• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Noel Gallagher's first TWO solo albums (1st out Oct 17)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill0527

Soul_Pie said:
Just heard everybody's on the run.

Simply incredible.

I came to post this.

My first thought after first listen was that it sounded like something from an epic movie.

Then a little later I watched Noel on Absolute Radio from this morning and he said he was going for a Morricone feel for the song. I think he nailed it.

dazed808

My Ltd Edition CD just dropped through the letterbox. Time to pop the headphones on and lose myself for a couple of hours.

Ristlager

Got to say that there has been a long time since I have heard an album which has so many good songs on it. In my mind there isn't one filler on this. Good going Noel, this one is going to get a lot of playtime :)

dazed808

I have been looking forward to a Noel solo album for so many years but have always been a little worried it would disappoint. Well, I shouldn't of as it's fucking top-notch stuff with some of the best lyrics he's written for a long-arse time.

Record Machine is even better than the (already quality) demo and Soldier Boys & Jesus Freaks should be the next single but I fear it wouldn't get too much airplay here in the UK.

I love Stop the Clocks but it still seems Noel doesn't quite know the best arrangement for it. It's an improvement over the various demos that have been around for years but it doesn't quite hit the heights it probably could.

I can see why Alone on The Rope wasn't included as it doesn't really match the feel of the album tracks but it would of been nice to see Let the Lord Shine a Light on there somewhere.

Overall, it's all that I wanted from a Noel solo album and hopefully there's many more to come

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Any legal way to buy this in the US? I don't really want to wait.

It's such an archaic notion to split the release over multiple territories.

Meier

shantyman said:
Any legal way to buy this in the US? I don't really want to wait.

It's such an archaic notion to split the release over multiple territories.
I think you can probably buy the digital version from Noel's site in pounds but honestly, I dunno -- it may not allow you based on your credit card address or whatever.

The way he explained it was that he wanted to be able to promote it in both countries upon its release (whether that be concerts or going on talk shows, etc.). I get it but it still sucks and definitely feels archaic. I saw a few local websites refer to its release as Monday.

In related news, sales update!

Noel Gallagher's debut album 'Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds' is on course to take the Number One spot in the UK albums chart this weekend.
The ex-Oasis chief is going head to head with former X Factor winner Matt Cardle for the top spot this Sunday (October 22) and is currently well ahead in the race.

Gallagher has a significant lead over Cardle's debut LP 'Letters' clocking up 55,000 sales compared to 28,000. But according to the Official Charts Company The X Factor star is expected to close the gap over the coming days as supermarket sales filter in.
http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/59867

As a reminder, Beady Eye went in at #3 on the back of 67k copies sold.

Meier

Typographenia said:
Congrats to Noel, but it doesn't really surprise me.

What would surprise me is if it even charted here in the states.
The fragmented release pretty much screws those chances. If it was out while new there and the news stories were flowing, that'd help. That being said, I think he could do top 20..maybe not though since sales ramp up in November.

Medalion

Banned
I dunno why, but I was perusing HMV today at the mall and was hoping by some miracle I would find Noel's album in their sales racks somewhere despite I knew it could never happen, but always that chance

I was right but it was worth a try

I think of the tracks I haven't heard so far as official releases, AKA Broken Arrow catches my ears right away

A song like Stop the Clocks in theory sounds like a great song but is ruined by too much shit being thrown into imo, and I've only heard the original demo floating around years and years ago once

The bonus track A Simple Game of Genius is also a great song that sounds to me shoulda been on even the regular versions of the album. Sounds Oasisy to me, like maybe The Good Rebel but less repetitive

nah i don't think it fits on the album

i don't disagree with any of his choices as b-sides at all

NME review singled out "everybody's on the run" as a song that would have been better sung by liam but i don't know if that's true

some of the songs for sure, like death of you and me, but i disagree with that one

Meier said:
I think you can probably buy the digital version from Noel's site in pounds but honestly, I dunno -- it may not allow you based on your credit card address or whatever.
That's what I did. Live in Cali, paid with an amex and downloaded the apple lossless version of the album. Easy-peasy.

jambo

Ristlager said:
Got to say that there has been a long time since I have heard an album which has so many good songs on it. In my mind there isn't one filler on this. Good going Noel, this one is going to get a lot of playtime :)

Definitely agree, been loving every minute of it since I picked it up.

Solid.

Always down for solo jams from folks, and I miss Oasis at times.

I had no idea he was releasing stuff. With this and Tom Waits, October is a great month this year!

Medalion

Banned
For it to beat Live Forever it'd have to have a better set of guitar solos, which none of these songs released thus far has anywhere half as good

On first listen, I felt like Dream On was one of the weakest tracks.. precisely because it sounded too Oasis-y. The latter part especially reminded me of Round Are Way at the Unplugged session... I love that most of the album sounds distinctly Noel. On subsequent listens, my animosity towards Dream On has definitely softened though. I was driving around doing deliveries last night, and I must have listened to the album on loop 3 times before changing.

My faves are probably - Death of You and Me, AKA What a Life, Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks and Stranded on the Wrong Beach.

Medalion

Banned
HMV.ca says HFB is coming on Nov 11th, and they will supposedly also have the Deluxe Edition which is the one I am gunning for

Wiktor

Such an beautiful album with so many incredible tracks. My favorites so far are: Death of you and me, If I had a gun, Dream On, Everybody's on the Run and most of all Stranded on the Wrong Beach, which has the most ridicously catchy refrain I've heard in ages.

I didn't think I would ever say it, but I'm actually glad now that Oasis broke up. I really liked Beady's Eye debut album and Noel did even better. On those two albums there are propably more great songs than any new album by Oasis could have.

My only regret is that I didn't see them live together. Always was putting it off, thinking the band will always be there :(

Meier

Absolute must-read interview with Noel. I could probably bold/quote the entire thing, frankly. Dude is just the king..

TS: Did you get other bands trying to recruit you after Oasis split? There were rumours that Kasabian asked you to join…
N: “No, that’s nonsense, and I would’ve joined that band in a heartbeat, by the way. But they never asked. I never really got calls off anyone. I never had Bono phoning me, saying, “I’ve always thought The Edge could do with some back-up.” [Laughs] So, if you’re reading this and you’re in a band that sells in excess of 15 to 20 million albums and you need a rhythm guitarist, then… [Coughs and points to himself]. I do interviews, the odd photoshoot, I’m a good laugh and I run a tight tour bus. There you go [laughs].”

TS: What’s your wildest memory of those early years of fame?
N: Ewan McGregor was my neighbour, right, and he came round my house the night he got the part of Obi-Wan Kenobi. I just happened to have two of those lightsaber toys, so I said, “Come on — in the back garden.” And we had a f*cking lightsaber fight. His first Jedi training session was with yours truly in my back garden at eight in the morning.

(on getting his first pet, a cat)
TS: What’s the cat called?
N: “Well, I didn’t name him. Let’s get that straight. My four-year-old named him Boots. Not after the chemist, obviously. Although, if he’d named him Superdrug, that would’ve been f*cking brilliant. Anyway, I don’t know why he’s called Boots and I didn’t think I’d like him, but I f*cking love this cat. I f*cking love him. I keep telling him, “I f*cking love you.”

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/10/20/the-worlds-best-interviewee/

bill0527

Meier said:
Absolute must-read interview with Noel. I could probably bold/quote the entire thing, frankly. Dude is just the king..

OMG that was great. This was my favorite part, mostly because I'm watching the U.S. X-Factor. I had only seen clips of auditions of the Brit version so I really didn't understand how the show worked until I watched the U.S. version. I laughed out loud at this quote.

You recently turned down the opportunity to be an X Factor judge. Was there any part of you that was a little bit tempted?

“If they’d asked me to do one show, I might have done it. Just so I could put everybody through — every midget, dwarf, obese f*ckwit, the lot — to the next round. “You’ve all got the f*cking X Factor!” [Laughs] But they wanted me for the full series, and I was like, “You mean I’d have them coming round my house?” No way. I’d have people crying on my couch while I’m telling them, [adopts serious, sombre voice] “It’s been the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make — the Knebworth set list was nothing on this — but… [dramatic pause] You’re in my final four! Now, go and my mow my lawn, you fat c*nt.” [Laughs]”

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Noel Gallagher said:
I don’t know why he’s called Boots and I didn’t think I’d like him, but I f*cking love this cat. I f*cking love him. I keep telling him, “I f*cking love you.”
So good.

Need to get the album ASAP.

Noel Gallagher said:
"Just because you sell lots of records it doesn't mean to say you`re any good. Look at Phil Collins."
Vintage Noel.

Noel Gallagher said:
"Twenty years from now, will we listen to Lady Gaga? No. She might think she is making a stand for the freaks and the weirdos. But they're not going to have any decent f***ing music to play are they?"
Amazing

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
awesome.

Noel Gallagher was always the awesome one, with Liam being the cunt that sounds good.

Thankfully this album seems to sound really good as well.

Meier said:

Man, I love when Noel does interviews because they're just so enjoyable. He could release an entire album of audio interviews and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Eh, I highly doubt them getting back together for some kind of anniversary thing. At least, going off of the tone from what they've been saying about each other in more recent things (didn't noel say something about not even wanting to be in the same room as Liam, even on christmas or something?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom