• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Lol.... thanks for the help... some gafers.
I think your mockup does a better job at showing how this controller might work than the UE4 demo in the supposed leak does. Like, that Metroid Prime photoshop looks like a proper game with added screen space whereas the OP just has a super cropped bit of a UE4 demo with two analogue sticks on top.

I just find the idea of deliberately or accidentally placing an off centred video capture just as weird. The stuff I'm saying only matches theories I've had in the past when trying to figure out how you'd develop games that work on a small 3:1 screen as well as a 16:9 tv version.
If it is a console controller it would be admittedly strange.
Would make more sense as a handheld in that regard.
The gamepad is to scale with most TVs and this isn't.

The_Lump

Banned
I just find the idea of deliberately or accidentally placing an off centred video capture just as weird. The stuff I'm saying only matches theories I've had in the past when trying to figure out how you'd develop games that work on a small 3:1 screen as well as a 16:9 tv version.

It does make me think that, if I was going to all the trouble of making a physical fake device - and a damned convincing one at that - why half ass the easy bit (coming up with an image to use for the screen)? Out of everything it seems to be so easy to make that part convincing, right?

If anything this actually makes it more believable, weirdly.

Yrael

I've just caught up on everything...what a rollercoaster of a thread.

I personally hope that the final version of the controller does not end up looking like this.

Elios83

LOL it indeed looks like a rear-view mirror.
Besides that I don't know what to say...Wii U had a tablet as a controller and this looks like a smartphone with analog sticks?
Right now I can't see where the innovation is.

ZOONAMI

It's a fan mock up guys. I think it's a damn good effort

Actually the hands comes from here....
Wii-U-GamePad.jpg

I'm not criticizing the mock up, just saying those hands is weird.

I mean, Nintendo did something like this with Looksly's Line-Up (I probably just terribly misspelled that), but the difference was never that drastic. That game basically faked a 3D diorama on the DSi.

It's not implausible that they have some camera movement enabled in this demo, but, if they did, it seems doubtful that we'd find a frame that matched up that exactly while simultaneously being part of a larger image. The reason the image seems so unlikely is that it seems to be panning around a 2D image rather than moving a camera in 3D space.

The diorama method could work too, but suitable for small looking things or AR like games. Another method could rotate the camera instead of just doing a pan too, I'll probably have to download some apps to see what's best. I'd thought months ago that you could use a panning method as a goofy mode of DS emulation where you slightly change the tilt to see the other screen, probably awful though, heh

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
There was a post earlier that showed an exact image from the demo cropped to perfectly fit the screen on the prototype. There's really no debate that the image came from there.
Which is what I said. Your collage was from the wrong timestamp.

ed: Sorry, not 'your' collage, but the one you were referring to.

what if this whole time it's alien tech (i mean he did say he wasn't sure if it WAS nintendo) and the guy was at Area 51???

Makes you think

Pif

Banned
I like full crazy Nintendo. Wii U was only half crazy.
This time, NX could be a total flop, instead of half flop if this thing is for real.

If they can beat their Virtual Boy all time record with another new low gargantuan flop, this console is gonna be immortalized on the internet.

there's no room at the top :p

But couldn't they make room? Seems like an odd spot for a camera and not consistent with Nintendo's previous hardware.

This time, NX could be a total flop, instead of half flop if this thing is for real.

If they can beat their Virtual Boy all time record with another new low gargantuan flop, this console is gonna be immortalized on the internet.

I'm fairly certain Nintendo considers WiI U to be a total flop. I mean, they were incredibly disappointed with GCN numbers and those were significantly higher than Wii U sales.

Peltz

Thinking over Iwata's comments about touch screen inputs, and smartphone gaming, I have to conclude that this is fake.

Nintendo understands the desire for accurate tactile controls. I do not believe they would abandon buttons.

All this being said, it feels great to be excited for actual surprises again after being submerged in this gen for a few years now. The "new" consoles are no longer new and are starting to feel lukewarm and routine (at least until VR rolls around). Bring on the crazy inventive experimental Nintendo please.

Lets assume this controller is real. Would it render the footage on the TV in its 16:9 area with the rest of the oval showing stuff outside the area of the TV or would it crop the TV's footage into the oval? I would think it would be the former as the latter would be a step down from the gamepad not to mention pointless.

Thinking over Iwata's comments about touch screen inputs, and smartphone gaming, I have to conclude that this is fake.

Nintendo understands the desire for accurate tactile controls. I do not believe they would abandon buttons.

Maybe the buttons are on the back? Like scuf paddles.

dtm808

The thing i dont get is if this is a handheld device like many claim this is the most unwieldy portable i have ever seen. It would not fit in your pocket let alone a purse. The screen would be so succeptible to damage and the battery life for this thing would be horrendous.

AntMurda

I'm not saying it's real or fake, but at best it's only a prototype that doesn't reveal the actual ergonomic shape of the controller.

Given how disastrous the Wii U was, I can't see them at least not being a bit more conservative on the controller.

Okay, thanks! You don't happen to have a link on hand?
It's a few pages into here I think
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=151082789#post151082789

It just says it'll be more than you (the thread creator?) think, but less than others expect. Idk how much can be read into that, especially if the screen has a funny shape. And it wasn't clear to me if Matt is speaking from knowledge or just saying something reasonable, I'm not too familiar with his posts.

I'm not saying it's real or fake, but at best it's only a prototype that doesn't reveal the actual ergonomic shape of the controller.

Given how disastrous the Wii U was, I can't see them at least not being a bit more conservative on the controller.

I don't know why so many think Nintendo wouldn't make a control of this shape when they mandated a substantial number of games be played with the Wii Remote sideways. The ergonomics there are nonexistent. The 3DS XL is cramp inducing from nearly the moment one picks it up. I think this is actually a step up from those efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom