• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

miqQGNih.jpg

the time has come and so have i

Made a sorta sketchy attempt at Bloody Palace after I cleared Devil Hunter since I don't have all the blue orbs and was missing 4 pips of health, but I did this before with Nero and figured I still had it in me.

Maybe one day I will get competent with Dante and do the same, but I currently need to rest my index finger from all that charge shot 3 carry. Atleast this gave me a massive boost of proud souls so I can now afford every move before I dig into Vergil.

good work!
yeah Nero was the first character i finished BP with... If I had to rank the characters from easy to difficult for completing BP, it would be:
Vergil
Lady
Nero
Trish
Dante

So there's like 5 days left to submit entries to GAF True Style tournament and entry count is still pretty low.. So come on DMC Gaf submit some entries! Quote to reveal submission form (at bottom, google form in email field).

Tournament thread, with full list of rules:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076690

[Entry format]
  • 30 seconds entry max of stylish gameplay (combos/combat that you think looks good).
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
  • Lady and Trish entries due 22nd of July 12:01 am.
  • Vergil Entries due 23rd of July 12:01 am

Golnei

Red and Blue are almost done. Vergil's DT coat tails would work well to make up the rest of Blue's coat, but unfortunately the model's attached to the rest of his torso...

credo is so nothing of a character that his "noble sacrifice" shit is literally treated as a joke ingame by dante

all the dmc4 exclusive chars are really, really bad but and but i figure that's just another casualty by the unfinished nature of the game

Credo was an empty shell, essentially. His visual design and basic concept were okay; but he had negligible characterisation or development, he did nothing interesting and nothing interesting happened to him. Was he even mentioned once after his pointless sacrifice?

EDIT: As an aside, I totally think the characters were salvagable. And Kyrie could absolutely be made interesting in a future iteration.

They're salvageable, but even the DMC2 characters could be rewritten into something worthwhile with that degree of reconceptualisation. And Lucia probably has much more potential than Kyrie on that front if one were to be brought back...

Though I do agree that the non-Kyrie characters had more of a base to build on compared to their equivalents in 2 - it's an absurdly low bar to clear, but at least they managed that much.

I'd be into making him an alternate non-canonical DT mode for one of the characters, though, sort of like the extremely-limited-moveset Nelo Angelo DT from DMC3SE.

It could work as an addition to Prototype Nero; but it'd also be interesting to see what more could be done if they decided to expand on Corrupt Vergil's gimmick. A character which had access to multiple fundamentally different DT transformations/characters instead of weapons, each with their own subsystems similar to the Disaster or Concentration gauge, could allow for a limited implementation of the character switching / assist concept without forcing the entire game to conform to it.

saher

Banned
playing for the first time, what the huge amount of puzzles? i like how the camera is similar to the first dmc and the combat is really fun but the areas and the bosses are boring.

So after 9 missions, Lady is kinda boring to use. Anyone else think so?

lady is generally boring to use imo. That being said the campaign of this game gets tedious if it isn't the first playthrough.

Also waddya guys think of Capcom making SFV characters unlockable?

I've spent the "EVO Weekend" going through the game with Lady and seeing what she can do. Yeah she isn't for everyone but she does have some pretty fun stylish stuff. My main problem is that she has little to no cancels, you have to commit to a lot of her moves.

lady is generally boring to use imo. That being said the campaign of this game gets tedious if it isn't the first playthrough.

Not a fan of it.
We didn't like it in SFIV.
So then they made all the characters available in SSFIV

Then they repeat the same problem again in SFV
But this time they can push their DLC Microtransaction to let us have what we want right away. DMC4: SE felt like them testing the idea.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did this game ever get patched?

Not yet. They're still taking bug reports.

She's really limited, just like Trish. They were both made on a restricted budget. I almost view them as "previews" of any future incarnation of them.

It's a good pro-consumer move, adopting a pseudo-f2p model almost. We paid for expansions and characters in the past. This time, we won't have to fully upgrade the game and abandon the "vanilla" version. It's less stringent, more fluid, and allows you to either spend real money or earn in-game currency. The only potential downside is if Capcom decides to overcharge for characters since you can earn them in-game. Considering how smart this decision is, I'm optimistic that the implementation will be well done as well.

Not a fan of it.
We didn't like it in SFIV.
So then they made all the characters available in SSFIV

Then they repeat the same problem again in SFV
But this time they can push their DLC Microtransaction to let us have what we want right away. DMC4: SE felt like them testing the idea.

The problem is that there will never be a "complete" roster with the first iteration of any fighting game. This isn't exclusive to Capcom. Literally every fighting game out there now has DLC characters now or expansion efforts. It's either implement this new system, or rehash the past with a SUPER or AE and alienating a good portion of the vanilla players. This new system promotes choice for consumers, which is a good thing.

Son Of D

She's really limited, just like Trish. They were both made on a restricted budget. I almost view them as "previews" of any future incarnation of them.

Definitely. They don't even have "Super" costumes which is a shame. The idea of Lady with instant charging just sounds fun and hilarious. I hope they do get fleshed out better in DMC5 though, there's potential there that a proper time and budget would help fulfill.

Someone seems to have found a fix for the PC version's crashing. I made it through 2 levels with no crashes, when previously I was stuck on Mission 3 forever because it would always crash. Still would prefer they actually patch the game, since I've now copied Windows dll's and hex edited the game's exe just to make it work adequately.

I'm having trouble doing Vergil's Kick 13 while locked on. He frequently starts the attack and then immediately cancels it into a teleport.

Do you always use Super Nero? EX-Caliburs are great for the shield , also walking to da pope instead of jumping to him after his shield breaks makes him hop backwards less.

On another note i went with this as my final entry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8jkuNIunr0

The surplus of fodder enemies has me playing for efficiency not creativity which is bad. Honestly mission 2 was an awful choice as a backdrop .

Someone seems to have found a fix for the PC version's crashing. I made it through 2 levels with no crashes, when previously I was stuck on Mission 3 forever because it would always crash. Still would prefer they actually patch the game, since I've now copied Windows dll's and hex edited the game's exe just to make it work adequately.

I'm having trouble doing Vergil's Kick 13 while locked on. He frequently starts the attack and then immediately cancels it into a teleport.

Yeah, it's pretty unacceptable how there hasn't been a single word about a patch. The bug report thread is nice, but means nothing in the long run if the issues aren't addressed. My issues have been mild (XSplit not detecting the game and stuttering on certain moves like Rising Star), but I know other players have it much worse.

I just finished missions 13 and 14 for the first time in 5 years. I don't know if it's just me getting old, but I have never been this mentally exhausted in my gaming life since... the last time I played a dungeon crawler.

Also it is just me, or this game's Melee + Style moves are considerably less forgiving to execute than other action games' double button press moves (thinking of Bayo torture attacks, MGR dodge/executions, Ninja Gaiden windrun/ninpo)? I'd love this input method to be a staple in the next game, and the input window be made more generous.

gunbo13

So there's like 5 days left to submit entries to GAF True Style tournament and entry count is still pretty low.. So come on DMC Gaf submit some entries! Quote to reveal submission form (at bottom, google form in email field).

Tournament thread, with full list of rules:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076690

[Entry format]
  • 30 seconds entry max of stylish gameplay (combos/combat that you think looks good).
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No easy automatic mode.
  • No Super Costumes.
  • All levels of Bloody Palace can be used.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
  • Lady and Trish entries due 22nd of July 12:01 am.
  • Vergil Entries due 23rd of July 12:01 am

Are we doing 30 seconds with taunt or without? Would be great if taunt wasn't counted as it is wasted footage or would need be cut out entirely.

Are we doing 30 seconds with taunt or without? Would be great if taunt wasn't counted as it is wasted footage or would need be cut out entirely.
Good question, I think if you go a couple seconds after the time limit with a taunt that's fine, but the taunt is included in the time limit. Otherwise everyone might want to resubmit an entry.

Seyavesh

so i guess my dumb effects recolor mod is more or less to the point where i'm happy with it besides pretty major things that i don't know how to fix

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t1n3zn4iva2102h

i ended up replacing trish's overdrive effect with dante's bc it's the exact same but with the color scheme i want
and also i added the full house effect to trish's divekick so that it appears when it hits an enemy. i wish it triggered all the time but i can't find vergil's starfall effect to see if it works properly with trish's divekick to make the effect always come out as it looks even cooler on the rare occasions that it comes out when her divekick whiffs
itmisA8.gif

Golnei

so i guess my dumb effects recolor mod is more or less to the point where i'm happy with it besides pretty major things that i don't know how to fix

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t1n3zn4iva2102h

It's fantastic; thanks for uploading it. The unaltered Drive sparks and lighting effects are minor enough to not really be an issue, though hopefully you manage to replace them as well eventually.

Also, have you considered swapping Luce & Ombre's muzzle flash with the one from Lady's Two Hand / Trigger Happy? It'd probably fit the rest of the colour scheme fairly well.

Seyavesh

It's fantastic; thanks for uploading it. The unaltered Drive sparks and lighting effects are minor enough to not really be an issue, though hopefully you manage to replace them as well eventually.

Also, have you considered swapping Luce & Ombre's muzzle flash with the one from Lady's Two Hand / Trigger Happy? It'd probably fit the rest of the colour scheme fairly well.

if i knew the effect IDs for stuff i definitely would but man, digging through trish's was pretty hellish

Tuffty

I love the pacing and narrative buildup of DMC3 up to the final battle with Vergil.So it's such a letdown to go to the final boss with an old man which is just break shield -> break guard -> wail on him a bit -> repeat.

gunbo13

Still the problem, Vergil kills shit way too fast. Good luck pulling off any extravagant combos outside debug when most enemies fall in a few seconds.

His play really is more like a true style tournament or broke.

Golnei

The Claire reskin is done, if anyone wanted it.

It'd have been nice if there were a way to isolate Kyrie's hair from the headpiece that she wears in the opening, but Lady's hair recoloured doesn't look that bad.

if i knew the effect IDs for stuff i definitely would but man, digging through trish's was pretty hellish

It must have been painful, especially since her effects are undocumented. The closest I came to doing something similar was attempting to replace the Sky Star glyphs with Agnus' portal and giving up after the first few hours of trial and error. I can't exactly blame you for not wanting to torture yourself further, given the amount you've already done...

T.O.P

Banned
Ok i bought this last night, started a playthrough with Virgil on normal and i'm up to chapter 12

Loving the game (apart from the awful level design)

But i'm having huge problems against the guys with the shields, especially when in group, i can't seem to understand their attack pattern at all and the shields itself are a huge pain in the ass to me

And second thing, is there some kind of evasion skill? his teleport/B Button thingy seems to be more of a "in yo face" follow up skill than an evasion one

I'm asking because sometime i just want to get the fuck out a group of enemies kicking my ass and i have no idea how

Sephzilla

Ok i bought this last night, started a playthrough with Virgil on normal and i'm up to chapter 12

But i'm having huge problems against the guys with the shields, especially when in group, i can't seem to understand their attack pattern at all and the shields itself are a huge pain in the ass to me

And second thing, is there some kind of evasion skill? his teleport/B Button thingy seems to be more of a "in yo face" follow up skill than an evasion one

I'm asking because sometime i just want to get the fuck out a group of enemies kicking my ass and i have no idea how

Vergil's DT gives him teleport options to disengage

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Each character has their own maneuverability options. Vergil can only teleport away with Trick Down in Devil trigger. That said, you can use his Grim trick as an evasion up close because it has generous invincibility frames.

Universal dodge options are side roll and jump. The regular jump has substantial invincibility at the startup so you can use it as a dodge. Side roll has more recovery, but more lateral movement.

For the Angelos as Vergil, try rapid slashing straight through them to come at them from behind.

Still the problem, Vergil kills shit way too fast. Good luck pulling off any extravagant combos outside debug when most enemies fall in a few seconds.

His play really is more like a true style tournament or broke.

That's what I've been saying from the start. Even the top players. We've all been like "yeah, Vergil is broken. Like stupid Broken".
Yeah it's established Dante is a broken character in this game. But he's fun broken.
Vergil is just stupid broken. He needs tweaking.

TreIII

With Sengoku BASARA 4: Sumeragi launching this week, I get to have both it and DMC4SE to occupy my stylish action game time. Easily one of the best summers in gaming I've had in ages.

Happy 10th to DMC's little brother, BASARA, on the same token.

Dahbomb

Nah Vergil is pretty damn fun too.

Also it was established day -90 that Vergil was broken. I don't know why people are stating the obvious a 100 times already.

Might as well start saying the sky is blue and water is wet.

Nah Vergil is pretty damn fun too.

Also it was established day -90 that Vergil was broken. I don't know why people are stating the obvious a 100 times already.

Might as well start saying the sky is blue and water is wet.

Yeah Vegil is hype, but he just needs tweaking is all.

Also, there was a Capcom DMC4: SE Tournament. Did. Not. Know. That.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...-4-special-edition-style-tournament---round-1

Also, the water is wet? Did. Not. Know. That.

With Sengoku BASARA 4: Sumeragi launching this week, I get to have both it and DMC4SE to occupy my stylish action game time. Easily one of the best summers in gaming I've had in ages.

Happy 10th to DMC's little brother, BASARA, on the same token.

Oh yeah! Only a couple days now...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What do you mean? Should they nerf his damage?

What are Vergil's best moves for juggling and jump canceling?

Vergil just has ridiculous damage, ridiculous hitboxes, ridiculous invincibility, ridiculous mobility... he's ridiculous. He's practically a super character. That said, he seems sort of built for LDK mode, and he was admittedly designed to be incredibly powerful even there by Itsuno. I think they'd balance him out more in a future iteration.

Vergil can juggle with everything. Summon swords, blistering swords, Roundtrip, Starfall, Yamato Air combo B... even DT air stinger if you teleport cancel the end of it. Vergil's teleport makes enemy step canceling almost superfluous (almost). He has unlimited teleports/moves in the air. There are no restrictions. And there are technically no height restrictions on his air moves either (since you can switch from Beowulf which has no height restriction, into another weapon immediately after leaving the ground). Enemy step canceling with Vergil is mostly about position now, rather than maintaining combos.

gunbo13

Vergil is super turbo Akuma with a 10 frame advantage. I'll be interested to see how the Capcom style tournament goes with him because he kills stuff way too fast. I have long detailed combos, trust me, but everything I fight aside from bosses dies before I can even get started. I can do sick stuff in debug but with damage on my stuff gets turned to boredom. Nothing survives nearly long enough.

The Claire reskin is done, if anyone wanted it.

It'd have been nice if there were a way to isolate Kyrie's hair from the headpiece that she wears in the opening, but Lady's hair recoloured doesn't look that bad.

It must have been painful, especially since her effects are undocumented. The closest I came to doing something similar was attempting to replace the Sky Star glyphs with Agnus' portal and giving up after the first few hours of trial and error. I can't exactly blame you for not wanting to torture yourself further, given the amount you've already done...

You should tweet that to itsuno. So good.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
About to buy this for ps4. Are the graphics about the equivalent of dmc4 on high settings on PC?

As good as High, but maybe not as good as the highest setting? The textures are better than the original version, but there's a distinct lack of solid AA. There's also added motion blur and depth of field, which are intended to be enhancements but some people don't like them.

Here's the digital foundry face off:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-face-off

Rean

Hey DMCGAF, I finally got my hands on the physical version after being away from home for a couple weeks, and I'm gonna giveaway the Lady and Trish alternate costumes with the 300000 red orbs code because I probably won't make another account since I already have the costumes on the digital version. If anyone wants the code be the first to quote this.

That the gloria and dmc3 one? I'd take them.
PM'd

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hey DMCGAF, I finally got my hands on the physical version after being away from home for a couple weeks, and I'm gonna giveaway the Lady and Trish alternate costumes with the 300000 red orbs code because I probably won't make another account since I already have the costumes on the digital version. If anyone wants the code be the first to quote this.

That the gloria and dmc3 one? I'd take them.

Top Bottom