it doesn't try to make you feel bad for being violent. You are not awful, you are perfect bald-man badass. I dig how unforgiving the game can be, but with some snap decisions, the winner is you!
Melee is very much like a brawler (i guess), but with the guns involved, when those damn ninjas keep blocking your attacks, dodge back and open fire on those shits. It's all an intuitive press of a button.
Shooting though, may take some time to feel natural (it did for me at least.) Don't just jump into iron-sights. Begin shooting in third person, and once you know you are hitting the target, zoom in and they are done for as fast as a beheading.

Well its subjective I guess, but I disagree completely. It feels janky in tons of ways. Melee is a mess, enemy hit reaction is a mess, shooting is a mess. There is one encounter in particular that is so unfun that I almost said fuck it, but I figured I owned Itagaki to see it through until the end.

It's not a "fun to hate game" or a "bandwagon hate game". It is a legit unfortunate mess.And this is coming from someone that drove an hour each way to get the only physical copy available.

Ventara

So, is the game complete garbage? I want to pick it up because it's rare, but not if it's 100% terrible.

Edit:nvm, reading the ship it's post.

Edit: Yeah, I think I'll pass. Picking up some rare Vita game would be a better investment if you're looking to resell.

Razlo

It's in stock at Amazon.ca. Not convinced anyone will be unable to find it.

I can only speak to the US, but: Sold out at Amazon, sold out at Best Buy, sold out at Walmart, dwindling numbers at GameStop and unlikely Nintendo will re-print.

Already going for high prices on eBay.

Top Bottom