• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Hi guys. Help? I want to buy this game, but I am leaning more towards the physical version for PS4. Is there difference between the Asian version of DMC4:SE vs the Japanese version of DMC4: SE? The Asian version on Play Asia costs $32.99 and the Japanese version costs $39.99. Not a big discrepancy in price obviously, but I am wondering why is it cheaper? Also, do the physical copies come with any DLC l like the costumes which I wouldn't mind having. Thanks in advance.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hi guys. Help? I want to buy this game, but I am leaning more towards the physical version for PS4. Is there difference between the Asian version of DMC4:SE vs the Japanese version of DMC4: SE? The Asian version on Play Asia costs $32.99 and the Japanese version costs $39.99. Not a big discrepancy in price obviously, but I am wondering why is it cheaper? Also, do the physical copies come with any DLC l like the costumes which I wouldn't mind having. Thanks in advance.

Asian versions of games just tend to be cheaper. Different regions and all that. Play asia says the two versions are identical based on playtesting.

Numerous people in this thread are playing the Asian version with no issues, myself included. If you're in the UK you might have to switch your system language to English (US) temporarily.

Physical versions come with DLC. The op explains it in more detail.

Asian versions of games just tend to be cheaper. Different regions and all that. Play asia says the two versions are identical based on playtesting.

Numerous people in this thread are playing the Asian version with no issues, myself included. If you're in the UK you might have to switch your system language to English (US) temporarily.

Physical versions come with DLC. The op explains it in more detail.

Thanks for the information. I got one more silly question. Not a big deal, but how would trophies work on my US PS4 if I go on and get the Asian version? Would they be in English or Asian/Japanese or nothing at all?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks for the information. I got one more silly question. Not a big deal, but how would trophies work on my US PS4 if I go on and get the Asian version? Would they be in English or Asian/Japanese or nothing at all?

Mine appear in english. I think it's based on your system language. The trophies are also the same across regions. Upon loading up the US version, those trophies are already unlocked. No duplicates.

however saves are NOT cross region compatible. I can't load up my Asian save in the US version and vice versa.

Mine appear in english. I think it's based on your system language. The trophies are also the same across regions. Upon loading up the US version, those trophies are already unlocked. No duplicates.

however saves are NOT cross region compatible

Thank you again. That makes sense. I haven't imported a game in many years, so this should bring back memories.

BadWolf

Started SOS with Vergil and having fun so far, SOS isn't much of a jump from DH though so just kind of running through.

Are you guys using all three weapons with him or concentrating on one or two? Which are your favourites?

that footage is 100% emblematic of what i wrote, what are you seeing in there? she has one air string, one air forward move and the v-boomerang and no airdash/air mobility option that allows for interesting aerial movement stuff - at face value you can't get much out of her besides various combinations of air string, flippy kick, gunshots and the boomerang

Yeah, don't know how things will develop in the future but at least for now it feels like they went to far when trying to make her beginner friendly.

And there seems to be no clear focus to her gameplay style.

Are you guys using all three weapons with him or concentrating on one or two? Which are your favourites?

I focus on using just Yamato first, now I'm slowly trying to include those cheese moves with multiple hits from Beowulf and Force Edge but still using Yamato as the base.

Sectus

Started SOS with Vergil and having fun so far, SOS isn't much of a jump from DH though so just kind of running through.

I ended up exclusively using yamato and beowulf as Vergil (only beaten SOS with him so far). I found him pretty difficult to play as since there's so many things to juggle at any time (maintaining concentration gauge, spamming summon swords, trying to time judgment cuts).

I use Yamato primarily because it looks badass and has the best aerial offensive to me. Though coming off of DMC3s weapon icons is still getting to me. In 3, Yamato is indicated only with its blade, and Force Edge as both Yamato and Force Edge, whereas in 4, Yamato is indicated alongside its sheathe, and Force Edge on its own. I keep confusing the two mid combo.

I like to use everything. I tend to start with force edge and cycle using L2. So I'll do something like stinger into million stabs into launch, switch to Yamato and do aerial combos into beowulf spin/dropkick, back into force edge ground combo

I always forget to use judgement cut and roundtrip with Vergil, because I forget how fast they charge now. Fast charge on those moves give them a lot more utility now which is nice.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I mix and match with Vergil during regular play, but I'm really loving Beowulf right now. The visual and auditory feedback with you hit Full Steam is just glorious.

Hey, with all the news of bad ports everywhere, which version of this should I buy if I have a good PC? PC or PS4?

If you have a good PC, then go PC. The port isn't as well optimized as the vanilla version because of the visual embellishments, but if you have a good computer you should be fine.

At worst you'll need to request a refund.

ViviOggi

Like even with a mediocre computer it's not even a question, there's only some disappointment because of how godlike the original PC version was

I've found that running the PC port at fullscreen seems to fix some of the issues, but the stuttering still happens. The game also refuses to be recognized by XSplit and lags through screen capture. One nice thing about the port is that it fills up the full screen at 720p, so you won't have to make the resolution max your monitor's resolution if you're having performance issues. It's still unacceptable to have the extra graphical features missing from the toggle menu. I sent them a bug report and haven't been able to play it much until these issues are fixed, as the stuttering is a deal breaker for me.

A pretty common move I've been using with Force Edge is a rising High Time followed by round trip just before touching the ground. The aerial version of Vergil's Round Trip stops at basically point blank range, so it's great for locking in an enemy for a follow up, I need to use drive more with him.

Wesker28

Can you get JP voices with the steam version?
I think so, but it's exclusive to the Japanese Steam store
HzwMvhk.png

Like even with a mediocre computer it's not even a question, there's only some disappointment because of how godlike the original PC version was

No, there's no excuse for this not to be able to run on a machine that can max out the original version flawlessly. It's a very poor port, no question about it.

From what I'm reading in the modding community, it runs on the RE6/Rev2 MT Framework instead of the DMC4 variant, hence reduced optimization and huge file size.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Do you get these by beating the game with them?

We think it might have to do with getting a certain number of kills with the character during the credits sequence. Just beat the game with them and go for a high kill count during the credits.

EDIT: Damnit. Sorry for the double post.

gunbo13

No variety.
These are some real Trish combos

Honestly didn't realize the spread rockets launched enemies.

Still a super basic character, though, which is a shame.
That's better. But I agree, it's adding projectiles to the same mix-ups.
Vergil's rushdown is insanely OP. It's comic book style.

This reminds me how much I hate this boss. Nothing worse in an action game then the stupid "I'm stunned and you need to DPS me until I'm not stunned." Oh boy do DMC3 bosses destroy DMC4. Berial, Dante, and Credo are solid though.

And to chime in on previous pages, LDK is just some fool around mode. It's pretty pointless to take it seriously as a play-through.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Hmmm...I managed to download the costumes for Lady and Trish from the Hong Kong store, but the game won't seem to allow you to select them if you want to play as them. What do you think the issue is?

ShinMaruku

Vergil appears in Nero's city 9 months before he is born.

GOLLY GEE COINCIDENCE BATMAN!

Actually in the Japanese DMC4 novel. They outright say Vergil is Nero's father. Nero was born with the devil bringer arm but it was supressed when he got adopted.

Sephzilla

Vergil appears in Nero's city 9 months before he is born.

GOLLY GEE COINCIDENCE BATMAN!

That would be a nice story coincidence if the game actually put that in there.

Edit - This was the perfect chance for them to clear up the Vergil/Nero connection and they honestly fumbled the ball.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The fact that the game goes out of its way to show the unique hooded npc babe giving Vergil the "fuck me" eyes is as good a confirmation as any.

Also, as Vergil's leaving Fortuna he's in unusually high spirits. That's because he just got some.

Dugna

....is there a trick to beating Dante the first time as Nero? (not the tutorial) Like there seems to be no opening I can see and every other video involving this fight I can see is people with completely upgraded characters just overpowering his mechanics.

Sephzilla

The fact that the game goes out of its way to show the unique hooded npc babe giving Vergil the "fuck me" eyes is as good a confirmation as any.

Also, ads Vergil's leaving Fortuna he's in unusually high spirits. That's because he just got some.

You guys are stretching :/

Some random girl looking at Vergil might have looked at him because a guy wearing a brown worn out rag walking out of an alley looks pretty out of place in Fortuna. Also, you couldn't see her eyes. I don't get why they halfassed the Vergil/Nero stuff a second time around.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
any differences in the console versions? Don't know which one to choose between XB1 and PS4.

If you have a choice, a few people have had odd issues with the Xbone version. PS4 might be a safer.

You guys are stretching :/

Some random girl looking at Vergil might have looked at him because a guy wearing a brown worn out rag walking out of an alley looks pretty out of place in Fortuna. Also, you couldn't see her eyes. I don't get why they halfassed the Vergil/Nero stuff a second time around.

She's a unique NPC. There's a reason they focused in on her. It's not a stretch. It's just a hint for fans of the series.

BadWolf

....is there a trick to beating Dante the first time as Nero? (not the tutorial) Like there seems to be no opening I can see and every other video involving this fight I can see is people with completely upgraded characters just overpowering his mechanics.

A really easy way to take him out is:

- Get charge shot 3
- Charge CS3 then get in close, wait for him to start attacking and then jump to avoid and shoot him while he is mid attack animation. Both the first hit and the delayed second explosion will stagger him and do good damage
- Rinse and repeat

If he switches to Royal Guard then he will parry but is free to Devil Bringer snatch and grabs (he will try to parry it but you can't parry grabs, just like in a fighting game). Then go back to using CS3.

This works on all difficulties, he is free to CS3.

(you are talking about the full on fight later right? Not mission 1?)

Why can't I select Vergil . And how can something not be installed after pretty much a day of downloading the damn thing. There no indication of anything installing on the PS4.

Dugna

A really easy way to take him out is:

- Get charge shot 3
- Charge CS3 then get in close, wait for him to start attacking and then jump to avoid and shoot him while he is mid attack animation. Both the first hit and the delayed second explosion will stagger him and do good damage
- Rise and repeat

If he switches to Royal Guard then he will parry but is free to Devil Bringer snatch and grabs (he will try to parry it but you can't parry grabs, just like in a fighting game). Then go back to using CS3.

This works on all difficulties, he is free to CS3.

(you are talking about the full on fight later right? Not mission 1?)

later inside some small room little after Nero gets Yamato, guess I'll try the charged shot tactic. So thanks for the tip

Top Bottom