• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

That'd be preferable - unlike DMC playing their supporting cast's archetypes straight, MGR and Bayonetta benefited greatly by trying to make characters other than the protagonist interesting, endearing or at least fun in their own right - compare the presentation of Alraune to Echidna, Father Balder to Sanctus or Yamato to Madama Butterfly. The worldbuilding actually helps a lot as well - Bayonetta's journals and MGR's codecs allow their world to be fleshed out in a way that DMC's never was, without detracting from the pace of the game.
I think just nailing down characters like Itsuno did in DMC3 would be the best for DMC5... Lady and Arkham were well done and added a lot to the story.. It's so shocking how much a step back DMC4 was... Was that Koyabashi's influence?

That'd be preferable - unlike DMC playing their supporting cast's archetypes straight, MGR and Bayonetta benefited greatly by trying to make characters other than the protagonist interesting, endearing or at least fun in their own right - compare the presentation of Alraune to Echidna, Father Balder to Sanctus or Yamato to Madama Butterfly. The worldbuilding actually helps a lot as well - Bayonetta's journals and MGR's codecs allow their world to be fleshed out in a way that DMC's never was, without detracting from the pace of the game.

I'd be all for DMC embracing more of its Resident Evil roots and adding more in-depth files into the game like Bayonetta had. They certainly don't detract from the game for anyone who wishes to ignore them.

I think they nailed creating an effective supporting cast in DMC3 though. All of the major characters in that are interesting and have an important role to play in the plot.

Edit: Also bring back unlocking more info about an enemy by doing certain things like killing it with a critical hit and such.

Dahbomb

All this story talk about DMC1 makes me wish I played it. I really have no idea why I didn't get it back then.
Story is still pretty lackluster in DMC1. There are like 2-3 major story beats in the game and that's about it. Most of it was covered in this page.

DMC1's story got retroactively better because of DMC3 though.

Seik

Banned
So I started 'legit' by playing Nero.

Played until Mission 8.

Then went 'Fuck it, lets try Vergil'.

H-O-L-Y S-H-I-T

Vergil is fucking life. He is an absolute delight to play!

Golnei

I'd be all for DMC embracing more of its Resident Evil roots and adding more in-depth files into the game like Bayonetta had. They certainly don't detract from the game for anyone who wishes to ignore them.

Edit: Also bring back unlocking more info about an enemy by doing certain things like killing it with a critical hit and such.

Both would be welcome additions. I can see an expansion of the DMC1 enemy descriptions working really well with an ensemble cast - there'd be a central general description gradually expanded on as you view the enemy's moveset; with additions written in the perspective of individual characters detailing things which would pose more or less risk with their abilities. It'd be a not-inconsiderable amount of work for relatively little gain, but it'd aid characterisation a reasonable amount while also providing a way to suggest more creative use of abilities to inexperienced players, among other things.

Also, illustrating the bestiary like Okami instead of just using renders is something I wish more games did. I want to see Dante's stick figure renditions of every enemy in the game.

I think they nailed creating an effective supporting cast in DMC3 though. All of the major characters in that are interesting and have an important role to play in the plot.
I think just nailing down characters like Itsuno did in DMC3 would be the best for DMC5... Lady and Arkham were well done and added a lot to the story.. It's so shocking how much a step back DMC4 was... Was that Koyabashi's influence?

DMC3's supporting cast was more economical and effective, definitely. I'm unsure of whether the more directionless and inconsequential characters in 4 were a deliberate change or the result of incompetence - especially considering that Gloria may once have been a separate character, they were going for a much larger cast from the beginning. Maybe they thought the entire supporting cast was a necessary sacrifice to give the required attention to Nero and Kyrie's terrible bland relationship.

Also - even in 3, the boss demons' characterisation could have been improved. The handling of Metal Gear Rising's bosses would be instructive - none have much in the way of screentime, but their themes and backstory combined with the scenes they do get help to create a strong sense of personality in a short period of time. Technically, I think some of the DMC4 bosses might have more screentime than Monsoon or Mistral, yet they're invariably shallower and less interesting.

...Yeah, okay, just give me another Kaneko/DMC teamup instead.

You poor, deluded fool - Kaneko will never work on a game again. It's toi8 and Yasuda all the way down.

I have a similar issue with the Japanese version. Those outfits should be available right from the start-- I am prompted to select an outfit for Lady, but not for Trish.

BTW for anyone wondering, the Japanese version also runs in full English.

Yeah, I m not getting any type of prompts whatsoever. I even heard you have to play it offline to choose the outfits, but that didn't work either. Really strange.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Figured I'd check out how to pull of Distortion with Vergil and found this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2boKkFTXcg

What the fuck @ that damage

So for Distortion, you basically gotta hit L1 right before landing a hit?

Distortion is activating/deactivating your DT on or around the frame of actual damage connecting with the enemy. This was an existing mechanic with Dante in DMC4, and has carried over into Vergil. With Dante, it was most popular with Real Impact, called Distorted Real Impact or DRI for short.

What you're seeing there is actually a combination of two mechanics. There's distortion, but there's also Full Steam. Full Steam is a "just release" mechanic for Gilgamesh and Beowulf. Basically releasing the button during the activation frame of a charge. This is very obvious with Vergil as there is a brighter flash and a sounds that sort of rings.

Anyway, these two damage modifiers stack to do ridiculous things. You are basically doing two just time mechanics in a single move. Dante's "God Fist" was his fully charged Straight, Full Steamed + Distorted. It was the most powerful single move in the game.

Frantic

You poor, deluded fool - Kaneko will never work on a game again. It's toi8 and Yasuda all the way down.
Oh, I know. It's why it'll just remain a wishful dream of mine.

;_;

I don't know how some peopl;e don't dig Trish. She's SO MUCH FUN. I just need to master distortion with her.
Yeah, she's fun when you get over the "wow, she's gimped" feeling and dig into her tools. She doesn't have much available to her, but everything she does have is pretty interesting.

I started the game a week ago. Haven't tried Vergil yet. Lady is quite fun to play, refreshing with an emphasis on gun play. Trish is fun too but she's a bit crazy with the speed, range, and damage of her attacks. God I love the spinning chun li kicks

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The latest Media Create Sales puts DMC4SE at 47246 sales in Japan for the PS4. Interestingly, its placement in the rankings were up this week from last.

BadWolf

The latest Media Create Sales puts DMC4SE at 47246 sales in Japan for the PS4. Interestingly, it's placement in the rankings we up this week from last.

Very nice, wonder if Capcom is happy with those numbers.

My rankings vary wildly because of it,it's so annoying. I always get S ranks for time, yet b ranks for orbs, pushing my ranking down to what would have been S, to A.

Watch a quick S rank playthrough on youtube of missions which give you trouble and note where the orbs are, it's pretty easy to get a good rank in them since they are at the same places every time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's... Good-ish... Right ^^; ?

Duckroll mentioned it's about on par with the DMC HD Collection, if a little lower. It's doing better than DMC3SE.

Also, according to famitsu numbers, it has a sell through rate of 80-100%, which is a good sign.

Japan is also just seeing an overall reduction in console sales. Only 3 PS4 games are in the top 20. I think the FF7 announcement has encouraged PS4 sales, so that might have long term positive effects for DMC4SE.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No numbers, but DMC4: SE hasn't done that bad in NA and EU PSN stores. Number 7 for total June sales in NA and number 10 in EU.

NA: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/08/playstation-store-junes-top-sellers/

EU: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...am-knight-and-the-elder-scrolls-online-debut/

That seems promising. That's about as good as we' re going to get unless Capcom reveals digital sales numbers down the road.

The other unknown is the other foreign markets with retail releases, like most of Asia.

It's a far cry from REHD, which topped out both the PS3 and PS4 lists in the US when it launched, but that's to be expected. Also, there were fewer new releases in January.

Sesha

500k seems possible. REHD numbers are pretty much impossible. I don't there is a single other Capcom remaster that could do numbers like that. Heck, most remasters can't do numbers like that.

gunbo13

So I'm at about 30-35% with my Vergil tech. There is a damn lot to do with this guy. His depth has eclipsed Nero based on what I'm playing.

I'm on PC, downsampled and nice. But would I be able to just throw cash at PS4 version to get Vergil maxed and BP unlocked? That's all I really need.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm on PC, downsampled and nice. But would I be able to just throw cash at PS4 version to get Vergil maxed and BP unlocked? That's all I really need.

You should be able to buy proud souls and modes on Steam as DLC.

The PS4 has a similar pricing structure. 200000 Proud Souls for $3, 300000 red orbs for $2, and unlock all modes for $1.50.

Curufinwe

As an average skilled player, I hate how much work most of the trophies require. After I do the last 5 missions as Trish/Lady I will grind out Human as Nero/Dante to get that trophy and the two skills one. And I think that'll be it for me. I love the combat, but not enough to play they the game six more times.

Dahbomb

So I'm at about 30-35% with my Vergil tech. There is a damn lot to do with this guy. His depth has eclipsed Nero based on what I'm playing.

Yes you can do that.

I told you man. He's far ahead of his DMC3 self.

Been in the hyperbolic time chamber all this time.

Finished it for the first time. Managed to get better and better bit by bit throughout the playthrough, especially considering that I completely stopped when I hit my first Blitz on the original release. Managed to get REALLY lucky and get an S rank for mission 19. Final boss was quite the bitch to beat.

Feels good, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
As an average skilled player, I hate how much work most of the trophies require. After I do the last 5 missions as Trish/Lady I will grind out Human as Nero/Dante to get that trophy and the two skills one. And I think that'll be it for me. I love the combat, but not enough to play they the game six more times.

Don't get burnt out. Just think of it as a longterm goal. No sense in trying to cram everything in a hurry. The platinum just takes time.

Finished it for the first time. Managed to get better and better bit by bit throughout the playthrough, especially considering that I completely stopped when I hit my first Blitz on the original release. Managed to get REALLY lucky and get an S rank for mission 19. Final boss was quite the bitch to beat.

Feels good, though.

Congrats! Now it's time to pick your next character.

Feels good, though.

Nice. Who did you go through the game with?

Afrocious

So I can pull off combos, but I'm haphazard with them. While doing an attack I'm often thinking "I can do this one next!" and then I do it. Sometimes I go about this way without paying attention to how much health an enemy has. Worse, I'll whiff attacks (which is bad with Vergil since he loses MOTIVATION).

Should I preplan combos? I remember playing DMC3 not having to plan stuff and just going nuts with whatever weapon combination I had. However, I think I'm way better at combos now that I'm older.

Curufinwe

Don't get burnt out. Just think of it as a longterm goal. No sense in trying to cram everything in a hurry. The platinum just takes time.

I'll never get near the Platinum. I was just hoping I could get half the trophies without having to play the story mode over and over again. That's how it was for DMC HD and DMC3 SE HD.

gunbo13

Should I preplan combos? I remember playing DMC3 not having to plan stuff and just going nuts with whatever weapon combination I had. However, I think I'm way better at combos now that I'm older.
Don't preplan. Your goto combos get created through experimentation (similar to fighting games). Your muscle memory will just begin to store them the more you play. Then you just keep playing more and more and more. Revisit the attack list periodically and keep trying to tweak all your stored combos as you go. You will often accidentally discover tech or find whacky stuff with experimentation. Watch YT videos to see what other people have discovered along with yourself.

There are cases where preplanning makes sense but usually you are so far into the combat system you have it memorized. You then start crafting and organizing mechanics. Combos are then granular but you have to play a ton to even need to think that route.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'll never get near the Platinum. I was just hoping I could get half the trophies without having to play the story mode over and over again. That's how it was for DMC HD and DMC3 SE HD.

True that DMC HD was different, but vanilla DMC4 was brutal in this regard, and arguably moreso without these absurdly powerful added characters. I do wish some of the difficulty achievements stacked.

Curufinwe

I need to load up DMC4 on my PC tonight and see what Achievements I got in that game. Not too many even though I played it for 40 hours.

That seems promising. That's about as good as we' re going to get unless Capcom reveals digital sales numbers down the road.

The other unknown is the other foreign markets with retail releases, like most of Asia.

It's a far cry from REHD, which topped out both the PS3 and PS4 lists in the US when it launched, but that's to be expected. Also, there were fewer new releases in January.

DMC4 came out at the end of the month and was directly competing with Arkham Knight. ReHD had neither of those issues.

Dmc4 se will chart next month as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC4 came out at the end of the month and was directly competing with Arkham Knight. ReHD had neither of those issues.

Dmc4 se will chart next month as well.

Oh, absolutely. January was a clear month for REHD, but REHD was also just way more anticipated in general. Larger ravenous fanbase, and it's a classic that could only be gotten on Nintendo consoles previously.

In the June PSN Sales thread, we talked about how all of the entries beating DMC4SE in the list are full scale large budget games that either debuted that month (Arkham Knight, Elder Scrolls Online) or had sales throughout the month (GTAV and Tomb Raider). We can't make too many assumptions about how well DMC4SE, but I'm optimistic. As you mention, it only captured one week of sales.

So I never finished it on SoS difficulty on the PC. I got to mission 18 then stopped. And I only did 6 secret missions.

It's alright, man. You can get a lot of the trophies via Bloody Palace. But if you want to tackle them, just tackle them one at a time. Don't get intimidated by the whole list.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So is there a boxed copy of this? Haven't seen any for sale in the UK here so far, just japanese listings on Amazon UK.

From the OP:
Digital only? Ugh. Any way I can get a physical copy?

Yes, digital only for NA and EU. Asia and Japan have physical copies that are available for import. They are not region locked and the Asian versions have BOTH FULL English and Japanese language support!

Play-Asia current has the Asian version available for pre-order for $32.99:

PS4

Xbox One

Plays in full English as long as you change your PS4 to English (US) from English (UK).

Top Bottom