• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

4a272p6.gif
I can't stop chuckling at this.

Shauni

So, this is stupid realization on my part, but I really just came to the thought that I will have to switch to Trish in my Trish/Lady campaign. I'm playing that campaign now on Dark Knight. I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to handle the hordes of enemies without Lady's ridiculous blasts and shit. I mean, duh and all, it's Lady/Trish, I know, but that really just occurred to me after getting sweeped up in all the craziness that is Lady. I think I may have made a terrible mistake.

So, this is stupid realization on my part, but I really just came to the thought that I will have to switch to Trish in my Trish/Lady campaign. I'm playing that campaign now on Dark Knight. I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to handle the hordes of enemies without Lady's ridiculous blasts and shit. I mean, duh and all, it's Lady/Trish, I know, but that really just occurred to me after getting sweeped up in all the craziness that is Lady. I think I may have made a terrible mistake.
Crowd Control is the name of Trish's game. Just two words:

Round Trip.

Seyavesh

honestly my biggest gripe with trish is that she doesn't have an airdash... it's mega weird that she doesn't
also that pandora has such freakin bizarre controls instead of being assigned to the two empty trigger buttons she's got

like both of those things would be possible to add without any budget change so idk why she's designed in that manner

edit: also that her instant-air rocket/dartgun recovery didn't carry over to landing
like, the air versions are already significantly faster but it'd be cool to do TK rockets

MechaX

For the PC users, what controller are you using?

I'm using an old logitech pad and the button configs are hella screwed up (and I can't use the D-Pad and Analog at the same time, so Dante is sure going to be fun).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I'm using an old logitech pad and the button configs are hella screwed up (and I can't use the D-Pad and Analog at the same time, so Dante is sure going to be fun).

I think most people are either using a 360/Xbone controller or a Dualshock 4.

Good old Dualshock 2 (with an USB adapter) since I find the 360 controller really bad for character action games, I use Xbox 360 Controller Emulator to make sure I have good controller configs since I used to have the same problems

So based on some of the balancing gripes I'm seeing, anyone thinking we'll get patches?

Also, I'd love to play as Credo. Have him be like Alastor from Viewtiful Joe, where the game gives you gimped abilities and forces you to really focus on usage of DT. Not sure how it'd work in this game, but I trust in the forces of Itsuno.

honestly my biggest gripe with trish is that she doesn't have an airdash... it's mega weird that she doesn't
also that pandora has such freakin bizarre controls instead of being assigned to the two empty trigger buttons she's got

like both of those things would be possible to add without any budget change so idk why she's designed in that manner

edit: also that her instant-air rocket/dartgun recovery didn't carry over to landing
like, the air versions are already significantly faster but it'd be cool to do TK rockets
Trish's lack of mobility or a means to really go in are jarring. But she has Round Trip and a move to bring opponents to her, so it works. I have gripes with that character's moveset. Like how she doesn't use more magic spells (like Vergil). Honestly, if that were the case instead of Pandora, I'd be set.

I wanna do Hopscotch/Peekaboo shenanigans, damn it! Plus, I like Vergil's meter management. Wouldn't mind it being applied to another character in some capacity.

I have come to a realization that Lady is a peak from an alternate universe where Mikami gave Kamiya the okay to turn RE4 into a stylish action game. Lady is actually Ada Wong cyberized to house a mini-bullet factory in her chest.

Sectus

I am almost positive this quote is taken from DMC3 as one of the win quotes.

In DMC4 this doesn't even make sense, it's not a prequel...

Or is it????

Yeah, that quote was always there for beating Human difficulty. I guess it calls itself prequel because it takes place before DMC2?

There's a BP bug where a mephisto will spawn or teleport far away thats happened to me a few times already with Vergil. It takes like a minute for it to move back into the platform

Sectus

Turns out the game is actually really dynamic with key mappings. Any action can be mapped to any button simultaneously, but the UI only lets you map one action to one button. For instance, if you really wanted to, you could map every button on the controller to be both jump and shoot guns. Would anyone have use for this? I might add advanced button mapping to my trainer.

I think I'm gonna experiment with having guns for Lady be on both LB and X. That way I can charge whenever guns I want to, and I'll prevent myself from being confused since X isn't guns anymore. I use her "super" move so rarely that I don't think it hurts to have it on the d-pad.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Turns out the game is actually really dynamic with key mappings. Any action can be mapped to any button simultaneously, but the UI only lets you map one action to one button. For instance, if you really wanted to, you could map every button on the controller to be both jump and shoot guns. Would anyone have use for this? I might add advanced button mapping to my trainer.

I think I'm gonna experiment with having guns for Lady be on both LB and X. That way I can charge whenever guns I want to, and I'll prevent myself from being confused since X isn't guns anymore. I use her "super" move so rarely that I don't think it hurts to have it on the d-pad.

That's actually probably super useful. I know some folks were lamenting the inability to map two buttons to jump for easier jump canceling.

I always assumed the prequel line was in reference to the fact it's earned on the easiest difficulty, and is a subtle bit of shaming the player for playing on that difficulty.

Sectus

Is DMC2 even canon?

Doesn't DMC4 summarize the events of every DMC game including DMC2 with the "history" menu option? WIth that in mind, I'd assume it's canon.

That's actually probably super useful. I know some folks were lamenting the inability to map two buttons to jump for easier jump canceling.

I'll try to add it to my trainer then. It shouldn't be difficult to add support for, just a bit tedious.

Mechazawa

Anyone else experiencing crashes on the PC version?

Twice now I've gotten to different bosses and had the game die on me. The levels were short so they were pretty whatever, but it really kills my momentum to keep playing. That's not counting the crashes that were just during random point in chapters.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally reached the half-way point. Holy shit LDK's enemies against Lady is redonkulous.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't understand why they don't just drop 2 from canon and just ignore its existence.

Make DMC5 a remake of DMC2. Bring Lucia officially into the family (closest Dante has been to having a love interest), have Arius take off his mask and reveal Vergil, go full on crazy with it.

BadWolf

Just finished Bloody Palace with Lady, woohoo.

Twice now I've gotten to different bosses and had the game die on me. The levels were short so they were pretty whatever, but it really kills my momentum to keep playing. That's not counting the crashes that were just during random point in chapters.

Zero issues on my end so far.

Mizerman

None on my end. Aside from a few frame-rate drops, the PC version has been working fine.

Seyavesh

yeah, it randomly crashes for me but it's super rare- beaten the game twice now and only had it happen twice

tribal24

Banned
how many missions do lady and trish have together? or is it exactly like nero and dantes missions where you switch off once you complete it with one?

Quite a few people getting crashes.
I got one just from getting an achievement and that was enough for me until they patch the game.

Erigu

In DMC4 this doesn't even make sense, it's not a prequel...
Well, I guess the Vergil Mode is, but...

I don't understand why they don't just drop 2 from canon and just ignore its existence.
They can't quite pretend it doesn't exist at all (it's a numbered title, after all), but they pretty much ignore it already. We may get closer and closer to Devil May Cry 2, timeline-wise, but I doubt we'll ever reach it again, à la Zeno's paradox.

BadWolf

Gotta say, finding Lady's grapple to be very useful.

It's great at disabling enemies temporarily and works at really long range, and unlike Nero she has no restriction on enemy type (aside from bosses). She has no problem grappling the Angelos even.

It's also very useful against Fausts because unlike Nero she doesn't need to hold lock-on to activate the grapple, this means that you can position the Fausts off camera and remove their cloak without them being able to do anything about it (since they never attack off camera).

Another interesting use is that it keeps her in the air without loosing height if she keeps doing it. So this works great at avoiding various attacks because her double jump reaches so high. For example, when Credo does that rushing combo attack of his, all you have to do is double jump and when you reach the apex you start mashing grapple. She will stay in that position without losing air while he is doing the combo and he won't be able to hit her at all because her max double jump height is too high for him to reach.

Top Bottom