• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just goes to show how From is nothing but an industry darling. How the fuck is all of this ignored and the game still scores perfect 10's across EVERY. SINGLE. SITE? You mean to tell me not ONE reviewer said, you know what.. this game is an 8. Not one? They all thought it was perfect?

If Horizon had all these issues at launch, heads would roll. And it did have its issues, and we heard about it in reviews, and scores reflected that...

From game? Looks like a PS3 game, runs like shit .. 10!

gross.

scores did not reflect in horizon forbidden west, you literally had reviewers showing footage of pop in right in front of your face and frame rate tanking, reports of hard crashes and them literally saying things like it a bit of pop in is going to upset you I don’t know what to say (skill up review)

no one marked HFW down for its technical issues. Not what I saw anyway.

the hard truth is, fingers crossed most tech issues are ironed out within a month or two so if you were to knock a game in its review for tech issues then they are resolved, do you put the score up?

hopefully from soft communicates asap.

Mr Moose

I actually don't have COD. I gave up on that franchise long ago.

Should be maxed out on PC at 16X. Not sure about the consoles.

Nah. Less shimmering is due to anti-aliasing techniques whether through texture filtering or post-filtering techniques. If you are talking about the shadows shimmering then I would guess it's because they do a one sample shadow and then blur the edges of the shadows from a framebuffer. Some games like Metro will actually importance sample to the light source.. that means taking many samples to the light source and averaging the result.
It's this video that had me wondering, I didn't know wtf was going on lol

scores did not reflect in horizon forbidden west, you literally had reviewers showing footage of pop in right in front of your face and frame rate tanking, reports of hard crashes and them literally saying things like it a bit of pop in is going to upset you I don’t know what to say (skill up review)

the hard truth is, fingers crossed most tech issues are ironed out within a month or two so if you were to knock a game in its review for tech issues then they are resolved, do you put the score up?

Wait what? What's wrong with Horizons performance?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are you runningi n performance mode? Is there a lot of gamma flicker during gameplay?

this gamma flicking is well over exaggerated, I’ve been playing On a CX since launch and I see gamma flicker every now and again on loading screens, hardly ever if at all in gameplay.

Last edited:

Bojji

In starting area PS5 in performance has obvious frame drops while PS4 BC version is silky smooth.

hTiElKH.jpg
sBXFo0n.jpg
9F0ef3D.jpg
6vYsIhp.jpg

PS5 on top, PS4 on bottom. From really fucked up current gen version of the game...

Edit: TONS of chromatic aberration :sick:

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's this video that had me wondering, I didn't know wtf was going on lol

Wait what? What's wrong with Horizons performance?

That shows Performance mode in CB2077 being low resolution.. That's the aliasing you see.

Horizon has the same thing. Performance mode is way too low res to be viably playable with the reduced quality rendering it has.

Mr Moose

Is there an option to turn it off? It's my least favourite filter.
That shows Performance mode in CB2077 being low resolution.. That's the aliasing you see.

Horizon has the same thing. Performance mode is way too low res to be viably playable with the reduced quality rendering it has.
Seems to bounce around to higher/lower res in the performance mode for Cyberpunk. I chose the the 60fps mode for Cyberpunk but the 30fps mode for Horizon, the latter looks so much worse in the performance mode.
I might be weird and go quality mode on this game :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Watching twitch streams of pc version and it seems fine, a few small stutters now and again..nothing as bad as what I saw in Karak Karak video. Maybe there is something weird going on that is just fudging some configurations of pcs.

Mr Moose

Watching twitch streams of pc version and it seems fine, a few small stutters now and again..nothing as bad as what I saw in Karak Karak video. Maybe there is something weird going on that is just fudging some configurations of pcs.
They might've fucked up only AMD or Nvidia cards. Do any of them have a deal with the game?
Sony is going to release VRR for the PS5 in a few days and everyone will feel better.
Only if FreeSync is supported, otherwise I am SoL.

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

In starting area PS5 in performance has obvious frame drops while PS4 BC version is silky smooth.

hTiElKH.jpg
sBXFo0n.jpg
9F0ef3D.jpg
6vYsIhp.jpg

PS5 on top, PS4 on bottom. From really fucked up current gen version of the game...

seems i'll go ps4 then on my ps5. Question. how are the load times between ps4 on ps5 and native?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

hTiElKH.jpg
sBXFo0n.jpg
9F0ef3D.jpg
6vYsIhp.jpg

Honestly they don't look different going by these screens. I'm sure other areas will show drastic visual differences, but if this is an indicator for the majority of the game, I can see folks playing the PS4 Pro version for the best performance.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are some serious drama queens here. Even in the DF beta comparison, the game looks great. A few frame drops don’t make this a “stuttery mess”. Hyperbole. Enjoy this masterpiece fellow gamers, I’m done with this thread. Nothing to see here.
Not this time. It’s almost never 60. Feels worse than locked 30 game unfortunately.
I am talking about 55fps ps5 performance mode and 35 quality mode.

I do like the image quality and aa used in performance mode though.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Unlocked? Pass. Hard pass. What a jerk move.

Sounds like a great game ruined by stupid decision making.

I feel bad for anyone at that company that both worked hard and had common sense

S0ULZB0URNE

There's nothing to prove. The digital version gives you both versions, it's obvious the physical will do to. Isn't the same for every crossgen game, apart from those whose upgrades are paid? This isn't rock science.
This is true as I had the option to DL either version.
The issue is when you DL digital it will be the latest version.

REDRZA MWS

Holy shit the irony. You're literally telling people they're making a mountain out of a molehill with video of the game on current patch having worse and more frequent immersion breaking stuttering. And thats just THAT issue.

. . . eyes opened indeed.
You’ve played it yourself? You watch any live streams? Hyperbole . It’s simple, you want to play chicken little and the skies falling over frame rate dips to low 50’s don’t buy the fucking game or get a refund . I’m watching PS5 streams it looks like it’s performing solid to me.

Lokaum D+

Bloodborne is waiting for 7 years to have it issues ironed...but like u said

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Not this time. It’s almost never 60. Feels worse than locked 30 game unfortunately.
I am talking about 55fps ps5 performance mode and 35 quality mode.

I do like the image quality and aa used in performance mode though.
Locked 30 is never better than uncapped and reaching 60. Never.

Bojji

You’ve played it yourself? You watch any live streams? Hyperbole . It’s simple, you want to play chicken little and the skies falling over frame rate dips to low 50’s don’t buy the fucking game or get a refund . I’m watching PS5 streams it looks like it’s performing solid to me.

It's not.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Bloodborne is waiting for 7 years to have it issues ironed...but like u said

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Well, this will probably sell more than bloodborne did lifetime within a week or so and has nearly a million people viewing it on twitch plus rave reviews so hopefully fromsoft gets to work on patching it Asap.

plus, I loved bloodborne and it’s main Fault was frame pacing. Sure, the framerate could tank in the chalice dungeons with co op but most of the time it was a locked 30 with frame pacing wasn’t it?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I still have Horizon to play so its fine...I'll wait for another patch...sucks that it's friday and considering FROM's patching history, these might never get fixed or might get fixed in a month or more. Oh well. I'll test the game tomorrow on PC, if it runs like shit, I'll just chill with Horizon and maybe replay Cyberpunk or some other shit until this gets fixed.

Karak

Could be but there are also a number of people now I am seeing reporting big stutters, I know some streams I saw looked terrible.
BUt then again it also depends on if you are ok with 0, a little, many, or a ton of stutters. And of course all the harrdware stuff

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I'm playing it now. The stuttering is more than apparent, to say nothing of the FPS swings regardless of settings. If that's okay to you to have immersion break, that's cool. Don't though try and square up on people who think it isn't, you ripe cunt (learned that one today).

My only complaint thus far isnt really Elden Rings fault. But after playing HFW for over 60 hrs the last week and change, Elden ring looks like dog shit. Its kinda like the feeling of going from 60 fps to 30 but with the gfxs if that makes sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ugh, get rid of your piece of shit engine already! 45fps in performance mode in game that looks worse than most PS4 open world games. I'm still gonna play it and enjoy it, but that's simply pathetic next to stuff like Horizon 2 (I mean, this looks far, far worse than the ORIGINAL Horizon).

Last edited:

TonyK

Locked 30 is never better than uncapped and reaching 60. Never.
For me rock solid 30fps is better than 55-60fps constantly changing. I'm speaking without gsync, VRR... But, always stable framerate is better than variable framerate, even if variable is higher. I prefer stable 30 than stuttering 60.

hollams

Gold Member
I didn't have any stutters in the intro dungeon, but when entering the open world I've had quite a bit of stuttering. It's a quick stutter but the animation tries to catch up and you move really fast for that same time period and that doesn't feel good. I have a 8700K, 3090. I started the game with the control flow option turned off in the Windows exploit section so that "tip" didn't work.

Last edited:

TonyK

98 on Metacritic. Game needs to be held to a higher standard.

Again... 98 on Metacritic.

Video games are technical pieces of art.

This game should be a technical masterpiece like RDR 2, TLOU 2, GOW, GTA V, etc all were if its going to get such high scores.

It runs like crap and looks like a PS3 game.

People need to hold FROM accountable. They have the talent and the hardware to make better looking games. Its not like they're releasing shit on the Switch. Do better. Demand better.
No From software game has never been a technical masterpiece, probably the opposite, they are gameplay masterpieces. And now people expect they become Guerrilla, Santa Monica, Rockstar only because there is a PS5 cross gen version?

GloveSlap

This would have been the first game I paid $60 for in a long time if the performance was better. I still need to play Dark Souls 3 anyway, so i guess i'll just play that for now and see what happens.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So I did a quick run through the tutorial and here are some graphics impressions:

1) IMO this game is one of the best art directed games I've ever seen. I can only think of a handful of games that have this kind of skill (R&C is one but it shoots for 3D animation). I MUST buy the physical artbook. This alone could make it win Best Looking Game of 2022.

2) FPS stuttering: it's caused by their streaming system when loading in sections of the game into their memory pool. Mine is very brief but I have 64G of RAM and using a 3090 (24G of VRAM). I suspect there is some optimization that can be done there. It's more than likely a single threaded process so I'd presume for PCs they could expand their cache a little further to keep more of the game in local RAM.

3) Running this game at native 4k is an absolute MUST! It brings every single detail out. The videos destroy the visual showcase here as people are recording the game in non-HDR mode where things are drastically desaturated and just wrong.

4) Ambient Occlusion is in and looks good enough. No need for RT AO here.

5) Please set your HDR settings to a value lower than the middle. The game is naturally bright and the color correction isn't where it's supposed to be on default. This will depend on your TV, but I set mine a few notches lower and results are crisp, saturated and detailed.

6) Texture size is good. I can see the details of the normal maps and foliage is also clear and crisp

7) MORE shadows!!!! If this game had shadow casting lights for every light source, it would go right up the top of my list as the best looking game this generation. The artwork is THAT good.

Last edited:

Bojji

Wait wait wait. So it's better to get a PS4 disc version and play it on a PS5 and then upgrade to PS5 down the line?

I don't know how saves behave but right now PS4 version on PS5 is the way to go, even load times are very close and framerate is smooth. Biggest ghx difference is probably reduction of grass/foliage... but It's not worth performance hit.

Top Bottom