• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Afrocious

Here's another vid of me screwing around again as Vergil.

https://youtu.be/fN62itjzoHQ

I think I'll take a break from the game soon. I got my Vergil on my PS4 and there's not much else I can ask for from this game.

I don't know if people noticed this, but Vergil's concentration circle thing turns off for a second whenever Vergil sheathes his sword..

I noticed this, but I dunno if it does anything. I've been ignoring it every time I pick up the game.

phew finally done with the S rank trophies... now only Lady and Trish BP for Plat

I know its not that bad for lady since her charge shots do good damage but I have no strat for Trish for BP... I am really worried about 2 Blitz and that crazy knight spawning stage 99

any hints?

phew finally done with the S rank trophies... now only Lady and Trish BP for Plat

I know its not that bad for lady since her charge shots do good damage but I have no strat for Trish for BP... I am really worried about 2 Blitz and that crazy knight spawning stage 99

any hints?

Keirnoth has a full run of Bloody Palace with Trish on his youtube channel (Also a Lady one) you can use that as a kinda reference to see how he dealt with some enemy waves if you have any problems. He makes good use of waiting for Altos to get Bianco Angelos to charge in and kill themselves so he can keep gaining DT to help on stage 99. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFstSJJCMYQ

Finishing off my weekend live as always come relax to combos (ignore the title).
Twitch.tv/bumblebeecody
I don't know if people noticed this, but Vergil's concentration circle thing turns off for a second whenever Vergil sheathes his sword.. Also with just frame judgement cuts.

It coincides with the two white orbs that appear when you Judgement Cut.

any hints?

Yo I'm begging you. Tips. Help. I cannot stand this campaign. What is the fastest and most cheapest way to get through the game and S rank all difficulties? How did you do it? Lady? Super Characters? Pandora Spam? I'm almost on the verge of tears, man.

It coincides with the two white orbs that appear when you Judgement Cut.

Yo I'm begging you. Tips. Help. I cannot stand this campaign. What is the fastest and most cheapest way to get through the game and S rank all difficulties? How did you do it? Lady? Super Characters? Pandora Spam?

Well I already S ranked everything in vanilla so Nero/Dante campaign was doable since I already know enemy weaknesses and strats
You can use this guy's walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTaOHX8kEkD7vNkQ1D3GtjGAJM4Y-SQEa to get S rank orb requirement and time can be easily S ranked, leaving style points which you need a B or A. You don't have to no damage to get s rank, but if you die then restart immediately or if you repeatedly get beaten then yeah.

unfortunately there is no fast and cheap spam method for s ranking all difficulties. LDK is easy to S rank since style points are given out like candy. Also super characters penalizes your ranking so S is not possible. S ranking with Vergil is frustrating since his moves are designed to kill rather than give you style points... Maybe Lady has a easy method to S rank, you should look up on YT for players posting walkthrough of S ranking with Lady. It might be easy

Dahbomb

Being required to S rank Human mode is supreme stupidity as are achievements not being stackable (so if you beat Devil Hunter you aren't credited for also beating Human mode).

It's almost like they didn't learn anything after 7 years.

No Capcom... we don't want to play this campaign 20 times again for fucking achievements. You already made us play through it twice the first time around.

Dahbomb

If there's any game you shouldn't give a shit about getting 1000/Platinum scores then it's this one.

Just beat DMD mode with whatever character and go into Bloody Palace to have fun. You can try to S rank DMD mode as well but I have never considered that to be that skillful in this game because as long as you don't die and do decent combos you will get S rank provided you know where to go and know where all the Orbs are in the mission.

ShinMaruku

I find my challenege in getting S ranks inspite of the super character pentalty. It gets me into the groove with Nero. I have fully turned on my impressions on him. Just needs more weapons but his tools are so great.

I just started playing with Vergil today and oh man is he amazing. He's so slick and fast, I love it!! I'm actually streaming a bit of gameplay with him if anyone wants to watch. Twitch name is the same as my GAF username :)

just go trish insta killed by Blitz and was all out of DT to escape at stage 39 :(

trish's got crowd control so all other enemies seems easy, but there is no guaranteed method for Blitz which is frustrating.

OMG finally done with BP Trish... my hand dou... they are freaking shaking as I type this

Wi1jBRD.jpg

I freaking hate blitz with a passion after he one shot me with that suicide move twice at stage 37, took a huge break after defeating Echidna and then came back and the rest of the stages were surprisingly easy compared to stages 30-40. Enemies are more aggressive early on I guess.
The Dante fight almost gave me a heart attack when he casually deflected my round trip. luckily i caught him while he was airborne and the rest pandora took care of.

Keirnoth has a full run of Bloody Palace with Trish on his youtube channel (Also a Lady one) you can use that as a kinda reference to see how he dealt with some enemy waves if you have any problems. He makes good use of waiting for Altos to get Bianco Angelos to charge in and kill themselves so he can keep gaining DT to help on stage 99. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFstSJJCMYQ

Couldn't have done it without that vid, that stage 99 strat is ingenious!

appreciate providing the link...

so Lady is supposed to be easy huh?

Rean

Well I finally finished the story mode. That last boss fight with dante is probably the worst one in the game for me, and the one with nero was kind of annoying but I got through it. I actually ended up liking Dante in the end more so than Nero even though he's harder to play well with, and I think the story itself was alright. For some reason the last couple of missions I played had serious lag to the point where dante would do the inputs a second or two later. I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but it annoyed me so much.

Nemesis_

Is it just me or is does Vergil have a notably higher skill floor than the other characters? I'm rarely hitting above A when I'm playing as him because if I make just one little mistake my concentration drops dramatically.

Love playing as him, of course, but yeah, he's definitely a very different character compared to all the others.

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure Dante has the highest skill floor (as well as also having the highest skill ceiling).

Some of Vergil's concepts are pretty easy to get into and once you do you start dominating with him and getting high Style ranks with him.

If there's any game you shouldn't give a shit about getting 1000/Platinum scores then it's this one.

Just beat DMD mode with whatever character and go into Bloody Palace to have fun. You can try to S rank DMD mode as well but I have never considered that to be that skillful in this game because as long as you don't die and do decent combos you will get S rank provided you know where to go and know where all the Orbs are in the mission.
Yeah I'll probably do that. I might try to platinum it later but for now I need a break from that god aweful campaign. Just a few more missions with Dante and Nero and then I'm heading straight to BP.

Afrocious

Is it just me or is does Vergil have a notably higher skill floor than the other characters? I'm rarely hitting above A when I'm playing as him because if I make just one little mistake my concentration drops dramatically.

Love playing as him, of course, but yeah, he's definitely a very different character compared to all the others.

I can't say for sure, but I can definitely say he's easier to use than Dante.

You don't need to rely on concentration too much, but to keep it up, you gotta stop whiffing and running.

AugustBlade

Neo Member
How do I get better at this game? I've been a big DMC fan for a long time, but I've never been really good at it. Is there a good guide or something that someone could point me towards? I'd appreciate any help!

Also, does it matter if I'm playing it on the PS4? I don't have a gaming PC, the PS4 is my only option for now.

Dahbomb

Doguri's Vergil tech is still 1 week old.

Those Vergil taunts were swag though.

How do I get better at this game? I've been a big DMC fan for a long time, but I've never been really good at it. Is there a good guide or something that someone could point me towards? I'd appreciate any help!
There are some guides linked in the OP that you can check out but outside of learning some mechanics in the game it's really a matter of just playing a lot and practicing.

Thanks DarkSlayer :(

Being required to S rank Human mode is supreme stupidity as are achievements not being stackable (so if you beat Devil Hunter you aren't credited for also beating Human mode).

It's almost like they didn't learn anything after 7 years.

No Capcom... we don't want to play this campaign 20 times again for fucking achievements. You already made us play through it twice the first time around.

Pretty much. I cannot stand this campaign at all and having to do each campaign with each story setting 5 times without them stacking is the worst. It's not like it's hard it's just brain numbing. No idea how I sat trough it 7 or so years ago on 360. I think I blanked it from my mind.

Also, Trish's taunt launches? Nice.

gunbo13

Doguri's Vergil tech is still 1 week old.
Yep, it isn't that deep like his Dante. Though I did steal his summon swords pop-up to air stinger trick for side switching. That was a smart. Otherwise it is very difficult to position for that.

Vergil

Going to cover some basic tech concepts for Vergil in case anyone wants to flesh out their skills. Some stuff is early, some stuff I just don't get fully. I'm estimated about 60%, maybe 10-15 hours in. In comparison, to show how early this stuff is for most
players, it took me about 500 hours + with DMC3 Dante to make him do exactly what I want. Not joking :(

Judgement Cut (JC)
JC is the biggest unknown still with Vergil. Players have gotten some weird shit to happen with JC and not everyone has proper explanations. I myself get confused with my own play.

- Chaining
You can chain JC with just inputs. Right after a JC you can buffer for another when Vergil sheaths his sword. The timing is tricky and can produce some unexpected results. I have been able to do multiple JC's in a row without animation breaks on the ground. The timing is not completely understood, it might just be triggered on a few frames, but it basically bypasses the required buffer charge.

- Just input JC
You want to get good with just input JC. The best way to practice is with rapid slash. Your inputs with Yamato [toward + melee + hold melee again, instant buffer + just release]. You can chain these over and over again for cheap kills (or when you want to wipe out stupid plant rooms in BP).

It is good to practice with Vergil's aerial rave pause combo. Launch the opponent on third input and then buffer your charge. Release at the right point for a perfect JC. Next you can practice off Vergil's launcher. Just doing [back + melee + instant buffer + just release] will do the trick.

- Inertia JC
Inertia JC is something that has not been mastered yet. There is a lot of funky stuff you can do with it, including a range of attacks without using lock-on. You can practice pretty easily. With no enemies around do [buffer melee + trick + release charge]. Vergil will do a simple kind of jump into JC.

However, true inertia JC will require an enemy and practice. You can use trick up with sword embedded to JC at opponents. You can not use lock-on and inertia JC in all directions. The true skill is to inertia JC over opponents to side switch. The timing and execution in the air for this is very difficult. I have only done it a few times successfully as the buffer and enemy step cancel can be tricky.

- Enemy step cancel JC
I am pretty much clueless on these, even though I saw in this thread their execution. They are a parlor trick, not very entertaining, but I don't have the execution. I have pulled it off only a few times. If anyone can shed light, feel free, but I'm not going to focus much on repetitive glitchy cancels regardless.

Reverse Attacks (RA)
If you want to get good with Vergil, get good with reverse attacks. Reverse attacks happen when you release lock-on and attack in opposite directions.

- Back-hit
So DMC usually has attacks which hit behind and Vergil is no exception. His delayed aerial rave in the air can be done with an RA and still hit the opponent. I'm sure I will display this in future videos. If you have the correct positioning, you can also get some attacks with hitboxes from Force Edge (FE) and Beowulf to hit on RA. Experiment and practice. Note that Vergil auto-corrects often with aerial JC but I'm working on getting around that.

- Standard RA
You can see an RA I did here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7TBBrPX-o

While I used it for side switching (not completely an RA cause I didn't reverse), it is just as simple to go the opposite direction. In fact, both FE helm breaker and Beowulf starfall in the air are quick enough for you to trick up after downward execution and continue the combo. You can then trick up into lunar phase or aerial raves. Some attacks are too slow but you can try to ESC out of them; try different tricks to remove lag. As usual, experiment.

Aerial Cancels + ESC
So everyone does aerial cancels but it is important to understand what works. Same with ESC even though it is more advanced.

Aerial cancels best:
Pause aerial rave (3rd input)
Lunar phase
Air stringer

Aerial cancels lose:
Starfall
Helm breaker
Aerial rave (3rd input)

Best cancels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQIbLw2n9uM

You can maintain aerial cancels using a core set of moves with your weapons. However, if you weapon switch haphazardly, you will kill your aerials with the "lose" attacks. If you lose an aerial combo, you can often recover with a trick up if you are quick enough. There are stylish opportunities there.

ESC best:
Lunar phase
Aerial rave

Lunar phase is the best move for Vergil to ESC. It is easy to do and works great in all facets. Use it to side switch over enemies for aerials (link below) or cancel ground combos. A little trick I like to use is instant starfall [jump + instant melee] on the ground. You can teleport before and it becomes a super fast launcher [trick + jump + instant melee]. Aerial rave can use ESC (similar to DMC3) on most enemies. You just have to position yourself high enough; try using paused aerial rave to get the height.

Side switch starfall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CXxkok72A0

Swords

Vergil's swords are something that will take months to fully unlock their potential. But I will cover the simple aspects, since only very crazy advanced stuff will come from using them properly.

- Surrounding swords
Used for bounce. Enemies bounce pretty much double the high of normal launchers, works in the air, and can allow stylish moves like going under enemies with air stinger as a side switch. This is all timing and takes a lot of practice to make sense in combos. Happy findings cause I'm not helping ya.

- Blistering swords
Are standard damage unless you know what you are doing position wide. The idea for style is not to use them as just a barrage of projectiles but as a juggle mechanism. This requires very precise movement in order to engage them properly and only the best of the best players will master it.

Final word
I'm going to stop here but there is more to Vergil that I am not covering. I advise serious players to pick up the PC version and turn off damage in BP. Practice and practice, then practice. The really advanced stuff has not been shown yet. I didn't cover DT stuff cause I haven't put enough time into it and can only comment on standard trick down into side dodging, DT explosion, etc... along with different effects for certain attacks. Once I know more, I will share.

Vergil is interesting since I can create most DMC3 style combos with his DMC4 iteration. However, his speed, added moves, etc... along with the DMC4 combo framework unlocks a lot of stuff. People will eventually crack something using a high speed combination of sword juggles, instant JC's, reverse attacks, rapid side switching, unknowns etc... Nothing shown yet matches what is in my head and I'm not enough hours in to show it.

Have fun!

EDIT:
I forgot instant drive and beowulf (melee + trick) cancels! Will talk about them later today.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks for the writeup, gunbo. I think it's a helpful primer for people trying to experiment with Vergil right now, and summarizes the past few weeks of discovery overall.

Also, does it matter if I'm playing it on the PS4? I don't have a gaming PC, the PS4 is my only option for now.

Videos in the OP are a good resource. I'd check them out if you have the time. Otherwise, if youre having specific problems with playing, post about it in here and folks can help you. And the PS4 version is fine. It's just a slight step under the PC version.

gunbo13

Instant Drive & Beo cancels (melee + trick)
There are two attacks for both FE and Beo using melee + trick at the same time. It's standard stuff. However, you can instant cancel them at almost any animation point using trick. This allows you to rapidly attack using initial hits for both or let the animations go a little further.

Instant drive cancels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMxS1UM3xY

To cancel properly, you want to hit the trick button very slightly before the melee button. I have my controller config setup so I just roll the buttons. Get the timing right and instant cancels you get.

So now that I have vented most of it, time for me to go play...
e2gReHG.png

SkylineRKR

Difficulty not stacking actually surprised me. There were loads of last-gen games that already stacked. Probably even the first ones with Achievements.

Wooo!!
GOT PLAT

blackmanjigglydancinglivingroom_zps6324069b.gif~c200

After all that work, where is my DMC5 tease?

1353.gif

Lady BP was not that bad. As usual stage 38 BLitz is always a problem, idk why but he is the most aggressive blitz out there. All the bosses in the game, especially Dante, is a joke to Lady. Her handgun charge shot loop made stage 101 a cake walk.

MegaPanda

You can also buffer Vergil's Round Trip while he's stuck in a Yamato/Beowulf animation.
I made a quick video about it. (i'm new and bad at recording videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGgKCvBNeNs

- attack with Yamato/Beowulf
- Hold the attack button and quickly change to FE
- Release the attack button after the Yamato/Beowulf attack, but before FE shows up on Vergil's body

It's very easy to do with Beowulf attacks. The timing to do this with Yamato attacks is really strict since you could accidentally pull off a Judgement Cut instead.

Dante can do this too but his RT is soooooo slow.

I-hate-u

To achieve the SSS rank for the trophies, does that entail not getting hit? Cause I finished the second mission on DMD with S in all categories, and an S overall with no trophy :(

To achieve the SSS rank for the trophies, does that entail not getting hit? Cause I finished the second mission on DMD with S in all categories, and an S overall with no trophy :(

You get those from defeating the boss while having an SSS style ranking, not from having an S in every category in the mission complete screen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

The SSS's are Smokin' Sick Stylish in battle. Not the S-rank at the end of the mission/level.

I got it from Mission 10, so I know that counts, at least. I'm pretty sure Mission 1 doesn't count.

Mission 1 does count! and there is an easy strategy that also helped me in stage 101

the trick is to bait dante into starting a combo and then jump immediately to land a lvl3 handgun charge shot.
He will recover and then proceed to blow up again, which will give you ample time to charge your handgun. Rinse-repeat

Golnei

effects editing is so much dang work when there's no resources
can't wait to get all the kinks out of this dang thing 'cuz trish's effects look super cool
her default color scheme is like almost criminal

That's a ridiculous improvement - her default effects must have the worst palette possible. Are you planning on going with a different colour for the Sparda effects in the final version?

lol, please post a video or gif. Mods like these fascinate me.

It's not that bad - the top-heavy Dreadnought model without the coat and the chaps accentuating the motion of the hips make it look more unbalanced than it normally would.

tdjhxzn.gif

Lady's walk cycle is a mess, though.

laqlrbs.gif

edit: I really wish someone figures out how to mod in characters as bosses..

As entirely unique separate enemies or model swaps? The former would require a massive amount of work, the latter can already be done over Dante.

Top Bottom