• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Noel Gallagher's first TWO solo albums (1st out Oct 17)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Funny being able to listen to this side by side with Beady Eye. I know it's been said before, but it becomes immediately obvious what each brought to Oasis.

And it's clear now that it was always Noel's contribution that was the part I loved about them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought it, and its just ok. The songs are good, but Noel just doesn't cut it as a lead singer I think.

Medalion

Banned
Cyan said:
Funny being able to listen to this side by side with Beady Eye. I know it's been said before, but it becomes immediately obvious what each brought to Oasis.

And it's clear now that it was always Noel's contribution that was the part I loved about them.
I think that was always an obvious argument... the classic Oasis albums, aka the first 3 were all written by Noel, but Liam's voice brought those songs to a new level.

I love Noel's songwriting to death, but I get tired after a bit of his attempts to become soft-rock Neil Young all the time... sure a lot of people like that shit, but that's kinda why I dig both Beady Eye and Noel, to balance each other out.
Ying and Yang

And it seems a lot of people prefer one or the other, choosing sides... such a shame really.

Cyan

Banned
Medalion said:
And it seems a lot of people prefer one or the other, choosing sides... such a shame really.
I'd rather have them together, tbh. But if they're going to be apart... well, I have a clear preference. That's all I'm saying. Nothing against Liam and the rest. ;)

the allmusic review brings up a fair point to that effect

allmusic said:
Take the highlights from Beady Eye’s Different Gear, Still Speeding and add them to the highlights from High Flying Birds, and you’ll wind up with a balanced, better record than either individual LPs -- and in a direct competition the elder Gallagher comes up just a little short, as he’s missing anything resembling rock & roll, skimping on quick tempos and loud guitars.

i don't agree that this is worse than beady eye though, based on songwriting alone.

i wonder if anyone's made a mix yet i'd be curious heh

Medalion

Banned
Man... if we combined the talents of Beady Eye and Noel Gallagher, we'd have an amazing band...

Nah...that'll never happen

... :(

Cousteau

Noel doesn't do rock songs or songs with more of an edge anymore. Think he feels a bit weird doing them at this stage in his life. He's a cross between a soft Neil Young and a Pink Floyd imitator with a slice of psychedelia thrown in from time to time.

For what it's worth, the new album that comes out next year is supposed to have a massive amount of guitars.

Medalion

Banned
DiipuSurotu said:
Not with Liam's present voice, no. He sounded pretty bad (overall) on Oasis's last tour.
Oasis' last tour was around 3 years ago

Liam sounds better than ever in studio and even live, I was quite surprised by the turnaround

However I do attribute this to the fact Beady Eye have more breaks between shows

Medalion

Banned
brianjones said:
obviously it's not just one performance though since a lot of people seem to acknowledge it
That hasn't changed since the Oasis days

The fact people are harping on this more is because people are picking sides

I follow Beady Eye and check out their gigs almost weekly and can hear the differences

but you don't have to believe me, if you don't like his voice anymore, fine

But I know he has his good and bad days

Medalion

Banned
Do you follow Beady Eye week to week on youtube listening to their concerts?

If no, then your examples still hold little weight to me.

Cousteau said:
Liam has started doing that really obnoxious thing again where he pulls away from the mic and cutting his words short.

that's because he can't carry the words

he turns them into a violent sneer

Medalion said:
Clearly I know what side of the fence yer on an Oasis reunion.
Paul Gallagher!

Oh man, I was so happy that the thread hadn't devolved into this...
Still loving this album. Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks has really grown on me.

bill0527

I really don't know which side of the fence I'm on.

I just know I'm still a massive Oasis fan, but neither Beady Eye's album nor HFBs has really done it for me.

I listened to Beady Eye's album solid for the first three weeks it was out, but I haven't listened to any of it since and don't really feel the need to. There's nothing really memorable on it for me that I feel the need to go back and listen to again.

HFBs for me, is kind of a slow plodding mid-tempo album. I was trying to explain the album to a friend of mine who is a casual Oasis fan and hadn't heard anything from Noel's album yet. I don't even know how to describe it. It certainly doesn't feel like a rock album to me. Its very orchestral in parts with the strings and choir sections. Its missing a track or two with that classic Oasis wall of noise. There's nothing on this album that makes me want to turn the treadmill up a few notches and pick up the pace. Nothing like a Rock n Roll Star, Lyla, Shock of the Lightning, My Big Mouth, Morning Glory, etc.

Medalion said:
Clearly I know what side of the fence yer on an Oasis reunion.

not sure why this is relevant to the discussion

cigarettes, alcohol, coke and time have caught up with liam's voice.. that's all

if they reuinted id be interested in studio material as i think DOYS was their best album in years.. i dont really need to see slide away live in 2015

bill0527 said:
I listened to Beady Eye's album solid for the first three weeks it was out, but I haven't listened to any of it since and don't really feel the need to. There's nothing really memorable on it for me that I feel the need to go back and listen to again.
My problem with Beady Eye's first album was they didn't go 60's enough. Liam was trying to make it sound very 60's, but it just wasn't there yet, in my opinion.

bill0527 said:
HFBs for me, is kind of a slow plodding mid-tempo album. I was trying to explain the album to a friend of mine who is a casual Oasis fan and hadn't heard anything from Noel's album yet. I don't even know how to describe it.
Noel being Noel?
I suspect we won't likely get anything really uptempo or as powerful as the other songs you listed. Just doesn't seem to be something he's really interested in. Wouldn't mind to see him push his experimenting some more. It's a fairly safe album, but there are glints of promise for future work, assuming he goes in that direction.

Me too, Cyan... Me too...

Fry

It's been on repeat every day for me. Love it, better than Beady Eye's album, which I liked a lot too.

Now both idiots that I love so much should go back at doing music together please.

Medalion

Banned
Noel has pretty much outright said he is not open to an Oasis reunion as long as that means Liam will be there. The only reason he'd do it now would be if he needed the money, but the way things are going, I really don't think that's likely.

Liam's lawsuit I am pretty sure left a bad taste in Noel's mouth in addition to the original reasons they split. Noel is getting more confident being a "frontman" the more he is doing it. So yeah, I am thinking less and less likely of those two collaborating ever again.

Meier

DiipuSurotu said:
Not with Liam's present voice, no. He sounded pretty bad (overall) on Oasis's last tour.
I guess we got lucky on the Chicago stop because he sounded incredible that night (if I recall, it was somewhere around December 12, 2008). Oasis and Ryan Adams.. just phenomenal.

The Beady Eye record is interesting. I didn't care for it much when it was released and I'd listen through.. didn't really stand out. When listening to last.fm though, a single will pop up here and there and I'm like "Yeah.. this is good." "Oh yeah, I like this song," etc. It feels like it's better in pieces than as a whole.

tralfazz

Caught Noel in Philly on Friday. As someone else said, it was a great venue and a killer show. Went in blind to the setlist as extremely happy he busted out Talk Tonight. And yes, Freaky Teeth was great. Was hoping there was an official release.

Opening act was great too, The Hours. Recognized the name but didn't remember how until Ali In The Jungle kicked in.

Piano

Banned
Saw HFB in Boston at the Wang theater last night. Great show even though Noel's not that interesting of a performer. Crowd went absolutely nuts during a few songs and some guy ran on the stage during Don't Look Back in Anger and bowed in front of Noel before getting whisked away by security:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTzPKPelH-U around the 2:10 mark.

The dude two seats down from me was openly smoking a joint the whole night. Ballsy.

Some pictures:
1hBRC.jpg

D7fGw.jpg

1Veam.jpg

ZDgwK.jpg

edit: and relating to the above posts, some guy behind me yelled "FUCK BEADY EYE" a few times.

Seeing Noel tomorrow night in New York. I can't wait.

However, my friend can't go now, so thought I'd see if anyone wanted to buy 1 ticket to the 11/14 gig in New York. I can meet up with you early in the morning in Manhattan or in the evening before the gig to exchange the ticket/money.

Section: ORCH4
Row: S
Price: $73.35 (same as what Ticketmaster charged)

PM me if interested. If this isn't allowed, I'll promptly delete. Thanks.

Medalion

Banned
Piano said:
edit: and relating to the above posts, some guy behind me yelled "FUCK BEADY EYE" a few times.
It's fans like that, that made me for the first time not buy into Noel's solo album right away

Medalion said:
It's fans like that, that made me for the first time not buy into Noel's solo album right away
Don't deprive yourself of good music just because the fans are acting like this is Twilight or something.
No matter how much Noel sparkles.

bill0527

Fuck yes!!

Midwest Dates just announced at NoelGallagher.com

28th March - WASHINGTON, Warner Theatre
29th March - COLUMBUS, LC Pavilion
31st March - DETROIT, Royal Oak Music Theatre
01st April - CHICAGO, The Riviera
03rd April - MILWAUKEE, Pabst Theater
04th April - INDIANAPOLIS, Egyptian Room
06th April - ATLANTA, Tabernacle

I'll either be going to Indy or Atlanta. I'm actually surprised he'd come back to Indy since his cab driver damn near got him killed many years ago.

Detroit and Milwaukee have pre-sales for members of NoelGallagher.com

Rest of the dates have tickets go on sale at 10am local time at the venue on Friday Nov. 18th.

Meier

Still crossing my fingers for something in Texas! I updated the tour list in the OP.

Looks like he added Chicago and Milwaukee. The dates posted on Twitter earlier didn't have them which really surprised me (Chicago mostly). The Riv has GA.. fuck, I wanna goooooo.

Cousteau

For what it's worth, the new album that comes out next year is supposed to have a massive amount of guitars.

Medalion said:
The 2nd High Flying Birds is supposed to be crazy spacey psychadelic shit, not necessarily rockier...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drum...s-guitars-gear-and-high-flying-birds-512993/3

"There's 10 original songs on it. It's not an electronic record; it's a psychedelic rock record. Ironically, as there's not a lot of guitars on the current record, there's possibly too many on the next. There's a lot of guitars, with various guitar players doing a myriad of styles. Some of it's heavy jazz."

bill0527

Got my Limited Edition LP in the mail today.

Shipping was faster than I thought. From Great Britain to southern Indiana in 7 days.

Its going in a massive frame on my wall in my music room.

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Medalion

Banned
Finally, HMV called me saying my deluxe edition CD for HFB has come in... gotta stop by tomorrow and bask in the goodness

bill0527

Meier said:
Whoa, that's awesome! Congrats man.

Love those pictures bill.

If Noel Gallagher has been wrong about everything he's ever said in public, the one thing that he's said right is that there is something romantic about holding an actual LP.

When I first started listening to music around age 3, everything was Vinyl and 8-track. I had one helluva record collection when I was a kid. No idea where any of my old records are at. I've moved probably 15 times and lost everything over the years. CDs came out when I was a teenager. I probably haven't purchased a LP record in 25 years until this one.

Just holding this thing is awesome. Holding all the pictures and photography, the size of it, the actual album in my hands is all pretty cool. I really miss those days. I haven't purchased an actual CD in years either. I buy everything digitally, so holding this is a pretty nice nostalgia rush for me.

Medalion

Banned
Finally got the deluxe 2 disc version of HFB

It has the DVD making of the album

and 2 bonus tracks on the album which include Let the Lord Shine A Light On Me and The Good Rebel

I am a tad dissapointed it didn't have A Simple Game of Genius... I know that one is on iTunes but I wanted a lossless copy of the song without the itunes compression scheme.

And this will probably be the last CD printed album from Noel and Liam because supposedly the CD format will be discontinued in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom