• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Valkyria Chronicles PS4 vs PS3 vs PC

MaLDo

Thanks, added to the OP.

AF looks higher to me.
knipselhfyzf.png

I think is no filtering at all with mips disabled, but as I said before, maybe is a problem with the dof effect.

I mean, look at the right, that wall is at 90º with the camera vector so no AF is applied but the texture is more visible in PS4.

Zexen

Thanks, added to the OP.
AF looks higher to me.
knipselhfyzf.png
Doesn't look like AF to me, actually you can see the same filtering line on PS3 and PS4, and as MalDo said, the wall in the back shouldn't receive any AF, yet it's way sharper than PC.

Considering all the shimmering, I'm thinking about mips level too.

Caayn

I think is no filtering at all with mips disabled, but as I said before, maybe is a problem with the dof effect.

I mean, look at the right, that wall is at 90º with the camera vector so no AF is applied but the texture is more visible in PS4.
Hmmm, you're probably right.

Odorono

Banned
.... No it means the softening/blurring by the aa has another level of anti aliasing applied to it. There is no overriding, the games aa implementation can't be turned off.

I know, so you force your own AA and you get bonus in game AA over the top.

Win win!

Zexen

.... No it means the softening/blurring by the aa has another level of anti aliasing applied to it. There is no overriding, the games aa implementation can't be turned off.
Well, then you just have to inject unsharp mask. That's the joy of PC gaming.

Pretty good port. Yeah, the PC screenshots look softer than the PS4 version unless you downsample from 4K.
Not gonna triple dip, but glad its getting a 3rd lease on life.

Are cutscenes retouched for the Ps4? PC version was horrible.
They are upscaled from 720p.

Namikaze

Awesome! I bought the game on PS3, PC, and now I just got my PS4 steelbook. I'm really glad they put some extra work into the PS4 version and it's not just a straight port of the PC version. The series did start on Playstation now that I think about it.

Driver-level AF overrides in-game AF. AA is all but moot when you downsample as you can see in the DF comparison shots toward the bottom.

It might look better on some places, but PS4 version lacks water reflections compared to PC:

Lyu6aZa.png

I got my copy yesterday and couldn't be happier. One of the best games I've ever played.

Nyoro SF

I own all three versions. It doesn't surprise me that the PS4 version has a few tricks the PC version doesn't. The PC version was ported by an outsourced team in the UK, consisting of just 4 people (including one talented software engineer, and one very bad QA dude). The PS4 version was ported from Sega's internal programming team, so they had the luxury of their own in-house tools and knowledge.

That being said though I've watched the PS4 footage a lot and unless you are very much extremely in-tune with graphical changes you probably won't notice. The PC version still offers far superior options overall, not just graphically, but at the same time the PS4 version means more people get to play which is better.

It might look better on some places, but PS4 version lacks water reflections compared to PC:

Lyu6aZa.png

I got my copy yesterday and couldn't be happier. One of the best games I've ever played.

Seeing that image on the right makes me want to play the PC version again haha

Lyu6aZa.png

So, PC version of VC1 remains the only version of VC1 to have reflections?

(To be fair, the reflections added in the PC version actually look a bit dodgy at times, especially up close if you stand next to them. Probably used an inexpensive and quick rendering trick for them.

tebunker

Banned
I had the PS4 version preordered and was already to get it and this would have all been gravy but man, the PC version was just sub $10 at the humble store. I think I paid $4.99 for it.

Just made it hard to justify $24 steel case or not.

Glad that more people are getting the game. I wish Capcom and Sega would continue to take these games they recently put on PC and drop them on Ps4 too.

Though I wonder this: How many of the minute visual differences between the PC and PlayStation versions of Valkyria Chronicles are a result of differences between OpenGL and DirectX?

Particularly, for example, the PC version being the only one to have reflections and glossy shaders, whilst the PS4 version has better texture filtering and such.

Glad that more people are getting the game. I wish Capcom and Sega would continue to take these games they recently put on PC and drop them on Ps4 too.

Wish that too after getting to experience DD on PC. Really deserves a second chance on 8th gen consoles too. Unfortunately, if it DOES happen, it'll be western release only. Capcom, despite releasing PC games in Japan, didn't release DD's PC release in Japan because they didn't want it competing with DDOnline. It would likely be the same case on PS4 since DDO has a PS4 version as well.

ref

Such a great game, glad it's been released on PS4.

The PC version is still the 'definitive' version though, as long as you're alright with doing a few easy tweaks with .ini files and driver settings, all the 'issues' can be fixed.

There are also some nice mods around, such as character models in-game using the higher resolution ones used in cutscenes.

It seems the PS4 version has no water reflections though:
1463926382-vc.jpg

I found also bad that DF didnt forced x16 AF at driver level at all.

TheFlow

Banned
Such a great game, glad it's been released on PS4.

The PC version is still the 'definitive' version though, as long as you're alright with doing a few easy tweaks with .ini files and driver settings, all the 'issues' can be fixed.

There are also some nice mods around, such as character models in-game using the higher resolution ones used in cutscenes.
definite? the OP just proves that the the ps4 version is better at 1080.

klee123

Knew the pro PC people come in to declare how much better the PC version is.

Can't let the console port get any positive attention can't we?

the ps4 version is only 1080 though so it would be dumb not to compare it to 1080 on pc lol..

Why would it be ? If it's possible and in the case of VC, not a demanding game so it's possible on a lot of hardware ?

You're in a DF thread. People are here to discuss tech side of games. Why even bother in the first place if it's to whine ?

Arklite

Great to see they added a bit of extra polish to the latest port. Triple dipped and the steelbook is definitely a worthwhile collectable, solid effort from Sega.

TheFlow

Banned
Why would it be ? If it's possible and in the case of VC, not a demanding game so it's possible on a lot of hardware ?

You're in a DF thread. People are here to discuss tech side of games. Why even bother in the first place if it's to whine ?

what are you talking about? PS4 won XD

Great to see they added a bit of extra polish to the latest port. Triple dipped and the steelbook is definitely a worthwhile collectable, solid effort from Sega.
amen to that. triple dipped.

pc users will always get defensive like in this thread, but that is the nature of the thread. Graphics.

The only thing that would make the pc version better is being able to play it at higher resolutions otherwise there is nothing to talk about :p

when you quoted me there was nothing of the sort? just a confusing post

You asked: Why would we compare the PC version downsampled to the PS4 version which is 1080p ?

I answered: Because it is possible to downsample. And it's possible to do so even on modest hardware.

pc users will always get defensive like in this thread, but that is the nature of the thread. Graphics.

The only thing that would make the pc version better is being able to play it at higher resolutions otherwise there is nothing to talk about :p

Who's defensive ? You call people defensive because they're arguing something ? :p

TheFlow

Banned
You asked: Why would we compare the PC version downsampled to the PS4 version which is 1080p ?

I answered: Because it is possible to downsample. And it's possible to do so even on modest hardware.
Ah I see. you didn't read what I wrote which caused the confusing. Not what I said. don't worry it happens so I will let it slide :D

no need to be defensive :p

Ah I see. you didn't read what I wrote which caused the confusing. Not what I said. don't worry it happens so I will let it slide :D

no need to be defensive :p

As I said, no one is being defensive for bringing arguments.
Also, I did read what you wrote. That's exactly what you said: PS4 version is 1080p, so it'd be dumb to not compare it to the 1080p PC version.

lyrick

Also, I did read what you wrote. That's exactly what you said: PS4 version is 1080p, so it'd be dumb to not compare it to the 1080p PC version.

Then why not capture the PS4 output at 720p when comparing it to the PS3 version?

TheFlow

Banned
yet you wrote something different just a couple post above? get your facts together then come back :p. so defensive

yet you wrote something different just a couple post above? get your facts together then come back :p. so defensive

Did I ?
These are the exact same meaning sentence. In the end you're the one saying the comparison should only be 1080p vs 1080p.
As for being defensive, if you can't handle a civilized discussion, I can't do anything for you. Although, when I read things like "pc users always get defensive" or "PS4 won xD", I think I can clearly see who's being defensive at the moment. :")

TheFlow

Banned
Did I ?
These are the exact same meaning sentence. In the end you're the one saying the comparison should only be 1080p vs 1080p.
As for being defensive, if you can't handle a civilized discussion, I can't do anything for you. Although, when I read things like "pc users always get defensive" or "PS4 won xD", I think I can clearly see who's being defensive at the moment. :")
Woah it is not that serious lad :3.

PS4 version had better results so ps4 won? am I not allowed to stat facts :D

Top Bottom