• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: "Itagaki is done? Gamestop only has 420 copies of Devil Third for NA."

mrmickfran

LOOOOOOL

tebunker

Banned
Because Nintendo continued the funding when no other publisher would and the Wii U is the obvious choice without major re-engineering.

Unfortunately i think getting the lifeline from Nintendo also hurt development because it helped prompt the move to UE3 which is also a big cause of a lot of the technical issues.

Great that a game got funded and got the opportunity to be released but man the Wiiu was not the best platform for that development and Valhalla was more or less hamstrung with engine choices in order to get a game to release

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Considering the core base is on PS4/XB, this would do much better as a console/PC release.

If the game has anything redeeming tgen hopefully we will see at least a PC port down the line.

Putting an exclusive on WiiU might as well be like making another GTA exclusive to Vita .

I almost wish I'd bought a copy. All three of my local GameStops had them in stock. They were listed as "low stock" so I'm guessing each of them got literally one copy lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
And now you'll have 400+ suckers shelling out 60$ for a sub-par game because they think it'll have collector's value in the future.

Itagaki can't keep getting away with it!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The first "higher-than-msrp" eBay auction has gone up for the NA version. From Canada interestingly enough.
Let's see if it sells, it's about double msrp.

Sushigod7

Well shit now its gone online time to go get one today at the store.

edit: holy shit I just called 5 stores that showed it only 1 had a copy left have to go get it now its on hold. Wow

Considering the core base is on PS4/XB, this would do much better as a console/PC release.

If the game has anything redeeming tgen hopefully we will see at least a PC port down the line.

Putting an exclusive on WiiU might as well be like making another GTA exclusive to Vita .

I don't think he had a choice, Nintendo was the only one picking them up.

If anyone in the UK or EU Gaf wants to check it out, SimplyGames have it in stock now for £14.85 delivered:

http://deals.simplygames.com/p/devils-third-nintendo-wii-u

I'd say the multiplayer is worth that, easily. And how many campaigns have you played that start with an incarcerated, bald, tattooed serial killer smoking a cigar whilst performing a Kicking Rad drum solo in a secret underground government prison bunker whilst hacked satellites train down in flames from the sky?

I'm going to guess not many.

PetrCobra

wow, all those people still maintaining the narrative of this game being bad

I mean, yeah, it would be nice for them to eradicate the bugs and glitches, and give some options to limit the trolls who sometimes make the game not enjoyable to others, and maybe tweak the experience gains after everything is unlocked (keep 5x exp on one drill mode so that newbies don't give up before they get to siege mode), but this is still an extraordinary experience. Talking about the online part of course.

The single player is just okay.

Ridley327

Unfortunately i think getting the lifeline from Nintendo also hurt development because it helped prompt the move to UE3 which is also a big cause of a lot of the technical issues.

Great that a game got funded and got the opportunity to be released but man the Wiiu was not the best platform for that development and Valhalla was more or less hamstrung with engine choices in order to get a game to release

To be fair, any further development after THQ's death would have been met with the same difficulty, since it was originally running on Vigil's Darksiders engine.

Oppo

Yup. Go to any legendary shitty game's OT and you will find a few people defending it.

Heck a very active member on Gaf to this day defended Sonic '06 with the same kind of vigor as some people have with this game.

Anybody who has ever gotten a title pre-release and offered up even mild criticism usually gets smeared and then when it releases and those complaints are echoed by the public and review sites then suddenly it becomes a vendetta against the game by people who are mean and just don't get it or want to fail.

It's ok to like bad games. I kinda dug Kane & Lynch 2 but I'm not gonna make a fool of myself and parade it around like it wasn't kind of junk that scratched an itch for me. That's admitting that taste is subjective while also taking off the blinders long enough to realize that for most people the game is gonna be considered shit.

yeah I wish more people were cool with this notion.

I like a lot of bad things. s'ok. but you go over the line when you try to convince other people that they are actually good things. same goes for bands. and don't get bent out of shape when people are like, duh, that thing sucks. just shrug and say you like it and you know not why. it's not an attack on your taste. well maybe a little ;)

G0523

So, in another Devil's Third thread (hard to believe we have 3 of these now), someone said that they spoke with Amazon and apparently they'll be getting more copies in on December 20th. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

G0523

So all of the gamestop near me have the game in stock...anyone iso?

Nope. The number of stores for me is dwindling. The closest GameStop near me that might have it is about 25 miles away. I wonder if I can get the store near me to ship one from another store that's farther away.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't know why I find price tracking so fascinating.

So those two auctions for 199 made some changes.
One guy dropped his to $119, the other increased his to $249 haha.

So, in another Devil's Third thread (hard to believe we have 3 of these now), someone said that they spoke with Amazon and apparently they'll be getting more copies in on December 20th. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Amazon reps are almost never right with restocks so probably not. The Amazon listing only lists third party.

Z3M0G

So this actually wasn't a typo where they were missing 2 or 3 zero's...?

And wasn't there something about another shipment? Or did that turn out to be another 42 copies or some shit?

SalvaPot

So this actually wasn't a typo where they were missing 2 or 3 zero's...?

And wasn't there something about another shipment? Or did that turn out to be another 42 copies or some shit?

Another Gaffer claims that Amazon Rep said they are expecting a new shipment on the 20th. Could be truth, but they said the same about Palutena when I missed on that and I called them and they never got the restock.

Amazon reps are almost never right with restocks so probably not. The Amazon listing only lists third party.

I have no knowledge, but I would also add that if Amazon knows they are getting stock they typically put the item up for sale with a message that it will be in stock on Dec 20th. That leads me to believe they either aren't certain they are getting anymore copies or they definitely aren't getting anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo has some left from the first print that retailers just didn't want initially, but it also wouldn't suprise me if Nintendo only printed enough to cover pre-orders, plus a little more. They obviously didn't even want to release the game at all and definitely didn't want to do a physical version in NA so I could see an extremely limited physical run.

SalvaPot

I have no knowledge, but I would also add that if Amazon knows they are getting stock they typically put the item up for sale with a message that it will be in stock on Dec 20th. That leads me to believe they either aren't certain they are getting anymore copies. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo has some left from the first print that retailers just didn't want initially, but it also wouldn't suprise me if Nintendo only printed enough to cover pre-orders, plus a little more. They obviously didn't even want to release the game at all and definitely didn't want to do a physical version in NA so I could see an extremely limited physical run.

Honestly if they can just release such a limited run we should demand a Fatal Frame limited release, I am sure they can easily sell 5000 copies just from collectors orders alone.

And now you'll have 400+ suckers shelling out 60$ for a sub-par game because they think it'll have collector's value in the future.

Itagaki can't keep getting away with it!

Ha, or 400+ people who eventually crack it open, and realize that although the campaign is kind of shoddy, the multiplayer is actually rather great. It's really too bad Nintendo doesn't just bomb 50-100,000 copies out to retail for $20 each, and put the multiplayer online as free-to-play. It would probably be reasonably successful and awesome as a free-to-play online shooter. The clan stuff, base building, and plethora of game modes deserve some love for a game that is just unique and genuinely fun to play.

G0523

So I just called the GameStop near me and the person on the phone said that she would try to get a copy in from another store. Seconds later, she calls me back and said that they'll have a copy waiting for me later this week! Woo hoo!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Welp, one just sold for $150.
Numerous others now online for ridiculous prices.

So I just called the GameStop near me and the person on the phone said that she would try to get a copy in from another store. Seconds later, she calls me back and said that they'll have a copy waiting for me later this week! Woo hoo!

Nice!

It makes me sad to see the way Itagaki's reputation is being dragged through the mud, now that he's shipped a game with such a troubled dev cycle. The man consistently shipped some of the most polished games on consoles, and he had a well-deserved reputation for it. Sure, he said silly stuff, but we loved him for it (and still do).

Cleve

Ha, or 400+ people who eventually crack it open, and realize that although the campaign is kind of shoddy, the multiplayer is actually rather great. It's really too bad Nintendo doesn't just bomb 50-100,000 copies out to retail for $20 each, and put the multiplayer online as free-to-play. It would probably be reasonably successful and awesome as a free-to-play online shooter. The clan stuff, base building, and plethora of game modes deserve some love for a game that is just unique and genuinely fun to play.

This seems like a much better way to handle the game. Pretending it doesn't exist isn't really great for anyone.

Coda

I really liked it when I played the PAL version .
It looks like shit in spots and was obviously rushed in places, and the ADS is way too loose....but I beat it in like 3 sittinhs , which I just don't do any more.
Its a solid 7, just a little than I'd give his Ninja Gaiden games. Ateast DT has a great third person camera.

Hopefully people will download it and see you can have fun with a non AAA game.

That's my main problem with the game right now, the "Aim Down Sights" is janky as fuck and the game acts like crazy when you're trying to pop someone in multiplayer with it. But everything else feels nice, the sliding and parkour elements feel great.

PetrCobra

Yeah but tell that to the people who just go "something something reviews something something videos something something sub par game" every time.

Honestly if they can just release such a limited run we should demand a Fatal Frame limited release, I am sure they can easily sell 5000 copies just from collectors orders alone.

Couldn't agree more. Was really interested in purchasing a copy of Fatal Frame.

I think they only released a small amount of Devil's Third physically to appease the fans that had pre-ordered and started to complain when rumors started that it wouldn't release in North America. They felt obligated and so they did the bare minimum to fill pre-orders and a few additional and throw it up on the eShop and see if they can recoup a little money.

Coda

If anyone actually pays more than 60 for this game then that's sad. The game is more worth $30-40 for the fun multiplayer and $60 is a stretch for how unfinished the game can feel. If you have the hard drive space just buy it digitally, I get the whole owning a physical copy thing but it's not worth it IMO unless you can get it for the normal MSRP price.

This seems like a much better way to handle the game. Pretending it doesn't exist isn't really great for anyone.

It just feels disturbing how NOA is handling this game. Such a huge amount of disrespect for all the time and effort the developers have put into the game, and even worse, it's a huge disrespect to the fans that purchase the game, only to have the online community for the best part of the game potentially die shortly after release, because the company purposefully tried to sabotage the game's release, so no one will know about it. It's kind of messed up. Playing through the campaign, it's pretty obvious that with Nintendo's actual support on engineering, art and animation, they could have easily saved the game with more time. There is a great game lurking underneath the technical issues and poor presentation.

Having said that, I do realize now that this game would probably just be better off as a free-to-play PC title. It will likely be far more technically competent, and the gun aiming will be so much better without that large deadzone from the gamepad.

If anyone actually pays more than 60 for this game then that's sad. The game is more worth $30-40 for the fun multiplayer and $60 is a stretch for how unfinished the game can feel. If you have the hard drive space just buy it digitally, I get the whole owning a physical copy thing but it's not worth it IMO unless you can get it for the normal MSRP price.

I would say that about any game while the gen is still ongoing (not counting Collectors Editions). With all the recent reprints that Gamestop has done, any game that gets too expensive will likely receive a reprint at some point. If not, then you never know when you may come across a deal to get it cheaper somewhere.

Top Bottom