• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Demon's Souls Remake PS5: Gameplay Trailer Tech Breakdown + First Next-Gen Frame-Rate Analysis!

Defrop

Banned
DmC - No ray tracing
Medium (looks like shit) - 30 FPS
Halo - No ray tracing/fake 4k
Series X - development issues

Nothing running on the true hardware

DmC

Medium
Bloober Team Confirms The Medium Will Be 30FPS On Xbox Series X - Xbox News - Pure Xbox

Halo
YFEHNGI.jpg

What a Disaster

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why are people making fun of this running 1440p @60fps?
Probably because right now PS4 Pro and One X can do some games at 1440/60, as well as some 4k checkerbard or native at 30 fps.

The res and frames of DS Remake modes are no different than Pro and One X.

Nobody expects Series S to be as good as PS5 or Series X, and nobody expects 8k games either unless it's Tetris. But most gamers would assume next gen gaming can at least tidy it up so it's a 4k standard to start with. And from there 30 or 60 fps depending how fancy the visuals are.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
looks amazing. i know people want the moon and stars but the fact that this looked so good (GPU/engine wise) while running so smoothly and having such a sharp, crisp image, all of that is extremely good news.

Last edited:

Redefine07

I'm fine with 1440p/60fps if you don't like it get a PC with RTX3090 and enjoy your pixels , freaks ! You don't play the games anyways you just stare ot the image and lick it.

Lysandros

Wait, DF couldn't pixel count/differentiate from native 4K and just 'guessed' 1440P? Very professional of them as usual. It's very possible that the game use some kind of reconstruction technique but how do they know the exact base resolution used? Did they ask for confirmation from Bluepoint? I see a similar misleading logic upcoming for next gen comparisons already "While PS5 resolution seems to be native 4K at first glance, it's very possible that it's internal resolution is lower than XSX because of the power delta between the GPU's.." I'll personally go with Vgtech and Nxgamer for the comparisons.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Craig was 2160p 60fps locked, so I guess that was ... next gen?
Not saying it was your opinion but i remember on here something along the lines of. 4k 60fps and open world shouldn't be taken into consideration as its a next gen machine/game.
What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

fersnake

ray tracing looks so good, he can't even tell if it's being used, but stay tuned...

"I don't want to look stupid, so i have to check it's being used before i wax hyperbolic"

i still say RT is a gimmick that stole silicon budget

and they barely go over load times, saying it might be a downside cause you can't look at game hints or weapon models on a load screen...gtfo of here

load times this gen are epic...but these guys are all tech nerds that play machines not games...

game looks fantastic...definitely want!

why try to diminish the speed of the ssd? kinda weir from Tom to say that, expect that from Alex but Tom? well it's DF after all.

btw i think that wasnt a joke he was clearly serious.

Wait, DF couldn't pixel count/differentiate from native 4K and just 'guessed' 1440P? Very professional of them as usual. It's very possible that the game use some kind of reconstruction technique but how do they know the exact base resolution used? Did they ask for confirmation from Bluepoint? I see a similar misleading logic upcoming for next gen comparisons already "While PS5 resolution seems to be native 4K at first glance, it's very possible that it's internal resolution is lower than XSX because of the power delta between the GPU's.." I'll personally go with Vgtech and Nxgamer for the comparisons.
They are just being polite to the crazies.
Even on the first video shown, the 4k/30fps one, they spotted that the scene with the monster was 1440p

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Probably because right now PS4 Pro and One X can do some games at 1440/60, as well as some 4k checkerbard or native at 30 fps.

The res and frames of DS Remake modes are no different than Pro and One X.

Nobody expects Series S to be as good as PS5 or Series X, and nobody expects 8k games either unless it's Tetris. But most gamers would assume next gen gaming can at least tidy it up so it's a 4k standard to start with. And from there 30 or 60 fps depending how fancy the visuals are.
Most gamers falling for 4k marketing hype bullshit.

here’s the test: does the image look good or not? Hell they even said they can’t really tell a difference between 4k and 1440p here because the image is so sharp. Isn’t that all that matters?
I’ll gladly take 1440p/60 with all the bells and whistles over trying to get to a worthless 4k number. It’s not worth the extra gpu cost.

Ar¢tos

I expect MP to be "host setting" rather than splitting the player base into 30fps and 60fps. With that fast I/O it should be doable to change game modes from 30<->60 in less than 1 sec to match the host (syncing connections between players will probably take longer than reloading assets and changing settings).

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
When the gameplay was shown during the event, the almost universal reaction was how great it looks and this is probably the most next gen looking game shown by any studio on any hardware.

Why are people now (weeks later) suddenly worried about the native resolution if the results look so good? I just don't get it. Yes there will be plenty of 4K native 60fps games on both consoles, but most will not look half as good as this, yet some lunatics will value those over this beauty because it suits their agenda. 🤦‍♂️

When the gameplay was shown during the event, the almost universal reaction was how great it looks and this is probably the most next gen looking game shown by any studio on any hardware.

Why are people now (weeks later) suddenly worried about the native resolution if the results look so good? I just don't get it. Yes there will be plenty of 4K native 60fps games on both consoles, but most will not look half as good as this, yet some lunatics will value those over this beauty because it suits their agenda. 🤦‍♂️
Dude, a bunch of people were cursing at me and having nervous breakdowns on the troll thread when I replied (after being asked) back when video was released that this is not the "best case example of next gen" by far. Feel free to look back on that.
So if by "universal reaction" you mean "fanboy circle jerk and attacks" then I agree.

Ok, we get it, its the main ps5 launch exclusive, but some guys really need to get a grip.

Darius87

The game may use RT, but there is no clarification that RT is running in both modes.
key word: addition
In addition to beautiful shadow effects and ray tracing, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.
how is this not clarification? it says in addition to RT.

If that was so, they would have shown it in depth like every other RT demo that has been shown.
so you think its not RT because devs didn't pointed with finger and said it's RT?
source.gif

here you go guys from now on devs must go in depth with technical analysis to confirm it's RT because everyone else do so(which they not).
this isn't kindergarden devs do whatever they wan't.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dude, a bunch of people were cursing at me and having nervous breakdowns on the troll thread when I replied (after being asked) back when video was released that this is not the "best case example of next gen" by far. Feel free to look back on that.
So if by "universal reaction" you mean "fanboy circle jerk and attacks" then I agree.

Ok, we get it, its the main ps5 launch exclusive, but some guys really need to get a grip.
You conveniently missed the fact that I said the word almost before universal. But fair enough.

I'm still yet to see anything better than this, although hopefully we'll look back in time and see many games surpass this level.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Because before some were trying to put it down (some for their console warrior reasons and then play the innocent victim card) without having a clear complaint to throw against the game (and those would not stick) and when the resolution was announced they finally thought they had something that would stick.

FeiRR

Banned
You conveniently missed the fact that I said the word almost before universal. But fair enough.

I'm still yet to see anything better than this, although hopefully we'll look back in time and see many games surpass this level.
We will, without any doubt. Bluepoint is a third party developer (yet) with proven history of great ports but those are still ports. It's a different story to design and build your own game from scratch. Next year we should see first games designed around the new IO paradigm, without this gen limitations. I'm betting on God of War: Ragnarok being the first such game. And then Naughty Dog...

Yoboman

Gold Member
We will, without any doubt. Bluepoint is a third party developer (yet) with proven history of great ports but those are still ports. It's a different story to design and build your own game from scratch. Next year we should see first games designed around the new IO paradigm, without this gen limitations. I'm betting on God of War: Ragnarok being the first such game. And then Naughty Dog...
On the other hand they have learned their craft at the hands of some of the best games in history. They are basically the ultimate apprentice devs

MGS, Uncharted, Team ICO, Demons Souls. They know what makes these games work from a technical and gameplay level- going as far as to recreate that game feel for ground up remakes. A unique mix of Western and Japanese talents

And they've progressed to being one of the most technically competent developers around

So if they do get around to making their own IP, I am very interested to know what their game is like

TonyK

What I don't like is, how they changed all the bleak and titanic looking architecture into something that is way more playful and detailed.

I loved how overpowering and monolithic the architecture looked in the old game.
It's true. The massive shapes and emptiness of the original evokes on me feelings of solitude and lack of hope. I love that from Miyazaki games.

But at the same time I like how they have reimagined the world, because I feel it as a new game, not the same with a new coat of paint.

I don't know which option is better but the good news for me is that I feel I want to play this game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
They just have to fix the animations and recover some of the atmosphere they lost and we are good to go.

GymWolf

Gold Member
How funny that people can't even tell if the most important groundbreaking gimmic...piece of tech of the last years is there or not...

This is gonna be a fun and dynamic shadowed nextgen for the so-called experts and rtx enthusiasts...

Last edited:
Does everyone here have 4k TVs or something? I literally have no idea if mine is 4k or not - what difference will it make? Honest question. I’ve never really payed attention to resolution

Radical_3d

This game looks so crisp clear in my 4K tv that until Tom mentioned it I thought it was native. They must be using some sort of ML reconstruction that is God tier. I hope that is the future of this machines because clearly 10-12TF is not enough for a native 4K that nobody can tell apart anyways.

VFXVeteran

Banned
key word: addition

In addition to beautiful shadow effects and ray tracing, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.
how is this not clarification? it says in addition to RT.

So you think they are using RT for both modes. Let's just wait and see in Nov.

pawel86ck

Banned
I like how character models blend perfectly with the world. When they are facing the light I can still see bounced lighting on their shadowed side. Without RT shadowed side lighting would be either totally flat, or too dark (crushed blacks), so it's possible they may be using RT GI, or some less expensive implementation similar to SVOGI.

Amusing seeing folk bring up the Pro & One X having games at 1440p as if it is some kind of slight against the Ps5 that a game has a 1440p/60 mode. GAF is always good for a chuckle with my cinnamon Grahams in the morning.

Top Bottom