• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: "Itagaki is done? Gamestop only has 420 copies of Devil Third for NA."

Panzer saga sold like 10,000 copies or something. This is is going to be sub 5000 or something?

If it has any saving grace to beimg a worthwhile game then the price could get really high.

Beat the game and loved it for what it was. Shooter/melee game mixed with a typical silly army/miltary plot and odd characters. It's got great variation in locations and one level it goes straight up Resident Evil like. Ha. A blast of a game, but janky as all fuck.

Devil's Third looks janky without feeling janky. Some pretty satisfying violence you can inflict. Speaking of violence, it doesn't try to make you feel bad for being violent. You are not awful, you are perfect bald-man badass. I dig how unforgiving the game can be, but with some snap decisions, the winner is you!
Melee is very much like a brawler (i guess), but with the guns involved, when those damn ninjas keep blocking your attacks, dodge back and open fire on those shits. It's all an intuitive press of a button.
Shooting though, may take some time to feel natural (it did for me at least.) Don't just jump into iron-sights. Begin shooting in third person, and once you know you are hitting the target, zoom in and they are done for as fast as a beheading.

EDIT: I wouldn't say "blown out of proportion". It just became... Fun to dislike it. You know, like how turd is a funny word.
4b6cd2406ee9132bfcb97701da7b59d0.jpg

Having just beat the SP and spent some time on MP, I will say yes it is that bad (and maybe even worse depending on how forgiving you are).

It really is a poorly designed mess of low quality things, like something that should have just been cancelled. I assume the PC version will be better since it should actually have a somewhat acceptable level of performance, but for an action game its offensive and insulting to people to try and pass this off like a legit 60$ product.

Well its subjective I guess, but I disagree completely. It feels janky in tons of ways. Melee is a mess, enemy hit reaction is a mess, shooting is a mess. There is one encounter in particular that is so unfun that I almost said fuck it, but I figured I owned Itagaki to see it through until the end.

It's not a "fun to hate game" or a "bandwagon hate game". It is a legit unfortunate mess.And this is coming from someone that drove an hour each way to get the only physical copy available.

Conflicting opinions. But I'm glad to get them from some people that have actually played it.

Akibared

Beat the game and loved it for what it was. Shooter/melee game mixed with a typical silly army/miltary plot and odd characters. It's got great variation in locations and one level it goes straight up Resident Evil like. Ha. A blast of a game, but janky as all fuck.

Thats what it looked like to me I hope I can find a copy.

Well for one THQ went under.

THQ died and the game had no publisher (or funding probably) for like, years

Yeah, I know THQ went under but did Itagaki just go dark entirely when that happened?

I wonder if development actually was ongoing at all at that point. Losing your funding all of a sudden for a long ass period of time is about as big a disruption as you can get in the middle of developing a game.

Persona7

Banned
It's in stock at Amazon.ca. Not convinced anyone will be unable to find it.

I don't think gamestop.com ever went out of stock either.

If this is true, they are going to hoard them, take off the wrap, and sell them as used for noticeably more.

When Gamestop gets an exclusive reprint they receive the brand new games without protective wrap from the factory. I am guessing it saves them quite a bit of money to maximize profits?

Yeah, I know THQ went under but did Itagaki just go dark entirely when that happened?

I wonder if development actually was ongoing at all at that point. Losing your funding all of a sudden for a long ass period of time is about as big a disruption as you can get in the middle of developing a game.

I suspect the game had just enough money thrown at it to finish what was put on a standstill during the thq collapse and nothing more. I'm more curious as to what Nintendo had planned for helping this game at all. Did it help them secure itagaku's next game or something? The business decision behind this game is all I want to know about.

Persona7

Banned
I just remembered that Nintendo always under ships new games at launch and then follows up with a large shipment. It seems to happen more often with smaller games like Tomodachi Life.

ArjanN

Does it really deserve all the ridicule?

Nah..

It's feels sort of like a b-tier PS2/XBOX action game that never came out. The SP is mediocre, MP a little better, but there's nothing offensively bad about it. There were hundreds of worse games this year, but this was just more high profile than most of those, so it kinda fell into the "cool to shit on" category.

Itagaki always playing up his too cool for school rcokstar persona doesn't really help either.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So when deciding how many copies to ship did they just look at the Metacritic score and add a 0 to the end?
M4oe5vt.gif

Elios83

I don't think Itagaki is done as a developer but the Devil's Third IP is already finished.
It is a miracle that the game was released after all the development hell it went through since the THQ demise but it wasn't worth it especially for Nintendo.

n0razi

420 copies is pretty rare.... could be worth $ one day like those crappy rare NES cartridges

Just ordered 2 copies from gamestop (free shipping too!)... I figure I can at least make my money back in a year

SURGEdude

this game kinda reminds me of when Lair came out. people just wanted it to be so good, so badly. but it was just a gigantic trainwreck of a game. like this one.

Yup. Go to any legendary shitty game's OT and you will find a few people defending it.

Heck a very active member on Gaf to this day defended Sonic '06 with the same kind of vigor as some people have with this game.

Anybody who has ever gotten a title pre-release and offered up even mild criticism usually gets smeared and then when it releases and those complaints are echoed by the public and review sites then suddenly it becomes a vendetta against the game by people who are mean and just don't get it or want to fail.

It's ok to like bad games. I kinda dug Kane & Lynch 2 but I'm not gonna make a fool of myself and parade it around like it wasn't kind of junk that scratched an itch for me. That's admitting that taste is subjective while also taking off the blinders long enough to realize that for most people the game is gonna be considered shit.

Terrell

I suspect the game had just enough money thrown at it to finish what was put on a standstill during the thq collapse and nothing more. I'm more curious as to what Nintendo had planned for helping this game at all. Did it help them secure itagaku's next game or something? The business decision behind this game is all I want to know about.

The decision is simple:

"Stop telling people that your mature sensibilities offend us, Nintendo as a corporate entity seriously doesn't give a shit, it's just personally not our kind of bag when making games internally. Do what you want and we'll even support you doing it if you need it."

It was a PR move. And hopefully not an expensive one. But all said and done, Bayonetta made the point better, seeing as how that game was ACTUALLY good.

I had to argue with myself for a bit but ended up picking this one up. I'm excited to see how bad it really is (or maybe isn't, I love "bad" games) and, at the very least, it seems that I'll make my money back.

420 copies is pretty rare.... could be worth $ one day like those crappy rare NES cartridges

Just ordered 2 copies from gamestop (free shipping too!)... I figure I can at least make my money back in a year

I wonder what percentage of sales will end up being collectors who just want it because it is super rare?

SalvaPot

Yup. Go to any legendary shitty game's OT and you will find a few people defending it.

Heck a very active member on Gaf to this day defended Sonic '06 with the same kind of vigor as some people have with this game.

Anybody who has ever gotten a title pre-release and offered up even mild criticism usually gets smeared and then when it releases and those complaints are echoed by the public and review sites then suddenly it becomes a vendetta against the game by people who are mean and just don't get it or want to fail.

It's ok to like bad games. I kinda dug Kane & Lynch 2 but I'm not gonna make a fool of myself and parade it around like it wasn't kind of junk that scratched an itch for me. That's admitting that taste is subjective while also taking off the blinders long enough to realize that for most people the game is gonna be considered shit.
I think very few people in the Devil's Third OT argue that the game is objectively good as a whole, but the people that liked it, really like some parts of it, highlights seems to be the crazy, really responsive multiplayer experience (That most choice of words call "unique, addictive and just dumb fun" and the complete hilarity of the single player campaign, that is said to have personality and a PS2 era sense of fun not present nowadays. I am waiting for my copy to arrive, and I am fully aware I am diving into a wreck of a game, but its story and how divisive it is means I am getting at least some kind of entertainment out of it.

If its bad then I wasted $60 bucks, it won't be the first time. If its good... I'll let you know.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I can only speak to the US, but: Sold out at Amazon, sold out at Best Buy, sold out at Walmart, dwindling numbers at GameStop and unlikely Nintendo will re-print.

Already going for high prices on eBay.

The only US copies sold on eBay were all for 59.99.
There are zero US copies on eBay as of this post. That is the most surprising thing to me.

Top Bottom