• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] NEED FOR SPEED Hot Pursuit Remastered PS5 vs Xbox Series X

On the flip side, it does not drop below 30 there on One x. XsX should double any worst case scenario to 60 here. Surely you’ll agree.
I'd agree if the reason for the drops is some kind of GPU overload. At least on the PS4Pro this isn't the case since the frame rate is mostly similar to all the other zones, which implies that those three curves aren't inherently different compared to the rest of the map, at least GPU load wise. It's a weird issue for sure.

Fredrik

Well, we'll see what happens, but I am convinced that this trend will continue throughout the generation. More resolution in Series X
...with framedrops?

I hate it.

As I’ve said like a million times now, my 4 year old 1080ti runs the Outriders demo way above 100fps with Ultra settings.

My 3 months old XSX runs the same demo at ~55fps with medium(?) settings.

Does that seem logical to you?

Reason - the devs has increased the resolution above what the XSX can handle and I keep the resolution under what my 1080ti can handle.

This generation will be awful if devs keep this up. Higher resolution shouldn’t even be considered if the system start dropping frames.

And as I said earlier for NFS. Why is Microsoft letting a patch like this go live? If it’s just a software problem they should stop it and tell the devs to do better. As far as I know everything needs to be sent in to MS for verification before it goes out to the users.

If this has happened to every game since launch where XSX has performed badly, then the awesome work by Microsoft’s hardware team has been slaughtered by their apparently completely useless software verification team who hasn’t stopped all these versions, resolution has had a higher priority than framerate and that should never happen.

And if this is a lacking quality assurance problem this can continue all generation no matter if new tools arrive or not.
Somebody needs to say - Stop! Do better! This shouldn’t be Digital Foundry’s job but at this point it essentially is.

Last edited:

onQ123

lol

So how the fuck were we playing locked 60fps racers on consoles with HDDs in the past?
It's simple because in the past the RAM was a lot bigger compared to this generation where the RAM only doubled which made data streaming a lot more important this time around.

The XSX version is running 4x the Pro's resolution.
FYI both PS5 and XSX are running at maximum mode, both are native 4K. This isn’t your typical BC patch seen in other games where ps4 pro version runs at 1800p meanwhile Xbox one x runs at native 4K thus when those same games are running at ps5 with uncapped frame rates one would say xsx is better. But in this case both versions of nfs are running at native 4K!

Shmunter

FYI both PS5 and XSX are running at maximum mode, both are native 4K. This isn’t your typical BC patch seen in other games where ps4 pro version runs at 1800p meanwhile Xbox one x runs at native 4K thus when those same games are running at ps5 with uncapped frame rates one would say xsx is better. But in this case both versions of nfs are running at native 4K!
Indeed, but I bet you that is due to 4k being in the Pro version already. If it were 1800p on there, we would get 1800p on PS5. UNLESS the devs weren’t lazy and indeed made further alterations over and above the basic frame unlock we’ve been seeing.

Shmunter

I'd agree if the reason for the drops is some kind of GPU overload. At least on the PS4Pro this isn't the case since the frame rate is mostly similar to all the other zones, which implies that those three curves aren't inherently different compared to the rest of the map, at least GPU load wise. It's a weird issue for sure.
To further complicate matters, it runs locked 60 in the 1080p mode. The resolution is seemingly the cause, a GPU responsibility.

Riky

$MSFT
This has nothing to do with that. The issue exists on the One X vs Pro as well. It has absolutely nothing to do with the hardware.

You honestly think the XsX isn't fast enough to stream data for NFS remaster?

This is literally the Xbox One X version, there is no Series X version and the bug on the Xbox One X version just carries over to Series X as it is the One X version, it's not like the Division 2, Breakpoint, Borderlands 3 or Destiny 2 where it's been patched for Series consoles.
That's why the Series S runs the One S version like all other simply backwards compatible games.

Shmunter

...with framedrops?

I hate it.

As I’ve said like a million times now, my 4 year old 1080ti runs the Outriders demo way above 100fps with Ultra settings.

Reason - the devs has increased the resolution above what the XSX can handle and I keep the resolution under what my 1080ti can handle.

This generation will be awful if devs keep this up. Higher resolution shouldn’t even be considered if the system start dropping frames.

And as I said earlier for NFS. Why is Microsoft letting a patch like this go live? If it’s just a software problem they should stop it and tell the devs to do better. As far as I know everything needs to be sent in to MS for verification before it goes out to the users.

If this has happened to every game since launch where XSX has performed badly, then the awesome work by Microsoft’s hardware team has been slaughtered by their apparently completely useless software verification team who hasn’t stopped all these versions, resolution has had a higher priority than framerate and that should never happen.

And if this is a lacking quality assurance problem this can continue all generation no matter if new tools arrive or not.
Somebody needs to say - Stop! Do better! This shouldn’t be Digital Foundry’s job but at this point it essentially is.
This is the attitude we need to see not just from Xbox gamers. but gamers in general.

Me being on PS5, if it were reversed I’d be having colorful words to be sure.

Zoro7

Banned
If this was an easily fixable issue then why would they have fixed it with the latest patch? Gets you thinking ayyyyy.

A game runs better on series x than ps5... df: it's 12 teraflops plus thunder and lightning.

A game runs better on ps5 than series x... df: it's tools it's the nazi, covid 19, ps5 has no vrr, developers have to fix it on series x, we're going on a protest until it's parity, unacceptable it's herecy 🤣🤣🤣

...with framedrops?

I hate it.

Ideally, devs would always offer options. Resolution mode and performance mode, for example. I assume you're running the demo at 1080p?

Oh and just a hint, your 4 year old graphics card is basically at the same performance level as the XSX. Don't expect miracles.

J_Gamer.exe

So what is it about those steep roadside mountains that makes xbox platforms tank.

Maybe when compared to a normal view in a race there is more sky normally so easier rendering load, in the mountain areas its rendering a lot more actual geometry, or having to stream in more also.

Not the first time we've seen issues...

SX dropped hard when lots of foliage was in view in some games, now mountains close up stress on xbox side... SX the most powerful console *excluding rendering nature close up?

Still odd as one x has it and sx isn't powerful enough to fix it so its maybe hitting a bottleneck thats prominent in xbox hardware and not PlayStation hardware. Sx really should be enought to eliminate those issues but yet it isn't.

The 1080p 60 mode on sx he said was fine so it cant be some code issue that tanks each time regardless. Upping the res makes it too much for xbox systems rendering up close geometry seemingly.

People did say the SX is like a suped up xbox one x so maybe has some of the same bottlenecks or weaknesses. Whereas ps5 has eliminated them.

muteZX

Banned
So what is it about those steep roadside mountains that makes xbox platforms tank.

Maybe when compared to a normal view in a race there is more sky normally so easier rendering load, in the mountain areas its rendering a lot more actual geometry, or having to stream in more also.

Not the first time we've seen issues...

SX dropped hard when lots of foliage was in view in some games, now mountains close up stress on xbox side... SX the most powerful console *excluding rendering nature close up?

Still odd as one x has it and sx isn't powerful enough to fix it so its maybe hitting a bottleneck thats prominent in xbox hardware and not PlayStation hardware. Sx really should be enought to eliminate those issues but yet it isn't.

The 1080p 60 mode on sx he said was fine so it cant be some code issue that tanks each time regardless. Upping the res makes it too much for xbox systems rendering up close geometry seemingly.

People did say the SX is like a suped up xbox one x so maybe has some of the same bottlenecks or weaknesses. Whereas ps5 has eliminated them.

It is possible that the geometry setup or culling triangles phase /something with ROPs/ is in some way inefficient, compromised.

Fredrik

This is the attitude we need to see not just from Xbox gamers. but gamers in general.

Me being on PS5, if it were reversed I’d be having colorful words to be sure.
Haha thanks I guess. I’m definitely not a Sony fan trolling or anything like that, I only have XSX so that’s why I’m critical here. The way they miss the mark is literally affecting me and then I get annoyed. Simple as that.
I don’t have PS5 but if I did I wouldn’t be kind in PS5 focused threads either, I think they’re both missing the mark over and over, just not in the same way.

I’m glad I have a PC as a backup plan though. But I like living room gaming and I’ve invested a lot in sound and I like having the kids beside me, the way my PC is set up makes it hard to be a replacement for consoles, it comes with compromises. Some games play better on PC in every way, others I would very much like to play on console instead.

Last edited:

Rudius

it's damn cool to see games slowly getting 4Kwith unlocked frame rate patch for next gen consoles XSX and PS5. Please keep this going dear publishers, with covid and games getting delayed there's so many older games from 2015-2020 that would sell more when these patches roll out.
All the Assassin's Creed and Need For Speed games need 60fps patches. I'm not interested in all of them, but would buy a few with patches. Also for stuff like the Spyro and Crash trilogies.

Three

Software issues. They happen. Can't just bruce force your way through a flaw in the code (which is clearly demonstrated across both generations of Xbox)

Nothing is funnier than when people call me an Xbox fanboy. I've legitimately proven this otherwise so often with my posts, but whatever. Sail on, sailors.

I have posted like 50 screenshots from my PS5 in the Console OT (moved to the Communities section), and none from an Xbox, because I haven't owned an Xbox in like 8 fucking years.

It kinda sucks that the forum right now is in a state where anyone who doesn't worship everything related to a certain plastic box gets immediately labeled an opposing warrior, as if the idea of approaching either brand with an equal amount of excitement but also objective criticism is just impossible.
All game performance is a "software issue" thereby defeating the purpose of comparisons. Optimising a game is needed when the software isn't performing well on specific hardware and budget/time always dictates the amount of optimisation. Now why is the XSX not performing this task well? That's the interesting question that DF have no clue about.

I was trying to get this concept of install base and time/budget into xbox fans' heads when they were adamant that if XSS become the majority owned console it will have no effect on development for XSX even though they clearly saw the effect of X1S on X1X and now X1X and PS4P on XSS/XSX and PS5. Optimisation is about time and budget and time and budget is dependent on install base and ROI.

S0ULZB0URNE

No it is not. Both are using the new "Maximum" option. Both are doing 4k.
I thought the Pro was running 1080p.
Oh well. I didn't say PS5/XSX weren't 4K though.

This is really wonky.
After reading first page I couldn't bring myself to read any more.
Tldr of the first 6 pages or is it all just dj Khalid?

Three

That's because even GPU tasks are different depending on the view. At that particular section you have a view where you see a great amount of trees and grass at a high draw distance.

If I were to hazard a guess I would say it's fillrate and it's downright bizarre that DF have a hard time just saying that the PS5 has a higher fillrate than XSX and guessing that this might be why it drops on XSX. Grass and trees require it. It was the same for the grass section in Hitman 3 that performed better on PS5.

The PS4 Pro also has a higher fillrate than the XSX I believe. So while the PS4 Pro might not push 60fps throughout that level due to other reasons it doesn't perform any worse on that section because it can handle the required fillrate for the view.

On PS5 at 4k it is solid 60fps and on XSX it isn't because it too probably struggles with fillrate being 4k60fps now compared to previous gen.

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
At the time of writing, The Medium is only confirmed for Xbox Series X and PC. However, Bloober Team recently spoke with VG247 and said that “For now we are just focusing on Xbox and PC.” It is worth noting that this is a similar answer to what was given about Blair Witch, which came to PS4 about 4 months after it released on Xbox and PC. So, whilst, not confirmed The Medium’s PS5 release seems likely.

muteZX

Banned
I still wonder if checking power draw could answer any questions in scenarios like this. Would at least kind of give load values.

Let the XSX run at 66fps before dropping, then drop to 48fps. I can't believe that such a significant decline in the objectively technically banal scene is due to HW. And I'm a SONY fanboy. I assume rather inefficiency on the code side.

That's because even GPU tasks are different depending on the view. At that particular section you have a view where you see a great amount of trees and grass at a high draw distance.

If I were to hazard a guess I would say it's fillrate and it's downright bizarre that DF have a hard time just saying that the PS5 has a higher fillrate than XSX and guessing that this might be why it drops on XSX. Grass and trees require it. It was the same for the grass section in Hitman 3 that performed better on PS5.

The PS4 Pro also has a higher fillrate than the XSX I believe. So while the PS4 Pro might not push 60fps throughout that level due to other reasons it doesn't perform any worse on that section because it can handle the required fillrate for the view.

On PS5 at 4k it is solid 60fps and on XSX it isn't because it too probably struggles with fillrate being 4k now compared to previous gen.

This topic....
The Series X has two times the PS4 pro pixel fill rate (116.8 vs 58.3).
Honestly, many need to take 5 minutes and simply try to think about that point: How a game that runs in 4k 55+fps on XoX (with deeps in these curves) and 4k 50+fps on PS4 pro, can't run 4k 60fps flawlessly on XsX ?? That's obvious that there is a problem in the game code on Xbox consoles...

On PS5 at 4k it is solid 60fps and on XSX it isn't because it too probably struggles with fillrate being 4k60fps now compared to previous gen.
The fillrate explanation sadly doesn't work because the PS4Pro has a lower fillrate than the XOX (29 vs 37 GP/s).

Maybe it's a Windows thing (since Xbox is kinda sorta running Windows). Someone should run the game at 4K on a PC and do a benchmark while driving around those three curves.

Last edited:
The fillrate explanation sadly doesn't work because the PS4Pro has a lower fillrate than the XOX (29 vs 37 GP/s).

Nop, PS4 pro has 64 rops instead of 32 in XoX, the pixel fillrate is around 58.3 on PS4 pro ;)
But yes, that's not the reason, that's just a problem at game code level, the Series X can't run lower than PS4 pro in this curves at it is currently the case !!

how the hell is a remaster hitting 49 fps on the Series X? It's a 360 game.
Person with a half a brain can tell its horrible port job and not related to hardware. My pc with lower specs than SS can do 60fps. Its just pathetic port job by EA who recently said they want to become no.1 racing publisher in the world. Lol

Its funny when PS5 version performs bad then excuse is that devs fault plus its BC game. When SX performs bad, its hardware fault and PS5 beast lool.

Oh look, another person that didn't watch the video and is looking rather silly now. It's a software glitch that also affects Xbox One X, has nothing to do with the hardware, but I'm sure you missed that because it's more important to console war.
You really expect people to watch video and use their brain before posting? Bro we on Gaf, no such thing happens here

Three

This topic....
The Series X has two times the PS4 pro pixel fill rate (116.8 vs 58.3).
Honestly, many need to take 5 minutes and simply try to think about that point: How a game that runs in 4k 55+fps on XoX (with deeps in these curves) and 4k 50+fps on PS4 pro, can't run 4k 60fps flawlessly on XsX ?? That's obvious that there is a problem in the game code on Xbox consoles...
On the PS4 Pro that section has big drops to around 40fps not 50+. On X1X it drops into the 30fps range not 55+. Why would flawless 60fps be a given for XSX? Its 50fps+ on XSX and 60fps on PS5. Whatever it's doing there is clearly taxing.

The Series X can't run lower than PS4 pro in this curves at it is currently the case !!
That's not the case though.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
It's not really close :

nfs2.png

200.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
but according to the video, it is just a section of the track that seems problematic with the underlying code.

@dark10x pretty much said it is not representative of the hardware and they do not take in the dips as part of the results
Section of the track thats repeatable on several tracks. Seems they paid attention to the Hitman 3 conversations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom