• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Dr Disrespect break twitch

ilfait

Is that not a fake accent?
I'm hispanic and I don't get worked up when people spout fake Spanish gibberish complete with rolling R's. Who gives a shit?
People with a stick up their ass. I love it when comedians like Chapelle do stereotypical white guy accents, or when Baldwin does his Tracy Morgan impersonation. And even if I didn't find it funny, that wouldn't make it wrong.

My definition of racism is not "making fun of or mimicking accents". Because I'm not a psycho.

Last edited:

rbanke

This shit is just too taxing to listen to anymore. Don't like what people say now days? Brand them a racist/misogynist/xphobe/etc and then you can internally justify going after their livelyhood and anything else you like. Who cares about their actual track record in real dealings with people, it's obviously some words that you don't like (or don't like on someone's behalf) that defines them.

Gold_Loot

People with a stick up their ass. I love it when comedians like Chapelle do stereotypical white guy accents, or when Baldwin does his Tracy Morgan impersonation. And even if I didn't find it funny, that wouldn't make it wrong.

My definition of racism is not "making fun of or mimicking accents". Because I'm not a psycho.
Yep. Doc even has many Asian fans that tell him to do the “Chinese guy” at public events.

We should all have a little laugh at ourselves sometimes. Being Italian myself. I still laugh when Eddie Murphy does the little Italian guy impressions.

Some people need to relax and go after real racism. Not this silliness.

Sailent

Banned
I have one question that is bothering me.

I know he plays a role, but all the racist jokes about chinese people makes me put my :/ face everytime. Are those really necessary?

Gotta say it's one of my fav streamers. Seems like a nice guy behind the drapes.

Last edited:

ilfait

I know he plays a role, but all the racist jokes about chinese people makes me put my :/ face everytime. Are those really necessary?

Gotta say it's one of my fav streamers. Seems like a nice guy behind the drapes.
Just a few thoughts:

What racist jokes?

Is humor about saying what's necessary? Is being funny a practical kind of pursuit? Is the ability to be funny off the cuff always compatible with being uncontroversial and safe?

Is it necessary that you take offense or that you view it as racism? Plenty of people don't, so why must you? It's a personal thing, isn't it? A combination of conscious choice but also your individual nature; your personality. Just like how the expression of someone else's personality, and what they see as ethical and unethical is a personal thing.

I'm very careful about criticizing interesting, unusual people whose intention isn't bad, especially if they aren't doing anyone any serious perceivable harm, even if their behaviour may "make me put my :/ face". Because while we have plenty of uninteresting, usual people all over the place, there's a severe lack of spirited unusual ones, and I don't wanna play a part in discouraging that.

Mahadev

TIL Robin Williams, that great fucking comedian and person I fucking loved and became depressed when he died was a racist because you know, accents. I'm getting really annoyed now with this shit.

Sailent

Banned

Just a few thoughts:

What racist jokes?

Is humor about saying what's necessary? Is being funny a practical kind of pursuit? Is the ability to be funny off the cuff always compatible with being uncontroversial and safe?

Is it necessary that you take offense or that you view it as racism? Plenty of people don't, so why must you? It's a personal thing, isn't it? A combination of conscious choice but also your individual nature; your personality. Just like how the expression of someone else's personality, and what they see as ethical and unethical is a personal thing.

I'm very careful about criticizing interesting, unusual people whose intention isn't bad, especially if they aren't doing anyone any serious perceivable harm, even if their behaviour may "make me put my :/ face". Because while we have plenty of uninteresting, usual people all over the place, there's a severe lack of spirited unusual ones, and I don't wanna play a part in discouraging that.

I mean when he goes full "ching chong" and starts babling chinese. Like it or not, it is a racist behaviour :S I enjoy his streams either way, but those bits I do not find funny.

Just that.

Also "I'm not offended therefore you shouldn't" is a really bad argument. It's like... some people like to being fucked up the ass, I don't. You can't come and tell me "well you shouldn't care, it's just a dick dude, haha". If you are not offended by racist comments, good for you, means that you probably live in a cozy bubble, but I have to deal everyday with racists fucks because of my race. So don't "I'm not, so you shouldn't" me.

Last edited:

ilfait

I mean when he goes full "ching chong" and starts babling chinese. Like it or not, it is a racist behaviour :S I enjoy his streams either way, but those bits I do not find funny.

Just that.

Also "I'm not offended therefore you shouldn't" is a really bad argument. It's like... some people like to being fucked up the ass, I don't. You can't come and tell me "well you shouldn't care, it's just a dick dude, haha". If you are not offended by racist comments, good for you, means that you probably live in a cozy bubble, but I have to deal everyday with racists fucks because of my race. So don't "I'm not, so you shouldn't" me.
This wasn't my argument; it's almost the exact opposite of my argument. I was saying that just as you're offended by it, which is a combination of conscious choice and a function of your individual personality, it's not offensive to other people. That it's offensive (or problematic or toxic or any number of these stupid imaginary classifications meant to shame people into submission) is not an objective truth. That it's racist is not an objective truth. Why should someone alter his behaviour by virtue of the fact that it happens to strike you in a certain way? Why should anyone else acknowledge that it's racist because you find it to be racist? I don't. Maybe he doesn't.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I got about 10 seconds in before I wanted to drown myself in dog piss. The whole corny / wacky sunnies big collar thing was embarrassing in the 90s, and just yelling while you play a game is some annoying shit. Congrats to him for being a professional dickhead, though!

I can feel the severe jealousy from here, jesus.

Bryank75

Banned

Just that.

If we were all so uptight there wouldn't be any comedy at all... what a bleak and boring place it would be.

drotahorror

What's fun about him anyway? I don't watch PUBG streams.

I've never watched his stream but I've seen this video of him -

I can see the entertainment value. He also does little skits I guess, if you go to 2:53 in that video.

Not the person I would watch as I don't care much for the theatrics. He is an entertainer though and I think he does well at his gimmick.

I used to watch a lot of twitch but not really anymore. And I probably will watch it even less with the new rules they're coming up with. It's funny that they think these rules are something anyone wants. I would think most of the audience that watch's twitch, participates in the chats and gives money away, break these rules quite often.

TLDR
- Twitch will be banning you from streaming if you do anything they deem as harassment<- From a SJW view, this can be nearly anything they don't agree with.
- If you behave badly on social media, youtube or any other place where you can be screencapped, video'd etc, you will be banned if someone files a complaint.
- Past VODs (previous streams that twitch saves) will fall under these guidelines. People are scrubbing their old videos to avoid the banhammer. Same goes for the twitter and youtube accounts. People are making them private and deleting their whole pages.
- Sexually suggestive clothing? Body Painting (girls are naked and painting themselves)? Allowed still. Dude's are not allowed to take off their shirt though, that's a ban.

Last edited:

pickleslips

Yeah cool, gaf is racist now?
I can feel the severe jealousy from here, jesus.

Jealousy? What is there to be jealous of? He makes something that isnt for me, and it makes me embarrassed for his fans, but I liked corny shit when I was a kid, so all good.

pickleslips

Whoops, sorry the first sentence was in reply to someone else and has nothing to do with this reply. Can you not edit posts here?

i dont get it. he wears sunglasses and a wig....

It's the glorious moustache!

EDIT: After watching drotahorror drotahorror 's video (especially this part), I can understand that his content may not be to everybody's liking, but he strikes me as a pretty self-aware guy that just likes to have a good time and isn't too afraid of making fun of himself. I found his streamer of the year speech pretty heartfelt:

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Not everyone has to get it. I never understood Pewdiepies popularity. I personally find Dr. Disrespect hilarious.

WaterAstro

I see him play Fortnite. Maybe I'll check out what he's all about. Honestly, a lot of streamers piss me off if they do something I don't like. There are very few that I would watch which keep their focus on the game and maintain their integrity as a professional streamer.

MayauMiao

Not everyone has to get it. I never understood Pewdiepies popularity. I personally find Dr. Disrespect hilarious.

Like you, I wasn't a fan of Pewdiepie during his meteoric rise as a video game streamer.

His recent video content talking about stuff like poking fun at politics and happenings made me subscribe to his channel.

Amaranty

Me too, but he's easily the most entertaining streamer I've seen.
I usually watch his compilations on Youtube where he smashes his table and rages while spit is flying out of his mouth. Don't have time to watch the whole stream.

Thabass

Twitch streaming is so beyond my understanding.

This is the reason I can't get in to watching someone stream. It seems the majority act completely fake and have to have stupid noises and ridiculously changing voice levels constantly. Just act normal!

I act as I normally do and get no viewers. So, maybe not.

GamingKaiju

I’m not all into watching people play games but Dr dis-respect is very entertaining. The guy puts so much work into the persona along with his editors, plus he is damn good at games I wish I had his aim and reaction speed.

1161-3-1476957977.png

"Reeks of zoom zoom "

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This guy knows how to entertain. He doesn't even need the wig and moustache.

Anytime some can do a comedy act which combines insults, self-deprecating humour, and as a whole not take things too serious, it's a winning formula.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amen.

Why watch someone play Apex when I can play Apex (for example).
I typically dont watch vids of games I play.

But I'll watch retro videos of old games I never played, or like watching play throughs of old Genesis or SNES games I never finished.

I'll also watch some streamers of YT people playing games I don't play either and being funny at it.

Or watching outright trollers like team killers.

Top Bottom