• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Noel Gallagher's first TWO solo albums (1st out Oct 17)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that is why he continues to play his Oasis songs with this new band, despite he won't call them his band yet.

He does not get to speak of how the other band members feel about the fans... and to callously say he wouldn't form the band even if a bunch of people, children, depended on it, never because he hates his former bandmates that much and doing stuff for fans was never anywhere in his equation.

I agree, they couldn't retop themselves, but to say it in the ways that he did was just cold and unprofessional.

I don't have a problem with Noel playing those songs since he wrote them. I don't think anyone would hold it against Beady Eye for playing Hung in a Bad Place or Songbird, instead the guy is playing Rock n Roll Star at gigs and Wonderwall at the Olympics. To me that's weird.

Noel can be a dick, especially when the topic of Liam comes up. I sort of laughed when Noel said "not for all the starving children in the world." He's known for these hyperbolic statements.

But anyway, Noel's riding high on the success of his solo, he's probably feeling right smart for leaving Oasis. Liam, on the other hand, is getting peppered with criticism about Beady Eye's middling success and his singing at the Olympics. Smart money is on Noel giving Liam the bird for as long as his solo success continues.

Medalion

Banned
You've clearly got his back no matter what he says or does. Music genius trumps everything, I get it.
I hope for your sake, your fave artist never lets you down, cuz it doesn't feel good to feel the way I do lately with him.

Personally I just listen to the music, I don't care about the actual people and what they do or say outside of music. (I feel the same about Amy Winehouse and Peter Doherty.)

Meier

You've clearly got his back no matter what he says or does. Music genius trumps everything, I get it.
I hope for your sake, your fave artist never lets you down, cuz it doesn't feel good to feel the way I do lately with him.

Cloudlike's avatar is gone but I think it was Liam in it giving the two-finger salute for years and years. I don't think he has the Noel dog in the fight necessarily -- he's just viewing it from a neutral perspective. In that regard, Noel obviously is the "winner." He's still selling out arenas in the UK whereas Beady Eye are playing theatres/clubs there and clubs in the US (where Noel is selling out theatres).

I'd of course love a reunion some day but no real rush. It'll be that much sweeter if it's 10 years from now.

So what happened to that second album?

Noel ever going to get to work on that follow up to High Flying Birds?

Edit: Answered my own question:

“I’ve still got the songs I did with [dance group] Amorphous Androgynous, but the moment has gone now with that. Because it was written and recorded in the studio in a rather psychedelic manner, I’m currently in the process of trying to work out how to play the f**king things on the guitar.

“But I’m not doing anything with any great enthusiasm at the minute.

“I know i’ll probably do it [the new album] with [producer] Dave Sardy, I’ll probably do some of it in America. Other than that I’ve not really thought about it.”

http://www.gigwise.com/news/81390/noel-gallagher-has-no-enthusiasm-for-writing-new-material

Meier

2014NoelGallagher_Press_131014.jpg

Time for a bump! The second album (the collaboration with Amorphous Androgynous) that was announced alongside the first one was obviously scrapped but we now have a date for the second release from Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds: March 2nd, 2015. The new album will be entitled Chasing Yesterday. Rather than continue his work with Dave Sardy, the album has been produced by Noel himself and there's a little more discussion into this in the Q&A that I've linked below.

Track listing
  1. "Riverman"
  2. "In the Heat of the Moment" (November 17, 2014)
  3. "The Girl with X-Ray Eyes"
  4. "Lock All the Doors" (excerpts from this appeared in Chemical Brothers' "Setting Sun")
  5. "The Dying of the Light" (Recorded from a sound check and put online as "It Makes Me Want to Cry" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjAEniinynQ. Final version is not acoustic and far more "grandiose")
  6. "The Right Stuff"
  7. "While the Song Remains the Same"
  8. "The Mexican"
  9. "You Know We Can't Go Back"
  10. "Ballad of the Mighty I" ft. Johnny Marr (January 12, 2015)
Noel did a Q&A at Facebook today and they've posted a video of the first part here: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=725017534239342&set=vb.137619119645856&type=2&theater (second to follow).

Piano

Banned
March 2015? Shit that's far away.
I agree with Bill. The song is, like, fine. I'm a sucker for Noel's music though, so fuck it I'll take anything.

Meier

March 2015? Shit that's far away.
I agree with Bill. The song is, like, fine. I'm a sucker for Noel's music though, so fuck it I'll take anything.

I'm only half listening to the Q&A since it's been a busy day at work today, but I believe he said he's been done with it since the World Cup final! It's definitely complete now though... I suppose the wait is solely related to when the tour could come off.

Nice bump. Can't wait for DC and/or Philly tour dates.

Like the song a lot, remembering back to when TDOYAM was our first taste of a first HFB album and I'll take this new one instead.

Really interested to hear track #10 especially as the next single.

Is weird now we're in a period where this song will be out for a while but isn't an official single for another month. Maybe that's when the video will hit, I guess.

Ric Flair

Banned
His first solo album sounded more adventurous than anything Oasis had done the past..well, forever really. It was refreshing to hear him try something other than a song you could've heard in the early 70s

I'm excited to hear this one

Sure some/most of you might have a similar collection, but, this is my box downstairs. Don't need to get it out much anymore with mp3s, but, I like having it around. I've only kept a couple of the casettes we used to do passing around a.m.o back in the day.

Most of these are CDrs, so, don't get too excited. Have 20 or 30 silver pressed in there along with the official releases/singles and some promos, international singles, etc.

OIQ0Ov2l.jpg

Thanks. Reminds me of the Beady Eye Four Letter Word video a little. Less acid burns.

Anyway, will sound really different live, so, that'll be interesting.

Noel still hasn't learned how to put together a track-list for the main album. Much like the earlier Oasis albums, the best songs in his first solo album were the b-sides.

A Simple Game of Genius is mindblowingly good and should've been the album-closer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_6aO8gpN9c&channel=DoctorStrangelove80

Love the Pink-Floyd vibe of Let The Lord Shine a Light on Me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqKiSzFXY4&channel=NoelGallagherTV

And the jazzy Alone on the Rope, this is unlike Noel has anything done before, would love for him to continue in this direction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYA32OjPHgI&channel=mdesmit89

Piano

Banned
I agree, A Simple Game of Genius and Alone on a Rope were two of my absolute favorites from the first album.

The album came out at a really tough time in my life and I really loved A Simple Game of Genius, particularly, for being able to take me away for seven beautiful minutes. It was my most played track for a spell.

Meier

Another song from the album (with music video) released today:
Ballad of the Mighty I

my thoughts: ehhhhhh. song doesn't seem to know what it wants to be

First time I listened.. non-plussed to say the least. Second time, I dug it more. First time was on rdio and maybe the sound mix was a little off or something.. it seemed a little too blah. Second time was on Youtube and it had a little more punch oddly enough and that helped the feel of the song. I agree though, it's kind of all over the map in terms of its structure.

You think so? That's pretty high praise considering how damn good the first album was. Nice avatar! :)

Absolutely. I'm a fan - as you've noticed :) - and this is just a beautiful piece of work. These three new tracks all are great and a real encourager for the new record. The last one was great, but I was hoping he'd veer more into the sound he got with What A Life and he's certainly doing that so far this time round.

Meier

Yes, keep bumping this thread til infinity... That remix of Mighty I is a damn fine piece of work, by the way.

The NME have published a short track-by-track preview. Which likely includes a laughable mis-reading of a lyric in The Dying Of The Light,

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/...yesterday-first-listen-track-by-track-preview

These days, Noel Gallagher’s almost – almost – as renowned for his ferociously dry sense of humour as he is for massive canon of stadium-filling anthems. Sounding off in interviews about Ed Sheeran, Alex Turner, the weird artifice of ‘90s music videos and everything in between, it’s a side of him that’s celebrated alongside his music: the sharp-tongued truth-teller whose comments on the state of modern music are as funny as his songs are infectious. He’s a funny guy, Noel – which makes you wonder whether the title of his latest solo album, ‘Chasing Yesterday’, is a bit of a sly joke, poking fun at his detractors.

As I wrote back in November, when the album’s arena-ready lead single ‘In The Heat Of The Moment’ dropped, the 47-year-old has gone from ‘Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants’ to living in one’s inescapable shadow: wherever he goes, whatever he does, it’s inevitably measured against his seismic achievements in Oasis. Nothing he does as a solo artist, his critics argue, could possibly match up. He’s clinging on to glory days that are long over. Living in the past. Chasing yesterday.

The more you listen to ‘Chasing Yesterday’ though, the more brilliantly tongue-in-cheek this title seems, because this is Noel at his most forward-thinking yet, striding confidently into exciting new territory. Alright, so it’s not Flying Lotus. But it does see the former Oasis chief stretch the desert gaze of his 2011 solo debut into strange noir sleaze, soul-filled psych in the vein of classic Primal Scream and horns right out of the Rolling Stones' ‘Bitch’ school of strutting brass. The official NME review drops in the middle of February so look out for that. Until then, here’s a track-by-track preview…

’The Riverman’
Noel's already described this opener as “summoned from a smoky room in 1963... It's fucking amazing. It's my favourite track on the album, and one of my favourites I've ever done." Sure enough, it’s a swampy treasure full of lusting lyrics (“there’s something in the way she moves me to distraction”) and acoustic jangles that simmers towards a saxophone solo climax like something out of a murky detective movie montage.

’In The Heat Of The Moment’
You’ve heard this one. This lead single still sounds as big as it did in November 2014, going for the indie-rock-sing-along jugular with a chorus so huge Noel probably had to apply to his local council for planning permission.

‘The Girl with X-Ray Eyes’
A howling, melancholic epic with massive echoes of ‘Hotel California’, with typically Noel lyrics: “she swallowed space and time… she shot me to the sun, like a bullet from a gun.” Cinematic and sprawling, it’s not unlike 2011 single ‘If I Had A Gun’.

’Lock All The Doors’
Oasis die-hards are going to go nuts for this one. Gallagher first started working on the track 23 years ago. Its ‘Be Here Now’-era fizz of guitars are more than worth the wait here, powering to a stomping adrenaline-packed finale.

’The Dying Of The Light’
The pace drops for this “grandiose… uplifting and beautiful track,” as Noel described it to NME in November. “Woke up stinking on a train that was bound for Norway,” Gallagher sings over maudlin piano. “I tried my best to get there but I can’t afford the bus fare.”

’The Right Stuff’
You know that strutting brass I mentioned? This jazzy, lightly psychedelic jam is the album’s most far-out moment, full of crazed stabs of saxophone, bluesy distorted guitar and drugged grooves. “Are you the devil with a heart of gold?” asks Noel, bolstered by female backing singers.

’While The Song Remains The Same’
Opening with a Brian Eno-ish synth odyssey, this is another Sergio Leone spaghetti western soundtrack killer, like ‘The Riverman’. “We can dance beneath the fire flies on an empty road,” suggests Noel over a shuffling beat and spooky guitar echoes.

’The Mexican’
“You need love just like a kid on crack,” booms Noel over cowbell and Josh Homme-inspired riff, “I got a feeling that what I want is holding you back.” A sleazy LSD-fuelled ‘60s freak-out.

’You Know We Can’t Go Back’
Sparkling guitars chime over airy synths before – what’s this?! – a four minute blast of Springsteen pop-rock, unfurled over breathless drums. The album’s cheeriest moment, Noel sounds like he’s having a tonne of fun, swapping swagger for buoyant, celebratory melodies. “Maybe I believe in magic love, find it in the moon and stars above,” he cries.

’Ballad of The Mighty I’
You’ll have heard this one too. An emphatic closer, driven by a sinister bass line, over which guest guitarist Johnny Marr slings crunching chords, its strings and determined chorus calls (“yes I’ll find you!”) make for an intriguing finale.

Waiting for this damn thing has been a killer. The Japanese release is in less than three weeks time...

Heard the album today. First indications are that it's streets ahead of the 1st album in both production and songs full stop. Riverman, The Dying Of The Light, While The Song Remains the Same, The Right Stuff and Mighty I are all pieces of beauty.

jesu

Not a big fan of that The Ballad Of The Mighty I(can't hear Johnny Marr either)
But I do like the remix, I love Beyond The Wizards Sleeve.

Leak occurred last night. I'm trying wait for the official release. Many of the reviews I read on the live4ever forum have been overwhelmingly positive.

Cyan

Banned
Leak occurred last night. I'm trying wait for the official release. Many of the reviews I read on the live4ever forum have been overwhelmingly positive.

Isn't that a bit like assuming The Order will be good because the people who rushed to get it early are posting mostly positive impressions? :p

MadFerIt

Isn't that a bit like assuming The Order will be good because the people who rushed to get it early are posting mostly positive impressions? :p

I've listened to it, couldn't wait (I have both physical and digital copies preordered).

It may be only my opinion, but it is far far ahead of the last album.. Just the grooves this thing has (not to mention many a guitar solos that were missing from the last) puts it miles ahead.

I've listened to it, couldn't wait (I have both physical and digital copies preordered).

It may be only my opinion, but it is far far ahead of the last album.. Just the grooves this thing has (not to mention many a guitar solos that were missing from the last) puts it miles ahead.

Absolutely. I don't know how much Noel has been paying Dave Sardy all these years, but on this evidence, he's been pissing his money right up the wall.

Meier

I have not yet listened to the leak -- undecided if I will wait. I never really download torrents or anything these days since I just wait for it to come out and stream it on rdio. We'll see if I can hold out! Great to hear that folks are loving it though.

I have not yet listened to the leak -- undecided if I will wait. I never really download torrents or anything these days since I just wait for it to come out and stream it on rdio. We'll see if I can hold out! Great to hear that folks are loving it though.

It's only two weeks away! Hold out for better audio quality!

liquidtmd

Banned

High praise. Everybodys On The Run, Record Machine (and Simple Game of Genius from the sessions) are a few of my greatest Noel tracks and lord knows I've been a devotee since '94.

I see that as a cohesive whole the album could have been improved. Very curious now.

EDIT: Appreciate Record Machine predates the album by a fair way, just its inclusion gets a mention

give it a spin today, not impressed. Very samey overall.
I like You Know We Can't Go Back and In the Heat of the Moment, but nothing else really stood out.

give it a spin today, not impressed. Very samey overall.
I like You Know We Can't Go Back and In the Heat of the Moment, but nothing else really stood out.

hmm that's worrisome. Do you prefer the first NGHFB album?

On an Oasis-related note, I happened to listen to Let's All Make Believe today. It'd been a while since I listened to the track. Man, sometimes I forget what a fantastic vocal Liam put down. Powerful, loud, and confident. Performances like that remind me that Liam is my favorite rock n' roll singer of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-xOkHtHRg

And live the man just killed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgvFbIh29y8

jambo

The Right Stuff is my favourite, followed by Ballad of the Mighty I, In The Heat of the Moment, Rivermand and While the Song Remains the Same.

Hell, the whole thing is great!

Ristlager

As a massive oasis fan, this album still grows on me. Was a bit meh in the beginning, but after a week I now reckon it's a good album. Perhaps missing a couple of classics. I know we can't go back is by far my favourite, perhaps the best song he has written in a long time. Just pure energy all the way. Compared to the last album I don't find it that much better, but I rather enjoyed the last one as well, it was just horrible produced.
Do the damage should have replaced the Mexican. But that's an easy fix...

Piano

Banned
After one listen through:
More consistent in quality than the first album but nothing, so far, that I like as much as Record Machine, A Simple Game of Genius or I'd Pick You Every Time.

I mean, I loved Record Machine so much back in 2011 that I arranged it for my college a cappella group. None of them had ever heard of Noel Gallagher.
edit: link, because you guys might care.

New album is great stuff. Probably took me a few listens to figure out the groove he's going for and how everything fits together as it seems massively different than album #1. But, listening to it this morning as I clean the house with the kids and it's fantastic. (Dad rock, indeed!)

Though I think it says something about me (or maybe the album) that my favorite track is Lock All the Doors. And second might be Do the Damage which didn't even make it. Still think everything else is very solid though and can't wait for the DC show in June.

Edit: happy release day! iTunes unlocked about 11:15pm EST for me Monday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom