• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Okay, I tried it. Doesn't really work against bosses, though. Since when you lock-on, Lady doesn't move her reticle.

Against bosses I like to use shotgun and rockets. Shotgun can charge while running and jumping and all that so it's pretty easy to get a charge off during a fight. From there you can enemy step off of them while blasting them away or use fireworks for a lot of damage.

You need to be a bit more careful with rockets but they break some bosses pretty hard. You just need to be a bit more careful when you choose to charge. If you have an opening for a level 3 rocket it will rack up ridiculous amounts of style points.

On regular mobs and enemies it's pretty easy to get SSS combos with the handguns if you're mixing up charge shots with her other moves. On beefier enemies just use shotgun and just blast them point blank and you can get up to at least an S from that alone.

Altairre

WgkAEAi.gif

This guy can just see the code can't he?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Was that "see you next Devil May Cry" thing ever confirmed?

I've been trying to confirm it and the closest I've gotten is "until we meet again?" After beating HoH.

Crackpebbles has cleared DMD and Hell or Hell, and the message hasn't changed beyond the above. Maybe it changes once you've beaten every single mode? Unless someone else has has any luck, I consider it unconfirmed at this time.

As for Vergil, for the moment, he's a super character that's been tuned for LDK. I think Itsuno we pretty up front about that when talking about his design decisions for the character. Especially since this is the first time a lot of Japanese players would be experiencing LDK for the first time (PC gaming is practically non existent over there), he wanted to make a character that was immediately appealing, interesting, poweful, and could handle hordes with giant hitboxes.

As is, Vergil would either need to be tuned for a future iteration or the game would need to be further balanced around him.

Shauni

I mean, are we expecting Vergil to even be in a potential DMC5 to begin with? Is there something at the end of his DMC4 campaign that hints to this? Just wondering, seems like there's a lot of assumption is this conversation that he will be.

Sephzilla

For the moment, Vergil is a super character that's been tuned for LDK. I think Itsuno we pretty up front about that when talking about his design decisions for the character. Especially since this is the first time a lot of Japanese players would be experiencing LDK for the first time (PC gaming is practically non existent over there), he wanted to make a character that was immediately appealing, interesting, poweful, and could handle hordes with giant hitboxes.

As is, Vergil would either need to be tuned for a future iteration or the game would need to be further balanced around him.

What if there were supposed to be a lot more enemies in Fortuna when Nero and Dante visited, but most of them were already dead because of Vergil?

1986282.jpg

I mean, are we expecting Vergil to even be in a potential DMC5 to begin with? Is there something at the end of his DMC4 campaign that hints to this? Just wondering, seems like there's a lot of assumption is this conversation that he will be.

Well, he's hugely popular (he was practically the selling point of DMC4SE) and his death was vague enough that it could be easily retconned (if they don't want to just keep him as a bonus character). It'd make sense to keep bringing him back.

Sephzilla

Vergil has had a presence in every Devil May Cry game except for DMC2. The odds of him being in DMC5 are in his favor.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's just theorizing. Additional playable characters are important additions to the game and Vergil is very popular. He's also Itsuno's favorite.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I'm willing to bet there won't be any future DMC games without both Dante and Vergil.

Veelk

Banned
What if there were supposed to be a lot more enemies in Fortuna when Nero and Dante visited, but most of them were already dead because of Vergil?

1986282.jpg
If Vergil is there in his DMC3 capacity, how does he have Beowulf AND Force Edge? Did he just take a break during DMC3?

Goddamn plotholes

Shauni

So, I wonder, do you think we'll get another prequel story for 5, or will Vergil be resurrected. Be interesting to see an interaction between him and Nero.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I wonder, do you think we'll get another prequel story for 5, or will Vergil be resurrected. Be interesting to see an interaction between him and Nero.

That's possible but I also wouldn't rule out playable characters being added that have no story relevance.
The game doesn't need to make an excuse for their inclusion. What they provide to the combat is enough.

Sephzilla

I fully expect and hope that DMC5 will be a straight sequel to 4. I still like my little fan story idea of Vergil breaking out of hell in order to warn Dante and the gang about a new threat.

Dahbomb

All of the characters in DMC4 are either unfinished or untested.

Nero? Unfinished. Doesn't have an extra set of weapons and has a button on the controller unused.

Dante? Hella untested. Has a wide range of some moves being undertuned and others overtuned. Some bugs as well.

Lady? Both unfinished and untested. Some of her moves single handedly destroy all the content in the game with minimal skill. Probably a bigger problem than Vergil in some regards.

Trish? Most of her moves are copy/paste from other characters and still feels hella limited.

Vergil? More complete than Nero but hella untested like Dante.

DMC4SE is just a crazy storm of mechanics and abilities. Some work and others are clearly busted. We would be here all night talking about it from a pure balance perspective. The characters don't compete with other in rankings, there's no PvP and the style ranking system is already bad anyway so balance doesn't really matter.

The end result that matters is if a character is fun to play has high skill cap and can swag the fuck out. Vergil has all of that and is a character than matches and even surpasses Nero in depth (the poster boy of DMC4). So I see no issue here... the only thing I see are a lot of swag combos and videos in our future.

Son Of D

5 will likely follow on from 4's ending. And I can't see them going back to just Nero and Dante as playable. It'll feel a bit like a downgrade if Lady, Trish and Vergil weren't playable, even if they were non-canon characters.

BPoole

I am so ashamed. Once upon a time, I beat DMC4 on DMD mode. Last night, Credo killed me 3 times on Devil Hunter as I played with Vergil

I feel like if DMC4 was originally gonna be all Nero and not what it is, we would have seen an extra weapon introduced for the character. Hell, probably more Devil Bringer applications and abilities, considering the rate at which you get key items in the first half and the last one allowing you to actually hold onto enemies before slamming them.

Nero doesn't need styles, or a large repertoire of individual tools that have to be cycled through constantly, but just an extra weapon that's either accessible at all times or just toggled for mixing up combos would go a long way. Maybe a couple extra Devil Bringer moves beyond Buster, Snatch, and Hold as well.

Coda

I wish we could all meet up for Bloody Palace co-op. Imagine how much chaos would ensue if we could do 8 player or more online matches of that mode.

Next Devil May Cry game, do it Capcom.

Mizerman

I wish we could all meet up for Bloody Palace co-op. Imagine how much chaos would ensue if we could do 8 player or more online matches of that mode.

Next Devil May Cry game, do it Capcom.

The game as well as the universe will implode due to the combined motivation and craziness.

Seyavesh

after finally beating this game with nero/dante so i know what the fuck the story is...
what's up with lady showing up in a cutscene once and then literally never again

that shit is weird

also lol at all of dante's cutscenes (still)
i never saw the one w/ him and credo and credo just doing a buncha melodramatic sacrifice shit while dante farts around is actually hilarious

edit: also has anyone noticed that trish's DT luce&omba actually do insane damage?

Erigu

I've been trying to confirm it and the closest I've gotten is "until we meet again?" After beating HoH.

Crackpebbles has cleared DMD and Hell or Hell, and the message hasn't changed beyond the above. Maybe it changes once you've beaten every single mode?
My money is on the language setting.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
As I mentioned ... 1 was my favourite character action game until last week. And you tell me not to replay it? You're opinion is invalid to me. Be gone.
don't be sad. I just hate you^^

And yeah I played DmC. It was okay but it never felt like Devil May Cry to me. I think I will get the HD Collection and then replay 1. Start 2 and if it sucks ass I skip it and go to 3. 12€ is a good price if it's a solid 720p/60fps (and widescreen like it looks from screenshots).

Honestly if you rather replay DMC1 than play 3 for the first time, probably the best in the series, suit yourself. Might not even need to buy the HD collection for that if you still own a copy.

Bl@de

Honestly if you rather replay DMC1 than play 3 for the first time, probably the best in the series, suit yourself. Might not even need to buy the HD collection for that if you still own a copy.

Of course I'd like to play 3. just wasn't sure if any sequel can live up to the greatness of DMC1. It's the only game of the series I played (and I can't replay it because I sold my PS2). Just wanted to know if the HD collection is a good one or something like the Silent Hill HD Collection...

Edit: To be clear: It has been over a decade since I played DMC1. So I can just start from 1 and go through the whole franchise. Doesn't mean I will skip 3...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I still think it's equivalent to Samus saying " see you next mission". So not really a confirmation of anything.

Of course. It's definitely not confirmation of DMC5, and I'm not so presumptuous to jump to that conclusion. It's not a bad sign, though.

Of course I'd like to play 3. just wasn't sure if any sequel can live up to the greatness of DMC1. It's the only game of the series I played (and I can't replay it because I sold my PS3). Just wanted to know if the HD collection is a good one or something like the Silent Hill HD Collection...

The HD Collection is a solid buy. Go buy it.

Top Bottom