• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diane Lane aka Martha (that one) weights in on Justice League vs The Avengers

Game-Biz

I saw Diane Lane at an airport once. She was behind me in line and was on the phone complaining about a family member or something trying to start shit in her life or whatever and she didn't seem to be in a very good mood. She did look fine as hell, though. The only interaction we had was we she saw me looking at her...I quickly turned away, then I looked back like a second later and she just plainfaced me. meh.

Cuburt

Probably because Clark is 33 by the time MoS begins, whereas Peter is still a teenager in the MCU. Might have looked off to have Supes mum looking just a few years older than him.
Edit: I still can't believe Tomei is 52. She looks amazing for her age.

That's funny though because neither character is the biological parent of their "son". I mean, the real ages still would have worked, but it's obviously an artistic choice that they want to "age up" a woman who looks youthful for her age. I remember people debating if Sony would do the same for Tomei just due to the source material, not because it logistically doesn't work.

I saw Diane Lane at an airport once. She was behind me in line and was on the phone complaining about a family member or something trying to start shit in her life or whatever and she didn't seem to be in a very good mood. She did look fine as hell, though. The only interaction we had was we she saw me looking at her...I quickly turned away, then I looked back like a second later and she just plainfaced me. meh.

Did she try to steal 15 Milky Ways, too?

eizarus

Banned
I haven't watched the clip but assuming that both questions were asked together, the DC fan in me is hoping she was just saying no twice to the first question. But let's be real, was anyone expecting it to match Avengers? Everybody's just hoping it's a decent movie at this point.

Kart94

Banned
LOl

No way Justice League is going to be good. The Avengers is a much better movie than all of DCEU films combined. There is a reason the MCU is well liked and that is because it actually took its time before leading up to the Avengers. DCEU is just rushing with all its garbage movies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Still better than DCEU. And also citations please

I'd day a competent alien army was done much better by DC. No characters had to be needed to retrofit a story. Female characters aren't sidelined/minimalised.

I mean I don't think DC films are competently made, but to say they're without any merit is just childish.

Kart94

Banned
I'd day a competent alien army was done much better by DC. No characters had to be needed to retrofit a story. Female characters aren't sidelined/minimalised.

I mean I don't think DC films are competently made, but to say they're without any merit is just childish.

I didn't say that they aren't without merit. They have talented people on board and has talented people making their CGI and action look good. but the amount of garbage making, the amount of speeding up they have been doing to play catch up to the determent. By the time Avengers rolled around, we basically knew our the main case. We still are in the dark for a large chunk about the Justice League including this Universe's Batman who should have had a film before Justice League which would have explained why Joker is still alive if this Batman is willing to kill and why he is the way he is. The fact that everyone in this universe is a blank boring slate, including Wonder Woman meaning that they had to resort to a phony death scene for Superman when we all know that he is going to be in the next movie in order to make people care about him means that their merits are far far lesser than their failures.

This is just me speaking as a disappointed DC fan.

I think the teamup aspect of this one hasn't been earned as much as it had been by Avengers. For some of the characters all we've seen are Youtube clips and a cryptic time travel scene.

I don't think Black Widow is sidelined in the main Avengers film. Now in Age of Ultron she unfortunately gets damseled for a little while, which sucks, but that's Lois Lane (and Martha Kent's in BvS) narrative purpose, so that's not a win for the DCU column.

Kart94

Banned
I think the teamup aspect of this one hasn't been earned as much as it had been by Avengers. For some of the characters all we've seen are Youtube clips and a cryptic time travel scene.

I don't think Black Widow is sidelined in the main Avengers film. Now in Age of Ultron she unfortunately gets damseled for a little while, which sucks, but that's Lois Lane (and Martha Kent's in BvS) narrative purpose, so that's not a win for the DCU column.

I do wanna mention that for it's flaws, Age of Ultron's Scarlett Witch i feel wasn't sidelined. She does end up doing the final blow to Ultron's main form if i recall correctly.

Sambrez_

"Diane meant "sorry to disappoint" in reference to revealing anything concerning "Justice League" that is not already out in the public, and, was declining to comment on a film (Avengers) that she has not seen.

She is thrilled to continue her role as Martha Kent, and appreciates your excitement for "Justice League".

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to clarify this."

http://comicbook.com/2017/05/12/diane-lane-clarifies-justice-league-comments/

Was pretty obvious for me.

Is brand affinity all it takes to brainwash people into thinking Zack Synder is anything resembling a competent filmmaker?

The sooner WB/DC drops Snyder as a director the better. I want DC films to be good. I do not believe that a good DC film will ever be directed by Zack Snyder.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Is brand affinity all it takes to brainwash people into thinking Zack Synder is anything resembling a competent filmmaker?

The sooner WB/DC drops Snyder as a director the better. I want DC films to be good. I do not believe that a good DC film will ever be directed by Zack Snyder.

Zack Snyder didn't direct Suicide Squad. Nor is he directing Wonder Woman.

Warner Brothers dependable tendency to fundamentally mishandle almost any superhero property that comes their way isn't going to just magically dissapear the moment they get rid of Zack Snyder. A lot of the problems with DC movies exist outside of Zack Snyder's sphere of influence, not just in regards to the way their being written (their biggest problem by far), but a lot of the executive decisions that are made at the top level. Just look at how Suicide Squad was apparently mutilated during editing by studio demand.

Kart94

Banned

Warner Brothers dependable tendency to fundamentally mishandle almost any superhero property that comes their way isn't going to just magically dissapear the moment they get rid of Zack Snyder. A lot of the problems with DC movies exist outside of Zack Snyder's sphere of influence, not just in regards to the way their being written (their biggest problem by far), but a lot of the executive decisions that are made at the top level. Just look at how Suicide Squad was apparently mutilated during editing by studio demand.

Yes, my biggest issue with the DCEU is how it is just trying to play catch up with the MCU without actually taking time to establish the characters in it. Batman himself doesn't even have a solo movie yet, which i feel is a big mistake. Wonder Woman is the only so far not dead character with her own movie and we don't know shit about the backstory of the other major Justice League characters yet. Again, i have to point out Phase 1 of the MCU which righfully gave almost everyone time to know the characters before The Avengers hit.

Sambrez_

Yes, my biggest issue with the DCEU is how it is just trying to play catch up with the MCU without actually taking time to establish the characters in it. Batman himself doesn't even have a solo movie yet, which i feel is a big mistake. Wonder Woman is the only so far not dead character with her own movie and we don't know shit about the backstory of the other major Justice League characters yet. Again, i have to point out Phase 1 of the MCU which righfully gave almost everyone time to know the characters before The Avengers hit.

Batman has like 7 movies where his origins were told at least twice.
Superman has 6 movies before BvS.

Even if it's not the same universe, it doesn't matter, the public know them. Whereas for the MCU, there wasn't any Iron Man, Captain America, Ant Man movies before.

Wonder Woman will have an origin movie, Aquaman too.

Kart94

Banned
Batman has like 7 movies where his origins were told at least twice.
Superman has 6 movies before BvS.

Even if it's not the same universe, it doesn't matter, the public know them. Whereas for the MCU, there wasn't any Iron Man, Captain America, Ant Man movies before.

Wonder Woman will have an origin movie, Aquaman too.

Well i guess they know Batman, but do they know Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash just as well? Oh and Aquaman's origin story is being released after Justice League. shouldn't we know about the others before putting them in the Justice League? Why is Wonder Woman now the only character with her own origin story being released before Justice League. If the MCU was doing this, it would be

Iron Man

Iron Man Vs Cap *Iron Man has a phony death*

Cap's baddies teaming up

Black Widow

The Avengers,

and then finally origin movies for the other Avengers.

That sounds incredibly backwards to me

IconGrist

Well i guess they know Batman, but do they know Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash just as well? Oh and Aquaman's origin story is being released after Justice League. shouldn't we know about the others before putting them in the Justice League? Why is Wonder Woman now the only character with her own origin story being released before Justice League. If the MCU was doing this, it would be

Iron Man

Iron Man Vs Cap *Iron Man has a phony death*

Cap's baddies teaming up

Black Widow

The Avengers,

and then finally origin movies for the other Avengers.

That sounds incredibly backwards to me

Flash has a rather successful tv show (and had another previously) where his origin was explained. Cyborg doesn't need an entire movie to explain his origin so you're really just left with Aquaman and I'd argue most people know enough already.

And besides, it's not like everyone who saw Avengers watched every movie before it. The numbers just don't support that theory. Does it help? Sure. Is it needed? No.

This is true, but I'd like to see how Wonder Woman turns out before I treat what happened to Suicide Squad as a trend. It was absolutely garbage of WB to send it through the woodchipper like that, but it could have been a perfect storm of bad decisions.

You're right, it does go above and beyond Zack Snyder. But even so, if WB were to reform overnight, Justice League is still almost guaranteed to be terrible with Snyder at the helm.

Kart94

Banned
Is surfacefilm some sort of new word made by people who think Batman V Superman was some kind of deep film?

Serious question.

I think i also asked him where he got the news that director/writer admitted it wasn't good. Also, i am not quite sure how people can say BVS is deep, but BVS is darker than the Avengers and so many people mistake darker as automatically deeper. Of course, if BVS was so deep, it wouldn't need to resort to what i call a Phony death.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This is true, but I'd like to see how Wonder Woman turns out before I treat what happened to Suicide Squad as a trend. It was absolutely garbage of WB to send it through the woodchipper like that, but it could have been a perfect storm of bad decisions.

That's very fair, and a policy I should do my best to ascribe to myself. I'm sceptical about Wonder Woman, but I am faintly hopeful it could prove to be something of a dark horse in the way it's received critically. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think i also asked him where he got the news that director/writer admitted it wasn't good. Also, i am not quite sure how people can say BVS is deep, but BVS is darker than the Avengers and so many people mistake darker as automatically deeper. Of course, if BVS was so deep, it wouldn't need to resort to what i call a Phony death.

I spent twenty minutes trying to find the interview he gave and couldn't. It was from 2012 and had a gist of "it's not art, it's a surface level rollercoaster."

And yes, BvS is deeper than Avengers. Not that deeper is a sign of quality, but there are layers and complexities in BvS. Avengers is pretty straightforward and ambiguity free. Which is one it's strengths, and the reason it's usually preferred to AOU.

SpaceWolf

Banned
And yes, BvS is deeper than Avengers. Not that deeper is a sign of quality, but there are layers and complexities in BvS. Avengers is pretty straightforward and ambiguity free.

Layers to Batman V Superman:

1. Batman and Superman are beating the shit out of each other!

2. Superman is a bit like Jesus, huh?

She heard the question. She gave an answer

That bullshit PR blast is just bad spin to placate fans who don't even need to be placated because they're buying tickets regardless what Martha says.

Flash has a rather successful tv show (and had another previously) where his origin was explained. Cyborg doesn't need an entire movie to explain his origin so you're really just left with Aquaman and I'd argue most people know enough already.

And besides, it's not like everyone who saw Avengers watched every movie before it. The numbers just don't support that theory. Does it help? Sure. Is it needed? No.

Why doesn't Cyborg need an entire origin movie? I think you need to read more early Teen Titans. He's actually a very interesting character. If they had tied his origin directly to the Justice League forming the way the comics and Justice League: War did I'd agree, because that'd be Cyborg's origin movie. But we saw in the clips in BvS that he's already had his origin.

Top Bottom