• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - [4K HDR] Red Dead Redemption 2 HDR Fix Tested! Plus Graphics 'Downgrade' Analysis

Fake

D dark10x ,Tom and Adam who write the article.
Remember when Red Dead 2 launched with 'fake' HDR - 8-bit SDR in a 10-bit HDR container? Well, Patch 1.09 addresses this spectacularly - and there's good news for those interested in the apparent ambient occlusion 'downgrade'. All this, plus PS4 Pro checkerboard analysis, is contained in this video!

This video is full 4K HDR presentation. Check your display/phone/app to see if YT HDR is supported on your viewing device! Note that SDR elements are mapped into HDR space, which then get tonemapped again on SDR screens - this may lead to colour inaccuracies.

Sumary:
- The game have a new option for HDR
- HDR style: cinematic and HDR style: Game
- John noted the 'HDR game' have a good brightness, at least better than the original
- If you select HDR style game you unlock a new option called 'Peak Brightness'
- You can make your custom callibration settings
- HDR cinematic looks the same as the standart RDR2 HDR before the patch
- Sugestion: "Setting up Red Dead 2's game mode for optimal HDR output is a relatively painless task - the calibration screen has you adjusting peak brightness until the Rockstar logo disappears. You may wish to push this a little further to accommodate for the 10 per cent drop in luminance in-game. Meanwhile, the paper white setting is essentially equivalent to the brightness of a piece of paper - in practise, think of this as the ideal level for the HUD to settle at. "
- Checking if the game indeed have some kind of downgrade
- First is ambient occlusion
- For make the comparison both games used for checking ambient occlusion need to have the same exactly daytime and almost impossible to get
- Ambient occlusion looks indeed better than the zero patch
- 1.08 vs 1.09 and show the last patch have improve some areas of the game
- 1.09 is actually using a new AO effect with improve graphics side
- Unfortunately checkerboard rendering was not fixed. Looks the same on every patch version

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So glad they fixed the AO, and took it a step further and improved it to make it look better as well than 1.00. It was sorely missing for quite some time.

SonGoku

Very good question, but I guess rockstar doesn't care at all. The proof it took 7 months to fix the damn hdr a big joke.
Weird right? they took the time to improve AO but can't be bothered to flip a switch to remove cb and target 1440p
Maybe they think it looks good

iconmaster

Banned
I've experienced the new, real HDR myself so I didn't need to be convinced, but I appreciate the detailed analysis. And better AO!

vpance

Still looks messed up I think, at least in this video. SDR is over saturated while HDR (especially cinema mode) is too desaturated.

Fake

Still looks messed up I think, at least in this video. SDR is over saturated while HDR (especially cinema mode) is too desaturated.
Check your display/phone/app to see if YT HDR is supported on your viewing device! Note that SDR elements are mapped into HDR space, which then get tonemapped again on SDR screens - this may lead to colour inaccuracies.

vpance

Check your display/phone/app to see if YT HDR is supported on your viewing device! Note that SDR elements are mapped into HDR space, which then get tonemapped again on SDR screens - this may lead to colour inaccuracies.

Ahh right, forgot about that. Was watching on PS4 YT app.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Can someone fill me in on whats wrong with the check board rendering? I was under the impression that it was just an ugly game with cbr.

Fake

Can someone fill me in on whats wrong with the check board rendering? I was under the impression that it was just an ugly game with cbr.
A bad implementation of checkerboard rendering resulting in a blurry image and many cb artefacts. More worst, even if you change your PRO settings 4K TV output for 1080p still apply checkerboard render problems with artefacts making blurry again. This don't happen only if you use a FULL HD 1080p TV. So they recommend you play RDR2 on PRO using a 1080p TV instead of a 4k TV.

Mista

Banned
Good news, wished it came earlier though. Game looked great on X1X but I’m not planning to replay the game anytime soon

nemiroff

Gold Member
HDR is why I often play my X1X on my 65 inch HDR TV more than my beefed up awesome gaming PC. But I just checked out the patch and unexpectedly i prefer the original cinematic option.. can't put my finger on it..

HDR is why I often play my X1X on my 65 inch HDR TV more than my beefed up awesome gaming PC. But I just checked out the patch and unexpectedly i prefer the original cinematic option.. can't put my finger on it..
It's more "gritty" and "realistic" for a Western aesthetic which is why I figured even I preferred the original HDR implementation. The natural world doesn't look like a colorful circus which is exactly what the SDR mode turns it into, it's exaggerated.

It's like you've taken a TV which has a color toggle from 0-64 and instead of it being at 32-36 where it should be it's at like 50 or something. It doesn't even add more color it simply over-saturates it.

Last edited:

vkbest

A bad implementation of checkerboard rendering resulting in a blurry image and many cb artefacts. More worst, even if you change your PRO settings 4K TV output for 1080p still apply checkerboard render problems with artefacts making blurry again. This don't happen only if you use a FULL HD 1080p TV. So they recommend you play RDR2 on PRO using a 1080p TV instead of a 4k TV.

That is not sense.

vkbest

Well, this is what happens when you downsample a checkerboard resolution to 1080p. They could fix that just by putting 1440p as a native resolution.

When you select 1080p as output on 4K tv it’s the same as if you are playing on 1080p tv, 1080p mode on RDR2 is not using checkerboard rendering. So it’s not possible if you are selecting 1080p resolution in your 4K tv you are seeing artifacts because checkerboard rendering

Last edited:

Fake

When you select 1080p as output on 4K tv it’s the same as if you are playing on 1080p tv, 1080p mode on RDR2 is not using checkerboard rendering. So it’s not possible if you are selecting 1080p resolution in your 4K tv you are seeing artifacts because checkerboard rendering
What you say only happens when your TV is full 1080p. If you're using a 4K tv and change the output for 1080p you still gonna get blurry image.
Just check the old DF video and see for yourself.

Last edited:

scydrex

Interesting proposition, I have a backlog of Sony titles I’m hoping get bumped to 60 on PS5. So it almost justifies my obscene backlog.

Yeah, i have some games that i want to play or replay on PS5. This game for example, i will not play it on PS4 not because it runs bad or anything... just want to play it for the first time with 60fps. Any good game and AAA game that will come out next year maybe i'll wait for the PS5 to play it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom