• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Xbox Series S likely won’t be able to run Xbox One X enhanced content

Hmm. So my 'only' choice for an upgrade from the X is the XSX.

I'm also a little confused about the XSS and how it fits in to microsoft's strategy. It can't play full BC (as in, upgrades not content) and will therefore fall short on the what gamepass can deliver experience wise, not content wise. The XSS also flies in the face of 'most powerful' (X, XSX).

I get the value proposition, but i can't help but think if MS should have added a 4k UHD drive and pulled a 'PS2' with this thing.

onQ123

What if I told you that it take less RAM to run a game at 1080P / 1440P than it does to run the game at 4K? And that these so called Xbox One X enhanced games are still Xbox One games with edited code & sometimes higher quality texture packs.

With that said I'm pretty sure Series S will play the same versions of the games as Series X just at different settings.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
giphy.gif
fucking hell you killed me

Zok310

Banned
MS should have just went with a $399 SX and called it a day.
So now current 1X owners have to pay $499 again to fully benefit from current 1X upgrades with next gen XB.... So every 3 years the XB comunity have to give up $499? Ouch!
So they either downgrade to take advantage of $299 or they spend another $499 in under 4 years to get full benefits.
sounds like a horrible console ecosystem to invest in.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There are a lot more optimizations built into the DX apis. Supposedly xbox one games are still running natively. The below states how less ram could be used.
But again this is all just theories but this thread is just based on theories as well.

"
Asset streaming is taken to the next level, but Microsoft wasn't finished there. Last-gen, we enjoyed a 16x increase in system memory, but this time it's a mere 2x - or just 50 per cent extra if we consider Xbox One X as the baseline. In addition to drawing more heavily upon storage to make up the shortfall, Microsoft began a process of optimising how memory is actually used, with some startling improvements.

"We observed that typically, only a small percentage of memory loaded by games was ever accessed," reveals Goossen. "This wastage comes principally from the textures. Textures are universally the biggest consumers of memory for games. However, only a fraction of the memory for each texture is typically accessed by the GPU during the scene. For example, the largest mip of a 4K texture is eight megabytes and often more, but typically only a small portion of that mip is visible in the scene and so only that small portion really needs to be read by the GPU."

As textures have ballooned in size to match 4K displays, efficiency in memory utilisation has got progressively worse - something Microsoft was able to confirm by building in special monitoring hardware into Xbox One X's Scorpio Engine SoC. "From this, we found a game typically accessed at best only one-half to one-third of their allocated pages over long windows of time," says Goossen. "So if a game never had to load pages that are ultimately never actually used, that means a 2-3x multiplier on the effective amount of physical memory, and a 2-3x multiplier on our effective IO performance."

A technique called Sampler Feedback Streaming - SFS - was built to more closely marry the memory demands of the GPU, intelligently loading in the texture mip data that's actually required with the guarantee of a lower quality mip available if the higher quality version isn't readily available, stopping GPU stalls and frame-time spikes. Bespoke hardware within the GPU is available to smooth the transition between mips, on the off-chance that the higher quality texture arrives a frame or two later. Microsoft considers these aspects of the Velocity Architecture to be a genuine game-changer, adding a multiplier to how physical memory is utilised.

"

BluRayHiDef

Banned
no cerny said they are 62% bigger, not 62% more powerful.

Tahiti is gcn 1.0 or xbox 1s or base ps4, we are looking at polaris which is what x1x is based off of. Polaris was roughly 25-30% more powerful than the tahiti. and rdna is 25-30% more powerful than polaris. which is how DF was getting that 62% figure.

In order for xss to be just as powerful as a 6 tflops polaris x1x, it would need 50% better performance over polaris, but its only 25% according to microsoft and AMD.

4 * 1.25 = 5 tflops
4 * 1.5 = 6 tflops
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I guess this isn't a problem, however, since the Xbox Series S is meant to replace the Xbox One S and the Xbox Series X is meant to replace the Xbox One X.

Would you say that it's sort of like how a 3070 is meant to replace a 2070? The 3070 is more powrful but seems to be intended for gaming at the same resolutions (1080p and 1440p), which seems to be evident based on its 8GB of VRAM, which will be insufficient for games at 4K going forward.

Allandor

Makes sense. It is a budget console, with less memory.
I guess MS can do it for xb360 games, but for xb1 games, developers must write extra patches, so this won't happen.

Maybe extra AF like it was done on xbox one x and maybe MS finds a way to force some sort of AA or something like this, but that's it. It is a low budget console, don't expect premium patches for it.

It's not just the amount of RAM, the RAM speed itself is substantially slower on the S. I suspect the system OS will be pretty slow too. 2 GB RAM running at 56 GB/s doesn't inspire confidence.

10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s8GB @ 224 GB/s, 2GB @ 56 GB/s
That 2GB part should be pure OS-Part. Developers don't need to worry about that.

Last edited:

Doczu

Wait, xbox series S gpu is literally worse than xbox one X gpu, even considering it's rdna 2.0?
It's more modern with features absent in the One X but with less raw power. Think of it like you jump from a mid/high gpu to a newer one, but in the mid/low range.
You get the upgrades from the new generation, but your old card is faster anyways

Armorian

Banned
Base memory for PS4/X1 games:

~5GB

Base memory for 9 gen games:

~7,5/8GB

~25/30% more memory for developers. Worst jump in history, X360 to X1 was 16x.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There are a lot more optimizations built into the DX apis. Supposedly xbox one games are still running natively. The below states how less ram could be used.
But again this is all just theories but this thread is just based on theories as well.

This is about backwards compat; games expecting Xbox One X levels of RAM aren't going to work on XSS.

supernova8

Banned
I have no interest in Xbox really but sounds like bollocks that XSS wouldn't run X1X enhanced stuff. Just because there's 2GB less RAM means games designed around an old shitty laptop CPU won't run on XSS?

It doesn't make sense. Again I'm likely buying a PS5 over Xbox but come on this is nonsensical hyperbole unless we get some receipts.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
That’s according to a new Digital Foundry analysis, which notes that because Xbox Series S has less RAM than Microsoft’s highest-end
current-gen console (10GB vs 12 GB), it’s “almost a forgone conclusion” that its backwards compatible games will be drawing upon the
less powerful Xbox One S versions.

The $300 / £250 Xbox Series S was revealed earlier this week and will target running games at 1440p, with support for ray-tracing, 120fps
and 4K upscaling. The console has virtually the same CPU as the $500 Series X, but a less powerful GPU, less memory and no disc drive.

Within the current-gen ecosystem, Xbox One X versions of games are able to leverage the console’s additional power for higher resolution,
improved texture filtering, and expanded colour detail. One X offers similar improvements when running compatible Xbox 360 titles.

However, because of Series S’s memory deficit compared to One X, it likely won’t be able to run Xbox One or 360 games with the current-gen
console’s enhancements, it’s claimed.

Source

SimpleConstantFeline-size_restricted.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is about backwards compat; games expecting Xbox One X levels of RAM aren't going to work on XSS.

not really if they are running natively. all those things could work automatically. MS have already explained that they are already doing enhancmnets for xbox one games at the api level.
Now if they are running on some VM type of abtraction layer then you would be correct.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
MS should have just went with a $399 SX and called it a day.
So now current 1X owners have to pay $499 again to fully benefit from current 1X upgrades with next gen XB.... So every 3 years the XB comunity have to give up $499? Ouch!
So they either downgrade to take advantage of $299 or they spend another $499 in under 4 years to get full benefits.
sounds like a horrible console ecosystem to invest in.
At least they will work, i'd love for PS5 to be able to play PS3 games at their shitty original PS3 frame rates never mind improved one's

Zok310

Banned
At least they will work, i'd love for PS5 to be able to play PS3 games at their shitty original PS3 frame rates never mind improved one's
Im arguing for a $399 X, everybody wins, so what's your problem and what did PS3 do to you dog?

Lots of people ITT think that only means lower res, but some enhanced games aren't just running at higher resolutions.

Shadow of War can use 4K textures because of the increased amount of RAM on X, this is most likely not going to be the case if you run the game on Series S. Which is a shame if this turns out to be the case, on the other hand there are only very few games that have big upgrades over the normal version.

Borderlands 3 (or any other game with performance modes that sucked on current gen) should run at a locked 1080p/60 on Series S and that is upgrade enough over current gen.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
First of all, doesn't SFS turn the ram deficiency into excess? And couldn't they just run the Xbox one X games at 1440 if needed? (and in some cases at a better frame rate?)

$299 console doesn't set the world on fire. Makes sense to me.

The last time anyone took a big loss on their system was Sony with the PS3 and that wasn't a huge success.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Well, yeah. The XB1X is a 4K console, the XSS isn't.

The XSS is a lot more powerful in other ways of course, but it simply doesn't have the pixel pushing power or the RAM for 4K.

"4k console" label is not important. The S is for next gen, meaning all the enhanced graphics techniques, higher res models, textures, etc. Compare 360 games to Xbox One games (Gears 3 to Gears 4) to remind yourself of what a generation leap looks like. The S is not supposed to be a XB1 X replacement for this gen.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Im arguing for a $399 X, everybody wins, so what's your problem and what did PS3 do to you dog?
It takes up to much room in the cupboard that's what it does. Wouldn't you like bc on PS5 ?

LINK57n.jpg

LINK57n.jpg

Last edited:
I read somewhere that RDNA 2.0 is 62% more efficient per teraflop. Hence, shouldn't we get the following?

4 RDNA 2.0 teraflops * 0.62 + 4 RDNA 2.0 teraflops = 6.48 GCN teraflops
Power efficiency .

I read somewhere that RDNA 2.0 is 62% more efficient per teraflop. Hence, shouldn't we get the following?

4 RDNA 2.0 teraflops * 0.62 + 4 RDNA 2.0 teraflops = 6.48 GCN teraflops

Power efficiency. A teraflop is literally operations per second they are like for like the efficiency is per watt and allows higher clocking etc the efficiency has nothing to do with calculations god people are thick skulled.

Flintty

Hmm. So my 'only' choice for an upgrade from the X is the XSX.

I'm also a little confused about the XSS and how it fits in to microsoft's strategy. It can't play full BC (as in, upgrades not content) and will therefore fall short on the what gamepass can deliver experience wise, not content wise. The XSS also flies in the face of 'most powerful' (X, XSX).

I get the value proposition, but i can't help but think if MS should have added a 4k UHD drive and pulled a 'PS2' with this thing.

The main upgrades to BC have been 4K. People wanting 4K will have the XSX. I don’t see the problem here.

vdopey

Never gonna happen, way too difficult to emulate the cell cpu + SPE's architecture to make the games work accurately or well - this is unfortunately the achilles heel of sony software development / SDK they provide near/actual bare metal access I am sure there are chunks of code within the ps3 engines which make very specific spe calls, which is also why I think this emulator: https://www.rpcs3.net/ is absolutely incredible - gotta hand it to PC as a platform that just does everything

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I guess this isn't a problem, however, since the Xbox Series S is meant to replace the Xbox One S and the Xbox Series X is meant to replace the Xbox One X.

Would you say that it's sort of like how a 3070 is meant to replace a 2070? The 3070 is more powrful but seems to be intended for gaming at the same resolutions (1080p and 1440p), which seems to be evident based on its 8GB of VRAM, which will be insufficient for games at 4K going forward.
the 20 tflops 3070 isnt supposed to be a 1080p or 1440p gpu. it is replacing the 2080 ti which was a $1,200 4k 100 fps gpu.

the 1080p stuff on PC is basically your 5500xt which is a 5.2 tflops GPU. AMD markets it as a 1080p GPU. The XSS at 4 tflops is 30% lower than what AMD recommends for 1080p gaming for current gen.

Radeon%20RX%205500%20XT%20Press%20Deck_09.jpg

The main upgrades to BC have been 4K. People wanting 4K will have the XSX. I don’t see the problem here.
The problem, although it's more of an inconvenience than problem, is that the X is fucking awesome, hardware wise. I would expect a decent leap from the X to the XSS and then a great leap from X to XSX. Otherwise, what's the point?

No wonder MS discontinued the X...

Xenon

Makes sense since its not a 4k console. Not sure what the problem is here. It's like saying "Hey the new base model of car is not as fast as last year's sport edition."

Jon Neu

Banned
But it won't hinder next gen......

How is the Series S not able to run the enhanced Series X settings hindering next gen?

I couldn't give a shit about BC or its enhancements. But what makes me laugh is Microsoft talked about how great its BC is and now they are giving Series S owners a half baked version.

If half baked versions means Gears 5 at 120fps, then god bless those half baked versions.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The problem, although it's more of an inconvenience than problem, is that the X is fucking awesome, hardware wise. I would expect a decent leap from the X to the XSS and then a great leap from X to XSX. Otherwise, what's the point?

No wonder MS discontinued the X...

I think MS has to keep their messaging clear but I still think what they are doing is fine. The Series S is not meant to replace the One X. Usually One X resolution is higher than 1440p so what's the point.

That said, the XSS can be a good upgrade for the One S. For example, RDR2 runs at only 864p on the Xbox One. I don't know what they have to do, but if they can get the game running at 1440p and a better framerate on the Series S, that is not quite XOX, but still a huge upgrade and would look fantastic on a 1080p screen - even a normie gamer would notice it immediately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom