• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective GAF uncovers evidence of imminent Nintendo Direct as soon as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
jgFpwxB.png

It's adorable to believe that it would sell that much considering everybody would buy the Switch version anyway.
There literally won't be enough Switches to support what a Pokémon game would normally sell at that point. I think there could be something on both systems, but maybe they are different games.

It's adorable to believe that it would sell that much considering everybody would buy the Switch version anyway.

By that logic they should've made Pokemon X/Y on the DS. 120 milllion+ userbase. Also that's not how it works.

What weird argument are you trying to make here? X/Y came out more than two years into the 3DS' life... Stars would be releasing within the first year of Switch's release. A year in which Nintendo is not only actively releasing software for 3DS, but also releasing new revisions. Is this a copypasta?

By that logic they should've made Pokemon X/Y on the DS. 120 milllion+ userbase. Also that's not how it works.

Black 2 and White 2 already came out on DS a year after the 3DS was released. At some point you have to move on to the next system or risk fans rioting. We should be happy they are even supporting the Switch this early on, tbh.

Also, the Switch probably won't even be 10 million units in by the time Stars comes out. Major Pokemon games are ~15 million sellers these days, and that happens on a system with a 65+ million install base. Nintendo and GameFreak would seriously cap sales by limiting it to Switch only.

My final point: Whether Stars is a Switch only game or a cross-gen game, the amount of Switches sold will be the same - whatever Nintendo can produce. People will be buying Switches this holiday already for Mario. A Pokemon game, exclusive or not, is just going to make demand outpace supply that much more.

What weird argument are you trying to make here? X/Y came out more than two years into the 3DS' life... Stars would be releasing within the first year of Switch's release. A year in which Nintendo is not only actively releasing software for 3DS, but also releasing new revisions. Is this a copypasta?

It's kind of weird to expect a new Pokemon game that has to be on two completely different platforms that would require basically two different games being made. That's way more work than it should to be making a third version of a game on a dying platform. There's not a whole lot of incentive to be making another 3DS Pokemon even with it's 66 million userbase because everybody is focused on the Switch at this point. A Pokemon game on Switch would be huge in of itself because you can market it as the first Pokemon game on a home console. It would give a reason for a third version to exist which historically, have always been pointless in the grand scheme of things. Gaf has got to learn to get over that there's more to games getting made besides userbase. Yes the 3DS has sold lots but it's also at the end of its life and sales have slowed down significantly. The Switch has seen huge growth and Stars could end up having huge legs for years considering it's releasing within the first year of a system. Not to mention the only rumor of this game pins it as being Switch exclusive. So I'm like 95% sure Stars is exclusive to the Switch. Could be wrong but quote me when the game is announced and I'll end up being right.

AColdDay

Random thought: I wonder if they'll ever Remake Gen 1 again.

How a HD version of that would do today? So much nostalgia for the original 151.

I know that people who play a lot of Pokemon hate this idea, but as someone who only really played the original Gameboy game back in the day, I wish they would.

I tried Pokemon X and I struggled to get into it because I was unfamiliar with the seven billion new pokemon and I couldn't keep track of all the new mechanics and weakness types. I was having to reference a website on my phone for every battle and it just wasn't very fun to play it that way.

Zedark

Black 2 and White 2 already came out on DS a year after the 3DS was released. At some point you have to move on to the next system or risk fans rioting. We should be happy they are even supporting the Switch this early on, tbh.

Also, the Switch probably won't even be 10 million units in by the time Stars comes out. Major Pokemon games are ~15 million sellers these days, and that happens on a system with a 65+ million install base. Nintendo and GameFreak would seriously cap sales by limiting it to Switch only.

My final point: Whether Stars is a Switch only game or a cross-gen game, the amount of Switches sold will be the same - whatever Nintendo can produce. People will be buying Switches this holiday already for Mario. A Pokemon game, exclusive or not, is just going to make demand outpace supply that much more.
Third versions aren't quite to that degree, though (except Yellow). Still, Game freak will probably want to release on 3DS as well, and I only think Stars Switch exclusive is possible if Nintendo put work into persuading GF that Switch is their future and they will want to invest in that (which I don't think is impossible, the return of the third version in itself would be a notable development, so who knows if Nintendo had a hand in realising that as well). Eh, we'll see as time passes how this episode plays out.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I know that people who play a lot of Pokemon hate this idea, but as someone who only really played the original Gameboy game back in the day, I wish they would.

I tried Pokemon X and I struggled to get into it because I was unfamiliar with the seven billion new pokemon and I couldn't keep track of all the new mechanics and weakness types. I was having to reference a website on my phone for every battle and it just wasn't very fun to play it that way.

Sun/Moon added some stuff to make these kinds of mechanics more accessible to the player in the game and lessening how much you have to lean on outside resources if you're not already a seasoned Pokémon player. That said, I definitely understand your complaint. I've played most of the Pokémon games some amount and I still get a bit overwhelmed by everything. I haven't played S/M yet, so I can't say how the new features improved my experience, if at all.

JoeM86

Difference is that Stars would be in the Pokémon generation of Sun & Moon and is an offshoot of those games, not a new Pokémon generation.

I know how it works.

New Pokémon sell games.

PLUS, when you first played the original games, you didn't know the types or what they did or what the mechanics were back then either.

Zedark

I don't see Pokemon happening this year if the Switch has stock issues.
It might not need a pokémon to keep selling out, but I doubt Nintendo would want to risk having a lull in sales as that might damage the Switch' perception as a powerful sales machine and as a result seem less promising for third parties to invest in. I think they will put out the pokémon game if it is ready (and real, thou I trust Eurogamer know what they're talking about).

I don't see Pokemon happening this year if the Switch has stock issues.

I think Nintendo would be happy if the Switch was sold out for a full year like the Wii was, so I think they need to kinda go overkill with the games.

They seem to have the capacity to produce 16 million units between this past April and next April, so hopefully they can capitalize well on the demand despite it being constantly sold out.

You do know if they remade the Gen 1/2 games, they would more than likely have a lot of the newer Pokémon, types, and mechanics.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What I dont understand is when Pokemon would release if its this year. So far Nintendo is keeping with one big title per month and Mario already has November on lock which is when Pokemon games usually release.

DNAbro

It's kind of funny with the recent focus Nintendo has put on 3DS/2DS, seeing the Pokemon Stars opinions move from "This is Switch exclusive", to "it will be on both", and even seeing some "it will be 3DS exclusive" is kind of funny.

It's going to come to Switch. I don't know why that's so hard to believe over it coming to 3DS. I really do think the optimal solution is to release it for Switch and New 3DS/New 2DS XL.

This way those who are ready for the console experience can buy the Switch version and it will push sales. It will push sales for the New 2DS XL. Also, maybe people won't want to pay for online yet then they can get it on the New 3DS like.

Then next year they will have a fully built mainline Pokémon game for the Switch there on out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
X/Y came out in October, IIRC.

Looks like youre right. That takes care of the release date dilemma

Arms in June
Splatoon 2 in July
Fire Emblem Warriors in August
Mario & Rabbids RPG in September
Pokemon Stars in October
Mario Odyssey in November
Xenoblade 2 in December

sinonobu

Banned
I think it's going to be New 3ds / Switch exclusive leaving out the old 3ds.

The regular 3ds suffered running Sun&Moon, and I fully expect this game to add new features like bringing back some features like Walking Pokemon. OG 3ds won't be able to run the game.

DNAbro

Arms in June
Splatoon 2 in July
Pokemon Stars in October
Xenoblade 2 in December

Damn that's a good line up of games.

Zedark

Arms in June
Splatoon 2 in July
Pokemon Stars in October
Xenoblade 2 in December
I remember seeing FE Warriors was fall 2017 as well, maybe you should interchange FE Warriors and Rabbids?

I think it's going to be New 3ds / Switch exclusive leaving out the old 3ds.

The regular 3ds suffered running Sun&Moon, and I fully expect this game to add new features like bringing back some features like Walking Pokemon. OG 3ds won't be able to run the game.
Yep I 100% agree. They can bring the walking to the New 3DS and whatever else with the new power. It doesn't have to be Switch exclusive because the Switch should be selling out in the holiday, but you still want Pokémon there to make sure that happens.

Damn that's a good line up of games.

This has to be near the top of "best first party lineup of first 9 months" of a console (if it were to happen).

Remember those PRE Switch reveal days?

They're back.

Naw I don't think so. You guys are overreacting by keep repeating that lol. NX was a year and half of rumors, rumors, rumors and all kinds of madness topic after topic. This is only a few weeks thing and that's it.

It's kind of weird to expect a new Pokemon game that has to be on two completely different platforms that would require basically two different games being made. That's way more work than it should to be making a third version of a game on a dying platform. There's not a whole lot of incentive to be making another 3DS Pokemon even with it's 66 million userbase because everybody is focused on the Switch at this point. A Pokemon game on Switch would be huge in of itself because you can market it as the first Pokemon game on a home console. It would give a reason for a third version to exist which historically, have always been pointless in the grand scheme of things. Gaf has got to learn to get over that there's more to games getting made besides userbase. Yes the 3DS has sold lots but it's also at the end of its life and sales have slowed down significantly. The Switch has seen huge growth and Stars could end up having huge legs for years considering it's releasing within the first year of a system. Not to mention the only rumor of this game pins it as being Switch exclusive. So I'm like 95% sure Stars is exclusive to the Switch. Could be wrong but quote me when the game is announced and I'll end up being right.

I'd like to just take a step back and say that I have no personal investment in what platforms Pokemon Stars releases on. Whether it's a Switch exclusive or a 3DS/Switch game will make no difference to me.

The only point I'm trying to make is that there is logic behind the idea that it could be on both. 3DS is not a "dying platform" in Nintendo's eyes this fall. The game is also rumored to be a third version of games that already released on that platform. Based on your own logic, that means it makes the most sense to release on 3DS. If the game were rumored to release in 2018, I wouldn't think twice about it potentially coming to 3DS.

Anyway, as I said above I'm not going to be looking for "credit" if I'm right here. I just wanted to point out that it's not as crazy of an idea as you seem to think it is.

lol.

If fire emblem warriors is big enough to justify being cross gen, then Pokémon sure as heck is.

Whoever said it, I firmly believe at some point we'll either get a remake of gen 1 or another Kanto game. For the nostalgia factor if nowt else.

I know some people want to just move away from Gen 1 entirely, but I'd welcome another remake. Sun/Moon finally adapted an art style and character models that are basically a playable version of the anime. I'd love to re-live those games in the same way that I imagined them as a kid. Give me Silver/Gold remade again tho. They have Kanto anyway.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
they would be mad to release pokemon now, the release schedule with splatoon mario arms zelda and mario kart is fucking stacked for the year.

pokemon would make way more sense next year, they currently cant build enough switches....

True Fire

Whoever said it, I firmly believe at some point we'll either get a remake of gen 1 or another Kanto game. For the nostalgia factor if nowt else.

I agree 100%. 90s nostalgia is so hot right now. They're going to be gunning for old millennials and their children, and a Red/Blue remake is the way to get families on board.

Megatron

The only point I'm trying to make is that there is logic behind the idea that it could be on both. 3DS is not a "dying platform" in Nintendo's eyes this fall. The game is also rumored to be a third version of games that already released on

If that was true, woukdnt it be much easier to buy a 3ds? Nintendo seems to be intentionally witholding inventory for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom