• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

A week extension on the NeoGAF combo entry? Might revise all of my stuff then :D
The tiny jacket Nero's left with when you remove his coat model reminded me a little of Wonder-Red's...

Doing gods work, son.
^I don't think anyone was suggesting that trick JC chaining was a bug. It makes sense given what we know about the respective mechanics.

Pretty much. T'is just a new system mechanic.

gunbo13

I think everyone generally uses Just Frame Judgment Cuts nowadays. The Instant JCs aren't widely coined yet and that is basically going to get confused with JFJCs because JFJCs are "instant" versions of the non JF Judgment Cuts. Maybe Chained JCs is more appropriate but don't know.
Except it gets confusing cause you can chain perfect and non-perfect JCs, which are not instant. You can also chain with varying degrees of animation canceling making what classifies as "instant" a gray area...
I'm partial to the term Just Frame Judgment Cut, I think. Or Just Judgment Cut.
I was as well but had a few reasons I wish it would go away.

1. Just frames or just inputs are not friendly to newcomers. Trying to talk about the depth of certain Bloodborne combat mechanics really made this apparent to me.
2. JC <> jump cancel, ESC = JC. The whole overuse of jump cancel needs to keep stopping over time and something like JFJC reads messy if you don't know what character/game we are talking about.
3. There are way too many variations of Vergil's JC. Every version will be JFJC in people's minds at one time or another. Saying perfect & non-perfect at least will lower the overuse and confusion. And perfect sheathe means you are doing the typical sheathe just input as opposed to other options. I also previously stated, talking about Nero's max act, that it provides visual sense to the moves.

But as I said, I doubt I'll win this one. Just like jump cancel will be used over enemy step cancel.
Ah, I hadn't seen that video. Your write-up is very helpful and welcome, though I think some of the distinctions are blurred or possibly the melding of two separate techniques (if I'm understanding correctly). But otherwise, it's important information to have out there for perusal.
Yes, there is some blurring and I'm not a great guide writer, so all of it is work in progress. The main issue with JCs is not that there are so many variations but also multiple approaches with similar outcomes. You can focus on near flawless timing or concentrate more on cancel ability, where both results are almost the same yet properties are different.

This is why these great YT videos are welcome. They may not cover everything but they cover 90% so what's left to talk about is the unclear remainder of tech.
there's something really weird that i get sometimes where i'm able to release a just-frame judgement cut without the animation actually going off- like the judgement cut slash comes out but i'm already swinging into the second or third part of yamato's air combo.
I've seen this. I have also had JCs come out without animation start-ups during regular attacks, not even mid-combo. Basically it looks like the JC input was a single button press, if you didn't know any better. My first thought to explain these is animation lag covering the animation results of any JC inputs but I have yet to reproduce all the variations I've seen.
Pretty much. T'is just a new system mechanic.
I clarified this, players were initially calling trick judgement cut chaining a glitch or bug. And it has been murkily explained at best in most places. This must be what journalists get when they decide to get a little carried away with phrasing, poor bastards.

Seyavesh

They patched the game? Really? I thought they'd long since abandoned it.

i assume he means the style switcher update, which lets you disable the bgm engine entirely if you still got issues despite deleting the music. though it also improved the general stability of it anyhow

it also added the option to trickster dash cancel anything on the ground which is pretty fun 'cuz now you can do stupid crap like trickster dash out of million carats into prop shredder or crazy dance into whatever

derp, beaten

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not a patch, the style switcher modder was able to make it a bit better.

i assume he means the style switcher update, which lets you disable the bgm engine entirely if you're u still got issues despite deleting the music. though it also improved the general stability of it anyho

it also added the option to trickster dash cancel anything on the ground which is pretty fun 'cuz now you can do stupid crap like trickster dash out of million carats into prop shredder or crazy dance into whatever

derp, beaten

Gotcha, thanks. The style switcher mod has become the all inclusive solution for problems with DMC3. It's great because it's a simple solution to point to, rather than requiring a separate patch, xpadder program, etc. It's as much a fix as it is an enhancement.

gunbo13

It combines various methods together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3E_H-B6M5U

This can still be faster and I have not tested dropping animation lag using ESC.

Capping on PC might require an encode but it is overall way better than PS4. I also found out last night after bitching about PS4 lag that my USB on the controller came loose...second time I did that...oops. Still laggy regardless. :p

Seyavesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKWApSskaA
can you confirm if this qualifies as "instant JC"?
it's the grounded chain judgement cuts i was talkin' about earlier, figure i might as well make a video since i haven't seen anyone do em yet
there's actually a very interesting property on 'em to where they only work if you're holding a direction to move- i assume there's some form of animation transition where the charge holds over for a frame or so and lets you negative edge release another judgement cut based on the timing i've got with it. you can also clearly see it transition to neutral state inbetween cuts

gunbo13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKWApSskaA
can you confirm if this qualifies as "instant JC"?
it's the grounded chain judgement cuts i was talkin' about earlier, figure i might as well make a video since i haven't seen anyone do em yet
there's actually a very interesting property on 'em to where they only work if you're holding a direction to move- i assume there's some form of animation transition where the charge holds over for a frame or so and lets you negative edge release another judgement cut based on the timing i've got with it. you can also clearly see it transition to neutral state inbetween cuts
That's a ground chain JC. DMC3:SE good stuff.

This is an instant JC, though I have yet to get one as fast. I think it requires ESC but haven't tested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMTvwi5lzw

Lady BP run ended at lvl 69. Getting these last 2 trophies is proving to be a challenge. Currently streaming some vergil gameplay @

twitch.tv/darkslayer124

May switch to Nero , got some stuff i wanna try out but enemy health is really limiting my creativity

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone that cares, the DMC3 PC port has had that annoying frame-rate problem fixed a bit.

Everyone should just get the PS2 game and play it on an emulator, it runs better than the PC port will probably ever will.

gunbo13

DMC3:SE shitty port is still the best version. Just delete the music files and have a decent card. I used to run no issue with my old GTX 285, 60fps, no dips.

Fighting Credo in DMD mode made me really want him to be a playable character. He even has summoned swords and a DT!

Eh, yes and no. Too many of his melee combos are way too slow (which is a pretty deliberate choice to make it more possible to dodge them). I'm not sure he has a sufficiently large/viable moveset.

Remember, Vergil in DMC3 only has a viable playable moveset because it's compiling his attacks from *three* different boss battles (though obviously there's plenty of Yamato overlap).

Golnei

Eh, yes and no. Too many of his melee combos are way too slow (which is a pretty deliberate choice to make it more possible to dodge them). I'm not sure he has a sufficiently large/viable moveset.

Remember, Vergil in DMC3 only has a viable playable moveset because it's compiling his attacks from *three* different boss battles (though obviously there's plenty of Yamato overlap).

He wouldn't necessarily have to be a 1:1 translation - the speed and invincibility frames of his existing combos could be altered for the playable version; and the ability to teleport cancel in a manner similar to Vergil would make them much more usable than when AI-controlled. The moveset would probably be the biggest issue - with no new animations, all he has is the summoned swords, ground melee combos, a launcher, Stinger, Drive, spear, his shield and the (incredibly slow) parry that comes off it. Though it could probably be expanded into something viable if existing attacks were modified or iterated on (a melee spear attack, new summon sword formations (maybe with an option for manual detonation), an adaptation of Release and Dreadnought to tie into the shield); possibly padded out with modified animations from other characters.

It might work for the taunts, at least.

4cretnuq9.gif

But there's no real point to making him playable, seeing as the extra work required would probably be on the same level as what went into Trish; but couldn't be carried over into 5.

Narroo

He wouldn't necessarily have to be a 1:1 translation - the speed and invincibility frames of his existing combos could be altered for the playable version; and the ability to teleport cancel in a manner similar to Vergil would make them much more usable than when AI-controlled. The moveset would probably be the biggest issue - with no new animations, all he has is the summoned swords, ground melee combos, a launcher, Stinger, Drive, spear, his shield and the (incredibly slow) parry that comes off it. Though it could probably be expanded into something viable if existing attacks were modified or iterated on (a melee spear attack, new summon sword formations (maybe with an option for manual detonation), an adaptation of Release and Dreadnought to tie into the shield); possibly padded out with modified animations from other characters.

4cretnuq9.gif

But there's no real point to making him playable, seeing as the extra work required would probably be on the same level as what went into Trish; but couldn't be carried over into 5.

...What a cute...sassy...little angel.

4cretnuq9.gif

I'd be into making him an alternate non-canonical DT mode for one of the characters, though, sort of like the extremely-limited-moveset Nelo Angelo DT from DMC3SE.

I'm sad that DMC3SE and DMC4SE Vergil never got the Parry move that was so important to the DMC3 Vergil boss fights; at the very least, Credo's shield would kinda force some sort of inclusion for it.

Agreed that he'd kinda end up being similar-ish to Trish, in the sense that I see the four face buttons ending up as melee/block/teleport/summon swords and teleportation substituting entirely for jumping/rolling.

Mizerman

4cretnuq9.gif

He just wants Agnus-senpai to notice him...at first.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Despite being a fun boss fight, I always found Credo to be an extremely dull character. That goes for most of the introduced DMC4 cast. I'm not totally sure what new he brings to the table except for a shield and spear Spartan motif, which might just be better suited as a weapon for Dante. He'd make it more interesting.

That's not to say they couldn't adapt him to be a fun playable character, because they totally could. I just don't know if I'd really care.

Narroo

Despite being a fun boss fight, I always found Credo to be an extremely dull character. That goes for most of the introduced DMC4 cast. I'm not totally sure what new he brings to the table except for a shield and spear Spartan motif, which might just be better suited as a weapon for Dante. He'd make it more interesting.

That's not to say they couldn't adapt him to be a fun playable character, because they totally could. I just don't know if I'd really care.

I'd agree on that. As a character, he sucked. Everyone new in DMC4 was pretty boring; except "Gloira." She was cringe-worthy.

Kyrie has a nice singing voice though, and I like Nero's Devil Bringer and Exceed mechanics.

Sephzilla

Well it runs in the family I guess.

I'd agree on that. As a character, he sucked. Everyone new in DMC4 was pretty boring; except "Gloira." She was cringe-worthy.

Kyrie has a nice singing voice though, and I like Nero's Devil Bringer and Exceed mechanics.

tR6Sh2s.gif

Agnus is not boring lol and Gloria was not cringe worthy imo. Also Kyrie and Credo didn't have much screentime but I thought Credo did a good job with his emotions when he actually showed up.
As captain of the Holy Knights, you are now under arrest. It is the wish of his Holiness!

I think the problem is there has been a huge gap between DMC4 and the impending DMC5 and the existence of DmC has made people look the franchise under a microscope and be very critical about it when in fact they should not. Each characters played their part and to me the only valid complaint is the poor design of backtracking and boss repetitions. Other than that it easily fits the DMC standard.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Agnus is not boring lol and Gloria was not cringe worthy imo. Also Kyrie and Credo didn't have much screentime but I thought Credo did a good job with his emotions when he actually showed up.
As captain of the Holy Knights, you are now under arrest. It is the wish of his Holiness!

I think the problem is there has been a huge gap between DMC4 and the impending DMC5 and the existence of DmC has made people look the franchise under a microscope and be very critical about it when in fact they should not. Each characters played their part and to me the only valid complaint is the poor design of backtracking and boss repetitions. Other than that it easily fits the DMC standard.

Sorry. Can't say I agree.

I thought Credo was dull the first time I played. I continued to think Credo was dull when I 1000'd the achievements. I continued to think Credo was dull when DmC was released. I still think Credo is dull now that SE is out.

Credo and Kyrie had just as much screen time as Agnus, they just didn't do anything meaningful. Even Credo ' s sacrifice felt flat because his central motivations as a character weren't very interesting or fleshed out.

Kyrie has the personality of cardboard. Agnus' main defining trait is a stutter. Sanctus, when you really get down to it, is just an old dude.

Gloria was interesting, but she's technically not a new character. Mysterious Femme Fatale with a hidden agenda has kind of always been Trish's thing.

Compare this to DMC3 where you have Dante, Vergil, Lady, Arkham, and the Jester (yeah I'm counting him separately. I think they're distinct enough unlike Trish and Gloria), and the difference is quite clear to me. This is why proper characterizarion and charisma in the opposing cast in a DMC5 is incredibly important.

EDIT: As an aside, I totally think the characters were salvagable. And Kyrie could absolutely be made interesting in a future iteration.

Sephzilla

Yeah, DMC5 needs more DMC3-like characters/plot more so than anything from DMC4. The one thing DMC5 needs from DMC4 is Uncle Dante continuing to be the swaggest.

Seyavesh

credo is so nothing of a character that his "noble sacrifice" shit is literally treated as a joke ingame by dante

all the dmc4 exclusive chars are really, really bad but and but i figure that's just another casualty by the unfinished nature of the game

Seyavesh

elaborate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u7x4fRJ8Sw

rewatch the cutscene where it actually happens. he just fucks around after credo gets his ass killed and nero gets kidnapped and then continues doing so while credo is bleeding to death right in scene right behind him most of the time dante is speaking (as in, the shots are specifically framed that way)
then it cuts to seriousmode for about a minute (for credo's garbage exposition death scene) before going immediately going back to uncle dante's funtime hour
it is so tonally dissonant that i can only assume it's the result of frankenstein stitching of the original script

Agnus' design is atrocious.

DMC3's story was incredibly polished, even if it's a simple one. Everything was coherent and gels together really well. The story progresses in a good manner. DMC4's story just felt like random cutscenes of badassery strung together.

Speaking of badassery, I still think DMC3 had the best ones too. DMC4 lacked the snappiness and the craziness of DMC3. 4 lacked... "oomph". It's felt like the difference between Beowulf's pew pew to Ifrit's WHOOMCH WHOOMCH.

NTf_Hs.gif

jt1kDU.gif

8IrV9Z.gif

tumblr_nmf70phelC1rncxkwo5_250.gif

I did like the scene at the intro where Nero ran up to Dante along the sword though. That was pretty good.

Agreed about DMC3 being polished but it was the cheesiest and most cringeworthy of all the games. The riding a bike up a tower made me face palm while playing. I completely get why people love DMC3 though. That game has a lot of flair, flamboyant metrosexual(ness) covered in cheese to it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
miqQGNih.jpg

the time has come and so have i

Made a sorta sketchy attempt at Bloody Palace after I cleared Devil Hunter since I don't have all the blue orbs and was missing 4 pips of health, but I did this before with Nero and figured I still had it in me.

Maybe one day I will get competent with Dante and do the same, but I currently need to rest my index finger from all that charge shot 3 carry. Atleast this gave me a massive boost of proud souls so I can now afford every move before I dig into Vergil.

Sephzilla

Agreed about DMC3 being polished but it was the cheesiest and most cringeworthy of all the games. The riding a bike up a tower made me face palm while playing. I completely get why people love DMC3 though. That game has a lot of flair, flamboyant metrosexual(ness) covered in cheese to it.
Sorry, DMC1s LIIIIIIGHT scene trumps everything in 3. I'd also say the reboot is more cringe worthy too, but that's due to its bad writing and try-hard-ness

Seyavesh

nothing will ever be as cringeworthy as the sniper abortion scene of "the world is your bitch and so am i"
or "my dick is bigger"

nothing

but i figure folks don't really count it in there because it's so far ahead in the competition that it's a no-contest otherwise

edit:
to be on topic though, has anyone found anything interesting with trish yet? i've still been trying a buncha crap and having none of it come to avail stylewise besides weird gimmicks with the v-divider's properties

also wondering if there's any tricks in regards how to pandora buffers for super duper long? i've found that you can do divekick->pandora on enemies to where you'll pass through them with the divekick and then slide into a naturally reversed pandora shot which launches them into the divekick trail

edit:
here's some stupid crap involving sparda that barely count as anything:
with sparda combo b you can skip over the wave slashes straight into stinger- you doubletap the sparda button at the right moment and that's it. makes me wonder if there are other strings that follow this property
BXsP3W5.gif

her aerial rave has an insane hitbox and will let you do a 360 while attacking with it. depending on the launcher you can actually hit the entire combo in reverse
R1rLAXD.gif

Mizerman

Nah, the "I should've been the one to fill your dark soul with LIIIGHT!" still trumps as being the most cringey in the series. And the less said about the reboot's writing, the better.

If that is the reaction you got out of that scene, then this genre or really this franchise isn't for you.

About dat dere DMC4SE Capcom style tournament... looking for some feedback. These 3 vids were captured in a 3 hr session and im going through the process of elimination of find the best one to submit.The deadline is monday for round 1. Any feedback is welcome.

They want creativity yet the difficulty they chose means scarecrows die in a ridiculously short amount of time and the terrible location means enemies are always slightly out of reach but what can you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG0YfixLQsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8dRNvr_iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP_jlUIjOKU

Top Bottom