• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

BadWolf

Finally tried the game, finished the first two missions.

Digging Lady so far but nothing much of substance to say yet since had no moves unlocked while playing missions.

Berial is such a joke when fought at range, took him out without taking damage by just firing the regular shots of the handguns.

The rate at which you get red orbs and proud souls definitely feels very different, was already able to get two blue orbs (health gauge) and two purple orbs (DT gauge). Also unlocked the first three levels of the shotgun charge shot. They should do this in DMC5 as well.

Real talk, I know that Vergil has like 20 different things that are OP about him... but he really shouldn't get Concentration meter up so fast by just standing in front of an opponent.

You actually build meter faster if you stand there vs actually attacking.

He's getting motivated :p

Dahbomb

No, I just double checked. I made 5000 power orbs or whatever their called by completing mission 2 with Nero. I made 10000 by dying halfway through with Lady.
You sure the Nero proud souls you acquired didn't get carried over to Lady? Because that's what happens in the game.

Also maybe you get more Souls on harder difficulties as well. Hard to say really.

yeah mission 2 LDK is an easy 30k proud souls. I could unlock the rest of nero's moves + all purple + blue orbs from the store in like an hour tomorrow if I want. so much better than the grind on the original (I used cheats on PC to unlock it all from the start.)

Oh god I'm terrible at this game @_@ That's like 7 years of rust.

In addition to my early question about "can I change the text to English" is there a way to change the lock-on so it's toggle ^^; ?

Veelk

Banned
You sure the Nero proud souls you acquired didn't get carried over to Lady? Because that's what happens in the game.

Also maybe you get more Souls on harder difficulties as well. Hard to say really.

Yes. I started hte level with a couple hundred. I ended with almost 5000. I just died again with Lady. I had 2000 proud souls on mission 2, making it from the beginning to right after you drop the bridge. Now I'm looking at 19500. It's a huge difference. I don't know if it's because you fight way more enemies or because it's a harder difficulty, but it's a goddamn JUMP.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh god I'm terrible at this game @_@ That's like 7 years of rust.

In addition to my early question about "can I change the text to English" is there a way to change the lock-on so it's toggle ^^; ?

If you select English voices, it automatically changes everything to English, including all text. At least, that's how it was for me. I'm playing the Asian version and everything was English the entire way through.

There is no toggle option for lock-on.

Yes. I started hte level with a couple hundred. I ended with almost 5000. I just died again with Lady. I had 2000 proud souls on mission 2, making it from the beginning to right after you drop the bridge. Now I'm looking at 19500. It's a huge difference. I don't know if it's because you fight way more enemies or because it's a harder difficulty, but it's a goddamn JUMP.

It's the enemies. Very easy to keep a SSS going (or get it back immediately if you get hit) and apparently style points are the main contributor for proud souls? plus maybe a difficulty multiplier...i dunno. it's not just straight kills, I don't think.

If you select English voices, it automatically changes everything to English, including all text. At least, that's how it was for me. I'm playing the Asian version and everything was English the entire way through.

There is no toggle option for lock-on.

I'm playing what I strongly believe to be the Asian copy, but it doesn't change the text for me though the voice has become English.

Ah crap, if there no toggle option could i ask what the 3 different lock-on types are ^^; ? The text are in Japanese.

Alastor

Bought. I missed on pre-order costumes but whatever.

Let's party!

20g1e6j.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's not LDK mode, it's every mode now. It's the main change for DMC4SE.

What's funny is that switch between DMC4/SE balance "code" won't let you use the same save or even have different saves for the progress. If you want to use one and then the other, you have to ERASE ALL PROGRESS. It's a bit "WTF" and I hope they make a patch to fix that (IMO) oversight.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm playing what I strongly believe to be the Asian copy, but it doesn't change the text for me though the voice has become English.

Ah crap, if there no toggle option could i ask what the 3 different lock-on types are ^^; ? The text are in Japanese.

You might need to re-create your save. I know at the very start it asks if you want to play in English or Japanese, but I don't see any option to change that after you've created the save.

The three lock-on options are just how it prioritizes targets.

EDIT: Okay, I have a dummy account where I just loaded the game and chose Japanese voices at the start. Everything's in English. I have no idea. I don't know how you got Japanese.

You might need to re-create your save. I know at the very start it asks if you want to play in English or Japanese, but I don't see any option to change that after you've created the save.

The three lock-on options are just how it prioritizes targets.

I switch the options to English in the start up though... Alright I try again.

That final Sanctus fight with Lady is such fucking horseshit at the end. Burned through 2 gold orbs on that mother fucker. Weirdly enough, it still gave me an S rank. Not complaining, though.

Oh well, Lady/Trish campaign is now complete. Shame I only got 19 kills during the credits sequence. But at least that's done. All that's left is to wrap up Vergil in the next couple days then start preparing for the GAF True Style tournament.

Seyavesh

can't wait for that mvc3 trish mod awooga

speaking of trish man she's even weirder than i thought

something about her is actually less intuitive than lady but i can't put my finger on what it is- i'm trying to avoid autopiloting into round trip stuff but it kinda feels like she's built for that

Hellix

Is Legendary Dark Knight mode the hardest difficulty? Does beating that unlock the lower ones (Son of Sparda, Dante Must Die, etc)?

Clawww

my thumbs hurt from pressing square and O because of how insanely effective it is to spam grim trick. shit builds tons of concentration so you just start breezing through everything with damage boost, constant i-frames, and no downtime between attacks.

Vergil is so sick. You can time all kinds of charges together. Thank you Itsuno you God. I haven't tried Lady or Trish yet.

They really need to patch it because the performance isn't as good as vanilla 4. I know it will eventually but it sucks waiting.

Pappasman

Vergil is incredibly fun but I feel like I don't know half of the possibilities with this guy. I tried doing the distortion just release stuff but i kept messing up haha.

What difficulty is everyone playing on for their first run though?
This is my first time playing dmc4 so i just chose devil hunter.

If they're using playable Lady in the future, my main request would be to give her more "gun melee", whether that's in revamping her pistol skillset or using the SMG for it. I want a little more "Equilibrium" in how she handles things, lots of punch-shooting and stylish gun kata counters that aren't even actually ranged attacks despite the fact she's doing them with guns.
I'd be down for Lady's initial jump being a vertical spin move that throws bullets in a circle before, above, and behind her. I love that her double jump is a rocket jump and I love her shotgun stinger and back-flying follow up, now let's give her even more mobility+damage options.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dah: You have a Blue Orb/chunk location guide? I already have the 6 store-bought ones, so that leaves finding the ones I need. Ugh.

Dahbomb

You shouldn't be trying be doing Just releases/Distortions etc on your first time through with Vergil.

Just get a grip with weapon swaps, teleports and summoned swords first time around. Even that is enough.

Next time around is when you start using Perfect Slices with Yamato, Full Steam with Beowulf, Distortions, Round Trip with Force Edge on top of that.

Dah: You have a Blue Orb/chunk location guide? I already have the 6 store-bought ones, so that leaves finding the ones I need. Ugh.
Chunk? We ain't Souls here breh!

In any case the Blue Orb locations from DMC4 should work here.

Alright, with one campaign done, figured I'll give my full thoughts on Lady and Trish, what I enjoyed a lot about them and what I think could be added moving forward in the series.

---

Lady is definitely a good start for a character based entirely around guns, which I've stated before I've always wanted since the gunslinger style was introduced in DMC3. Guns are powerful, and building up charge shots while doing other gun attacks to keep enemies juggled is fairly satisfying. Some of her takes on DMC staple abilities like Air Hike and Devil Trigger are neat and show she's very capable of taking on most of the demons everyone has faced despite not being a demon.

My critiques of it though have to do with the weapon selection all being tools Dante has used already, limited mobility, and how certain functions are handled and mapped to specific inputs. Having her SMG or even some other crazy weapons, not necessarily devil arms but a human made weapon that has a lot utility and crazy functions would be welcome. As for mobility, I can see the keep away, plant yourself in place to shoot aspect was a conscious design decision, but she's still capable of more elaborate acrobatics and feats of maneuverability. Having special moves or animations to emphasize this and are unique to her alone would also help, but I imagine at some point the means to make that necessary would involve making some significant changes to how movement in DMC is handled as a whole. As for her actual inputs, some general things I would like to see added/changed/improved.

- Add some manner of just frame mechanic to Lady. I mentioned before that I would have liked to have seen an active reload type system like Max-Act. Something like pressing an input at a specific moment, such as at the end of an attack when she ejects a clip from her pistols, could cut down on recovery animations and allow for a quick follow up attack of sorts. This wouldn't be for the regular firearm weapon but for the special gun attacks with circle
- Limit the wire action to only the Kalina Ann when it's selected. Granted it needed to be accessed at all times given this game's environments and enemies were designed with Nero's Devil Bringer in mind, but for a future game moving it to just the Kalina Ann would free up an extra trick move for each weapon, as well as some specific air borne trick moves.
- Alter the melee attack to be weapon specific and/or replace it entirely with a melee moveset that is designed to push enemies away and not be slow but powerful. Using melee is obviously not the point with Lady, but getting in a full melee combo in this does do an okay amount of damage. But there could be more interesting melee options per weapon that work to put Lady in a more advantageous situation. The damage she takes is fine as is, no real need to change that.

There's tons of different directions and possibilities to take this type of character, and while her tech so far isn't as exciting or deep as everyone else in the roster, the novelty is still strong that I want to see an updated take on it.

---

As for Trish, the idea of her not having to switch weapons I like well enough, she's very easy to use and her direction gun inputs show that incorporating Dante's gunslinger moves into his base moveset could work (as could potentially all his other styles into their respective actions). Only thing that comes to mind on how this could be expanded is more tools for setting up lightning based traps. The Inazumas are great for catching enemies that you've hit while airborne, but more emphasis on setting up traps or modifying specific moves to add lightning streaks could lead to amazing setups for combos. Also give her Air Raid for her Devil Trigger, that'd be sweet.

She's still closer to a traditional DMC character than Lady (and was already playable in the past), so there's not much else I could want or come up with, really.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honestly, Lady's just a half finished character. What's there is well implemented and well thought out with a design archetype in mind, but it's clear she was made on a budget. I'm sure there was a lot left on the cutting room floor with her in terms of weaponry and mobility options.

What difficulty is everyone playing on for their first run though?

Vergil devil hunter non-turbo.

I've completely forgotten the basic muscle memories, nevermind the more advanced stuff that I never got down 7 years ago.

Practice 10,000 times on Yamato before using just frames and weapon switching- says Bruce Lee.

Honestly, Lady's just a half finished character. What's there is well implemented and well thought out with a design archetype in mind, but it's clear she was made on a budget. I'm sure there was a lot left on the cutting room floor with her in terms of weaponry and mobility options.
Trish too, yeah. Lady needs more mobility/zoning, Trish needs more trap mechanics and more aggressive closing in on enemies, I think.

I'm looking forward to what can be achieved with both in the future.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, so I've tried Nero, Lady and Vergil.

With Lady, is there some kind of mobility trick I am unaware of? Lady hits like an abrams tank, but her attacks are very slow and she's generally not that great at moving. You can make something of a work around with some of her attacks, but I'm having issues with crowd control with her. It's okay on lesser enemies, but I just got to the ice castle bit where I stopped playing, and I literally lost her in the shards of ice that the ice demons kept throwing. I need her more mobile than this if I'm gonna take on these speed freaks.

Vergil is jawdroppingly powerful as expected. I'm having an oddly difficult time getting a hang of his teleportation. Berial kept fucking me over with his "Imma explode!" attack, because there wasn't a way for him to get away. Which is wierd because I know he has a backwards disappearing attack, but I couldn't trigger it like I did in DMC3.

Nero is the same Nero as he has been for the last...what has it been, six years now? I like his prototype outfit. Other than the neon blue undercoat, I'm not sure why they changed it's design to that garnish blue and red travesty. I prefer him looking more like a rogue night than just some punk kid. I am never gonna like him as a character, but I still love his Red Rose and...its pretty much the same opinion I had of him before now.

And thanks again everyone for helping me get this to run. I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on Vergil's fucking return.

Edit: also, I may wait for a save file I can download somewhere. Right now, I'm stick between choosing Devil Hunter and Legendary Dark Knight. The former is too easy and simple to be interesting, while the former is too hectic and chaotic for me to be in real control. I might beat it with Nero and Vergil, but Lady's mobility problems really hold me back.

Just get good, I have some old boss rush vids that I uploaded back when youtube didn't have HD yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9QO50HJz-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGYGjrwkJMM
I'm not implying I need it, I'm wondering if it was removed because it was pretty obvious.

And thanks again everyone for helping me get this to run. I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on Vergil's fucking return.

Edit: also, I may wait for a save file I can download somewhere. Right now, I'm stick between choosing Devil Hunter and Legendary Dark Knight. The former is too easy and simple to be interesting, while the former is too hectic and chaotic for me to be in real control. I might beat it with Nero and Vergil, but Lady's mobility problems really hold me back.
You can buy it through micro-transactions...

Made it about halfway into devil hunter with Vergil and went and gave legendary dark knight a shot. Man, so many enemies, SSS all day. I got completely trashed by the army of frosts in mission 3 though. More than 10 easily. Couldn't see shit.

I don't know if it was because I'm still missing a bunch of his moveset but this was way waaay easier with Nero.

Top Bottom