• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: "Itagaki is done? Gamestop only has 420 copies of Devil Third for NA."

If this means more people buy and play the game, this is great. The multiplayer is fantastic and the campaign is super cheesy B-movie fun.

If this means more people buy and play the game, this is great. The multiplayer is fantastic and the campaign is super cheesy B-movie fun.

Yup, Im surprised about how much fun Im having with the game so far.

People buying this just to save, in-case the value rises. If you like competitive multiplayer and can overlook some technical issues, and poor visual presentation, give this a shot. It's an incredibly fun and unique shooter/character action game hydrid that works surprisingly well in a multiplayer environment, and has some well designed and fun multiplayer maps.

I've never played a game quite like it, and it brings about a lot of unique combat scenarios that force you to think in a fun and different way.

The campaign is definitely cheesy fun. The sword-play and gunplay dont hold up on thier own, but when fused with Itagaki's combat mindset, and brash, run-headfirst into action mindset, makes for a fun, if inconsistent romp, unfortunately brought down by technical issues, and some weak patches.

In my opinion, the campaign is more of a 4-6, but the MP is definitely more of a solid 7-8. I think the game is definitely underrated, and has a chance to do really well as a free-to-play, especially if Valhalla can fix the cheap sfx and feel of the firearms, and polish up the visuals and animation for the PC release.

Nanb9hQ.jpg

Nintendo doesn't even care

It's kind of bizarre to see this game see so much hate when it's really just thoroughly mediocre. When I think of the 'B-game' that so many people on GAF lament the death of games like Devil's Third are pretty much exactly what comes to mind.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You're surprised that there isn't any money to be made on a console that nobody actually cares about?

I'm surprised people aren't scalping the hell out of it, yes.
But mostly because there's always, ALWAYS some copies of ANY game on eBay just after release.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's kind of bizarre to see this game see so much hate when it's really just thoroughly mediocre. When I think of the 'B-game' that so many people on GAF lament the death of games like Devil's Third are pretty much exactly what comes to mind.
i don't think it's really hate as much as it is mocking or derision

nobody is upset by this game, they just think it's funny

Backlash came due to itagaki and fans who said this game, which looked ass since development, will be a great game when it is released.

It didn't.

He delivered an incredible masterpiece with Ninja Gaiden (Black), after that it all went downhill. His so called prodigy taking over at team Ninja didn't know what he was doing, and Itagaki himself messed up in more ways then one.

Shit I should have preordered it, I figured that either that game or Xenoblade would become rare in the future so I should have just picked a copy up...

Domaje

... It feels janky in tons of ways. Melee is a mess, enemy hit reaction is a mess, shooting is a mess. There is one encounter in particular that is so unfun that I almost said fuck it, but I figured I owned Itagaki to see it through until the end.

It's not a "fun to hate game" or a "bandwagon hate game". It is a legit unfortunate mess.And this is coming from someone that drove an hour each way to get the only physical copy available.
Melee is a mess? There are melee only online modes. Those are brutally skill based. Looks like for those who learn how to properly use each move, combat isn't that messy. The problem is that no one teach you how/when to use each move (that's bad, because that could have been done in the single player) so this learning process can be frustrating.

At some point in a melee only mode me and some other player chose that we should avoid killing low level players (99% of the time a low level player is a free kill) because they kept on quitting after one game. In the best case those players managed to kill 1-2 people in one game, while being killed around 10 times. In the worst case they quitted the game to go write a hateful review on some gaming site.

B refers to the game's budget not it's quality.

Sold the fuck out at GameStop, too. Jesus Christ. I'm keeping my Dell copy sealed then and using a GS "new" copy to play.

lol @ anyone who thinks this will get a second shipment. It barely got a first.

Apdiddy

Knowing Gamestop, any store I go to will open their only sealed copy to put their goddamn stickers on it and stick it on the shelves and it will lose whatever rarity value as a result.

Nearing the end of the game and I can say it isn't the most janky game I played all year -that title goes to THPS5-I never had this game freeze on me or quit out randomly-or my character fall through environment.

Thoughts on Devils Third: echoed by most who played it: Straight up b-movie fare, I enjoyed the gunplay and melee-(best third person katana of recent memory-plus them tomahawks) lots of gore and excessive swearing- it's like a 3D brawler in same vein as house of the dead overkill. Fun but flawed- glad I got it-

gonna start MP tonight (if I can find a match)

Knowing Gamestop, any store I go to will open their only sealed copy to put their goddamn stickers on it and stick it on the shelves and it will lose whatever rarity value as a result.

Mine was-argued with clerk for 10 minutes before he gave me a 10 dollar discount. Used a giftcard anyways. haha

Jawmuncher

Eh, I still see at least one more. Best Buy and such places never even got stock for their stores. Regardless I'm not going to fall into the collector craze.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Now I feel like I should buy this turd to sell to Nintendo fans in a few years. I could probably buy a new GPU for the money I'd make lol

I really liked it when I played the PAL version .
It looks like shit in spots and was obviously rushed in places, and the ADS is way too loose....but I beat it in like 3 sittinhs , which I just don't do any more.
Its a solid 7, just a little than I'd give his Ninja Gaiden games. Ateast DT has a great third person camera.

Hopefully people will download it and see you can have fun with a non AAA game.

Aren't those limited run games for Vita like Breach&Clear getting more prints?

Yeah, because the small-time publisher that originally released them stands to profit from doing so.

What does Nintendo have to gain by going through the hassle of a second print run? The game is on eShop.

Fuck me, I just bought it.

I have zero intention of ever removing the plastic, but this is going to be Earthbound-rare in a decade so, hey, why not?

Assanova

Two of the GameStops near me have it, so I suppose I will buy it. I don't care to play it at all, but if it is worth anything, then I guess it will be worth getting to sell.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Aren't those limited run games for Vita like Breach&Clear getting more prints?

I believe they got clearance from Sony and any other party involved to make that happen and get more prints.

Yeah, because the small-time publisher that originally released them stands to profit from doing so.

What does Nintendo have to gain by going through the hassle of a second print run? The game is on eShop.

They're not doing second prints of sold out titles. They've made that very clear.

They will be releasing different titles soon though.

Top Bottom