• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition release date, pricing, gameplay trailer, and costumes

Sephzilla

There actually was a huge meltdown on GAF.

Probably not completely reflective in that thread but you had other threads being made on GAF at the time. And even then... look at the god damn body count in that thread.

You also have to realize that back then GAF wasn't as big so even if that thread didn't get as much post count/view it was still a meltdown.

Yeah I feel like that thread isn't giving the full picture. But man, so many tombstones in that thread

Sesha

I don't see DMC5 being exclusive to PS4. With SF5, Sony gains a brand name fighting game to compete with Killer Instinct. While DMC5 would raise the profile of the PS4 a bit, like Bayonetta 2 did with the Wii U, Sony wouldn't really gain much as they already have God of War.

Maybe if Capcom approached them about it, which is certainly possible.

If DMC5 is announced as PS4/PC exclusive, we'll probably get this type of reaction again.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147121

Calling out Dahbomb. Calling out Dahbomb.

Where is your messiah now, bitch?!?

Dahbomb, what's up with this? lol

...So many gray names.

Walking into old topics from years ago is almost always like walking into a graveyard.

That thread is surprisingly alive as far as old topics go. There are plenty of topics just a year or two old that are littered with corpses.

I'm surprised by how many posters I recognize in that topic, though.

BadWolf

I don't see DMC5 being exclusive to PS4. With SF5, Sony gains a brand name fighting game to compete with Killer Instinct. It would raise the profile of the PS4 a bit, like Bayonetta 2 did with the Wii U. But they wouldn't really gain much as they already have God of War.

Sony pursued Street Fighter because it's freaking Street Fighter.

Killer Instinct doesn't pose any kind of threat, never has.

BadWolf

That's not really what he's saying.

The point is Sony didn't have to pursue SF because KI was a threat, they got it because it's a well established IP with a lot of fans.

Same reason they would pursue DMC5 even if they have GOW. How many other Japanese action games are there that can compare DMC in terms of recognition and sales?

Sephzilla

Even though they inhabit the same genre I'd argue that God of War and Devil May Cry appeal to slightly different audiences.

Sesha

Sony pursued Street Fighter because it's freaking Street Fighter.

Killer Instinct doesn't pose any kind of threat, never has.

If they hadn't secured Street Fighter 5, Microsoft would have had an exclusive fighting game, and Sony wouldn't. If the Xbox One had KI as well as SF5, MKX, the inevitable Injustice 2, etc., Xbox One might have been the preferred console for a lot of people.

Sephzilla

Sony locking up SF5 console exclusivity basically secured PS4 as the #1 platform for an entire genre. Locking exclusivity for Devil May Cry would probably do the same for the character action/hack-and-slash/whatever we call it genre. It's not the most gamer-friendly decision (although I'd argue that SF5 being locked to one console helps the online community and competitive scene a ton), but it was an amazingly smart move by Sony

Shauni

The point is Sony didn't have to pursue SF because KI was a threat, they got it because it's a well established IP with a lot of fans.

Same reason they would pursue DMC5 even if they have GOW. How many other Japanese action games are there that can compare DMC in terms of recognition and sales?

Not that this isn't true, but you're arguing something else from his original point. It's not about being a threat or anything like that, it's about securing something you don't have exclusive to your platform that your competitor does.

If they hadn't secured Street Fighter 5, Microsoft would have had an exclusive fighting game, and Sony wouldn't. If the Xbox One had KI as well as SF5, MKX, the inevitable Injustice 2, etc., Xbox One might have been the preferred console for a lot of people.

Exactly.

BadWolf

Not that this isn't true, but you're arguing something else from his original point. It's not about being a threat or anything like that, it's about securing something you don't have exclusive to your platform that your competitor does.

Guilty Gear Xrd.

I said that I didn't think DMC4 would go multiplatform. Glad I didn't bet anything on it though LOL!

going through that (entertaining) thread, you also said Sigma was better than Black

hqdefault.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Very reasonable price. Will get day 1. Santa Monica Studio should take note.

To be fair, this is retailing for around 35 to 40 in Japan, and it's totally worth that. We're getting a steep discount for digital only. Is GOW3 getting a physical release?

Regardless, DMC 4SE is a fantastic value.

TreIII

That thread is surprisingly alive as far as old topics go. There are plenty of topics just a year or two old that are littered with corpses.

I'm surprised by how many posters I recognize in that topic, though.

Yeah, haha.

At the very least, it's no "Epic Mickey". Now, talking about a nice GAF-sized apocalypse...

Sesha

There is one reason Sony might want to secure DMC5 though, and it's probably one of the same reasons they secured SF5. It gives Japan one less reason to care about the X1, and one more to care about the PS4. And since Sony has lost MGS as an exclusive, along with a few other big Japanese Sony-focused franchises, they might want to secure various Japanese franchises to raise the profile of the PS4 among Japanese gamers and fans of Japanese games.

Sony already had GGXrd though.

Guilty Gear Xrd.

True, but hardly anyone is going to buy a PS4 for GGXrd, especially not since it's available on PS3 as well. Though having both GGXrd and SF5 makes the PS4 more appealing to fans of Japanese 2D fighters, it's Joe Arcadestick that Sony is more concerned about.

Yeah, haha.

At the very least, it's no "Epic Mickey". Now, talking about a nice GAF-sized apocalypse...

Oh yeah, I remember that from my lurker days, lol.

I was planning to get this down the line since I have yet to play through DMC 3 , t the pre-order incentive may push me over the edge especially at that digital price.

Shadoken

SF5 has an actual valid point. If Xbox becomes the standard for FGs and if by chance Fighting games were to ever become a huge eSport like MOBAS. MS might have become the preferred platform.

I dont see big benefit for Sony in securing DMC5 as an exclusive. The game is going to sell more on PS regardless since its already leading in sales. They dont really need to care about Japan.

Unless they want a competitor to Scalebound? Who knows how an MS funded P* game might end up becoming. With huge marketting it could become big. But even then I dont see a point , they already have GOW which is a huge franchise.

Shauni

Unless they want a competitor to Scalebound? Who knows how an MS funded P* game might end up becoming. With huge marketting it could become big. But even then I dont see a point , they already have GOW which is a huge franchise.

It's been said that Scalebound is of a genre that Kamiya hasn't done before, so most likely it won't be a DMC type game.

Dahbomb

20.4GB for SE? Any idea how large DMC4 vanilla was?

Also I'm guessing we know nothing about the bonus theme right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8cU3iHR5YU

Here's the theme.

going through that (entertaining) thread, you also said Sigma was better than Black
I don't think Sigma was released at that point, I was probably just going off on information and in that regard Sigma was better on paper. Well until you played it that is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
20.4GB for SE? Any idea how large DMC4 vanilla was?

Also I'm guessing we know nothing about the bonus theme right?

Mullet posted this video of the bonus theme. It plays the upgrade music for DMC4 in the background:
The preorder is up on PSN, at the theme you get for preordering is pretty great.

Made a (very) quick and dirty video of what it looks like.

The PC version of vanilla DMC4SE is 7553MB on Steam, so 20.4GB seems pretty large.

Storm360

Is there any confirmation of English Voice/Text/Subs in the Japanese release? I know the Asian version does, but can't find anything about the Japanese one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is there any confirmation of English Voice/Text/Subs in the Japanese release? I know the Asian version does, but can't find anything about the Japanese one.

Assuming that the Japanese version was played during the CapcomTV event, it definitely has English menus.

https://youtu.be/TTPUqK_sd54?t=2h36m5s

And we know that they'll have English voice options. It looks to have Japanese descriptions, though. It's possible there's an English switch option that wasn't shown here.

Golnei

Either that, or Angelo was the main "border patrol" in Demon World that made it so that Dante and Nero were only left with the few scrubs that Vergil trusted that his brother could handle. The likes of Belial, a mere Fire Hell Lord, was hardly worth the trouble.

The moment that Vergil finds opposition that he CAN'T handle alone is when shit gets real enough that he has to send Dante another "invitation"...

"...Oh, yes, and tell that boy to bring my sword."

Maybe they could release a F2P mobile Papers Please clone to allow players to experience that intriguing chapter of Vergil's life. At least it'd be better than their initial attempt at a DMC4 port...

Eh, I totally disagree. I think DMC4SE is a way of subsidizing the development of some pretty different combat paradigms, honestly, and ought to make doing 5 characters in DMC5 easier than it would be otherwise.

The possibility of easily transferring the 4SE assets is why I actually wouldn't mind DMC5 staying on MT Framework even on current consoles - considering the likelihood of the game having a constrained budget or development cycle, any necessary steps to avoid anything similar to the original DMC4's content issues would be welcome. Carrying over as much as possible from the previous game would likely allow for all 5 to remain playable with substantial expansions and overhauls, rather than having to start completely from scratch; and the DMC4 enemies and bosses would be a good way to provide more variety in Bloody Palace when mixed with the new enemies created for 5's main game - it'd also allow for Dante's DMC4 Devil Arms to be included as an unlockable (similar to Bayonetta 2's Shuraba and Scarborough Fair and to a lesser extent, DMC2's version of Trish) - providing an increase in total weapon variety with minimal work, while also negating the need for Dante to retread the now-stale Ifrit/Beowulf/Gilgamesh derivative moveset for one of 5's new weapons.

I will accept palette swaps AFTER I get the following costumes:

DMC1, DMC2, DMC3, DMC4, DmC Dante costumes with LDK, coatless DMC3 and coatless DMC1... you know the standard that DMC3 set with the costumes.

In any case costumes don't matter much as long as they bring it with the full game.

If they aren't able to add a full set of costumes for every character in the next game, I don't see why there's any point getting angry at the mere existence of palette swaps - they don't take anywhere near as much effort as an entirely new costume or the implementation of an ingame colour editor, and the alternative would be a reduced amount of options for the player.

In an ideal scenario, every character would have 3 or more distinct outfits with around 9 variations each; which would encompass things like coatless or hooded variants and several palette swaps. Of course, the chances of that ever happening are fairly low - if we're lucky, they'll include one alternate palette in the base game and have the rest be confined to DLC.

The possibility of easily transferring the 4SE assets is why I actually wouldn't mind DMC5 staying on MT Framework even on current consoles - considering the likelihood of the game having a constrained budget or development cycle, any necessary steps to avoid anything similar to the original DMC4's content issues would be welcome. Carrying over as much as possible from the previous game would likely allow for all 5 to remain playable with substantial expansions and overhauls, rather than having to start completely from scratch; and the DMC4 enemies and bosses would be a good way to provide more variety in Bloody Palace when mixed with the new enemies created for 5's main game - it'd also allow for Dante's DMC4 Devil Arms to be included as an unlockable (similar to Bayonetta 2's Shuraba and Scarborough Fair and to a lesser extent, DMC2's version of Trish) - providing an increase in total weapon variety with minimal work, while also negating the need for Dante to retread the now-stale Ifrit/Beowulf/Gilgamesh derivative moveset for one of 5's new weapons.

It's not even about assets to me - just about animations and basic design work.

That said, yeah, I think DMC5 should include classic weapons from previous games, and it should DEFINITELY include both classic regular enemies (from DMC1/3/4) and classic bosses (from DMC1/3/4).

DMC4's biggest development issue was probably level assets, anyway, not the creation of enemies or combat design (though yes, Dante suffers slightly for not being designed around the enemies quite as well as Nero is) - and fuck knows we don't want to retread DMC4 levels in DMC5, lol.

Neoxon

Did they literally just port Dante & Vergil's UMvC3 costumes? They came from the same engine, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Dahbomb

Did they literally just port Dante & Vergil's UMvC3 costumes? They came from the same engine, so it wouldn't surprise me.
I don't think it works like that. They had to make that costume within the engine of this game.

These Vergil/Dante costumes were in DMC3 before.

latest

Neoxon

I don't think it works like that. They had to make that costume within the engine of this game.

These Vergil/Dante costumes were in DMC3 before.
But aren't they both MT Framework, or are they 2 different versions of the engine?

I know their source game, but I was hoping for an honest-to-god Nelo Angelo DT alt for Vergil.

Dahbomb

But aren't they both MT Framework, or are they 2 different versions of the engine?
I don't think it works like that.

It would be like saying "hey let me transfer this asset of GGXrd into Gears of War... hey it should totally work it's on the same graphics engine!"

I know their source game, but I was hoping for an honest-to-god Nelo Angelo DT alt for Vergil.

That'd be great to have, but given Vergil's all-new moveset and mechanics I kinda understand how a Nelo Angelo moveset wouldn't fit in with, for example, the Concentration meter.

Top Bottom