• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sephzilla

Missed my FedEx delivery by about 4 minutes. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to get my physical copy.

VYc6Xwm.gif

MY COPY JUST ARRIVED!! :DD Now I have a dilemma because Batman comes out tomorrow and I want to play both games super bad, hahaha.

Dahbomb

My only hope is that a potential DMC 5 Vergil would be better balanced. DMC 4 SE Vergil seems OP as fuck from these videos.
Vergil is always OP. He was OP in 3SE too.

It's basically a tradition now... like Akuma in SF games.

So how exactly does this work? Just turn on DT for the hit?
There are two mechanics that are going on in play here:

1) Distortion: Distortion is like a some what just frame activation of Devil Trigger on the hit of a strike that gives you a larger than normal damage boost on the attack. Like if you Stinger and then DT on the impact you get a damage boost on the Stinger, the damage boost is higher than if you just did Stinger while in DT. This works on all individual hits in the game so for Vergil it would work on pretty much all of his moves. It's basically a damage multiplier on an attack that requires some timing.

2) Full Steam: That's just a name for when you perfectly release a charged up Gauntlet weapon attack. Dante had this too... as soon as the gauntlet attack charged up you released it (not any time later, right as the flash happens). This is also another timing specific technique and you get a visual/audio queue as to when you should release the attack. This gives a big damage multiplier on the attack that is charged up. This mechanic is also in DmC by the way for more than just the gauntlet weapon with a more pronounced visual effect. In DMC4 this is only available on the gauntlet weapons for Dante and Vergil (unconfirmed whether it applies to Trish or not).

Now the thing is that Full Steam and Distortion MULTIPLICATIVELY stack with each other. So let's say for example Distortion gives a 2x multiplier on an attack and Full Steam also gives a 2x multiplier... then that means if you did a Distorted Full Steam maximum level attack with Beowulf (whatever attack that is chargeable) then that attack will do 4 times the damage vs just doing it without any timing in Devil Trigger mode. Of course these values aren't the exact values but this is the core concept behind what is happening here.

With Dante people used to FS + Distort the Straight punch of Gilgamesh which had the highest single hit damage out of any of Dante's moves. Real Impact used to be used before but Real Impact cannot be Full Steamed as it's not a charge move. So that Straight punch when hit with FS + Distort does more damage than a Distorted Real Impact. It's nickname is in fact the God Fist.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Missed my FedEx delivery by about 4 minutes. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to get my physical copy.

Or just go to the delivery center at 5-7PM and ask them if it's there and if you can sign for it?

Soodanim

Started my pre-load. Created desktop shortcut. Shortcut taunted me. Removed shortcut.

Good info, thanks! I play souls games and fighting games (albeit poorly lol) so hopefully there is some crossover in skillsets.

Ever played something like Guacamelee? Lots of comboing, juggling, dodging, and whatnot. Start with the basics, then slowly expand what works. Soon you'll be pulling off some fancy stuff and appreciating why we're all so happy this exists.

And that's before you play as Vergil.

Namikaze

Before I open my Asian Physical copy..

Does it include the licensed songs from the JPN version?

Do you think the trophies from the Asian Version+US version will be under one set? I got motivated and preordered the game..twice. I kinda don't want two trophy sets for the same game.

TimeInc

On the countdown for my pre order it's saying 1 day 4 hours (UK), does that mean I won't be able to play until Wednesday morning?

Namikaze

Nevermind lol, just decided to boot up my copy. Drink it down plays during the little FMV before you get to the menu (Asian ver.), cool!

So ready to play as Vergil. Everyone else can wait.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If he's still OP in DMD, that'll suck and i will be crying like a bitch for a patch.

Vergil was OP in DMC3 DMD as well. There are separate leader boards and achievements for him, so I don't think it's really a big deal. Itsuno - San wanted him to seem powerful from the start.

I was gifted this, so it looks like I'll be playing through it sometime this summer.

I bought DMC4 and Turok on the day they were released, as Future Shop had a deal where you could get both for $90 new. I got them for $100, because the only had the DMC4 steelbook.

I've made it to the pain in the ass end boss in Turok, but have yet to even touch the DMC4 disc. I guess I won't now.

Ah well, the Remastered version should be better.

I'm quite annoyed that the game doesn't unlock on Steam until 9 AM PST. Why not just make it midnight like everything else? Maybe they'll push it up if enough people complain like Xenoverse did.

Been browsing Nico Nico for some DMC4SE videos, and I'm now halfway through watching Vergil in Bloody Palace.

Learning some useful stuff. Especially with those Judgment Cut timings.

Pappasman

It's a combination of Full Steam and Distortion.

You have to charge the uppercut and do a just frame release (release it the instant it finishes charging) followed by DT on hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNe9J98EaI&list=PL68E670500EB667BB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8hx5licmrM

There are two mechanics that are going on in play here:

1) Distortion: Distortion is like a some what just frame activation of Devil Trigger on the hit of a strike that gives you a larger than normal damage boost on the attack. Like if you Stinger and then DT on the impact you get a damage boost on the Stinger, the damage boost is higher than if you just did Stinger while in DT. This works on all individual hits in the game so for Vergil it would work on pretty much all of his moves. It's basically a damage multiplier on an attack that requires some timing.

2) Full Steam: That's just a name for when you perfectly release a charged up Gauntlet weapon attack. Dante had this too... as soon as the gauntlet attack charged up you released it (not any time later, right as the flash happens). This is also another timing specific technique and you get a visual/audio queue as to when you should release the attack. This gives a big damage multiplier on the attack that is charged up. This mechanic is also in DmC by the way for more than just the gauntlet weapon with a more pronounced visual effect. In DMC4 this is only available on the gauntlet weapons for Dante and Vergil (unconfirmed whether it applies to Trish or not).

Now the thing is that Full Steam and Distortion MULTIPLICATIVELY stack with each other. So let's say for example Distortion gives a 2x multiplier on an attack and Full Steam also gives a 2x multiplier... then that means if you did a Distorted Full Steam maximum level attack with Beowulf (whatever attack that is chargeable) then that attack will do 4 times the damage vs just doing it without any timing in Devil Trigger mode. Of course these values aren't the exact values but this is the core concept behind what is happening here.

With Dante people used to FS + Distort the Straight punch of Gilgamesh which had the highest single hit damage out of any of Dante's moves. Real Impact used to be used before but Real Impact cannot be Full Steamed as it's not a charge move. So that Straight punch when hit with FS + Distort does more damage than a Distorted Real Impact. It's nickname is in fact the God Fist.

This is awesome. I can't wait to finally dig into DMC4.

This gave me a good laugh. Haha.

Anyway, I can't decide whether I should pre-order it today or buy it later on, or wait for a price drop on the physical release. I'd also love to have that classic Lady costume.

I already own the original release on Xbox 360, which I bought around release, though I never finished it. I didn't even get past Nero's stuff. I watched a friend play through the game. Everyone was always hogging my Xbox 360 back then. Hah. I did beat 1, vanilla 3, and DmC Definitive Edition, though.

This gave me a good laugh. Haha.

Anyway, I can't decide whether I should pre-order it today or buy it later on, or wait for a price drop on the physical release. I'd also love to have that classic Lady costume.

I already own the original release on Xbox 360, which I bought around release, though I never finished it. I didn't even get past Nero's stuff. I watched a friend play through the game. Everyone was always hogging my Xbox 360 back then. Hah. I did beat 1, vanilla 3, and DmC Definitive Edition, though.

You need to have at least 5 versions of DMC4 by tomorrow: original console, original PC, one copy of each DMC4:SE version, 6 if you buy the Pizza Box edition, 7 for every version, 9 if you also buy the physical version of DMC4:SE

You need to have at least 5 versions of DMC4 by tomorrow: original console, original PC, one copy of each DMC4:SE version, 6 if you buy the Pizza Box edition, 7 for every version, 9 if you also buy the physical version of DMC4:SE

Well, damn. I better get on that, then! Time to go visit the bank...

Top Bottom