• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition release date, pricing, gameplay trailer, and costumes

So if you have her Gloria alt on, that scene where she takes the costume off should only have more Gloria underneath. Should almost be as good as Kakashi having another mask underneath his mask.

Sesha

Look harder, fam.

We in there.

2680551-4504289372-DMC-D.jpg

Good price.

If those are the only extra costumes (palette swaps aside), I'll be annoyed. I never expected to say this, but I want costume DLC.

DMC3 Lady and Gloria costumes are pre-order DLC, so you're getting that as well, lol.

If you like what they did with DmC, sure. Otherwise no.

I think Capcom has been pretty upfront lately, basically saying that they are basing their game development series precedence purely on how their rereleases sell. As odd as it sounds, I think they consider Dmc and Devil May Cry to be two separate series. A DmC sequel would likely differentiate even more from what the mainline series fans would expect.

DmC introduced a ton of features that benefit the series as a whole. More so with the Definitive Edition. Foregoing DmC firsts just because they were introduced in DmC would make future games lesser for it.

Another a reminder that this game releases RIGHT AFTER E3....

Z8hbhna.gif

I can see them skipping an E3 reveal and revealing it at TGS instead. Would be a total Capcom move.

*No "incomplete" characters. I don't want characters like Trish in DMC5 where half of the controller isn't even used.

Trish is an entry-level character, so I don't really mind her not using too many buttons, but the least they can do is declone her moveset along with Lady, give her and the rest back-forward and 360 inputs along with a full set of mid-air inputs, give her a super move and a dedicated dodge button capable of basic Trickster actions.

DMC4SE gets a pass because they were clearly on a budget and time restriction in addition to the game being only $24. Every addition to the game past Vergil is just gravy and was not really planned initially (Itsuno basically only budget for Vergil, everything else he just squeeze in). Capcom better not short change DMC5 like they did DMC4... they better bring the fucking goods.

Now that they've already created three more characters, DMC5 is gonna need a lot more than decloned movesets and a new campaign. It better put every previous game in the genre to shame in terms of content.

Dahbomb

It's sort of a bad thing they put Trish and Lady in DMC4SE.

Now that they are in there's an expectation to have 5 playable characters AGAIN in DMC5 (the 5 stands for 5 playable characters LMAO!). That means less individual focus on each character and that means either re-used assets and moves OR less focus on the level design and the enemies.

If they don't have 5 playable characters then people will be like "where my Lady/Trish playable? Capcom be short changing us again!"

Now that they are in there's an expectation to have 5 playable characters AGAIN in DMC5 (the 5 stands for 5 playable characters LMAO!). That means less individual focus on each character and that means either re-used assets and moves OR less focus on the level design and the enemies.

If they don't have 5 playable characters then people will be like "where my Lady/Trish playable? Capcom be short changing us again!"
Naw it's DMCV, for Vergil's return (and campaign).

Dahbomb

Aww yiss....

Can't wait for the trailer where Vergil returns and schools both Nero and Dante at the same time. Because while those two were goofing around with scrub level demons... Vergil was in hell training.

Just focus on Dante and his campaign and it reflect his style of gameplay and have any extra characters they want playable in BP or whatever extra modes.

dwdark

Neo Member
System Requirements

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo 2.4GHz, AMD Athlon(TM) X2 2.8 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8800 GTS, AMD Radeon(TM) HD 3850
DirectX: Version 10
Hard Drive: 27 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound Support (DirectX® 9.0c)
Additional Notes: Monitor size: 1920 * 1080 or below

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 3.0GHz, AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 570, AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7790

Dahbomb

I don't think DMC5 is going to go back to single playable character again. There are just too many mechanics in the series now to put on one character.

And the fanbase is always thirsty for playable Vergil. Would be nice to finally have a DMC game where you don't have to pay extra for playable Vergil...

LMAO @ those recommended stats...

Mik317

Aww yiss....

Can't wait for the trailer where Vergil returns and schools both Nero and Dante at the same time. Because while those two were goofing around with scrub level demons... Vergil was in hell training.

I'd take a game of just that. That sounds beyond badass

I haven't looked in this thread, but the Xbox One version is up for pre-order, no idea if the preload is a thing yet. (Doubt it.) But this version is 20.24 GB.

TreIII

Aww yiss....

Either that, or Angelo was the main "border patrol" in Demon World that made it so that Dante and Nero were only left with the few scrubs that Vergil trusted that his brother could handle. The likes of Belial, a mere Fire Hell Lord, was hardly worth the trouble.

The moment that Vergil finds opposition that he CAN'T handle alone is when shit gets real enough that he has to send Dante another "invitation"...

"...Oh, yes, and tell that boy to bring my sword."

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 3.0GHz, AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 570, AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7790

oh man, my i5-2500k and 8gb ram totally kicks the shit out of the processor and RAM requirements.

my 570 is right on point with the GPU reqs. :^)

Sesha

They should try to cut corners where they can.

- DMC doesn't need to be a graphical beast. They should save graphical bells and whistles for the PC version. Just launch the PC version a few months after the console one to add graphical improvements and PC-specific features.

- Prioritize Dante over the other characters. Better Dante has a solid moveset with few reused moves than him feeling like an afterthought like in 4.

- Reuse Nero's Buster animations.

- Use mocap and animation data from other Capcom games like SF5, UMvC3 and Sengoku Basara and tweak them, instead of doing entirely new mocapping.

- Have a shorter campaign in terms of hours and number of main missions (but more generic side missions are fine.. Have smaller levels, drop platforming and puzzles and instead focus on exploration and artistic cleverness like DmC's upside-down water prison.

- Shorter cutscenes. Many of DMC4's cutscenes are way too long. Focus on quality and APS (awesome per second) over length.

- Fewer cutscenes. Some of the cutscenes in DMC3 and 4 don't add anything storywise. Prioritize the prologue and epilogue, boss fights and new enemy intros, as well as important story scenes. And no generic scripted "area gets closed off" cutscenes.

I don't think DMC5 is going to go back to single playable character again. There are just too many mechanics in the series now to put on one character.

And the fanbase is always thirsty for playable Vergil. Would be nice to finally have a DMC game where you don't have to pay extra for playable Vergil...

LMAO @ those recommended stats...

Which is why they should have one standard campaign that all the characters can play through. Storywise, Dante can be the main priority, followed by Nero and Vergil, but there can be one-off missions that focus on one of the other characters.

Dahbomb

Which is why they should have one standard campaign that all the characters can play through.
DMC4 already does that....

I kinda want a dedicated Vergil campaign though. Like the DmC missions only longer, maybe 10 missions of Vergil and 10 of Dante (but all unique stuff).

No it doesn't, it limits what missions you can play with what characters in a pretty terrible way that restricts boss access.

I kinda want a dedicated Vergil campaign though. Like the DmC missions only longer, maybe 10 missions of Vergil and 10 of Dante (but all unique stuff).
I definitely want this though, as long as you can play Dante's levels with Vergil and vice versa after finishing it once.

Baalzebup

Either that, or Angelo was the main "border patrol" in Demon World that made it so that Dante and Nero were only left with the few scrubs that Vergil trusted that his brother could handle. The likes of Belial, a mere Fire Hell Lord, was hardly worth the trouble.

The moment that Vergil finds opposition that he CAN'T handle alone is when shit gets real enough that he has to send Dante another "invitation"...

"...Oh, yes, and tell that boy to bring my sword."

So he's been owning them with this bare hands + the phantom swords 'till then? Or a spewy of new devil arms borne of all the other devils he has slaughtered up to that moment?

Dahbomb

No it doesn't, it limits what missions you can play with what characters in a pretty terrible way that restricts boss access.
Oh you can't fight Credo as Dante but the rest of the campaign is the same as Nero. And it's the same for Vergil, same for Lady and same for Trish.

And who cares about playing the same missions again when there's Bloody Palace?

The real issue here is that DMC4 doesn't have a Boss rush/select mode, something which needs to be rectified in DMC5.

The campaign needs to be well designed with intricate level design... not the corridor bullshit of DMC4. That's what Bloody Palace is for. It should be a joy to replay the campaign with different characters... not a chore. The best way to make sure your campaign is tedious is to have repetition and needless backtracking in it along with puzzles that just pad the length. DMC5 needs to step up dramatically in this front because most people just play the campaign once and they have to knock it out of the park in that regard.

Eh, I totally disagree. I think DMC4SE is a way of subsidizing the development of some pretty different combat paradigms, honestly, and ought to make doing 5 characters in DMC5 easier than it would be otherwise.

Astral Dog

That September date was false, good.

What do they mean by pre order? why not just include Gloria and DMC 3 Lady on the digital release, these are their only costumes.

A bit dissapointing at the number of costumes, was hoping for more, considering the original never had even a palette swap, at least the Nero and Vergil ones look cool.

edit: Godammit these palette swaps are sweet, Lady-Trish and Trish-Lady :D

Sesha

Through the same levels, yes, but the gameplay isn't the same. Not to mention you have to play through the same levels multiple times with different characters.

I'm all for a unique story for the other characters as long as every character can play through those same levels and you only have to finish a level once on any given difficulty.

Releasing this version now isn't that innocent. I am sure they are preparing a canon DMC5 using Panta Rhei engine (well I hope at least).

Ibuki

Banned
I was also thinking it would be around $40. Day one buy from me, especially with a reasonable price and added content.

BBboy20

Also PSA:

Achievements for DMC4SE are really fucking hard and long.

*Beat every single mode with S rank ratings (that means Human up to Dante Must Die).

*Beat every single boss with a SSS rating.

*Beat Bloody Palace with every single character.

*Beat BP with a S rank and under 2 hours.

And here's the kicker...

*Beat Dante in Bloody Palace (the Floor 101 boss) without getting hit!
They're not going to just copy and paste the in-game ones?

I believe, dahbomb. I believe.
I WANT TO BELIEVE!

Dante seems very "good enougH' after 4 games. Also, isn't the ground work already laid out with this game for the other characters that they can build more on-top of them on the hypothetical next game?

Oh, good one.

Aww yiss....

Hellborne.

Frantic

Only one costume per character? Y'know, I'm not too surprised honestly. Bit disappointing, but I don't care so much as long as DMC5 doesn't skimp out on that area(again). And I knew they'd go with Sparda for Corrupted Vergil costume - good ol' budget saving and laziness.

Glad it's $25 and not $40, though. Makes it a super easy buy.

That's what DLC nickle-and-diming is for, silly!
Though I'd gladly buy additional character DLC for DMC. Not costumes, tho.

TBH, though, I want them to have a clear focus with DMC5 and not worry about adding a bunch of characters for the sake of having them there. I'd vastly prefer a focused package of one or two characters than a less focused package of five.

If they have been working on DMC5 for some time now, would June next year be a reasonable release date? I guess I'm hopefully for a Bloodborne style announcement where the game would be out within a year of the reveal.

Dahbomb

If they have been working on DMC5 for some time now, would June next year be a reasonable release date? I guess I'm hopefully for a Bloodborne style announcement where the game would be out within a year of the reveal.
Not uncommon with DMC, DMC3 was unveiled in 2004 and released in 2005 less than a year later.

Though the underground reports are that DMC5 is still a ways from being released, they don't even expect it to be unveiled this year.

BadWolf

TBH, though, I want them to have a clear focus with DMC5 and not worry about adding a bunch of characters for the sake of having them there. I'd vastly prefer a focused package of one or two characters than a less focused package of five.

It's not like they are just going to dump whatever Dante, Nero etc. have and start from scratch on those characters. They will also be refining and reusing what they have already come up with (just like devs do in fighting games) and adding on top of that.

So I don't really see a problem with them maintaining 5 characters (we are talking about Itsuno and co here, ppl who have made everything from action games, to rpgs and fighting games), in fact it should give them more freedom to try different ideas and cater to different player types. And again, work they do in DMC5 should carry over to future installments.

TreIII

So he's been owning them with this bare hands + the phantom swords 'till then? Or a spewy of new devil arms borne of all the other devils he has slaughtered up to that moment?

I'd like to think that Angelo would still have access to his awesome zweihander, to say the least.

Not uncommon with DMC, DMC3 was unveiled in 2004 and released in 2005 less than a year later.

Though the underground reports are that DMC5 is still a ways from being released, they don't even expect it to be unveiled this year.

Ah, fair enough.

I suppose they would also want to get as much sales from DMC4SE first.

Could be if Sony money hats it like SFV.

They certainly could use that Sony resource. Plus it feels like Sony and Capcom have become pretty buddy-buddy lately.

Top Bottom