• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you become a Final Fantasy fan pre or post FF7?

My first Final Fantasy game was FF8. Up to that point i didn't even know what an RPG game was. Me and my friend called it the reading game and we didn't play it for a like a year thinking it was a boring educational game trying to be cool (my god were we wrong). At the time i had a 64 and gameplay was everything to me so I didnt care about the story and my friend cared even less. Well he must have been bored one day because he played the game a little further and thats when we encountered summonings. Holy shit we were immediately hooked. we would only use that to beat monsters and because we didnt understand the game thats all we would do. summon ifrit, now shiva, now quezacotl. over and over again. little by little we started to learn that some monsters can absorb certain elements so we tried using other stuff instead of summonings like magic (we rarely attacked we thought it was a waste and that all the power was in magic and summoning). and then after beating the boss right before the spider robot (which was a hurdle for us) we actually tried to learn the game. I had never known of the previous game. Until I reached High school during the ps2 era did i learn about the previous final fantasy games. Thats when i learned about FF7. so technically I was a fan after FF7 but not because of FF7.

FF1 on NES. My dad taught me how to grind for him even though I couldn't read. Then of course I started playing on my own, and have been on board ever since. Played most of the big RPG's on NES/SNES. I do not regard FF7 extremely highly or anything, FF4 and 6 are the best in the series and my favs. 7 is ok/good at times but thats about it for me. That said I still get and play most of the FF games, pretty excited for FFXV!

LordofPwn

I have yet to complete a Final Fantasy game. but i've been a fan after FFVII. KH was kinda my introduction to FF, and that's when i became a fan.

First I played was 1, but didn't really get into the series until IV (or II here). I think I rented the game on a whim looking for something new to play on the SNES and became hooked.

Greddleok

I've never enjoyed any final fantasy game. I've tried with 6, 7, 8 , 12 and 13 but nothing ever clicked with me. Just don't like the style of writing and find the gameplay to be bland.

I'm aware I'm in the minority, but I'm ok with that.

SpecX

Post. FF7 was what got me addicted to RPG's in the PS1-2 era. I tried them before and never got the premise, but 7 made me a believer and I stayed with the series till 13 which blew it for me.

Flyinmunky

FF7 was first final fantasy i played and its still in my top 5 games of all time.

I enjoyed and completed FF6,9,10.

Started but did not get into, 8,12,13.

Enjoyed ff14 ARR but no longer play it.

FF15 is a day one purchase.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I got Final Fantasy II (IV) for SNES for my 9th birthday and it absolutely captivated me

Post. Played FF6 and I was hooked. Downloaded PS3 FF7 off the Psn store and thought the gameplay was a downgrade compared to FF5 so I still haven't finished the game.

Ragnaroz

My first FF was FF8. Somehow got a demo of it on my PC, and I liked it so I got the PS1 version and played the shit out of it. Later went to FF7 and then I played the older ones on GBA/DS.

Some of muh ealiest memories of gaming are of FF on the NES. I have been fond of the series since then. I kinda lost interest after FFX but I am looking to jump back in for FFVX.

Het_Nkik

Final Fantasy X was my first FF. I'm not young or anything (31), I just didn't care about RPGs.

I've played a bunch of them since, from NES to PS3. IX is my favorite.

DangerStepp

I had played the first FF in my youth, but didn't have the patience and didn't find it all that interesting.

FFVII was flashier and was a pretty big deal at the time for the CGV so it made it a little easier to digest. I was in junior high and Playstation more or less ruled the world so there wasn't a better time to get in to an angsty, strange, Japanese property.

Mercador

Playing since the first one. I was eager to play it because of Nintendo Power, I was drooling on the screenshots.

As many here already mentioned, Europe was in the JRPG dark ages back then. Only the cool kids who were into JP/US imports were able to play these fancy games. All I had were the import reviews in my favourite gaming mags. :(

I remember playing FFVI and VII at about the same time though. ZSNES was released in the same year ('97) and while its early versions lacked a few sound/graphical features, that's were I started to play the whole US Squaresoft backlog.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Prefer the older FFs to be honest.

1 - Classic though 4 warriors is kinda OP. Big fan of it but FFS targeting already dead enemies... -_- high encounter rate... -_-
2 - I like the music at least. Terrible levelling system. Keep that shit to SaGa.
3 - Loved the jobs and the story. Got all the way to the end but got stuck since I wasn't strong enough to beat the final boss and couldn't really level up anymore. Loved the sort of "reveal"
4 - Huge fan of the game. Sick of playing all the iterations though. Got all ultimate weapons AND managed to get the pink tail on my last playthrough. I'm done with it now...
5 - Big fan due to the jobs. Seemed a step back compared to 4 in some departments but I powered through it all. Finished it in Japanese with an English walkthrough and again with the English translation. Those two fucking towers though...
6 - My personal favourite. I wish there were more to it all though. The GBA remake with the extra dungeon was nice.

The SNES games were the ones that really made me a fan. The PSOne games were great. It never really captured the same magic and I hated load times. Was super hyped for FFT as well.
The PS2 games, I loved 10, never played 11, and liked 12 until it falls apart.
The PS3 games, I hated 13.
FF14 I actually enjoyed for a bit.

For 15, I'm kind of ambivalent. I'm glad everything about it seems positive so far, but it does seem to be getting away from what I associated and like about the series. I guess if you want medieval and traditional, you have DQ. I still feel that something is missing that putting Moogles, Chocobos, Airships, and Crystals in won't just make it FF for me.

jett

D-Member
I became a fan with FF4.

300px-Final_Fantasy_II_(SNES).jpg

In fact this game introduced me to the world of RPGs in general, I had never played one before.

kunonabi

I became a fan with FF4.

In fact this game introduced me to the world of RPGs in general, I had never played one before.

I had played RPGS before but hated all of them. Ultima, Dragon Warrior, and FF on the NES completely soured me on the genre as a kid.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My first FF game was FF1, so I guess it would be pre. But even still, I've never been a HUGE fan of the series. I never understood the divide on FF7, and I never really grasped the crazy fandom of FF6. I do, however, side with the FF8 hate. Could not get into that game at all because of the stupid draw cast mechanic.

Final Fantasy for the NES was my first experience in the franchise.

Final Fantasy II (IV) for the SNES was the game that hooked me though.

First started with 9 and fell in love with it. It was a rental and my mom bought me 7 by mistake and it too was wonderful. After that every release on the ps1 including the older games were must haves for me.

Mupod

Technically, I became a fan after its release.

I had FF1 as a kid, but it was too hard for me. I actually went back and finished it in the late-ish 90s after 7 had come out. FF7 was the second FF game I played, on the PC version. Afterwards I relentlessly went through almost the whole series. I kinda fell out of 'fandom' after X was so disappointing to me.

[NaK]

I was twelve in 1997, and Final Fantasy VII was my first RPG/Final Fantasy.
Since english isn't my first language, the text dialogue was a problem at times, but we were a couple of "nerds" in school who started playing it simultaneously, so we spent a lot of time talking about the game and helping each other.
I loved the game though.

Borrowed Final Fantasy VIII from a class mate a couple of years later, and loved it even more. Still one of my favourite games.

Didn't enjoy IX at all.
I think I prefer the sci-fi elements from VII/VIII.
I did like X, though I got tired of it pretty fast when I replayed it on Vita recently. X-2 was idiotic.

XII was interesting, but I never finished it.
Absoluyely hated XIII.

I think that the series has grown progressively worse with each new game.
I miss the ATB system, music and over world map from the older games.

Was introduced Final Fantasy VII by my best friend via PlayStation. I didn't own it so I would play it at his house anytime I sent over until I beat the game. One of my favorite games. Ifbjot for him I don't think I would've got far into the game but he helped guide me through and the summons were also my addiction.
I ended up completing FF9 with all Finals and every character level 99 and every materia duplicated. Beat both secret weapons. Maxed time at 99:99 (left PS on just cut)

Then I tried to like FF8, didn't stick.

FF9 was another great game I completed.

After that I haven't played a game but I'm on edge of getting FFXV. Enjoyed the demo but still uncertain.

I remember occasionally watching my friend's younger brother play the early FF games on NES/SNES but I didn't understand the appeal (really I guess I didn't understand the mechanics back then) so it wasn't until FF7 that I played a Final Fantasy game myself. I came to mostly understand the mechanics, and I enjoyed the story and soundtrack, but still didn't feel like JRPGs were to my taste and I never finished it. Since then I haven't played another Final Fantasy but I seem to be always on the fence about trying them. I'm definitely ready to jump in on FFXV.

Pre. Final Fantasy IV was the first FF I played, although I did watch a friend play FF VI when it came out before that. Shit absolutely blew my mind.

Rizific

post. only because i had no idea about the franchise before then despite being a huge fan of other jrpgs on the snes. it wasnt until years after ff7 that i went back to play the other FFs on emulator.

My first was a fan-translated version of Final Fantasy II for WonderSwan that I played on an emulator. I played the other translated ones, moved on to the GBA ones, and it all snowballed from there.

I wasn't introduced to Final Fantasy until late, mainly because I didn't have my first Nintendo console sans Gameboy until 2002, and my first Sony system until 2005.

M-PG71C

I became a fan with FF4.

Me too man! It was a hand-me-down from my parents but it was this game that got me into the series and RPGs in general.

I'd say 7 is what got me more into final fantasy, though I did like it before. Growing up one of my older friends would play FF3 on the SNES all day and I remember it being fun to watch. Though when I rented it myself it wasn't very good at it. Though FF7 is the first one I played all the way through.

Top Bottom