• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: "Itagaki is done? Gamestop only has 420 copies of Devil Third for NA."

Is that their current stock level, or what they received total? Either way it's really low. Still in stock as of now on Gamestop. Says new, but I expect those to mostly (maybe totally?) be gutted copies.

pantsmith

Its going to be rare until it becomes a collectors item and suddenly Gamestop will find themselves in posession of a second printing :/

-shadow-

And meanwhile in Europe both Devil's Third and Project Zero Maiden of Black Water can be found in most stores selling video games.

What is NOA doing exactly?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If I had known this I might have bought it just for the sake of collecting.

That 420 number has to be bullshit. Why even make it if they made so few copies?

That's one retailer, others would have gotten some too so it's not 420 total copies. I don't know what Nintendo's minimum is but they wouldn't really need to abide by it anyway. Given the situation the game was in it's not surprising they barely made any physical copies.

Its going to be rare until it becomes a collectors item and suddenly Gamestop will find themselves in posession of a second printing :/

Has that happened before with games that were considered bad? In the case of something like Xenoblade the game was almost universally praised which resulted in the high demand and high prices.

That's one retailer, others would have gotten some too so it's not 420 total copies. I don't know what Nintendo's minimum is but they wouldn't really need to abide by it anyway. Given the situation the game was in it's not surprising they barely made any physical copies.

Has that happened before with games that were considered bad? In the case of something like Xenoblade the game was almost universally praised which resulted in the high demand and high prices.

It has happen with many games where the publisher believed the game was going to sell poorly... I remember how rare Virtua Fighter 5 for Xbox 360 was when it came out.
Or New Legends at launch for the originAL Xbox among others..

Occam

Stock is apparently still in the process of being shipped. The game should show up at other retailers soon.
Gamestop is far from the only store that'll carry it, no need to panic.

Gamestop has had a hand in reprinting a lot of games including things like Calling on Wii and Tank Tank Tank on Wii U just to cash in on the rarity hype.

I can't even imagine who is buying this outside of the people who like the idea of having it just to say "I own Devil's Third", in the same way I own Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja.

TheMoon

If the other outlets have 100 times that (which they assuredly don't), it still would still be a humiliating number.

42,000 (theoretical) copies would not be a humiliating number of copies shipped out to stores for a game this niche on a platform like this combined with all the other circumstances surrounding its existence.

Itagaki will be fine. He could probably do a Kickstarter tomorrow and get a couple million for whatever. It'll probably be a while before he does anything AAA again though, if ever.

Mechazawa

Don't think the game's going to be that highly sought after. At the end of the day, you can always just snag a legit copy from the eshop.

I can't even imagine who is buying this outside of the people who like the idea of having it just to say "I own Devil's Third", in the same way I own Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja.

Multiplayer is supposed to be pretty fantastic. Looking forward to putting in some time with it after finals are over.

And then never touching it again when the PC version releases.

I wonder what the story was behind this game.
How did it turn out so completely awful?

We already know the story- it had a troubled development cycle after losing it's initial publisher, so Nintendo swoop in to pick it up.

And now it's exclusive to the Wii U.

Xav

Devil's Third is shit so I can't say I really care if it flops. I do however hate to see Itagaki sink to these levels. Ninja Gaiden & Ninja Gaiden II are legendary games.

It may not be as polished as the original but Ninja Gaiden II was awesome. It was visually one of the most satisfying games ever released.

Spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHvyWA3WJA

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also another fun fact is that Gamestop only got 420 copies of Devil's Third in the whole region of the United States.

Blame NOA. They don't want to release it here but are doing it because of fan backlash.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Go try getting your job back with the Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken company bruh.

gdt

He deserves another chance. All the shit that happened with game is insane. Someone put some funding in for a real action game. Come on MS. Or Sony. Or whoever really.

The guy made my two favorite character action games. Give him another shot plz.

(Bayonetta are 3rd)

Top Bottom