• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sigmaah

AENbIBw.png

Special thanks to : GuardianE, CrackPebbles, Dahbomb and AgentLampshade for their contributions to the OT!!!

Platforms: PlayStation®4, Xbox One, PC
Genre: Stylish Action
No. of Players: 1
Rating: ESRB M (Ages 17+) / PEGI 16 / USK 16 / OFLC "M"

top_icon_usrb_pc.png

Release date and pricing information:

June 18, 2015 for Japan Only

¥ 4,490 - Physical
¥ 4,157 - Digital
¥ 7,398 - e-Capcom Exclusive Limited Edition

June 23, 2015 for NA and EU

NA: $24.99 - Digital Only
EU: £19.99 / €24.99 - Digital Only
Playstation 4
Xbox One
PC (Steam)

pro_package_img01.png

Are there any pre-order bonuses?

Yep! DMC3 costume for Lady and Gloria costume for Trish. These are available for all first print copies.

J08z7zT.jpg

These costumes should be available for purchase separately at a later date.

Additionally, pre-ordering digitally on PSN gives you a free DMC4SE Theme:

z5ObGCz.jpg

Digital only? Ugh. Any way I can get a physical copy?

Yes, digital only for NA and EU. Asia and Japan have physical copies that are available for import. They are not region locked and the Asian versions have BOTH FULL English and Japanese language support!

Play-Asia current has the Asian version available for pre-order for $32.99:

PS4

Xbox One

There is also the e-CAPCOM Exclusive Limited Pizza Box Edition
hAuyFSV.jpg

Includes:

Game: Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition
Artbook: Production Note (B5 Size 64p Full Color)
Soundtrack CD: Premium Music Selection
Original Collection Box
Special Cover Jacket (3pcs)
7398 yen

devil_may_cry_4_pizza_box_2.png

Since it's exclusive and e-Capcom doesn't ship outside of Japan, you'll have to go through a third party proxy like dv8cag to get it (http://www.dv8cag.com/). Or you can go through a site like nin-nin at a slight premium:

http://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/japa...-edition-e-capcom-limited-edition-ps4-en.html

9,990 yen+shipping or around $83 before shipping.

Play-Asia and Nippon-Yasan have sold out of their Pizza Box Editions.

If I import the Japanese or Asian versions, will they have English options?

Asian versions will feature full English voices, menus, and subtitles. The Japanese version will have full English voices and menus, though some of the decription text might be in Japanese only. It could also have English description text available, but we don't know yet.

Is DLC region locked if I import (for pre-order Lady and Trish costumes)?

Yes, though you can make an Asian or Japanese account to download those costumes onto your PS4/Xbox One so you can access them.

If I already own DMC4, why should I get this? What new content is being added to the Special Edition?

-Three completely new playable characters!: Lady, Trish, and Vergil

For overviews of each new character, Gregaman of Capcom-Unity provided livestreams of each, archived here for your perusal:
Vergil Livestream Part 1
Vergil Livestream Part 2
Trish Livestream
Lady Livestream

For just the combat introductions of each of the 5 characters in the game, refer to the following videos:

Vergil
Trish
Nero
Lady
Dante

Dante is the most complex character in an action game yet. You can be playing Dante for half a decade and still be "not good" with him. The other characters are far easier to pick and learn. Vergil is in between Nero and Dante where has easy mobility and chaining of combos between enemies thanks to his teleport acting as an analogue to Nero's Devil Bringer and his Judgement Cut using a timing based system for perfect releases. Like Dante he also has weapon swap but doesn't have the insane Style switch of Dante so he fits perfectly in between Nero and Dante. Lady and Trish are the easiest character in the game.

Vergil will have the entire campaign to himself from start to finish, whereas Lady and Trish will split the campaign in the same way that Nero and Dante split the campaign in the original story. All three characters are available in Bloody Palace mode.

-Legendary Dark Knight Mode (previously exclusive to PC)
This mode will throw hordes of enemies at you, filling the screen with baddies for you to take out. This is as musou as DMC gets.

-Turbo Mode (previously exclusive to PC)
Gamespeed increased by 20%

- Auto Save functionality
The game now saves automatically every time you clear a story mission, meaning you can keep playing as much as you want without having to worry about saving your progress!

-New costumes for each character (Lady and Gloria costumes shown previously as DMC3 Lad and Gloria)

-New color palette swaps for default costumes of each character

sys_ex-cos_img01.png

sys_ex-cos_img02.png

-New cutscenes bookending the campaign for the new characters

-Hi-res textures from the PC version

-New Achievements/Trophies/Trading Cards

Vergil also comes with a Super Vergil costume (unlimited Devil Trigger and Concentration Gauge), like Dante and Nero. Trish and Lady do not have Super versions.

Additional DLC (aka Microtransactions)

sys_dlc01_img01.png

Unlockable content, such as game modes, Super Nero/Dante/Vergil, Proud Souls, and Blue Orbs, can be purchased as add-on content. You can unlock this content by playing the game on Devil Hunter difficulty and above. If you've played DMC4 previously or if you would just like quicker access to the content, you also have the option to unlock it by purchasing it as add-on content.

Can I remap the controls?

Yes! And it's encouraged for certain characters. You can actually save a button layout per character, so you don't have to keep swapping back and forth.

Are there new battle themes/music?

In-game it doesn't seem so. There are new tracks for Vergil, Lady, and Trish, but as far as we know they only play during their respective cutscenes.

Any changes to the existing characters/game/balance?

Tweaks to existing game:
-Quicker "Speed" (sprint) activation
-Red/Proud Orb economy adjusted for quicker leveling
-Dice minigame has been adjusted in a minor way to make it easier to get your desired number
-Lady has a new voice actress (Kate Higgins)

-Japanese voice acting; For the first time, you can enjoy DMC4 with Japanese voices:

Nero: Kaito Ishikawa
Dante: Toshiyuki Morikawa
Vergil: Hiroaki Hirata
Lady: Fumiko Orikasa
Trish: Atsuko Tanaka

Dante and Nero are claimed to be fundamentally unchanged.

I prefer the balancing in the original version of DMC4! They're ruining the game I love!

sys_org_img01.jpg

Fear not! Capcom included a code so that you can play the original version of the game:

<PS4>
On the title screen (where "Press Any Button" is displayed) hold L1 and R2, and turn the left stick clockwise twice, then turn the right stick clockwise twice, then press R3 and L3 together to bring up the settings confirmation window.

<Xbox One>
On the title screen (where "Press Any Button" is displayed) hold LB and RT, and turn the left stick clockwise twice, then turn the right stick clockwise twice, then press the left and right stick buttons together to bring up the settings confirmation window.

<PC>
On the title screen (where "Press Any Button" is displayed) type in "devilmaycry" using the keyboard to bring up the settings confirmation window.

When you change to original DMC4 balancing, the logo turns pink as shown in the image.

Are the extra characters playable from the start?

You can start any of the three campaigns (Dante/Nero, Vergil, Lady/Trish) from the get go.

_bonus_art_1__devil_may_cry_4_by_zg1x.jpg

Are the new character campaigns canon? How is Vergil back from the dead?

What actually occurs during the Vergil/Lady & Trish campaigns are not canon. Lady and Trish's cutscenes are "what if" scenarios. The cutscenes for Vergil are canon, but take place before the events of DMC3, when he visited Fortuna.

Can the PC version run above 60fps/1080p?

The original PC port does, and was a fantastic port. We have no reason to believe that this will change with the Special Edition.

What are the PC specs required to play DMC4SE?

MINIMUM:
Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo 2.4GHz, AMD Athlon(TM) X2 2.8 GHz
Memory:2 GB RAM
Graphics:NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8800 GTS, AMD Radeon(TM) HD 3850
DirectX:Version 10
Hard Drive:27 GB available space
Sound Card:DirectSound Support (DirectX® 9.0c)

RECOMMENDED:
Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 3.0GHz, AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz
Memory:2 GB RAM
Graphics:NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 570, AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7790
DirectX:Version 10
Hard Drive:27 GB available space
Sound Card:DirectSound Support (DirectX® 9.0c)

The vanilla game is incredibly well-optimized, scale-able, and 7 years old. It could run on a toaster.

If I already own the PC version, do I get a discount on the Special Edition?

No, but it's already being released at a budget price.

Can you transfer save data from the vanilla version?

Nope.

What is the series chronology?

The timeline goes DMC3, DMC, DMC4, DMC2.

The DMC3 Manga takes place before DMC3
The DMC Anime takes place between DMC1 and DMC4.
The DMC4 Novel takes place some time before DMC4.

Other media related to DMC aren't canon which includes the DMC1 Novel.

latest

This will be my first Devil May Cry. Is DMC4 a good entry point into the series?

I would strongly recommend playing through the series in release order (except for DMC2), from start to finish. DMC1 is a groundbreaking action title that is essentially the progenitor of the entire genre and DMC3 holds up today as one of the greatest action games of all time. The entire HD Collection can be purchased for under $15 off Amazon:

PS3
Xbox 360

That said, DMC4 is largely self-contained and the story focuses on the new protagonist Nero. You won't understand some references and implications, but you definitely won't be lost.

How do I "git gud" at this game? It's not clicking for me. Are there any tutorials?
ChaserTech has a great tutorial series to help new players understand the general approach to combat in DMC4.

Nero Combat Intro and Intermediate to Advanced Tutorial
Advanced Nero Combat video
Advanced Dante Combat Tutorial Part 1
Advanced Dante combat Tutorial Part 2

People are still discovering things with Dante and this game is 7 years old! The fact that these Dante tutorials are unfinished almost seems like a testament to the character. There's always more to uncover.

Also, feel free to ask more specific questions in this thread if you're having problems! There are plenty of players here well-versed in the combat mechanics of this game, or can at least provide you with resources.

Please show me some sick combo videos to sell me on this game.

Your wish is my command!

DMC4 Combo Mad (the original)
Tizza's DMC4: Dango Memorial Contest Entry
Brea's TrueStyle Tournament 4 DMC4 Entry for Dante
Nero vs. 2 Credos; DMD Mode
DMC4 Paradigm Shift by Kuma & Taka
Time of Lucifer by Riceporridge, edited by HuangRSfly
DMC4 Nero Combo MAD Conscious Vientiane

giphy.gif

Ok Ok... I get it.. Dante and Nero have a lot of combo swag but what about these new characters? Can then hang with those two?

The game has just come out so the pros haven't gotten their hands on the new characters yet but rest assured they have a lot of combo swag in them especially Vergil who will giving even the main character of Nero some competition!

giphy.gif

Are there any good mods for DMC4 on PC?

Mods have kept the game thriving on PC for years and years. I suspect that the same will be true for DMC4SE. Things like a training (debug) mode, Gods Must Die, skins, speed adjustment, etc, etc, were all developed by fans.

The above Double Credo fight and Dante vs. Dante fights were made possible via modding.

DMC4 seems good, but what about this other DmC game? Is that any good?

You can visit the DmC Definitive edition OT here. While it was a controversial title when it came out, since then quite a few mechanics changes have been made to the game to bring it more in line with the classic game. It is now a very solid game in terms of game play and mechanics but it is still very different in terms of tones and writing from the original series. Definitively worth checking out if you are a fan of stylish action games.

QzFqFL7.png
eNnrEzS.png
GE0lcHo.png

FnTvf4o.png
nmGaFPX.png
EiON5PH.png

LdVo5GQ.png
zgfs8Nk.png
gMMBvaI.png

vqRTbkd.png
x1tdxXE.png
RYArTLq.png

wNUqrQa.png
LMXbTO2.png
AKGUPH3.png

QjzoMzF.png
esP2nQK.png
dkuemxW.png

SKOrUew.png
f2l63TA.png
PH3uBjn.png

sU9XrKc.png
XVdTPzd.png
Qc10zI4.png

yrwNeXN.png
4dGZMPd.png
sfB4BWF.png

And now... it's time to get a LITTLE MOTIVATED!!!!!

tumblr_npuz5q5vBR1sif74ko1_1280.jpg

Dahbomb

truestyle.jpg

To celebrate the release of DMC4SE, we are holding a True Style tournament exclusively for GAF members! Tournament will be run by GAF user direct_quote.

[Tournament format]
  • 3 categories for each of the new characters: Vergil, Lady, Trish.
  • GAFfers can submit entries for each category, but only win a prize for at most one entry.
  • I'm hoping for at least 10 entries for each character, and if less than that are entered I might cancel that character category. If you are embarassed about how bad you look don't worry because I'll look just as bad (my entry can't win a prize though).
[Entry format]
  • 30 seconds entry max
  • Son of Sparda Difficulty or above (No LDK).
  • No super Costumes.
  • No Piecing together multiple segments(clean cut).
[Submitting Entries]
  • Up to 2 weeks after launch to submit an entry for Trish or Lady (7th of July 12:01 am).
  • Up to 3 weeks after launch to submit an entry for Vergil (14th of July 12:01 am).
  • Multiple entries can be submitted (if you plan this number them please), but you must clarify which entry is picked.
  • Entries will be youtube uploaded videos from any system, and there will be a google form up soon after DMC4:SE launches to submit the url...
[Voting System]
  • Voting starts for Trish and Lady entries 2 weeks from launch, Vergil voting starts after 3 weeks.
  • Each character category will be split into rounds.
  • Gaffers can vote for their favorite entry via Google form for each round(only one vote allowed per round).
  • Winner of a round advances to the next round, eventually crowning a winner.
  • Either will have 24 hours to vote for 1-2 rounds, or 48 hours to vote for 2-4 rounds. Will decide soon (or change if better suggestions come up)....
  • Voting link will be posted in DMC4:SE |OT|...
[Prizes]
  1. Vergil - $40 dollar gift card to Amazon.
  2. Lady - $30 dollar gift card to Amazon.
  3. Trish - $30 dollar gift card to Amazon.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, this is actually happening.

Nice OT

Dahbomb

Let's get this out of the way:

yalp0M.gif

Also the game is out in Japan right now and some people have already beaten the game. Should be streams up for the game online.

We have learned the Proud soul currency is shared so say you earned a total of 50K Souls as Vergil... well you get to use 50K for Nero, Lady, Trish and Dante separately as well! So the leveling process is sped up dramatically for all characters because of this (basically maxing one character would close to max out every other character).

Seyavesh

i went back to play dmc3 on pc again today w artemis gunslinger got reminded why custom controls are so nice

cuz geez my thumb hurts

cant wait to get my dirty hands on trish though, gonna throw all the round trips

LogN

I'm still torn between Steam and PS4.. I have an addiction to trophies :(

That said, nice OT.. ready to rock no matter what Platform I get it on!

i'm on a small break from action games after sinking....180 hours into NGB over the past 3 months, but my body will be ready when this comes out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What are the balance differences that would make someone prefer the original DMC4 over DMC4SE?

Changes to the proud soul/red soul economy and Speed activation, I think. Dante and Nero otherwise appear unchanged. Perhaps there are different leaderboards?

Aww yeah, my copy's in the mail and should be here Friday.

Gives me a couple of days to sink into this before I get caught up in the Arkham Knight vortex.

Lt.Chips

Awesome OT! Looking forward to learning a lot about advanced combat mechanics here. Tuesday can't come soon enough!

Dahbomb

What are the balance differences that would make someone prefer the original DMC4 over DMC4SE?
It's mostly just stuff like faster sprint activation, faster red souls/proud soul acquisition that we know of plus some minor tweaking of the dice puzzle game.

Until we get the game in the hands of more people we aren't aware of any specific balance changes. According to Capcom there are none to Dante/Nero.

That version change is mostly for people who want to do the OG DMC4 speed runs. Under the new DMC4SE changes, the times for DMC4SE and DMC4 would be widely different so you can be on the same level as the OG DMC4 speed runs.

Overall though there is not much reason to pick OG DMC4 version over SE version. The Proud Soul acquisition in OG DMC4 is really, really slow... it takes a long ass time to max out a character.

if i git gud with trish or lady, i'll enter those. i'll leave vergil to the big boys ;_;
I'm going in on all three, don't care how much of a scrub I'll be. It sure as hell won't be as embarrassing as me trying to show off with Dante.

Anyway, one thing I'm probably most curious about that didn't come to mind until now is how the secret missions might be affected with the new characters. Could be easier or harder depending on the character and their tools I suppose. Some of those were tailored very specifically to Nero and his Devil Bringer.

Great OT! My order from Play-Asia has officially shipped!! I can't wait to play this again. One of my favorite games of all time :D

Dahbomb

People should not be dissuaded from entering the NeoGAF Style tournament. Most of us our scrubs even the OG DMC fans here (including myself in DMC4). Most of the vets here haven't played DMC4 in years and it will be new characters anyway.

It's mostly just stuff like faster sprint activation, faster red souls/proud soul acquisition that we know of plus some minor tweaking of the dice puzzle game.

Until we get the game in the hands of more people we aren't aware of any specific balance changes. According to Capcom there are none to Dante/Nero.

That version change is mostly for people who want to do the OG DMC4 speed runs. Under the new DMC4SE changes, the times for DMC4SE and DMC4 would be widely different so you can be on the same level as the OG DMC4 speed runs.

Overall though there is not much reason to pick OG DMC4 version over SE version. The Proud Soul acquisition in OG DMC4 is really, really slow... it takes a long ass time to max out a character.

Perfect, thank you. Since I'm not a hardcore player or anything, I'll just stick to DMC4SE mode

Juraash

Decided I really wanted a physical copy so I just snagged one for PS4. Haven't played this game in a long time, super stoked to play it again.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
if anyone's played the japanese version yet, i have only one very important question:

drink it down. is it still in?

Top Bottom