• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Noel Gallagher's first TWO solo albums (1st out Oct 17)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

I saw Noel in concert last time he was touring and I really enjoyed it, it was the 5th time I've seen him three times with Oasis and twice with his band. I am going to pick up his new album and hopefully he will come to a city close by.

Liked the album. My favorites in no particular order:

Riverman
In the Heat of the Moment
The Mexican
You Know We Can't Go Back
Ballad of the Mighty I

I've listened to it a few times today. The album is decent, but certainly not worthy of the ridiculous levels of hype I've been seeing poured over it for the last few months.

Meier

I've listened to it a few times today. The album is decent, but certainly not worthy of the ridiculous levels of hype I've been seeing poured over it for the last few months.

Clever user name. Is it a new one? I figure something like this would have stood out to me in 7+ years. You can never stop hype when someone or something who is beloved makes a new thing. :)

I managed to not listen to anything leaked on Youtube before the official releases, so I'd only heard the two singles. And I was hoping for something completely different sounding, like In the Heat of the Moment, Ballad of the Mighty I and Do the Damage. So initially I was a bit disappointed. But it's really growing on me. There's a style of song for every type of Noel fan on the album.

Finally got to listen all the way through the album, and I love it!

I wasn't sure what to expect for the sophomore solo album, but it was really solid. I don't believe there was a single song on it that didn't strike my fancy. I hope he keeps the momentum going for as long as he can. Another regular on my listening rotation, Noel!

Dylan

I like it. Favourite song right now is "Girl with X-Ray Eyes".

Much like his last album, I'll probably end up enjoying these songs much more once they have stepped away from the album proper. For example, live versions, etc.

I'm really, really bummed I missed the ticket sale for Toronto. I went to his performance at Massey hall during the last tour, and it was fantastic.

A bunch of strangers got pissed together in the basement, and someone started a singalong of "half the world away" in the men's room. Pure magic.

Seeing Noel in Chicago in a few months. Can't wait!

Hey me too!

Really dont like how Noel changed "Dying of the light" on this album from the demo thats been floating around for years now. Still really enjoying the album, overall though I think the first album has better songs.

I like the album. Better than the first. I listened to HFB 1 for about 6 months solid and don't think I've listened to it since. I think this one will have a longer shelf life for me personally.

I had the same experience too actually. I found the production on the first album to be very bland. The songs, despite being good lost their intimate touch because of how over polished they were. Those songs got a second wind of life from me after their demos were released (the faster than the speed of Magic dvds).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3S6zmjf-hE

dazed808

Loving the album so far and as always with NG's stuff the b-sides and demos are worth checking out. Leave my guitar alone (Japan release bonus track) is his most blatant Beatles rip off for years but is a fun little track ala Bonehead's Bank Holiday.

This blog is my goto for all NG and Oasis related stuff....... http://rkid003.blogspot.co.uk/

Just bought Philly tickets. So now plan is go north, go to show, drive home to Virginia, go to show, crash. Can't wait. My birthday (37grumble) is only a couple days later.

GoxRx

I like a lot this new album. My favorites songs are The girl with x-ray eyes and Riverman. Dying of the light is also beautiful.

Good job Noel

The good thing about this album is there seems to be way more varitey when it comes to peoples favourites, everyone seems to have a different selection of songs. mine are The Right stuff, dying of the light and you know we cant go back.

Meier

Anyone know if every 7" of The Ballad of the Mighty I is this gorgeous pink one? Imports are available for very inexpensive ($10 or so shipped) on Amazon..

11043240_804614259613002_471050396637311011_n.jpg

Speaking of the Paris gig, keep an eye on places like L4E cause there should be some decent Paris recordings floating around very soon. There's a web rip out now that's great.

After 20 years of dealing with this stuff, I can't deal with audience recordings anymore so I'm glad to finally get at least close to a great soundboard.

liquidtmd

Banned
Speaking of the Paris gig, keep an eye on places like L4E cause there should be some decent Paris recordings floating around very soon. There's a web rip out now that's great.

After 20 years of dealing with this stuff, I can't deal with audience recordings anymore so I'm glad to finally get at least close to a great soundboard.

Amen brother - rough link / clues for location of the webrip you mention>?

Yep the gig was recorded by the French-German TV channel 'Arte HD'.

liquidtmd

Banned
This year is already too good for music, but could it get even better with a reunion...?

Who knows

As much as I love Oasis (and I do), I honestly don't want a reunion to happen at present. Give me another couple of years with Noel doing Solo Albums. Listening to some of the recordings in Oasis' last stages (Itunes festival stands out) Liams attitude was...it went beyond his usual loveable oaf-ishness. He was genuinely obnoxious and aggressive to Noel onstage and indeed the audience and frankly, it doesn't wash anymore.

I like Liam, his contribution will go down in history and heck even the two Beady Eye albums were pretty good but listening to Noel solo - I don't really feel I'm missing out on anything he (Liam) can offer (and I have a lot of time for late stage Oasis creative output - i.e. Dig Out Your Soul).

Maybe it's a getting old thing. I grew up with the band. I'm 32 and Maine Road in '96 was my first 'big' gig out. But I've two small daughters now and now in my free time I just want to hear and get absorbed in the music - the drama of Liam is just tiresome and the prospect of going to see Liam once more is not something I wish to relive.

This year is already too good for music, but could it get even better with a reunion...?

Who knows

I do miss Liam's voice on Noel's albums. I think in the studio he still can add something to a song that Noel just doesn't have.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm loving the new album.

liquidtmd

Banned
Liam's personal life would make for a great movie. Bonkers.

Yeah maybe, but after so long and especially when it affects performances you just start to lose interest. I went to Wembley in 2000 to see them, think it was a Saturday and it was being broadcast live on Sky One. He'd just split from Patsy Kensit and was absolutely hammered, the gig was attrocious vocally (bar Noels bits natch) and only made good through the people I met in the crowd.

I think after that gig Sky One vowed never to broadcast a gig as live / no delay again, though my memories hazy. Whilst that probably would make a good movie now and 15 years ago it was amusing, I want to be given at least a tiny bit of respect as an audience member these days and as mentioned earlier, judging by live recordings from 2009 it sounds like Liam wasn't willing to do that even then.

Agree with his antics and overall vocal performance being shit then and looking back; even more so now. His unwillingness to learn from his past mistakes is tragic and comical though. He really appears to be a monkey sometimes. That behavior and story could work on the big screen.

I do miss Liam's voice on Noel's albums. I think in the studio he still can add something to a song that Noel just doesn't have.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm loving the new album.

Me too. Lock All the Doors is made for him. Same as Full On. And Lord Don't Slow Me Down was so much better with Liam.

But ultimately, he's a complete nob and will never change.

Ristlager

It was Noel that spilt from them, so that they would follow Noel wasn't on the table.

The album is a grower, was a bit down on it in the beginning, but now it feels like a really solid album. Swap the Mexican with do the damage, and the album is one of the better ones from Noel (as an oasis member and solo).

I went down a rabbit hole last night of watching Paris videos of Noel to watching some old official Oasis videos to watching There and Then in its entirety. God I wore out the VHS on that and Live by the Sea when those came out.

liquidtmd

Banned
It was Noel that spilt from them, so that they would follow Noel wasn't on the table.

The album is a grower, was a bit down on it in the beginning, but now it feels like a really solid album. Swap the Mexican with do the damage, and the album is one of the better ones from Noel (as an oasis member and solo).

I hear you on that. Or just have included Do The Damage on the Album period - as a gig opener it's a stellar track and he must see the value in it to use it as such. Why relegate it off album?
I've given up asking that question with Noel Gallagher ever since Acquiesce though

Ristlager

I hear you on that. Or just have included Do The Damage on the Album period - as a gig opener it's a stellar track and he must see the value in it to use it as such. Why relegate it off album?
I've given up asking that question with Noel Gallagher ever since Acquiesce though

We are talking about a man putting: round are way, the masterplan and the swampsong as b-sides on one single...

I went down a rabbit hole last night of watching Paris videos of Noel to watching some old official Oasis videos to watching There and Then in its entirety. God I wore out the VHS on that and Live by the Sea when those came out.

Haha me too! My VHS tapes were all jumpy from the amount I watched them as a kid

liquidtmd

Banned
Can anyone hook me up with a working link / download of the Noel Paris Zenith gig recording that was broadcast earlier this month please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom