• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ay yo WTF is dis shit?

i8u254v.png

An anonymous post on 4chan? Not holding my breath. Should be easy enough to test out, though.

Dahbomb

Seems way too specific and easy to debunk for this to be fake.

Like it would take 5 minutes to test this shit out. Unfortunately I am at work or I would've done it myself by now.

Please don't tell me Nero is a fucking test tube baby using Vergil's genes.

But then again I get to post this gif...

maury-you-are-not-the-father-o.gif

With Vergil's face. Then again he who would still "technically" be his father like how Big Boss is Solid Snake's father.

Coda

Tuned in!

I'm seeing too much melee and not nearly enough charge shots -_-

Charge Shot 3 should be getting a lot of love.

And make sure to fully charge shotgun/guns before entering fights so you start guns blazing.

Nice! Yeah, once I learn where the fighting arenas are I can plan ahead. Can you charge all three guns and save it for battle? It runs out over time right?

Loving her gameplay now though. So much fun once you get the hang of her playstyle.

BadWolf

Yep definitely worked thanks, I don't mind difficulty but even with me dodging everything he does and attacking he never had a moment of rest he just keeps attacking.

No prob, and yeah he can get fancy.

An anonymous post on 4chan? Not holding my breath. Should be easy enough to test out, though.

Wasn't there some mention of something of the like being hidden a while back? An easter egg for fans to find?

Nice! Yeah, once I learn where the fighting arenas are I can plan ahead. Can you charge all three guns and save it for battle? It runs out over time right?

Loving her gameplay now though. So much fun once you get the hang of her playstyle.

She is definitely awesome.

You can only charge one at a time.

Guns - charges and releases a single shot, the power of the shot depends on the level charged. It's just a single shot and you have to charge again. The first shot charges so fast that you can pretty much rapid fire it.

Shotgun - charges are timer based, charge shot 3 is godly.

Kalina Ann - Stationary charging, you can't carry them around.

I pretty much have my finger stuck on the shoot button charging during traversal.

I was about to fire this game up but could only play one mission due to the ps4 not being finished with "installing" the game completely. It really makes digital only bothersome that its so damn slow to install games :(. It will take some days before I get to finish the game and try the new characters.

BadWolf

Honestly this could probably explain the Devil Bringer a bit better.
Just say Agnus fucked up a little when making Nero and that arm was the result

I thought it was because Nero is more human, since his mother is human and Vergil is half human and half demon. So it would make sense for Nero to be less demon.

In Vergil/Dante's case their mother was fully human and father fully demon.

TreIII

The fact that the game goes out of its way to show the unique hooded npc babe giving Vergil the "fuck me" eyes is as good a confirmation as any.

Also, as Vergil's leaving Fortuna he's in unusually high spirits. That's because he just got some.

HOLLERING.

And then he goes off to start his mad errand in DMC3 because he wants to create a better world for himself and his soon to be born son.

Sephzilla

I thought it was because Nero is more human, since his mother is human and Vergil is half human and half demon. So it would make sense for Nero to be less demon.

In Vergil/Dante's case their mother was fully human and father fully demon.

By that logic though shouldn't half of Dante and Vergil's body look like the Devil Bringer?

Nero just has the arm, Dante/Vergil can turn their entire body into demon at will.

Like Sephzilla said: He has a permanent demonic appendage while having a spectral form that looks exactly like a demon come out of him when he DTs (according the the wiki it's "the manifestation of his soul". I'm guessing that's from one of the artbooks/novels). He also has all the other perks that Dante/Vergil do: gravity defying acrobatics, Wolverine tier healing, demonic strength, and a funky voice filter when he DTs. Nero in general is strange.
Can we please stop with the "failed experiment" theory? How would Sanctus not know about Nero's origins if he was created by Agnus? And why would we be given 20 other hints in the game that Nero is Vergil's son?

All of that is explained with Nero being a quarterling.

Exactly. Which is why I don't like the "Agnus screwed up" theory.

BadWolf

Like Sephzilla said: He has a permanent demonic appendage while having a spectral form that looks exactly like a demon come out of him when he DTs (according the the wiki it's "the manifestation of his soul". I'm guessing that's from one of the artbooks/novels). He also has all the other perks that Dante/Vergil do: gravity defying acrobatics, Wolverine tier healing, demonic strength, and a funky voice filter when he DTs. Nero in general is strange.

Nero just has the arm and needs the Yamato for DT, and even then it's more of a Jojo stand than a true demon form.

Dunno but to me that sounds much less demon than Dante and Vergil who can be fully demon whenever they like.

He just has less demon blood and that explains everything nicely.

People think clones are apparently more interesting than sons? I think it would be more interesting to see Vergil reacting to his son than a clone. He'd probably just kill the clone... Plus like what others said then the whole plot wouldn't make sense if they knew Nero's origins.

Dahbomb

Nero could very well be a test tube baby using Vergil's cells. It's not impossible. Would explain a bunch of other shit in the game.

Though based on the DMC4 novel that is not the case.

Did Nero always have the arm though?
"from that day forth, my arm changed" and all that. I always explained that as Vergils death as Nelo Angelo had somehow transferred what remained of his power over to his next of kin.

ShinMaruku

Nero could very well be a test tube baby using Vergil's cells. It's not impossible. Would explain a bunch of other shit in the game.

Though based on the DMC4 novel that is not the case.

According to the novel and a few comments from a developer they just said Vergil is his father, no comments on his mother. He was raised with Kyrie's family as they found him in a basket with the name Nero and the fucked up arm.

The arm went 'Normal' until a bunch of demons attacked him and Kyrie and he absorbed their souls after injuring the arm.

Dahbomb

Do we really have to spoiler tag stuff for a 7 year old game?

Not only that but that line was mentioned in the FIRST real trailer of the game as well.

According to the novel and a few comments from a developer they just said Vergil is his father, no comments on his mother. He was raised with Kyrie's family as they found him in a basket with the name Nero and the fucked up arm.
Yeah this comment doesn't exclude the possibility of Nero being a test tube based off of Vergil's cells.

This reminds me how much I hate this boss. Nothing worse in an action game then the stupid "I'm stunned and you need to DPS me until I'm not stunned." Oh boy do DMC3 bosses destroy DMC4. Berial, Dante, and Credo are solid though.
Even Dante's kinda too cheesable despite his big moveset, though I guess he might show up better against Lady and Vergil since they don't have as much of a win button.

I mean, in all fairness, DMC3 has some pretty crummy bosses that follow that pattern too, even Cerberus and A&R and Nevan (all of whom are good bosses), but also most of its bad fights (Leviathan's Heart, Doppelgänger, Geryon).

Nero just has the arm and needs the Yamato for DT, and even then it's more of a Jojo stand than a true demon form.

Dunno but to me that sounds much less demon than Dante and Vergil who can be fully demon whenever they like.

He just has less demon blood and that explains everything nicely.

He is less demon, I'm just not a fan of the "clone" theory. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that or if it was tangential.

Though Dahbomb mentioned a test tube, which would work too.

Squishy3

I was always under the impression he just received some injury from something or other before DMC4 happened and it "healed" as the demon arm.

Whatever, it lets Nero do sick atomic suplexes against the sword angels so who gives a fuck about the explanation.

Too much of a beating? You shouldn't be hitting them, just grab one and stand in front of another enemy and let that enemy do the work. Using an enemy as a shield (while another enemy hits it) builds the style meter really well in general.

Also taunt while holding the enemy to build the style meter faster. You yourself shouldn't be attacking.
The mission automatically fails if you attack, the beating I was referring to was when the Frost attacks you. Issue I had was finding a good position to hold the scarecrow in place with Snatch and then quickly grabbing the next one after the Frost kills the one I was holding. I eventually got it though, after wasting two gold orbs, but I never need to touch it again.

Are you guys using all three weapons with him or concentrating on one or two? Which are your favourites?
Yamato is my primary since I enjoy doing Judgment Cuts as much as possible. Force Edge I use in very specific situations and is probably my least used, so in between that I use Beowulf when an enemy is left vulnerable to get some Full Steam charge attacks in.

Sephzilla

People think clones are apparently more interesting than sons? I think it would be more interesting to see Vergil reacting to his son than a clone. He'd probably just kill the clone... Plus like what others said then the whole plot wouldn't make sense if they knew Nero's origins.

And boom, you have the source for another Vergil/Dante conflict in DMC5. Vergil thinks Nero is an abomination that must be destroyed, Dante defends him saying Nero has proven himself.

Regarding Nero's origins - just say Sanctus and the others didn't know. Agnus made Nero as a result of fucking around with Vergil's cells and Yamato, but didn't have the heart to kill the result of his experiment and just let him go

Dahbomb

No matter what happens, if Vergil comes back in DMC5 there will be SOME conflict between Vergil and Nero simply because Nero currently has Yamato. No way is Vergil going to let shit that slide.

"I have come to reclaim my power... you can't handle it."

So I have some questions about the difficulty -
is son of sparda easier than legendary dark knight?
Also, of the easier mode - how much harder is it than devil hunter?

Thanks.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Even Dante's kinda too cheesable despite his big moveset, though I guess he might show up better against Lady and Vergil since they don't have as much of a win button.

I mean, in all fairness, DMC3 has some pretty crummy bosses that follow that pattern too, even Cerberus and A&R and Nevan (all of whom are good bosses), but also most of its bad fights (Leviathan's Heart, Doppelgänger, Geryon).

True about DMC3 but I legit think Sanctus is the worst boss in the genre. I'd take the NG3 T-Rex fight over Sanctus just because of how absurd it is.

gunbo13

The crumbles are different. They are way shorter and aren't some cut & dry sequence event. They also require strategy. Santus is basically just beat up my shield a handful of times and I'm dead.

DMC3 also has the Vergil fights, so there's that.

BadWolf

The mission automatically fails if you attack, the beating I was referring to was when the Frost attacks you. Issue I had was finding a good position to hold the scarecrow in place with Snatch and then quickly grabbing the next one after the Frost kills the one I was holding. I eventually got it though, after wasting two gold orbs, but I never need to touch it again.

Oh, my bad.

True about DMC3 but I legit think Sanctus is the worst boss in the genre. I'd take the NG3 T-Rex fight over Sanctus just because of how absurd it is.

No way he is worse than Arkham in DMC3. No way.

Dahbomb

Which Sanctus are you guys talking about?

Savior is easily the worst main boss fight in the game, only rivaled by the Chamber fight with Agnus as Nero (at least that fight ends quick). The final Sanctus boss fight is fine, not that awful. He has some cool moves he throws at you. You still gotta be on point with your dodging.

naw the doppelganger is the worst, just hit Windows over and over again to be able to damage the boss at all. So tedious and dumb.

Oh and savior too, fuck that dumb boss, no fun at all.

Sephzilla

Agnus Round 1, Savior, Arkham, Nightmare, Geryon the Timesteed, and the entire DmC roster are all bosses I'd put above Sanctus in a "shitty franchise bosses" list

gunbo13

I'm more down on Sanctus then Savior. Savior is basically a level. And a jerk for keeping the idea alive straight to Bayonetta's bad choices.

Top Bottom